some TomEE 8 work towards Java16 support

some TomEE 8 work towards Java16 support

Mark Struberg-2
hi there!

I'm right now in the middle of some refactoring to update TomEE8 to the latest OWB version.
I also did need to tweak some internals to better deal with eventing for EARs.
It's mostly corner cases like making sure that things like ProcessInjectionPoint triggered by InjectionFactory#createInjectionTarget also end up in parent EAR libs.
Right now running the full build with all the TCKs. The CDI TCKs do all pass again already.

Will keep you updated...

LieGrue,
strub

Re: some TomEE 8 work towards Java16 support

cocorossello
Hi,

I made a PR some time ago with updates in xbean-asm, OWB and CXF to support
jdk 16 (no refactors, just upgrades).  It's working fine with JDK 16 on our
application (excluding openJPA).

The only problem right now is that OpenJPA is using xbean-asm8, but a
snapshot will do as well.

https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/693
Just in case it helps a bit.

Best regards,
Vicente.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:07 AM Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> hi there!
>
> I'm right now in the middle of some refactoring to update TomEE8 to the
> latest OWB version.
> I also did need to tweak some internals to better deal with eventing for
> EARs.
> It's mostly corner cases like making sure that things like
> ProcessInjectionPoint triggered by InjectionFactory#createInjectionTarget
> also end up in parent EAR libs.
> Right now running the full build with all the TCKs. The CDI TCKs do all
> pass again already.
>
> Will keep you updated...
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: some TomEE 8 work towards Java16 support

Mark Struberg-2
 Hi Vincente!
There have been a few subtle details. Mostly in the area of EAR support. OpenEJB uses some internal classes from OWB. And some of those got refactored to improve performance to use the NotifiactionManager directly. But this meant that some events did not get sent to Observers registered in EAR/lib jars. I've fixed that now with introducing a WebappNotificationManager and moved the delegation logic of events over from the BeanManager.With that change all the TCKs within our main build are green again.
And yes, will also upgrade OpenJPA and release it soon.

But it would be way cool if you could test the current master with your app and give some feedback!But let me first update OpenEJB for the latest xbean-asm9 as well.
Will ping back when done.
txs and LieGrue,strub

wrote:

> hi there!
>
> I'm right now in the middle of some refactoring to update TomEE8 to the
> latest OWB version.
> I also did need to tweak some internals to better deal with eventing for
> EARs.
> It's mostly corner cases like making sure that things like
> ProcessInjectionPoint triggered by InjectionFactory#createInjectionTarget
> also end up in parent EAR libs.
> Right now running the full build with all the TCKs. The CDI TCKs do all
> pass again already.
>
> Will keep you updated...
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: some TomEE 8 work towards Java16 support

cocorossello
Sure, just let me know when I can test

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 5:07 PM Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  Hi Vincente!
> There have been a few subtle details. Mostly in the area of EAR support.
> OpenEJB uses some internal classes from OWB. And some of those got
> refactored to improve performance to use the NotifiactionManager directly.
> But this meant that some events did not get sent to Observers registered in
> EAR/lib jars. I've fixed that now with introducing a
> WebappNotificationManager and moved the delegation logic of events over
> from the BeanManager.With that change all the TCKs within our main build
> are green again.
> And yes, will also upgrade OpenJPA and release it soon.
>
> But it would be way cool if you could test the current master with your
> app and give some feedback!But let me first update OpenEJB for the latest
> xbean-asm9 as well.
> Will ping back when done.
> txs and LieGrue,strub
>
>     On Tuesday, 2 March 2021, 16:22:44 CET, Vicente Rossello <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>
> I made a PR some time ago with updates in xbean-asm, OWB and CXF to support
> jdk 16 (no refactors, just upgrades).  It's working fine with JDK 16 on our
> application (excluding openJPA).
>
> The only problem right now is that OpenJPA is using xbean-asm8, but a
> snapshot will do as well.
>
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/693
> Just in case it helps a bit.
>
> Best regards,
> Vicente.
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 8:07 AM Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > hi there!
> >
> > I'm right now in the middle of some refactoring to update TomEE8 to the
> > latest OWB version.
> > I also did need to tweak some internals to better deal with eventing for
> > EARs.
> > It's mostly corner cases like making sure that things like
> > ProcessInjectionPoint triggered by InjectionFactory#createInjectionTarget
> > also end up in parent EAR libs.
> > Right now running the full build with all the TCKs. The CDI TCKs do all
> > pass again already.
> >
> > Will keep you updated...
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub

Re: some TomEE 8 work towards Java16 support

cocorossello
Hi,

I've made a PR to upgrade to xbean 4.18 and asm9.

https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/776

This is required for jdk16, as well as a cxf upgrade to 3.4.1 (it also
requires some decency alignment, since cxf is now using some Jakarta
artifacts). I will try to build a PR tonight.