session api discussion starter

bdudney
Hi All,

I'm getting started on putting the session api into openejb. I wanted to kick off the discussion and make sure I've got the right game plan.

First - there are notes in the pom to the effect that we want to remove direct dependence on

* activecluster/activecluster
* activemq/activemq
* wadi/wadi-core

So digging into where these dependencies are used;

ActiveMQ - is only used in one test so that dependency should be shifted to 'test' scope and left as is, perhaps with an upgrade to 4.1 (incubator-activemq/activemq-core/4.1)
ActiveCluster - is used in the same clustering code that wadi is used in.
WADI - is used in the implementation class in 'org.openejb.cluster.server'

Moving the WADI impl of clustering to another package is the way to go I think but I'd be interested in everyones thoughts on this.

The current WADI implementation does not work because of some versionitius problems with activecluster.

I tried a couple of different version combinations but could not get anything to work.

Second - getting the session api into the cluster package in openejb.

My plan of attack is to create session api oriented code in the org.openejb.cluster.server package and eventually move the WADI stuff into an alternative spot so that either implementation can be used via configuration. Then eventually have WADI sit under the session api so that the openejb code can be trimmed down and made consistent regardless of the clustering solution chosen.

Thoughts?

Re: session api discussion starter

On Jul 7, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Bill Dudney wrote:
> The current WADI implementation does not work because of some
> versionitius problems with activecluster.
> I tried a couple of different version combinations but could not
> get anything to work.

Not sure what the status of that code is.  Gianny any updates?

> My plan of attack is to create session api oriented code in the
> org.openejb.cluster.server package and eventually move the WADI
> stuff into an alternative spot so that either implementation can be
> used via configuration. Then eventually have WADI sit under the
> session api so that the openejb code can be trimmed down and made
> consistent regardless of the clustering solution chosen.

Seems like a good plan of attack.  Making the Session API the main
api and moving both impls out (wadi and whatever you're working on)
to separate packages would be fine.

We'll definitely want to nail down the concept of "what is a session
id from a client's perspective" as that'd be worked into the protocol
and used by either impl.  Ideally the concept would work in CORBA as
well so clustering is not just a "custom protocol" solution.