"How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

"How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Alex The Rocker
Hello,

Some portions of our app depends on a fix made available in TomEE 1.5.2
Snapshots early in January. Since TomEE 1.5.2 is not officially released,
we cannot rely on it yet.

Would it be possible to have a TomEE 1.5.2 release schedule?

Also,
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/directory
has no new 1.5.2 Snapshot since 13th of February, should be use
this one in order to perform our non-regression tests?

Thansk,
Alex

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

after our last discussions we upgraded the 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT version to
1.6.0-SNAPSHOT (our "trunk").

No work started on 1.5.2. I wanted to help preparing the release 1.6.0 but
we have ATM some "infra" issue due to the renaming of the project (will be
fixed soon).

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/26 Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>

> Hello,
>

> Some portions of our app depends on a fix made available in TomEE 1.5.2
> Snapshots early in January. Since TomEE 1.5.2 is not officially released,
> we cannot rely on it yet.
>
> Would it be possible to have a TomEE 1.5.2 release schedule?
>
> Also,
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/directory
> has no new 1.5.2 Snapshot since 13th of February, should be use
> this one in order to perform our non-regression tests?
>
> Thansk,
> Alex

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

smithh032772
What JIRA for that issue? 1.6.0 snapshot as well as latest 1.5.2 SNAPSHOT
working great for me in production.
 On Feb 26, 2013 8:12 AM, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>

> after our last discussions we upgraded the 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT version to
> 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT (our "trunk").
>
> No work started on 1.5.2. I wanted to help preparing the release 1.6.0 but
> we have ATM some "infra" issue due to the renaming of the project (will be
> fixed soon).
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>

> 2013/2/26 Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
>
> > Hello,
> >

> > Some portions of our app depends on a fix made available in TomEE 1.5.2
> > Snapshots early in January. Since TomEE 1.5.2 is not officially released,
> > we cannot rely on it yet.
> >
> > Would it be possible to have a TomEE 1.5.2 release schedule?
> >
> > Also,
> >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/directory
> > has no new 1.5.2 Snapshot since 13th of February, should be use
> > this one in order to perform our non-regression tests?
> >
> > Thansk,
> > Alex

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Alex The Rocker
what's you best guess for a 1.5.2 release ?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What JIRA for that issue? 1.6.0 snapshot as well as latest 1.5.2 SNAPSHOT
> working great for me in production.
>  On Feb 26, 2013 8:12 AM, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > after our last discussions we upgraded the 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT version to
> > 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT (our "trunk").
> >
> > No work started on 1.5.2. I wanted to help preparing the release 1.6.0
> but
> > we have ATM some "infra" issue due to the renaming of the project (will
> be
> > fixed soon).
> >
> > *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> > *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
> > *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
> > http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
> > *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
> > *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*
> >

> > 2013/2/26 Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >

> > > Some portions of our app depends on a fix made available in TomEE 1.5.2
> > > Snapshots early in January. Since TomEE 1.5.2 is not officially
> released,
> > > we cannot rely on it yet.
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to have a TomEE 1.5.2 release schedule?
> > >
> > > Also,
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/directory
> > > has no new 1.5.2 Snapshot since 13th of February, should be use
> > > this one in order to perform our non-regression tests?
> > >
> > > Thansk,
> > > Alex

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

smithh032772
I know I am just one person (reporting my experience), but 1.5.2 (SNAPSHOT)
worked very well for me 'without any issues', and since I love pushing
latest SNAPSHOT to 'production server', I migrated from 1.5.2 SNAPSHOT to
1.6 SNAPSHOT, and 1.6 is working just as well...'without any issues'.

So, with that said, 'IMO', 1.5.2 is definitely ready for release, but it is
all good that TomEE committers seem to want to release 1.6 instead of 1.5.2.

TomEE 1.5.0 had some (or many) reported issues when people 'first
attempted' to use 1.5.0 (while 1.5.1 SNAPSHOT was being developed). Since
then, I don't see the same type of emails sent to the email list for 1.5.1
release.

So, again, with that said, if TomEE is trying to release 1.6.0 (instead of
1.5.2), then I think it is all good that 1.6.0 is developed so that 1.6.0
'release' will have a better 'reputation' and easier-to-use-out-of-the-box
than TomEE 1.5.0. I could be wrong here, but this is FWIW. :)

I decided to respond here since I saw someone recently ask when OpenEJB
4.5.2 will be released. :)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>wrote:

> what's you best guess for a 1.5.2 release ?

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

zeeman
This post was updated on .
Just note, whether 1.5.2 or 1.6 please be sure Tomee is working in Eclipse with Tomcat server. 1.5.1 does not work. I'm looking forward to using the latest version.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

feel free to help us downloading the snapshot and testing it

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/27 zeeman <[hidden email]>

> A just note, whether 1.5.2 or 1.6 please be sure Tomee is working in
> Eclipse
> with Tomcat server. 1.5.1 does not work. I'm looking forward to using the
> latest version.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

zeeman
I tested with 1.5.2 snapshot few months ago, it was not working. I can try with 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT and let you know.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Hi Hamzah!

I've demoed 1.5.1 with Eclipse at a few conferences.  It always worked for me.  Can you paste any error messages and detail the steps you used to set it up?

-David

On Feb 27, 2013, at 7:41 AM, zeeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A just note, whether 1.5.2 or 1.6 please be sure Tomee is working in Eclipse
> with Tomcat server. 1.5.1 does not work. I'm looking forward to using the
> latest version.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Alex and everyone who prefers 1.5.2 over 1.6.0,

If we were to branch from the 1.5.1 and add merge fixes to make that the next 1.5.2, do you know which fixes you would need?  Or if there was a point of time where you thought 1.5.2 was "good", that helps too.

Getting an idea of what exactly people need will help significantly.  If we pick an arbitrary date between 1.5.1 and now and call that 1.5.2 final, we may or may not be close to what people actually need.

-David

On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what's you best guess for a 1.5.2 release ?
>

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What JIRA for that issue? 1.6.0 snapshot as well as latest 1.5.2 SNAPSHOT
>> working great for me in production.
>> On Feb 26, 2013 8:12 AM, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after our last discussions we upgraded the 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT version to
>>> 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT (our "trunk").
>>>
>>> No work started on 1.5.2. I wanted to help preparing the release 1.6.0
>> but
>>> we have ATM some "infra" issue due to the renaming of the project (will
>> be
>>> fixed soon).
>>>
>>> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
>>> *Twitter: @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau>*
>>> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<
>>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>
>>> *LinkedIn: **http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau*
>>> *Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau*

>> released,

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/directory

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

zeeman
Hi David,

I'll try again with the latest 1.6.0 snapshot and let you know. I did post my logs a while ago for the issues I had. They only happened with 1.5.1.

If you want me to try with 1.5.2 snapshot let me know.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Katya Todorova
Hi guys,

I hope this is the thread Jean-Louis had in mind.

Here are the issues that I'm interested in:
A change in org.apache.openejb.config.ConfigurationFactory.ResourceInfoComparator
that takes into account only String property values.
openejb-core 4.5.1 MANIFEST has missing import-packages -
org.apache.commons.lang3 and org.apache.openejb.api.jmx
Performance: our performance tests showed better performance of
openejb 4.5.2 over 4.5.1.

Also I would like to propose an enhancement in DeploymentLoader to
recognize web app bundle (jar with specific MANIFEST header) as a
deployment module so I was wondering whether there's a chance for that
to get in the next version?

As for when the next version to be available - I would say as soon as
possible :)

Thank you,
Katya

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM, zeeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I'll try again with the latest 1.6.0 snapshot and let you know. I did post
> my logs a while ago for the issues I had. They only happened with 1.5.1.
>
> If you want me to try with 1.5.2 snapshot let me know.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

just to mention deploying jar as war will not be for next version (needs a
lot of work first then i'm not sure of the real gain - can be discussed
after the real on its own thread)

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2013/2/28 Katya Todorova <[hidden email]>

> Hi guys,
>
> I hope this is the thread Jean-Louis had in mind.
>
> Here are the issues that I'm interested in:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-779
> A change in
> org.apache.openejb.config.ConfigurationFactory.ResourceInfoComparator
> that takes into account only String property values.
> openejb-core 4.5.1 MANIFEST has missing import-packages -
> org.apache.commons.lang3 and org.apache.openejb.api.jmx
> Performance: our performance tests showed better performance of
> openejb 4.5.2 over 4.5.1.
>
> Also I would like to propose an enhancement in DeploymentLoader to
> recognize web app bundle (jar with specific MANIFEST header) as a
> deployment module so I was wondering whether there's a chance for that
> to get in the next version?
>
> As for when the next version to be available - I would say as soon as
> possible :)
>
> Thank you,
> Katya
>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Katya,
> >
> > there is a thread also mentioning that.
> > To help us determine what we have to put on the maintenance release 1.5.2
> > (compared to the featureful 1.6.0), would be great if you could post on
> the
> > other thread, what are the issues you wanna get fixed and when would you
> > like the 1.5.2 to be available.
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> > Jean-Louis
> >

> > 2013/2/27 Katya Todorova <[hidden email]>
> >
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Do you have a rough idea when OpenEJB 4.5.2 would be released?
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Katya
> >>

> > --
> > Jean-Louis
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29 PM, zeeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > I'll try again with the latest 1.6.0 snapshot and let you know. I did
> post
> > my logs a while ago for the issues I had. They only happened with 1.5.1.
> >
> > If you want me to try with 1.5.2 snapshot let me know.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

smithh032772
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm not sure of the real gain

+1 agreed/ditto

> > Also I would like to propose an enhancement in DeploymentLoader to
> > recognize web app bundle (jar with specific MANIFEST header) as a
> > deployment module so I was wondering whether there's a chance for that
> > to get in the next version?

I never heard of this (yes, I'm 1.5 years 'new' to java web application
development, smile). I don't even remember this mentioned in Java EE (6)
tutorial, when I reviewed/studied this in Summer 2011, prior to developing
java ee web application. WAR (web archive) file is all I know to deploy to
 standard java ee container (glassfish, tomee, ...).

> > As for when the next version to be available - I would say as soon as
> > possible :)

why the rush? is this a nice-to-have feature because of your IDE or a
client-mandated requirement?

> > Thank you,
> > Katya

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Bjorn Danielsson
For me the most important fix since 1.5.1 was TOMEE-703.

I upgraded to newer snapshots a couple of times in january,
for reasons I don't remember. For the past four weeks I have
been running the snapshot labeled 20130201.041145-56, and I
have been very happy with it.

--
Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex and everyone who prefers 1.5.2 over 1.6.0,
>
> If we were to branch from the 1.5.1 and add merge fixes to make that the next 1.5.2, do you know which fixes you would need?  Or if there was a point of time where you thought 1.5.2 was "good", that helps too.
>
> Getting an idea of what exactly people need will help significantly.  If we pick an arbitrary date between 1.5.1 and now and call that 1.5.2 final, we may or may not be close to what people actually need.
>

> -David
>
> On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> what's you best guess for a 1.5.2 release ?
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> What JIRA for that issue? 1.6.0 snapshot as well as latest 1.5.2 SNAPSHOT
>>> working great for me in production.

>>> but
>>> be

>>> released,

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/directory

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

James Green
Don't know what the JIRA is for this, but we have code that supplies a
JacksonJson marshaller for JAX-RS use. This doesn't work in 1.5.1 but does
in 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT.

On 27 February 2013 18:49, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex and everyone who prefers 1.5.2 over 1.6.0,
>
> If we were to branch from the 1.5.1 and add merge fixes to make that the
> next 1.5.2, do you know which fixes you would need?  Or if there was a
> point of time where you thought 1.5.2 was "good", that helps too.
>
> Getting an idea of what exactly people need will help significantly.  If
> we pick an arbitrary date between 1.5.1 and now and call that 1.5.2 final,
> we may or may not be close to what people actually need.
>

> -David
>
> On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:59 AM, Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > what's you best guess for a 1.5.2 release ?
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> What JIRA for that issue? 1.6.0 snapshot as well as latest 1.5.2
> SNAPSHOT
> >> working great for me in production.

> >> but
> >> be

> 1.5.2
> >> released,

> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.5.2-SNAPSHOT/directory

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Katya Todorova

> i'm not sure of the real gain
We use OpenEjb in Eclipse Virgo and we deploy web application bundles
there as well as pure wars, that's why I'm asking. I imagined the fix
just as module type check modification - but it seems that there is
more behind this topic that I'm not aware of. Should we discuss the
details in another thread or there is a summary of the known problems
I can look into?

> why the rush? is this a nice-to-have feature because of your IDE or a
> client-mandated requirement?
No rush, the motivation is to consume fixes more frequently.

Thank you for the comments, guys
Katya

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i'm not sure of the real gain
>>

> +1 agreed/ditto
>

>> > Also I would like to propose an enhancement in DeploymentLoader to
>> > recognize web app bundle (jar with specific MANIFEST header) as a
>> > deployment module so I was wondering whether there's a chance for that
>> > to get in the next version?
>>

> I never heard of this (yes, I'm 1.5 years 'new' to java web application
> development, smile). I don't even remember this mentioned in Java EE (6)
> tutorial, when I reviewed/studied this in Summer 2011, prior to developing
> java ee web application. WAR (web archive) file is all I know to deploy to
>  standard java ee container (glassfish, tomee, ...).
>

>> > As for when the next version to be available - I would say as soon as
>> > possible :)
>>

> why the rush? is this a nice-to-have feature because of your IDE or a
> client-mandated requirement?
>

>> > Thank you,
>> > Katya

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

Romain Manni-Bucau
I know about osgi world and karafee was originally here for it so yes
another thread please ;)
Le 28 févr. 2013 16:34, "Katya Todorova" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hi,
>
> > i'm not sure of the real gain
> We use OpenEjb in Eclipse Virgo and we deploy web application bundles
> there as well as pure wars, that's why I'm asking. I imagined the fix
> just as module type check modification - but it seems that there is
> more behind this topic that I'm not aware of. Should we discuss the
> details in another thread or there is a summary of the known problems
> I can look into?
>
> > why the rush? is this a nice-to-have feature because of your IDE or a
> > client-mandated requirement?
> No rush, the motivation is to consume fixes more frequently.
>
> Thank you for the comments, guys
> Katya
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i'm not sure of the real gain
> >>

> > +1 agreed/ditto

> > I never heard of this (yes, I'm 1.5 years 'new' to java web application
> > development, smile). I don't even remember this mentioned in Java EE (6)
> > tutorial, when I reviewed/studied this in Summer 2011, prior to
> developing
> > java ee web application. WAR (web archive) file is all I know to deploy
> >  standard java ee container (glassfish, tomee, ...).

> > why the rush? is this a nice-to-have feature because of your IDE or a
> > client-mandated requirement?

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

zeeman
For me in 1.6.0-SNAPSHOT is the fix with parallel deployment and datasources. Don't have the JIRA issues at hand.

Re: "How far are we from a TomEE 1.5.2 release?"

ymaraner
The one fix I am most interested in is the one discussed here: http://openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/How-to-package-an-EJB3-1-WebService-in-an-EAR-tp4659793p4660045.html
Romain Manni-Bucau wrote
TOMEE-668 and this commit (just tracked on TOMEE-699)
We have a commercial release of our product coming out soon and the released version of TomEE 1.5.1 prevents our EAR from deploying successfully. The resolution for this issue being included in 1.5.2 within the next few days or couple of weeks will make a huge difference.
- Tim
12