org.apache.commons.codec filtered by the classloader but not provided by TomEE WebProfile

org.apache.commons.codec filtered by the classloader but not provided by TomEE WebProfile

Violeta Georgieva
Hi,

I have an EAR file with "lib" folder that contains "commons-codec" and a
WAR file that uses the libraries located in the "lib" folder. I do not have
issues with the other libraries in that folder but with "commons-codec" I
receive the exception below.

I'm using TomEE 7.0.4 WebProfile and in that distribution there is no
"commons-codec" provided by TomEE itself because of this I'm providing it
with the EAR file.

While debugging I saw that "org.apache.commons.codec" is intentionally
filtered by the classloader

https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/util/classloader/URLClassLoaderFirst.java#L305

How it is supposed to provide this library so that my application can use
it?

Thanks,
Violeta

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64
        org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1285)
        org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomEEWebappClassLoader.loadClass(TomEEWebappClassLoader.java:208)
        org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)

Re: org.apache.commons.codec filtered by the classloader but not provided by TomEE WebProfile

jgallimore
Sounds like a mistake. I'm getting ready to do a release, so I'll check
that out first. Thanks for flagging that up.

Jon

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Violeta Georgieva <[hidden email]>

> I have an EAR file with "lib" folder that contains "commons-codec" and a
> WAR file that uses the libraries located in the "lib" folder. I do not have
> issues with the other libraries in that folder but with "commons-codec" I
> receive the exception below.
>
> I'm using TomEE 7.0.4 WebProfile and in that distribution there is no
> "commons-codec" provided by TomEE itself because of this I'm providing it
> with the EAR file.
>
> While debugging I saw that "org.apache.commons.codec" is intentionally
> filtered by the classloader
>
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/
> openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/util/classloader/
> URLClassLoaderFirst.java#L305
>
> How it is supposed to provide this library so that my application can use
> it?
>
> Thanks,
> Violeta
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64
>         org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(
> WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1285)
>         org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomEEWebappClassLoader.loadClass(
> TomEEWebappClassLoader.java:208)
>         org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(
> WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)

Re: org.apache.commons.codec filtered by the classloader but not provided by TomEE WebProfile

Violeta Georgieva

>:
>
> Sounds like a mistake. I'm getting ready to do a release, so I'll check
> that out first. Thanks for flagging that up.

I see you are discussing TomEE 7.0.5 work, should I create an issue for
this one?

Thanks,
Violeta

> Jon
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Violeta Georgieva <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an EAR file with "lib" folder that contains "commons-codec" and a
> > WAR file that uses the libraries located in the "lib" folder. I do not
have
> > issues with the other libraries in that folder but with "commons-codec"
> > receive the exception below.
> >
> > I'm using TomEE 7.0.4 WebProfile and in that distribution there is no
> > "commons-codec" provided by TomEE itself because of this I'm providing
it

> > with the EAR file.
> >
> > While debugging I saw that "org.apache.commons.codec" is intentionally
> > filtered by the classloader
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/
> > openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/util/classloader/
> > URLClassLoaderFirst.java#L305
> >
> > How it is supposed to provide this library so that my application can
use

> > it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Violeta
> >
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.codec.binary.Base64
> >         org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(
> > WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1285)
> >         org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomEEWebappClassLoader.loadClass(
> > TomEEWebappClassLoader.java:208)
> >         org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(
> > WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)

Re: org.apache.commons.codec filtered by the classloader but not provided by TomEE WebProfile

jgallimore
Yes please!

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Violeta Georgieva <[hidden email]>

> >:
> >
> > Sounds like a mistake. I'm getting ready to do a release, so I'll check
> > that out first. Thanks for flagging that up.
>
> I see you are discussing TomEE 7.0.5 work, should I create an issue for
> this one?
>
> Thanks,
> Violeta
>
> > Jon
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Violeta Georgieva <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an EAR file with "lib" folder that contains "commons-codec" and
> > > WAR file that uses the libraries located in the "lib" folder. I do not
> have
> > > issues with the other libraries in that folder but with "commons-codec"
> > > receive the exception below.
> > >
> > > I'm using TomEE 7.0.4 WebProfile and in that distribution there is no
> > > "commons-codec" provided by TomEE itself because of this I'm providing
> it
> > > with the EAR file.
> > >
> > > While debugging I saw that "org.apache.commons.codec" is intentionally
> > > filtered by the classloader
> > >
> > > https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/container/
> > > openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/util/classloader/
> > > URLClassLoaderFirst.java#L305
> > >
> > > How it is supposed to provide this library so that my application can
> use
> > > it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Violeta
> > >
> > > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.codec.
> binary.Base64
> > >         org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(
> > > WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1285)
> > >         org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomEEWebappClassLoader.loadClass(
> > > TomEEWebappClassLoader.java:208)
> > >         org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(
> > > WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1119)

Re: org.apache.commons.codec filtered by the classloader but not provided by TomEE WebProfile

Violeta Georgieva
>:
>
> Yes please!

Here it is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2183