[openejb-dev] Clustering

Jeff Genender-4
I am going to start looking at clustering in OpenEJB with WADI.  I
understand that perhaps a few of you co-committers may have looked at
this before and I was wondering if you had any information you wanted to
share ;-)

Jeff

Re: [openejb-dev] Clustering

Jeremy Whitlock
Jeff,
Gianny and I have looked into this and figured that it would need to be
developed along side the caching implementation. Gianny has already put
together some code for the OpenEJB2 codebase and we haven't talked about
since he went on vacation a few weeks ago. I think we all, those that are
interested in this, need to put together a Wiki or something to keep us all
on the same page as far as schedule, tasks and planning. I do think that
nothing really significant will happen until after 1.0 but I could be wrong.

Take care,
Jeremy

On 11/17/05, Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am going to start looking at clustering in OpenEJB with WADI. I
> understand that perhaps a few of you co-committers may have looked at
> this before and I was wondering if you had any information you wanted to
> share ;-)
>
> Jeff

Re: [openejb-dev] Clustering

Jeff Genender-4
Great.  This is at the top of our list at WADI and it would be a great
compliment to what has been going on over here.  If you have that Wiki
info for what's been done and found so far, this would be very helpful.
  This is a great idea.

This is actually one of our top priorities in WADI, so I personally will
be devoting a significant amount to this.  So lets definitely work
together on making this happen and share info ;-)

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeremy Whitlock wrote:

> Jeff,
> Gianny and I have looked into this and figured that it would need to be
> developed along side the caching implementation. Gianny has already put
> together some code for the OpenEJB2 codebase and we haven't talked about
> since he went on vacation a few weeks ago. I think we all, those that are
> interested in this, need to put together a Wiki or something to keep us all
> on the same page as far as schedule, tasks and planning. I do think that
> nothing really significant will happen until after 1.0 but I could be wrong.
>
> Take care,
> Jeremy
>
> On 11/17/05, Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am going to start looking at clustering in OpenEJB with WADI. I
>> understand that perhaps a few of you co-committers may have looked at
>> this before and I was wondering if you had any information you wanted to
>> share ;-)
>>
>> Jeff

Re: [openejb-dev] Clustering

Jeremy Whitlock
Jeff,
I could put together some Wiki information and put it online before the end
of the day. I got real work, the one that pays my check, to do most of today
but I can probably get the Wiki created and with initial documentation
today. Then you can get involved with updating the Wiki as well. We should
probably get Gianny involved and probably David. Let me know if i can do
anything else.

Take care,
Jeremy

On 11/17/05, Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great. This is at the top of our list at WADI and it would be a great
> compliment to what has been going on over here. If you have that Wiki
> info for what's been done and found so far, this would be very helpful.
> This is a great idea.
>
> This is actually one of our top priorities in WADI, so I personally will
> be devoting a significant amount to this. So lets definitely work
> together on making this happen and share info ;-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff
>
> Jeremy Whitlock wrote:
> > Jeff,
> > Gianny and I have looked into this and figured that it would need to be
> > developed along side the caching implementation. Gianny has already put
> > together some code for the OpenEJB2 codebase and we haven't talked about
> > since he went on vacation a few weeks ago. I think we all, those that
> are
> > interested in this, need to put together a Wiki or something to keep us
> all
> > on the same page as far as schedule, tasks and planning. I do think that
> > nothing really significant will happen until after 1.0 but I could be
> wrong.
> >
> > Take care,
> > Jeremy
> >
> > On 11/17/05, Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I am going to start looking at clustering in OpenEJB with WADI. I
> >> understand that perhaps a few of you co-committers may have looked at
> >> this before and I was wondering if you had any information you wanted
> >> share ;-)
> >>
> >> Jeff

Re: [openejb-dev] Clustering

Jeff Genender-4
Fantastic.  Yes...don't upset the guy who pays you ;-)  Whenever you can
get to it, that would be great.

Thanks so much!

Jeff

Jeremy Whitlock wrote:

> Jeff,
> I could put together some Wiki information and put it online before the end
> of the day. I got real work, the one that pays my check, to do most of today
> but I can probably get the Wiki created and with initial documentation
> today. Then you can get involved with updating the Wiki as well. We should
> probably get Gianny involved and probably David. Let me know if i can do
> anything else.
>
> Take care,
> Jeremy
>
> On 11/17/05, Jeff Genender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Great. This is at the top of our list at WADI and it would be a great
>> compliment to what has been going on over here. If you have that Wiki
>> info for what's been done and found so far, this would be very helpful.
>> This is a great idea.
>>
>> This is actually one of our top priorities in WADI, so I personally will
>> be devoting a significant amount to this. So lets definitely work
>> together on making this happen and share info ;-)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> Jeremy Whitlock wrote:
>>> Jeff,
>>> Gianny and I have looked into this and figured that it would need to be
>>> developed along side the caching implementation. Gianny has already put
>>> together some code for the OpenEJB2 codebase and we haven't talked about
>>> since he went on vacation a few weeks ago. I think we all, those that
>> are
>>> interested in this, need to put together a Wiki or something to keep us
>> all
>>> on the same page as far as schedule, tasks and planning. I do think that
>>> nothing really significant will happen until after 1.0 but I could be
>> wrong.
>>> Take care,
>>> Jeremy

Re: [openejb-dev] Clustering

GDamour2
Hi Jeff,

As a matter of fact, I am already started to work on this.

So far, the updates are::
? modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/RequestInfo.java
? modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/ResponseInfo.java
? modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/naming/RemoteEJBAddr.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/AppClientJNDIContext.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/Client.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBHomeHandle.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBHomeHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBHomeProxyHandle.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBInvocationHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBObjectHandle.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBObjectHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBObjectProxyHandle.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EJBResponse.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EntityEJBHomeHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/EntityEJBObjectHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/JNDIContext.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/JNDIResponse.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/StatefulEJBHomeHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/StatefulEJBObjectHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/StatelessEJBHomeHandler.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/StatelessEJBObjectHandler.java
modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/naming/RemoteEJBObjectFactory.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/client/naming/RemoteEJBRefAddr.java
M modules/core/src/java/org/openejb/server/ejbd/ClientObjectFactory.java
modules/openejb-builder/src/java/org/openejb/deployment/RemoteEJBReferenceBuilder.java

In a few words, client EJB proxies use now under the cover a list of
servers hosting the bean. When a server services a client request, the
server can propagate to the client a new list of servers, which can be
used for subsequent operations by the requesting client. (I will add a
load-balancing strategy to choose amongst this server list).

I have been playing with WADI to understand how to use the API. I think
that I understand enough of it to now hook it in. Having said that, it
seems to me that we will need some refactoring to be able to re-use the
various Contextualiser implementations. Basically, I think that the
servlet specific parameters should be wrapped within an invocation context.

I will now start to work on an org.openejb.cache.InstanceCache
implementation using under the cover WADI. In this first impl. I would
like to have a memory, cluster and database contextualiser stack
running. I should have something in an acceptable state mid-next week.

I will post this week-end a proposal for the new
Contextualiser.contextualise method.

Thanks,
Gianny

Jeff Genender wrote:

> I am going to start looking at clustering in OpenEJB with WADI.  I
> understand that perhaps a few of you co-committers may have looked at
> this before and I was wondering if you had any information you wanted
> to share ;-)
>
> Jeff

Re: [openejb-dev] Clustering

GDamour2
Jeff,

I have submitted a "preview" patch addressing the refactoring that I was
talking about: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/WADI-9*.*

I think that this API is much more open than the previous one as we can
now re-use the various Contextualizer implementations. I still need to
work a couple of days to complete the clustered InstanceCache
implementation. Meanwhile, could you please review this preview and
voice your concerns? Keep in mind, that I will post a second and final
patch upon completion of this task, say in 3 to 4 days.

Thanks,
Gianny

Gianny Damour wrote:

> [...]
> re-use the various Contextualiser implementations. Basically, I think
> that the servlet specific parameters should be wrapped within an
> invocation context.
>
> I will now start to work on an org.openejb.cache.InstanceCache
> implementation using under the cover WADI. In this first impl. I would
> like to have a memory, cluster and database contextualiser stack
> running. I should have something in an acceptable state mid-next week.
>
> I will post this week-end a proposal for the new
> Contextualiser.contextualise method.
>
> Thanks,
> Gianny
>
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> I am going to start looking at clustering in OpenEJB with WADI.  I
>> understand that perhaps a few of you co-committers may have looked at
>> this before and I was wondering if you had any information you wanted

Re: [openejb-dev] Clustering

Jeff Genender-4
Excellent!  Thanks so much!