old openejb site is still top ranked in google!

old openejb site is still top ranked in google!

Mark Struberg-2
Hi!

I just wanted to show my colleague how to install TomEE locally.
When searching for "tomee" the old openejb site still pops up on top
http://openejb.apache.org/apache-tomee.html

And this download section only has a 7.0.2 version and misses 7.0.3...

We should shut down openejb.apache.org and replace it with a redirect to https://tomee.apache.org.
Wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: old openejb site is still top ranked in google!

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Mark,

it is already the same site but we can test if the host has openejb and if
so do the redirection probably
download section is also up to date, you probably just used a wrong link ->
http://openejb.apache.org/download-ng.html.
http://tomee.apache.org/downloads.html was kept as part of the "don't
remove the old site" but is outdated.

We have a pending task to add a banner on all old pages to show it is no
more maintained.

> Hi!
>
> I just wanted to show my colleague how to install TomEE locally.
> When searching for "tomee" the old openejb site still pops up on top
> http://openejb.apache.org/apache-tomee.html
>
> And this download section only has a 7.0.2 version and misses 7.0.3...
>
> We should shut down openejb.apache.org and replace it with a redirect to
> https://tomee.apache.org.
> Wdyt?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: old openejb site is still top ranked in google!

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just wanted to show my colleague how to install TomEE locally.
> When searching for "tomee" the old openejb site still pops up on top
> http://openejb.apache.org/apache-tomee.html
>
> And this download section only has a 7.0.2 version and misses 7.0.3...
>
> We should shut down openejb.apache.org and replace it with a redirect to
> https://tomee.apache.org.
> Wdyt?

I agree. Perhaps a redirect with a delay, so we can show a message showing
the new URL, although I'm not sure how that would affect search engines...

Re: old openejb site is still top ranked in google!

agumbrecht
+1 for redirect, but maybe worth using the google advice?
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/83106?hl=en

On 13 July 2017 at 11:18, Jonathan Gallimore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just wanted to show my colleague how to install TomEE locally.
> > When searching for "tomee" the old openejb site still pops up on top
> > http://openejb.apache.org/apache-tomee.html
> >
> > And this download section only has a 7.0.2 version and misses 7.0.3...
> >
> > We should shut down openejb.apache.org and replace it with a redirect to
> > https://tomee.apache.org.
> > Wdyt?
> >

> I agree. Perhaps a redirect with a delay, so we can show a message showing
> the new URL, although I'm not sure how that would affect search engines...

  Andy Gumbrecht
  https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe
    Andy Gumbrecht

    http://www.tomitribe.com
    agumbrecht@tomitribe.com
    https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

    TomEE treibt Tomitribe ! | http://tomee.apache.org

Re: old openejb site is still top ranked in google!

Mark Struberg-2
That sounds like a plan!
Can you take over this task?

txs and LieGrue,
strub

> Am 13.07.2017 um 11:22 schrieb Andy Gumbrecht <[hidden email]>:
>
> +1 for redirect, but maybe worth using the google advice?
> https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/83106?hl=en
>
> On 13 July 2017 at 11:18, Jonathan Gallimore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]
>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I just wanted to show my colleague how to install TomEE locally.
>>> When searching for "tomee" the old openejb site still pops up on top
>>> http://openejb.apache.org/apache-tomee.html
>>>
>>> And this download section only has a 7.0.2 version and misses 7.0.3...
>>>
>>> We should shut down openejb.apache.org and replace it with a redirect to
>>> https://tomee.apache.org.
>>> Wdyt?
>>>

>> I agree. Perhaps a redirect with a delay, so we can show a message showing
>> the new URL, although I'm not sure how that would affect search engines...
>>
>> Jon
>>

> --
>  Andy Gumbrecht
>  https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe
>  http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: old openejb site is still top ranked in google!

agumbrecht
Sure, I'll try and follow up at the weekend, but busy. So might be next
week before I could action it.

Andy.