next version?

we are still in x.6.0-SNAPSHOT on trunk

what do we decide for "+1" version? x.6.1-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
or 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT or sthg else?

first is the "logical" one but means we still target JavaEE6,
2.0.0 is good for tomee but as said in another thread I'd like to
align openejb and tomee
5.0.0 comes from this last point

I propose to keep this thread up a bit if there is discussion and then
maybe throw a vote.

wdyt?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: next version?

David Blevins-2
My gut says we'd be wise to see 1.6.x through to stability before we start a new major version.

Past evidence would suggest that absolutely no one would commit to the stable branch if there was a more fun trunk to work on.

-David

On Nov 21, 2013, at 1:17 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> we are still in x.6.0-SNAPSHOT on trunk
>
> what do we decide for "+1" version? x.6.1-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> or 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT or sthg else?
>
> first is the "logical" one but means we still target JavaEE6,
> 2.0.0 is good for tomee but as said in another thread I'd like to
> align openejb and tomee
> 5.0.0 comes from this last point
>
> I propose to keep this thread up a bit if there is discussion and then
> maybe throw a vote.
>
> wdyt?
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

Re: next version?

Le 22 nov. 2013 22:43, "David Blevins" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> My gut says we'd be wise to see 1.6.x through to stability before we start
> a new major version.
>
> Past evidence would suggest that absolutely no one would commit to the
> stable branch if there was a more fun trunk to work on.
>

> -David
>
> On Nov 21, 2013, at 1:17 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > we are still in x.6.0-SNAPSHOT on trunk
> >
> > what do we decide for "+1" version? x.6.1-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> > or 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT or sthg else?
> >
> > first is the "logical" one but means we still target JavaEE6,
> > 2.0.0 is good for tomee but as said in another thread I'd like to
> > align openejb and tomee
> > 5.0.0 comes from this last point
> >
> > I propose to keep this thread up a bit if there is discussion and then
> > maybe throw a vote.
> >
> > wdyt?
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > Twitter: @rmannibucau
> > Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
> > LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
> > Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: next version?

Alex The Rocker
+1 to David's suggestion.

May I suggest that you guys post a tentative release schedule, like Apache
Kafka folks recently did here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Future+release+plan

Thanks,
Alex.

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>wrote:

> My gut says we'd be wise to see 1.6.x through to stability before we start
> a new major version.
>
> Past evidence would suggest that absolutely no one would commit to the
> stable branch if there was a more fun trunk to work on.
>

> -David
>
> On Nov 21, 2013, at 1:17 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > we are still in x.6.0-SNAPSHOT on trunk
> >
> > what do we decide for "+1" version? x.6.1-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> > or 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT or sthg else?
> >
> > first is the "logical" one but means we still target JavaEE6,
> > 2.0.0 is good for tomee but as said in another thread I'd like to
> > align openejb and tomee
> > 5.0.0 comes from this last point
> >
> > I propose to keep this thread up a bit if there is discussion and then
> > maybe throw a vote.
> >
> > wdyt?
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > Twitter: @rmannibucau
> > Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
> > LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
> > Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: next version?

Bjorn Danielsson
Ideally TomEE would have a version number that tracks both
the Java EE version and the Tomcat version, while it is also
matching the OpenEJB version. But satisfying all of this is
obviously impossible, so why not just bump the TomEE version
to match the OpenEJB version at the next opportunity?

--
Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> we are still in x.6.0-SNAPSHOT on trunk
>
> what do we decide for "+1" version? x.6.1-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> or 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT or sthg else?
>
> first is the "logical" one but means we still target JavaEE6,
> 2.0.0 is good for tomee but as said in another thread I'd like to
> align openejb and tomee
> 5.0.0 comes from this last point
>
> I propose to keep this thread up a bit if there is discussion and then
> maybe throw a vote.
>
> wdyt?
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> Twitter: @rmannibucau

Re: next version?

David Blevins-2
More a note to Romain as I've not seen anyone else propose changing the version number to match OpenEJB.  To be honest, I'm not sure what this would give us.

It wouldn't make releases any easier or harder.

-David

On Nov 24, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Bjorn Danielsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ideally TomEE would have a version number that tracks both
> the Java EE version and the Tomcat version, while it is also
> matching the OpenEJB version. But satisfying all of this is
> obviously impossible, so why not just bump the TomEE version
> to match the OpenEJB version at the next opportunity?
>
> --
> Bjorn Danielsson
> Cuspy Code AB
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> we are still in x.6.0-SNAPSHOT on trunk
>>
>> what do we decide for "+1" version? x.6.1-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
>> or 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT or sthg else?
>>
>> first is the "logical" one but means we still target JavaEE6,
>> 2.0.0 is good for tomee but as said in another thread I'd like to
>> align openejb and tomee
>> 5.0.0 comes from this last point
>>
>> I propose to keep this thread up a bit if there is discussion and then
>> maybe throw a vote.
>>
>> wdyt?
>>
>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> Twitter: @rmannibucau

Re: next version?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Not sure David, this would at least allow us to use mvn release plugin and
avoid current state where trunk is the snapqhot of the already released
version. It would also allow an easier code mintainance regarding version
(we use it in several places, pom and java).
Le 24 nov. 2013 23:23, "David Blevins" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> More a note to Romain as I've not seen anyone else propose changing the
> version number to match OpenEJB.  To be honest, I'm not sure what this
> would give us.
>
> It wouldn't make releases any easier or harder.
>

> -David
>
> On Nov 24, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Bjorn Danielsson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ideally TomEE would have a version number that tracks both
> > the Java EE version and the Tomcat version, while it is also
> > matching the OpenEJB version. But satisfying all of this is
> > obviously impossible, so why not just bump the TomEE version
> > to match the OpenEJB version at the next opportunity?
> >
> > --
> > Bjorn Danielsson
> > Cuspy Code AB
> >

> > Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> we are still in x.6.0-SNAPSHOT on trunk
> >>
> >> what do we decide for "+1" version? x.6.1-SNAPSHOT or 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> >> or 5.0.0-SNAPSHOT or sthg else?
> >>
> >> first is the "logical" one but means we still target JavaEE6,
> >> 2.0.0 is good for tomee but as said in another thread I'd like to
> >> align openejb and tomee
> >> 5.0.0 comes from this last point
> >>
> >> I propose to keep this thread up a bit if there is discussion and then
> >> maybe throw a vote.
> >>
> >> wdyt?
> >>
> >> Romain Manni-Bucau
> >> Twitter: @rmannibucau
> >> Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
> >> LinkedIn: http://fr.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau
> >> Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

Re: next version?

gmatej
Hello All.

Comming from Glassfish backgound I also find OpenEJB -TomEE versioning
confusing. So making the vesions equal sound good to me. Mergin version
numbers with Java EE is probably not necessary as no other Java AS doest
this I think.

I would even rename it, like TomEE-OpenEjB or something.:) As most uses
migrating fom Jboss and especially  now GF will maybe get a litlle
confused. Or maybe I don't understand it clearly.

Romain +1

BR
MAtej