javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Kalyan
Thanks Jon!
I will try this.

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

jgallimore
FYI There's a handful of test failures on my full build here. Not sure if
they are related to my change or not yet.

Jon

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 10:28 PM Kalyan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jon!
> I will try this.

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Kalyan
oh okay.
thanks for the update

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

jgallimore
The test failures look unrelated, I get the same with master.

To test it out, I'd suggest building OpenEJB with that patch, and trying it
on your own development machine with a database connection pool size of
one. If your connection isn't returned the pool, you'll know about it
quickly :)

Jon

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, 16:16 Kalyan, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> oh okay.
> thanks for the update

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Kalyan
Hello Jon,
I just put your code BasicManagedDataSource and tested with some load test.
I don't see any ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException.

Below is log

2019-10-09 18:56:40,815 DEBUG (JungoThreadPool-1-198-T642) close() - active:
5. Called from java.lang.Throwable

But if i put back the old openejb-core-8.0.0-M3.jar. After few runs i see
ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException.

Please let me know your inputs.

thanks
Kalyan

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Can you give it a shot with the 8.0.0 (final) version?
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/tomee/openejb-core/8.0.0/openejb-core-8.0.0.jar
.

Also, try the patch, but with the debug logging for OpenEJB.resource.jdbc
off.

My change should only be introducing logging, so maybe there is something
else in the mix. It's good news that you can reproduce with a load test.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:11 PM Kalyan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Jon,
> I just put your code BasicManagedDataSource and tested with some load
> test.
> I don't see any ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException.
>

> Below is log
>
> 2019-10-09 18:56:40,815 DEBUG (JungoThreadPool-1-198-T642) close() -
> active:
> 5. Called from java.lang.Throwable
>

> But if i put back the old openejb-core-8.0.0-M3.jar. After few runs i see
> ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException.
>

> Please let me know your inputs.
>
> thanks
> Kalyan

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Kalyan
sure i will try.

Once more thing. Somehow i was not getting logs initially. But when i
changed like below.
It was started logging.

// private static final org.apache.openejb.util.Logger debugLogger =
org.apache.openejb.util.Logger.getInstance(LogCategory.OPENEJB_RESOURCE_JDBC,
BeanContext.class);

    private static final org.slf4j.Logger debugLogger =
LoggerFactory.getLogger("Transaction");

Logs

2019-10-09 21:01:30,450 DEBUG [Transaction] (JungoThreadPool-1-194-T784)
getConnection() - active: 23. Called from java.lang.Throwable

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Kalyan
Hi Jon,

With 8.0.0 version. I don't see any ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException
happening.
I ran tests for few mins and works fine.

One more question

I was just going through
 http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html

Do you think its require to set MaxIdle for the database connections ?
does it have to be same as MaxTotal ?

Please advice.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards
Kalyan

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

jgallimore
Setting MaxTotal, InitialSize, MinIdle, and MaxIdle enable you to control
whether and when the pool will grow or shrink -
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html.

I'd avoid the urge to change more parameters if you can as it adds more
variables. It looks like a code change between 8.0.0-M3 and 8.0.0 makes the
difference. I'd be interested to know what change impacts it. If you had
time to do a git bisect, that would be useful to close the loop.

Jon

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 11:56 PM Kalyan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> With 8.0.0 version. I don't see any ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException
> happening.
> I ran tests for few mins and works fine.
>
> One more question
>
> I was just going through
>  http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html
>
> Do you think its require to set MaxIdle for the database connections ?
> does it have to be same as MaxTotal ?
>
> Please advice.
>
> Thanks a lot for the help.
>
> Regards
> Kalyan

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Kalyan
Thanks a lot for the help Jon!

Regards
Kalyan

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Richard Monson-Haefel
Hi Kalyan,

Are you using the @Asnycrhous annotation?  If so, that's probably why you
are seeing messages for the AsynchronousPool.  I found this article which
helps explain asynchronous EJBs

https://www.tomitribe.com/blog/asynchronous-ejbs-on-tomee/

It mentions the max pool size is set, as a default of 5.  As does this
article:

https://tomee.apache.org/latest/docs/admin/configuration/application.html

Have you tried to set that max pool size property to a higher number?  If
you can determine from logs the average number of invocations per second at
peak periods you could use that as a guide for setting the async pool
size.  If that's not possible try a couple different max pool sizes (e.g.
20, 50, 100) and see if that helps. I don't think - although I'm not sure
about this - that setting the max pool size higher is going to effect
performance much but I'm not sure about that.

Richard

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 3:16 PM Kalyan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> org.apache.openejb.core.stateless.StatelessContainer.invoke(StatelessContainer.java:204)
>         at
>
> org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.EjbObjectProxyHandler.synchronizedBusinessMethod(EjbObjectProxyHandler.java:265)
>         at
>
> org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.EjbObjectProxyHandler.businessMethod(EjbObjectProxyHandler.java:260)
>         at
>
> org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.EjbObjectProxyHandler._invoke(EjbObjectProxyHandler.java:89)
>         at
>
> org.apache.openejb.core.ivm.BaseEjbProxyHandler.invoke(BaseEjbProxyHandler.java:349)
>

> My application is heavily used. Looks like not enough instances of beans.
>
> I saw this post to increase the pool size
>
> https://tomee.apache.org/admin/configuration/containers.html
>

> and changed my configuration as
>
> java.naming.factory.initial=org.apache.openejb.core.LocalInitialContextFactory
> openejb.deployments.classpath.ear=false
>
> myApp = new://Container?type=STATELESS
> myApp.AccessTimeout = 30 seconds
> *myApp.MaxSize = 40*
> myApp.MinSize = 0
> myApp.StrictPooling = true
> myApp.MaxAge = 0 hours
> myApp.ReplaceAged = true
> myApp.ReplaceFlushed = false
> myApp.MaxAgeOffset = -1
> myApp.IdleTimeout = 0 minutes
> myApp.GarbageCollection = false
> myApp.SweepInterval = 5 minutes
> myApp.CallbackThreads = 5
> myApp.CloseTimeout = 5 minutes
> myApp.UseOneSchedulerThreadByBean = false
> myApp.EvictionThreads = 1
>

> On the server start up I see
>
> INFO - Configuring Service(id=myApp, type=Container, provider-id=Default
> Stateless Container)
>
> DEBUG - Containers        : 1
> DEBUG - Type        Container ID
> DEBUG -    STATELESS   myApp
> DEBUG - Deployments       : 5
> DEBUG - Type        Deployment ID
>
> /Question i have is /
> How would i know if the bean size is increased ?  I don't see any log
> message for it.
>
> /Secondly I also see /
>
> DEBUG - Using default 'openejb.tempclassloader.skip=none'  Possible values
> are: none, annotations, enums, all or NONE or ALL
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.Size=5'
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.CorePoolSize=5'
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.MaximumPoolSize=5'
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.QueueSize=5'
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.KeepAliveTime=60 SECONDS'
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.AllowCoreThreadTimeOut=true'
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.QueueType=linked'.  Possible values
> are: array, linked, priority, synchronous
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.OfferTimeout=30 SECONDS'
> DEBUG - Using default 'AsynchronousPool.ShutdownWaitDuration=1 MINUTES'
>

> What's the AsynchronousPool ???
>

> Please help me to sort this issue?
> I'm running into this issues in production.

Richard Monson-Haefel
https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

Richard Monson-Haefel
Please ignore my previous email. I didn't see that Jon had already helped
with this. Good luck!

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: javax.ejb.ConcurrentAccessTimeoutException: No instances available in Stateless Session Bean pool. Waited 30 SECONDS

jgallimore
The follow up is appreciated - we hadn't touched upon any of the
asynchronous parts of Kalyan's questions, so any pointers you're able to
give are appreciated. The hanging threads appear to be fixed in 8.0.0.

Jon

12