heap dump bval

Matthew Broadhead-2
TomEE 7.0.5 plus

i had a recent memory leak which was stalling the server every couple of
days.  so i did a heap dump and solved that problem.

then i decided to do another heap dump because the server is running
pretty slowly.  each page is taking a few seconds to load on a 32GB
system.  (i did clear out work directory)

it turns out that more than half of the memory is consumed with
org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension.  is this fairly normal?  using
Eclipse Memory Analyser i have dug into shortest routes to GC root but i
don't find any of my objects listed there.  mostly BVal stuff.  are
there any tips for debugging heap dumps?

Re: heap dump bval

brunobat
Thant's interesting Matthew.

Usually I open those in jvisualvm. I go to classes and activate the
retained column.

That column will calculate the retained (effective) memory usage by class.

Usually it takes a while to calculate, that's why it's not on by default.

Cheers

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 26/12/18 09:28, Matthew Broadhead wrote:

> TomEE 7.0.5 plus
>
> i had a recent memory leak which was stalling the server every couple
> of days.  so i did a heap dump and solved that problem.
>
> then i decided to do another heap dump because the server is running
> pretty slowly.  each page is taking a few seconds to load on a 32GB
> system.  (i did clear out work directory)
>
> it turns out that more than half of the memory is consumed with
> org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension.  is this fairly normal?  using
> Eclipse Memory Analyser i have dug into shortest routes to GC root but
> i don't find any of my objects listed there.  mostly BVal stuff.  are
> there any tips for debugging heap dumps?

Re: heap dump bval

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
I'd say probably before going too deep, I would just use the verbose:gc
option piped into a log file so it can be further analyzed.

It should show a memory increase to confirm.
Also when it gets slow, probably a jstack could also help to see where the
threads are.

As for the head dump, I also use jvisualvm.
JMC is now available for free in OpenJDK (I believe) and might be helpful.

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:23 AM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thant's interesting Matthew.
>
> Usually I open those in jvisualvm. I go to classes and activate the
> retained column.
>
> That column will calculate the retained (effective) memory usage by class.
>
> Usually it takes a while to calculate, that's why it's not on by default.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>

> On 26/12/18 09:28, Matthew Broadhead wrote:
> > TomEE 7.0.5 plus
> >
> > i had a recent memory leak which was stalling the server every couple
> > of days.  so i did a heap dump and solved that problem.
> >
> > then i decided to do another heap dump because the server is running
> > pretty slowly.  each page is taking a few seconds to load on a 32GB
> > system.  (i did clear out work directory)
> >
> > it turns out that more than half of the memory is consumed with
> > org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension.  is this fairly normal?  using
> > Eclipse Memory Analyser i have dug into shortest routes to GC root but
> > i don't find any of my objects listed there.  mostly BVal stuff.  are
> > there any tips for debugging heap dumps?

Re: heap dump bval

Matthew Broadhead-2
hi Bruno,

i can't find visualvm in centos.  i had it in ubuntu but i don't know
which centos repo it is in.  i suppose i could download it directly...

eclipse memory analyser gives me a retained heap size of 785,781,368 for
org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension which is 50.38% of everything.

--
Mr MT Broadhead
Nigel Broadhead Mynard

32 Rainsford Road
Chelmsford Essex CM1 2QG
Tel: 01245 269909 Fax: 01245 261932
https://nbmlaw.co.uk

Partners: WJ Broadhead NP Eason SJ Lacey CR Broadhead D Seepaul T Carley

Nigel Broadhead Mynard Solicitors are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We are also bound by their code of conduct. Registered no. 00061052

Nigel Broadhead Mynard also provide a will writing service, see https://nbmlaw.co.uk/wills.htm for more information

Confidentiality: Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you receive the message in error, please notify the sender and immediately destroy all copies.

Security warning: Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise you that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us. This e-mail does not constitute a legally binding document. No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Nigel Broadhead Mynard Solicitors by e-mail communications.

Disclaimer: Please be aware of cyber crime. Nigel Broadhead Mynard will not take responsibility if you transfer money to a wrong bank account. Please speak to your Solicitor before transferring any money. If you receive an email from Nigel Broadhead Mynard requesting your bank details or telling you our bank details have changed, please contact your Solicitor immediately to clarify.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

Re: heap dump bval

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Can you provide us with the version? BVal I mean ...

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 12:10 PM Matthew Broadhead
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> not take responsibility if you transfer money to a wrong bank account.
> Please speak to your Solicitor before transferring any money. If you
> receive an email from Nigel Broadhead Mynard requesting your bank details
> or telling you our bank details have changed, please contact your Solicitor
> immediately to clarify.
>
> PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end
> with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address
> without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box
> when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM
> and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers
> published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.
>
> If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

thanks Jean-Louis.

i used gdb to get a jvm.core on the live system as it is much faster.
then i used jmap to convert it to a jvm.hprof.
(https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/so-you-want-your-jvms-heap)
then i used eclipse memory analyser to get the dominator table, and
paths to GC root (https://vimeo.com/21356498)

yes visualvm would be much better to show increase in memory consumption
after gc.  i did have jmx set up on the server and i could view over
ssh.  but like i say i am still struggling to find visualvm through yum

On 26/12/2018 12:06, Jean-Louis Monteiro wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

it is TomEE plus 7.0.5.  shows BVal 1.1.2 in my maven dependencies
i did wonder if  7.1.0 might have some improvements.

On 26/12/2018 12:14, Jean-Louis Monteiro wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

Hi Matthew

It comes with the JDK, just type:

$ jvisualvm

But that BValExtension usage is intriguing.

Can you please let us know the top 4 classes in the retained list?

This is on 7.0.5 plus with Oracle JDK 8?

Cheers

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 26/12/18 11:10, Matthew Broadhead wrote:

> hi Bruno,
>
> i can't find visualvm in centos.  i had it in ubuntu but i don't know
> which centos repo it is in.  i suppose i could download it directly...
>
> eclipse memory analyser gives me a retained heap size of 785,781,368
> for org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension which is 50.38% of everything.
>
> On 26/12/2018 11:23, Bruno Baptista wrote:
>> Thant's interesting Matthew.
>>
>> Usually I open those in jvisualvm. I go to classes and activate the
>> retained column.
>>
>> That column will calculate the retained (effective) memory usage by
>> class.
>>
>> Usually it takes a while to calculate, that's why it's not on by
>> default.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruno Baptista
>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>

>> On 26/12/18 09:28, Matthew Broadhead wrote:
>>> TomEE 7.0.5 plus
>>>
>>> i had a recent memory leak which was stalling the server every
>>> couple of days.  so i did a heap dump and solved that problem.
>>>
>>> then i decided to do another heap dump because the server is running
>>> pretty slowly.  each page is taking a few seconds to load on a 32GB
>>> system.  (i did clear out work directory)
>>>
>>> it turns out that more than half of the memory is consumed with
>>> org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension.  is this fairly normal? using
>>> Eclipse Memory Analyser i have dug into shortest routes to GC root
>>> but i don't find any of my objects listed there.  mostly BVal
>>> stuff.  are there any tips for debugging heap dumps?

Re: heap dump bval

Matthew Broadhead-2
the top 4 classes on the dominator table are
class - objects - retained heap - percentage
org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension - 27 - 785,781,368 - 50.38%
org.apache.webbeans.container.BeanManagerImpl - 27 - 262,583,784 - 16.84%
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.FinalizingBrokerImpl - 6,643 - 81,369,760 - 5.22%
java.lang.Class - 52,286 - 59,176,176 - 3.79%

i have been using OpenJDK forever
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.191.b12-1.el7_6.x86_64/jre/bin/java

i can make the jvm.hprof available by gogole drive or similar (at risk
of making myself look stupid for having a big memory leak!). it is 3.2GB

On 26/12/2018 12:19, Bruno Baptista wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

Hi Mathew,

Thanks.

Are you including some bval dependency in the code of your own app?

You can zip that file. It will get much smaller. If you could share it,
it would be nice indeed.

Cheers!

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 26/12/18 11:27, Matthew Broadhead wrote:

> the top 4 classes on the dominator table are
> class - objects - retained heap - percentage
> org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension - 27 - 785,781,368 - 50.38%
> org.apache.webbeans.container.BeanManagerImpl - 27 - 262,583,784 - 16.84%
> org.apache.openjpa.kernel.FinalizingBrokerImpl - 6,643 - 81,369,760 -
> 5.22%
> java.lang.Class - 52,286 - 59,176,176 - 3.79%
>
> i have been using OpenJDK forever
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.191.b12-1.el7_6.x86_64/jre/bin/java
>
> i can make the jvm.hprof available by gogole drive or similar (at risk
> of making myself look stupid for having a big memory leak!). it is 3.2GB
>
> On 26/12/2018 12:19, Bruno Baptista wrote:
>> Hi Matthew
>>
>> It comes with the JDK, just type:
>>
>> $ jvisualvm
>>
>> But that BValExtension usage is intriguing.
>>
>> Can you please let us know the top 4 classes in the retained list?
>>
>> This is on 7.0.5 plus with Oracle JDK 8?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruno Baptista
>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>

>> On 26/12/18 11:10, Matthew Broadhead wrote:
>>> hi Bruno,
>>>
>>> i can't find visualvm in centos.  i had it in ubuntu but i don't
>>> know which centos repo it is in.  i suppose i could download it
>>> directly...
>>>
>>> eclipse memory analyser gives me a retained heap size of 785,781,368
>>> for org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension which is 50.38% of everything.

Re: heap dump bval

Matthew Broadhead-2
hi Bruno,
no i am not directly using BVal as far as i am aware
i zipped it to under 600MB.  i shared you and Jean-Louis a link via
google drive.  let me know if there are any problems

On 26/12/2018 12:31, Bruno Baptista wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

Thanks Matthew!

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 26/12/18 12:01, Matthew Broadhead wrote:

> hi Bruno,
> no i am not directly using BVal as far as i am aware
> i zipped it to under 600MB.  i shared you and Jean-Louis a link via
> google drive.  let me know if there are any problems
>
> On 26/12/2018 12:31, Bruno Baptista wrote:
>> Hi Mathew,
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Are you including some bval dependency in the code of your own app?
>>
>> You can zip that file. It will get much smaller. If you could share
>> it, it would be nice indeed.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Bruno Baptista
>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>

>> On 26/12/18 11:27, Matthew Broadhead wrote:
>>> the top 4 classes on the dominator table are
>>> class - objects - retained heap - percentage
>>> org.apache.bval.cdi.BValExtension - 27 - 785,781,368 - 50.38%
>>> org.apache.webbeans.container.BeanManagerImpl - 27 - 262,583,784 -
>>> 16.84%
>>> org.apache.openjpa.kernel.FinalizingBrokerImpl - 6,643 - 81,369,760
>>> - 5.22%
>>> java.lang.Class - 52,286 - 59,176,176 - 3.79%
>>>
>>> i have been using OpenJDK forever
>>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.191.b12-1.el7_6.x86_64/jre/bin/java
>>>

>>> i can make the jvm.hprof available by gogole drive or similar (at
>>> risk of making myself look stupid for having a big memory leak!). it
>>> is 3.2GB

Re: heap dump bval

Matthew Broadhead-2
whoops...i sent my localhost version by mistake.  i am uploading the
production one now which zipped to 900MB

On 26/12/2018 13:01, Matthew Broadhead wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

German Gonzalez-Morris
It would be nice to take a look to that heap dump.

Regards,

German Gonzalez-Morris

----

``Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es realmente necesario''
``Before printing think about the Environment''

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 9:19 AM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Matthew!
>
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>

> On 26/12/18 12:01, Matthew Broadhead wrote:
> > hi Bruno,
> > no i am not directly using BVal as far as i am aware
> > i zipped it to under 600MB.  i shared you and Jean-Louis a link via
> > google drive.  let me know if there are any problems
> >
> > On 26/12/2018 12:31, Bruno Baptista wrote:
> >> Hi Mathew,
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Are you including some bval dependency in the code of your own app?
> >>
> >> You can zip that file. It will get much smaller. If you could share
> >> it, it would be nice indeed.
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> Bruno Baptista
> >> https://twitter.com/brunobat_

> /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.191.b12-1.el7_6.x86_64/jre/bin/java

Re: heap dump bval

Matthew Broadhead-2
thanks German.  i added you to the google drive share.
i have got visualvm working now and it seems i already have a lot of
memory leaks with using @ViewScoped MyFaces managed beans.
uk.me.kissy.database.entities.jpa.extras.Testimonial looks like the
worst offender

On 26/12/2018 13:35, German Gonzalez-Morris wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

jgallimore
It would be tomorrow before I can take a look, but feel free to add me to
that share and I'll take a look when  I can.

Jon

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018, 13:27 Matthew Broadhead
<[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> not take responsibility if you transfer money to a wrong bank account.
> Please speak to your Solicitor before transferring any money. If you
> receive an email from Nigel Broadhead Mynard requesting your bank details
> or telling you our bank details have changed, please contact your Solicitor
> immediately to clarify.
>
> PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end
> with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address
> without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box
> when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM
> and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers
> published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.
>
> If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

thanks Jon

On 26/12/2018 14:28, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

I've loaded the heap profile here but its taking hours to compute the
retained values. I'm tempted to cancel and try the Java 11 version to
see if it's faster...

Cheers

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 26/12/18 12:17, Matthew Broadhead wrote:

> whoops...i sent my localhost version by mistake.  i am uploading the
> production one now which zipped to 900MB
>
> On 26/12/2018 13:01, Matthew Broadhead wrote:
>> hi Bruno,
>> no i am not directly using BVal as far as i am aware
>> i zipped it to under 600MB.  i shared you and Jean-Louis a link via
>> google drive.  let me know if there are any problems
>>
>> On 26/12/2018 12:31, Bruno Baptista wrote:
>>> Hi Mathew,
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Are you including some bval dependency in the code of your own app?
>>>
>>> You can zip that file. It will get much smaller. If you could share
>>> it, it would be nice indeed.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Bruno Baptista
>>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_

Re: heap dump bval

Matthew Broadhead-2
thanks Bruno.  i have started doing it this end as well as i didn't
realise it was important to compute the retained values.  eclipse memory
analyser seems to have the retained values after loading but maybe
doesn't drill far enough in

On 27/12/2018 10:23, Bruno Baptista wrote:

> [...]

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that Nigel Broadhead Mynard only use emails which end with the suffix @nbmlaw.co.uk. If you receive any email from an address without that suffix or where that suffix does not appear in the address box when you click "Reply" then you should not rely on the email being from NBM and you should immediately contact us on the above number or any numbers published on our website to verify the source of the email is genuine.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

i wondered if it was actually doing anything because activity monitor
wasn't showing visualvm using the processor or memory.  so i checked the
log file and got this
WARNING [org.netbeans.modules.progress.spi.InternalHandle]: Cannot call
progress on a task that was never started at
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.HeapFragment$1.stateChanged(HeapFragment.java:72)
WARNING [null]: Last record repeated more than 10 times, further logs of
this record are ignored until the log record changes.
WARNING [null]: Last record repeated 372 times in total.
SEVERE [org.openide.util.RequestProcessor]: Error in RequestProcessor
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.model.DataType$RetainedSize$1
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.HprofHeap.computeReferences(HprofHeap.java:639)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.NearestGCRoot.computeGCRoots(NearestGCRoot.java:124)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.NearestGCRoot.getLeaves(NearestGCRoot.java:401)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.HprofHeap.computeRetainedSize(HprofHeap.java:713)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.HprofHeap.computeRetainedSizeByClass(HprofHeap.java:776)
     at
org.netbeans.lib.profiler.heap.ClassDump.getRetainedSizeByClass(ClassDump.java:147)
     at
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.model.DataType$RetainedSize.computeValuesImmediately(DataType.java:214)
     at
com.sun.tools.visualvm.heapviewer.model.DataType$RetainedSize$1.run(DataType.java:197)
     at
org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
     at
org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
     at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)
[catch] at
org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2058)

--
[...]

12