freezing on CentOS 7

chongma
i am currently stuck on Java release
java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.131-11.b12.el7.x86_64
on CentOS 7 with TomEE 7.0.3

updating CentOS to
Version     : 1.8.0.144
Release     : 0.b01.el7_4
results in random freezes with no error in catalina.out

back story: the system automatically updated to 1.8.0.144.  TomEE
started crashing.  looked like it was still running.  no output in
catalina.out.  kept restarting and it would run for a while but same
result.  rebooted whole server.  no change.  rolled back to 1.8.0.131
and blocked yum from updating.  everything works ok now.

Re: freezing on CentOS 7

jgallimore
Do you have a test system you can run it on, and grab the output from
jstack and jmap when it happens? How long do the freezes last - does the
system ever recover? Do you see increases in active threads or CPU?

Many thanks

Jon

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Matthew Broadhead <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> i am currently stuck on Java release
> java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.131-11.b12.el7.x86_64
> on CentOS 7 with TomEE 7.0.3
>
> updating CentOS to
> Version     : 1.8.0.144
> Release     : 0.b01.el7_4
> results in random freezes with no error in catalina.out
>
> back story: the system automatically updated to 1.8.0.144.  TomEE started
> crashing.  looked like it was still running.  no output in catalina.out.
> kept restarting and it would run for a while but same result.  rebooted
> whole server.  no change.  rolled back to 1.8.0.131 and blocked yum from
> updating.  everything works ok now.

Re: freezing on CentOS 7

chongma
I am not sure if it recovers because in production I was forced to
restart the system.
I can set it up on my local virtual box but without much load it might
be hard to get it to crash.  I will try it and let you know

On 10/10/2017 11:02, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:

> Do you have a test system you can run it on, and grab the output from
> jstack and jmap when it happens? How long do the freezes last - does the
> system ever recover? Do you see increases in active threads or CPU?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Jon
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Matthew Broadhead <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i am currently stuck on Java release
>> java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.131-11.b12.el7.x86_64
>> on CentOS 7 with TomEE 7.0.3
>>
>> updating CentOS to
>> Version     : 1.8.0.144
>> Release     : 0.b01.el7_4
>> results in random freezes with no error in catalina.out
>>
>> back story: the system automatically updated to 1.8.0.144.  TomEE started
>> crashing.  looked like it was still running.  no output in catalina.out.
>> kept restarting and it would run for a while but same result.  rebooted
>> whole server.  no change.  rolled back to 1.8.0.131 and blocked yum from
>> updating.  everything works ok now.

Re: freezing on CentOS 7

jgallimore
Thanks Matthew - if we're able to reproduce in a safe environment, that
will be a big help to solve your problem. One other question - is this
specific to the JDK version or were there any other changes? I note you
posted on the 7.0.4 vote on dev@ - does this only happen on 7.0.4 or are
you seeing it with 7.0.3 as well?

Cheers

Jon

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Matthew Broadhead <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not sure if it recovers because in production I was forced to restart
> the system.
> I can set it up on my local virtual box but without much load it might be
> hard to get it to crash.  I will try it and let you know
>

> On 10/10/2017 11:02, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:
>
>> Do you have a test system you can run it on, and grab the output from
>> jstack and jmap when it happens? How long do the freezes last - does the
>> system ever recover? Do you see increases in active threads or CPU?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Matthew Broadhead <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> i am currently stuck on Java release
>>> java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.131-11.b12.el7.x86_64
>>> on CentOS 7 with TomEE 7.0.3
>>>
>>> updating CentOS to
>>> Version     : 1.8.0.144
>>> Release     : 0.b01.el7_4
>>> results in random freezes with no error in catalina.out
>>>
>>> back story: the system automatically updated to 1.8.0.144.  TomEE started
>>> crashing.  looked like it was still running.  no output in catalina.out.
>>> kept restarting and it would run for a while but same result.  rebooted
>>> whole server.  no change.  rolled back to 1.8.0.131 and blocked yum from
>>> updating.  everything works ok now.

Re: freezing on CentOS 7

chongma
this was only on 7.0.3 in production.  only happens if i upgrade from
131 to 144