Work assignment protocol?

jgallimore
Just a quick one - should we have some sort of work assignment protocol?
For example, I saw a JIRA ticket come in, I assigned it to myself, asked
for a bit more information. Whilst then reviewing something else, I then
see that ticket is resolved, fixed etc.

Whilst I'm not ungrateful for the fix, given that I had less than 40
minutes to look at the ticket and test a fix, I do feel a little robbed of
the opportunity to look at it myself.

If I had assigned to myself and done nothing for 2 days, this doesn't seem
unreasonable. Alternatively, a "Hey Jon, I know the answer to this off the
top of my head, I'll take it" also doesn't seem unreasonable either.

In order to build our skills and all grow, we all need a fair shot at
fixing things - I appreciate that might feel like things go more slowly as
we are at different levels, and some of us are not as fast as others. But
its hard to boost your skills if you don't get to work on the bugs when
they come in.

I'd like to proposed that if a JIRA is assigned, and "Work Started", then
its owned by whoever its assigned to. If there's then no activity for a
couple of days then sending a note saying "Are you stuck?" / "Can I help?"
/ "Can I take this ticket?" is fair game.

Thoughts?

Re: Work assignment protocol?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Jon,

was writing the same kind of thing - for the same reason pby. Saw you were
assigned only in the "fixed" popup :s.

Since list is first for now (vs jira), what about fwding the jira saying
"i'm on it"?

:

> Just a quick one - should we have some sort of work assignment protocol?
> For example, I saw a JIRA ticket come in, I assigned it to myself, asked
> for a bit more information. Whilst then reviewing something else, I then
> see that ticket is resolved, fixed etc.
>
> Whilst I'm not ungrateful for the fix, given that I had less than 40
> minutes to look at the ticket and test a fix, I do feel a little robbed of
> the opportunity to look at it myself.
>
> If I had assigned to myself and done nothing for 2 days, this doesn't seem
> unreasonable. Alternatively, a "Hey Jon, I know the answer to this off the
> top of my head, I'll take it" also doesn't seem unreasonable either.
>
> In order to build our skills and all grow, we all need a fair shot at
> fixing things - I appreciate that might feel like things go more slowly as
> we are at different levels, and some of us are not as fast as others. But
> its hard to boost your skills if you don't get to work on the bugs when
> they come in.
>
> I'd like to proposed that if a JIRA is assigned, and "Work Started", then
> its owned by whoever its assigned to. If there's then no activity for a
> couple of days then sending a note saying "Are you stuck?" / "Can I help?"
> / "Can I take this ticket?" is fair game.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: Work assignment protocol?

jgallimore
+1, works for me.