[VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

[VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

David Blevins-2
Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.

 - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123

There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.

There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best ability.

Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?

 +1  Yes, let's do it
 +-0 Abstain
 -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE

Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a future PR if the code does eventually move.

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Romain Manni-Bucau
-1 - even against this vote to be honest, you started 2 votes to decide
what we do about that code, we discussed it and stated it was an awesome
start but needing cleanup to be integrable and releasable,  so why another
3rd vote to urge things and get code preventing a release merged?

Le 19 mars 2018 01:02, "David Blevins" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

agumbrecht
+1 Andy.

On 19/03/18 01:02, David Blevins wrote:

> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
>   - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
>   +1  Yes, let's do it
>   +-0 Abstain
>   -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a future PR if the code does eventually move.

Andy Gumbrecht
https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe
http://www.tomitribe.com
https://www.tomitribe.io

Ubique

    --
    Andy Gumbrecht

    http://www.tomitribe.com
    agumbrecht@tomitribe.com
    https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

    TomEE treibt Tomitribe ! | http://tomee.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

chongma
0 - i don't really know enough about it

On 19/03/2018 01:02, David Blevins wrote:

> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
>   - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
>   +1  Yes, let's do it
>   +-0 Abstain
>   -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a future PR if the code does eventually move.

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

I'm +1 to merge this, and allow the discussion about its ultimate home to
continue.

Jon

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
>  - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy
> and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final
> state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after
> 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so
> there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best
> ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
>  +1  Yes, let's do it
>  +-0 Abstain
>  -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code
> will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It
> would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a
> future PR if the code does eventually move.

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Thiago Veronezi
+1 to merge it here.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 6:38 AM, Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm +1 to merge this, and allow the discussion about its ultimate home to
> continue.
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
> >
> >  - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
> >
> > There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by
> Andy
> > and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
> >
> > There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final
> > state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive
> after
> > 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so
> > there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best
> > ability.
> >
> > Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
> >
> >  +1  Yes, let's do it
> >  +-0 Abstain
> >  -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
> >

> > Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code
> > will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.
> It
> > would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a
> > future PR if the code does eventually move.
> >

> > -David

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
There is a VOTE so I believe we need to close it or move it forward.

The PR is mine and therefor it's time for me to vote and speak.
As I put some efforts to create this PR and make all the TCK tests to pass,
I'm in favor of merging obviously.

I have submitted to a conference and I'll be speaking about TomEE and JWT
in a month.
That would be a good way to challenge our integration and consider the
"where the code should go after" later.
MP-JWT discussions started again, and some of the work will probably have
to go away because it will be invalid.

In this PR, there is also a fix for the Security context propagation that
whatever we do with the JWT code, we'll need to get this fixed.

When I joined Apache, I started in TomEE and there was some motivation,
help, smile and it got us here.
We did mistakes, merged bad code, good code, but overall, the result is
positive in my opinion.

So maybe the code is not perfect, maybe we'll want to extract it into
another library, but for now it works.

So here is my +1

Now, there is a stop sign here that we need to resolve if we want this to
be merged unless I'm mistaken.
What can I do to resolve the problems so the -1 can turn into a +1?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:17 PM, Gurkan Erdogdu <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi David+1 to merge in TomEE. Regards.Gurkan
>    On Monday, March 19, 2018, 3:02:20 AM GMT+3, David Blevins <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
>  - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy
> and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final
> state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after
> 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so
> there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best
> ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
>  +1  Yes, let's do it
>  +-0 Abstain
>  -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code
> will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It
> would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a
> future PR if the code does eventually move.

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

I'd like to wrap this up so if you have other questions or would like to vote, now is the time.  Reminder, you do not need to be a committer to vote.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

> On Mar 18, 2018, at 5:02 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
> - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
> +1  Yes, let's do it
> +-0 Abstain
> -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a future PR if the code does eventually move.

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

brunobat
+ 1, Let's merge.

If later someone wants to move it elsewhere in the future, that's fine.

While people figure out how to do that, at least we will have something
working for the users.

Cheers

Bruno Baptista
http://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 19-03-2018 00:02, David Blevins wrote:

> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
>   - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
>   +1  Yes, let's do it
>   +-0 Abstain
>   -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a future PR if the code does eventually move.

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Otávio Gonçalves de Santana
+ 1, Let's merge and move it forward.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:

> + 1, Let's merge.
>
> If later someone wants to move it elsewhere in the future, that's fine.
>
> While people figure out how to do that, at least we will have something
> working for the users.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruno Baptista
> http://twitter.com/brunobat_
>

> On 19-03-2018 00:02, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>>
>>   - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>>
>> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by
>> Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for
>> us.
>>
>> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final
>> state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after
>> 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so
>> there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best
>> ability.
>>
>> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>>
>>   +1  Yes, let's do it
>>   +-0 Abstain
>>   -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>>

>> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code
>> will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It
>> would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a
>> future PR if the code does eventually move.
>>

>> -David

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

brunobat
+1 on merge

Bruno Baptista
http://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 29-03-2018 19:13, Otávio Gonçalves de Santana wrote:

> + 1, Let's merge and move it forward.
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> + 1, Let's merge.
>>
>> If later someone wants to move it elsewhere in the future, that's fine.
>>
>> While people figure out how to do that, at least we will have something
>> working for the users.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruno Baptista
>> http://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>

>> On 19-03-2018 00:02, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>>>
>>>    - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>>>
>>> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by
>>> Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for
>>> us.
>>>
>>> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final
>>> state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after
>>> 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so
>>> there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best
>>> ability.
>>>
>>> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>>>
>>>    +1  Yes, let's do it
>>>    +-0 Abstain
>>>    -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>>>

>>> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code
>>> will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It
>>> would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a
>>> future PR if the code does eventually move.
>>>

>>> -David

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

ivanjunckes
Cool, I didn't know I could vote as a contributor.

I am +1 on this PR to be merged on TomEE.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 on merge
>
> Bruno Baptista
> http://twitter.com/brunobat_
>

> On 29-03-2018 19:13, Otávio Gonçalves de Santana wrote:
>
>> + 1, Let's merge and move it forward.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> + 1, Let's merge.
>>>
>>> If later someone wants to move it elsewhere in the future, that's fine.
>>>
>>> While people figure out how to do that, at least we will have something
>>> working for the users.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Bruno Baptista
>>> http://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>>

>>> On 19-03-2018 00:02, David Blevins wrote:
>>>
>>> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Rudy De Busscher
+1 To merge into TomEE

Rudy

On 29 March 2018 at 20:19, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool, I didn't know I could vote as a contributor.
>
> I am +1 on this PR to be merged on TomEE.
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 on merge
> >
> > Bruno Baptista
> > http://twitter.com/brunobat_
> >

> > On 29-03-2018 19:13, Otávio Gonçalves de Santana wrote:
> >
> >> + 1, Let's merge and move it forward.
> >>
> >> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> + 1, Let's merge.

> so

Re: [VOTE] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Richard Monson-Haefel
+1 To merge on TomEE

As I haven't voted, here's my +1.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins
http://www.tomitribe.com

> On Mar 18, 2018, at 5:02 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
> - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
> +1  Yes, let's do it
> +-0 Abstain
> -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a future PR if the code does eventually move.

[RESULTS] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Officially closing the vote.  Thanks for the patience everyone.  This one needed some good discussion and a bit of extra time.

+1s
Andy Gumbrecht
Bruno Baptista
David Blevins
Gurkan Erdogdu
Ivan Junckes Filho
Jean-Louis Monteiro
Jonathan Gallimore
Otávio Gonçalves de Santana
Richard Monson-Haefel
Rudy De Busscher
Thiago Veronezi

0s
Matthew Broadhead

-1s
Romain Manni-Bucau

Vote passes with eleven +1s, one 0, and one -1.  Though this is a technical vote and a -1 would normally veto, after long discussion here and a short follow up with the board, all involved agree the -1 is not a true technical veto and not binding.  Guidance from the board was to use a -0 on technical votes if the intent is not to veto.  I think it would be good for us to be extra clear if a vote is a technical vote vs consensus.

Though it took a while to talk this one out and the vote is not unanimous, it is good to see the discussion and high turnout.  I think this reflects us using muscles we haven't used in a while and is an overall incredibly positive thing.

Thanks to everyone who voted and participated in the community discussion!

-David

> On Mar 18, 2018, at 5:02 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
>
> - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
>
> There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for us.
>
> There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best ability.
>
> Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
>
> +1  Yes, let's do it
> +-0 Abstain
> -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
>

> Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated by a future PR if the code does eventually move.

Re: [RESULTS] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Richard Monson-Haefel
Good to see the process work!

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM David Blevins <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Officially closing the vote.  Thanks for the patience everyone.  This one
> needed some good discussion and a bit of extra time.
>
> +1s
> Andy Gumbrecht
> Bruno Baptista
> David Blevins
> Gurkan Erdogdu
> Ivan Junckes Filho
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> Jonathan Gallimore
> Otávio Gonçalves de Santana
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> Rudy De Busscher
> Thiago Veronezi
>
> 0s
> Matthew Broadhead
>
> -1s
> Romain Manni-Bucau
>
> Vote passes with eleven +1s, one 0, and one -1.  Though this is a
> technical vote and a -1 would normally veto, after long discussion here and
> a short follow up with the board, all involved agree the -1 is not a true
> technical veto and not binding.  Guidance from the board was to use a -0 on
> technical votes if the intent is not to veto.  I think it would be good for
> us to be extra clear if a vote is a technical vote vs consensus.
>
> Though it took a while to talk this one out and the vote is not unanimous,
> it is good to see the discussion and high turnout.  I think this reflects
> us using muscles we haven't used in a while and is an overall incredibly
> positive thing.
>
> Thanks to everyone who voted and participated in the community discussion!
>

> -David
>
> > On Mar 18, 2018, at 5:02 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Jean-Louis has put a PR up for discussion for JWT Support in TomEE.
> >
> > - https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/123
> >
> > There are 35 commits spanning 27 days of work.  It's been reviewed by
> Andy and Rudy.  One a committer and one a contributor, which is great for
> us.
> >
> > There's an open question as to where the code should live in its final
> state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive after
> 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so
> there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best
> ability.
> >
> > Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
> >
> > +1  Yes, let's do it
> > +-0 Abstain
> > -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
> >

> > Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the
> code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or
> not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be updated
> by a future PR if the code does eventually move.
> >

> > -David

Re: [RESULTS] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi guys,

We didn't discuss much the PR technically because there were more important
topic to discuss and we therefore never hit the technical point but
since it has been merged 7 days ago there is no activity at all on that
code and it has a few blockers/downsides:

1. we don't build anymore because code uses java 8 and master (coming
7.0.5) must still be java 7 from what we discussed - so we don't have
snapshots anymore
2. we don't build anymore because the merged PR is wrongly setup (copy
paste from bval tck module for the suite which leads to a failing surefire
launching)
3. the mp-jwt module is not setup to be tested (linked to 2) so we actually
don't have any coverage for that which doesn't enable us to release it yet
4. (this one is not blocking) the code is not fully ready to be released
(the config is hardcoded in
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/mp-jwt/src/main/java/org/apache/tomee/microprofile/jwt/config/JWTAuthContextInfoProvider.java#L33),
some @WebFilter should be removed to avoid to have twice the same filter
etc...

Personally I'm quite keen to drop it from master and keep the work on
fb_tomee8 to be able to release a 8.0.0 ASAP. It drops the java 8 issue and
the maven toolchain setup requirement.
Then we have two options:

A. drop that code and use geronimo-jwt-auth-impl
B. make this code release ready (integrated to tomee config probably +
cleaned up)

I indeed prefer A for consistency but you can go B if you want, most
important is to fix 1.

> [...]
> > state: TomEE or Geronimo.  This conversation doesn't seem conclusive
> after
> > 12 days.  It's ok for us not to agree, but we should have more votes so
> > there is a clear outcome and we are acting as a community to our best
> > ability.
> > >
> > > Vote: Merge Pull Request 123?
> > >
> > > +1  Yes, let's do it
> > > +-0 Abstain
> > > -1  No, don't put this code in TomEE
> > >

> > > Out of respect for the conversation, this is not a vote of where the
> > code will live in its final state.  This is just a decision to merge or
> > not.  It would give the users something they can try, which can be
> updated
> > by a future PR if the code does eventually move.
> > >

> > > -David

Re: [RESULTS] Merge Pull Request 123 - MicroProfile JWT support

sorry for the newb question but are there instructions on how to build
7.0.5? (mainly repo root location).  there is this
http://tomee.apache.org/dev/building-from-source.html but we are using
github now?

12