Transaction with RemoteEJB

justogaiht
Hi, I am testing remote server Transaction Context Propagation.

My application is like that and Tomee server version is 1.7.1

                               call
Server A (EJB 1) ========> Server B (EJB 2)
           |                      |
           |                      |
           |                      |
          DB 1                   DB 2

EJB 1 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType
.REQUIRES_NEW)
EJB 2 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.MANDATORY)

I want to execute EJB 1 which works with DB1, then calls EJB 2 which works
with DB2
in a single global transaction.

when EJB 1 calls EJB 2 in  remote server, It throws
TransactionRequiredLocalException Exception.
How to propagate transaction context to the remote server?

Re: Transaction with RemoteEJB

Transactions are local until you use a XA system. EJB doesnt handle that in
tomee bit if the ejb2 call throws an exception and propagates it in ejb1
then a rollback will be done in both systems.

Le 19 nov. 2017 13:25, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Thans for the quick response!

If i remove the MANDATORY from EJB2 everything works fine, but EJB2 perform
inserts (with XA Oracle Datasource), but if an exception are thrown in
EJB1(after the EJB2 response) all the operations made in ejb1 are
rolledback but the data inserted by ejb2 are commited (probably because
there is no transaction propagation from ejb1 to ejb2 and a new transaction
are created). I made this work in other AS such wildlfy and wl... but i
would really like to made this work in tomee.

--
Atenciosamente,
Thiago Rodrigues

Re: Transaction with RemoteEJB

yann.blazart@bycode.fr
Wait Romain.

You mean remote ejb TX do not work with tomee ???

That is a big problem

Le 19 nov. 2017 1:53 PM, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi
> Thans for the quick response!
>
> If i remove the MANDATORY from EJB2 everything works fine, but EJB2 perform
> inserts (with XA Oracle Datasource), but if an exception are thrown in
> EJB1(after the EJB2 response) all the operations made in ejb1 are
> rolledback but the data inserted by ejb2 are commited (probably because
> there is no transaction propagation from ejb1 to ejb2 and a new transaction
> are created). I made this work in other AS such wildlfy and wl... but i
> would really like to made this work in tomee.
>
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Transactions are local until you use a XA system. EJB doesnt handle that
> in
> > tomee bit if the ejb2 call throws an exception and propagates it in ejb1
> > then a rollback will be done in both systems.
> >

> > Le 19 nov. 2017 13:25, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hi, I am testing remote server Transaction Context Propagation.
> >
> > My application is like that and Tomee server version is 1.7.1
> >
> >                                call
> > Server A (EJB 1) ========> Server B (EJB 2)
> >            |                      |
> >            |                      |
> >            |                      |
> >           DB 1                   DB 2
> >
> > EJB 1 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType
> > .REQUIRES_NEW)
> > EJB 2 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.
> MANDATORY)
> >
> > I want to execute EJB 1 which works with DB1, then calls EJB 2 which
> works
> > with DB2
> > in a single global transaction.
> >
> > when EJB 1 calls EJB 2 in  remote server, It throws
> > TransactionRequiredLocalException Exception.
> > How to propagate transaction context to the remote server?
> >

> --
> Atenciosamente,
> Thiago Rodrigues

Re: Transaction with RemoteEJB

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le 19 nov. 2017 13:58, "Yann Blazart" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Wait Romain.

You mean remote ejb TX do not work with tomee ???

Not really, i meant with most servers "by design". Propagation is not
supposed to be done through remote calls.

That is a big problem

Le 19 nov. 2017 1:53 PM, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi
> Thans for the quick response!
>
> If i remove the MANDATORY from EJB2 everything works fine, but EJB2
perform
> inserts (with XA Oracle Datasource), but if an exception are thrown in
> EJB1(after the EJB2 response) all the operations made in ejb1 are
> rolledback but the data inserted by ejb2 are commited (probably because
> there is no transaction propagation from ejb1 to ejb2 and a new
transaction

> are created). I made this work in other AS such wildlfy and wl... but i
> would really like to made this work in tomee.
>
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Transactions are local until you use a XA system. EJB doesnt handle that
> in
> > tomee bit if the ejb2 call throws an exception and propagates it in ejb1
> > then a rollback will be done in both systems.
> >

> > Le 19 nov. 2017 13:25, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hi, I am testing remote server Transaction Context Propagation.
> >
> > My application is like that and Tomee server version is 1.7.1
> >
> >                                call
> > Server A (EJB 1) ========> Server B (EJB 2)
> >            |                      |
> >            |                      |
> >            |                      |
> >           DB 1                   DB 2
> >
> > EJB 1 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType
> > .REQUIRES_NEW)
> > EJB 2 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.
> MANDATORY)
> >
> > I want to execute EJB 1 which works with DB1, then calls EJB 2 which
> works
> > with DB2
> > in a single global transaction.
> >
> > when EJB 1 calls EJB 2 in  remote server, It throws
> > TransactionRequiredLocalException Exception.
> > How to propagate transaction context to the remote server?
> >

> --
> Atenciosamente,
> Thiago Rodrigues

Re: Transaction with RemoteEJB

David Jencks-3
I’m not sure I understand what Romain is saying so I will try to explain in my own words.

There are 2 things people generally mean when they talk about XA or two-phase transaction support.

1. One server with more than one transactional resource, typically databases and messaging.  A transaction is started on this one server, “inside” the transaction various DBs and messaging are accessed, and the transaction is ended.  The server “propagates” the transaction to the DBs etc and uses 2-phase commit to ensure consistent results across resources.  EJB servers have to support this (although they are not required to support automatic recovery from failure) and Tomee supports this.

2. More than one server, where a transaction is started on one server and a remote ejb call to another server requires propagating the transaction to that second server. Supporting this is optional, for good reason.  I have never encountered a situation with non-fossilized code where this is a remotely plausible architectural choice.  Put all the ejbs on the same server and run multiple copies of the same server.  Tomee does not support this.

Hope this reduces rather than adds to confusion :-)

David Jencks

> On Nov 19, 2017, at 6:13 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 19 nov. 2017 13:58, "Yann Blazart" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Wait Romain.
>
> You mean remote ejb TX do not work with tomee ???
>

> Not really, i meant with most servers "by design". Propagation is not
> supposed to be done through remote calls.
>

> That is a big problem
>
> Le 19 nov. 2017 1:53 PM, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi
>> Thans for the quick response!
>>
>> If i remove the MANDATORY from EJB2 everything works fine, but EJB2
> perform
>> inserts (with XA Oracle Datasource), but if an exception are thrown in
>> EJB1(after the EJB2 response) all the operations made in ejb1 are
>> rolledback but the data inserted by ejb2 are commited (probably because
>> there is no transaction propagation from ejb1 to ejb2 and a new
> transaction
>> are created). I made this work in other AS such wildlfy and wl... but i
>> would really like to made this work in tomee.
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Transactions are local until you use a XA system. EJB doesnt handle that
>> in
>>> tomee bit if the ejb2 call throws an exception and propagates it in ejb1
>>> then a rollback will be done in both systems.
>>>

>>> Le 19 nov. 2017 13:25, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a
>> écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi, I am testing remote server Transaction Context Propagation.
>>>
>>> My application is like that and Tomee server version is 1.7.1
>>>
>>>                               call
>>> Server A (EJB 1) ========> Server B (EJB 2)
>>>           |                      |
>>>           |                      |
>>>           |                      |
>>>          DB 1                   DB 2
>>>
>>> EJB 1 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType
>>> .REQUIRES_NEW)
>>> EJB 2 is CMT and @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.
>> MANDATORY)
>>>
>>> I want to execute EJB 1 which works with DB1, then calls EJB 2 which
>> works
>>> with DB2
>>> in a single global transaction.
>>>
>>> when EJB 1 calls EJB 2 in  remote server, It throws
>>> TransactionRequiredLocalException Exception.
>>> How to propagate transaction context to the remote server?
>>>

>> --
>> Atenciosamente,
>> Thiago Rodrigues
>> [hidden email]

Re: Transaction with RemoteEJB

yann.blazart@bycode.fr
Well, I just read again ejb 3.2 spec,

At 10.6.1.1, of what I understand, context propagation must be.

???

Le 19 nov. 2017 9:00 PM, "David Jencks" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I’m not sure I understand what Romain is saying so I will try to explain
> in my own words.
>
> There are 2 things people generally mean when they talk about XA or
> two-phase transaction support.
>
> 1. One server with more than one transactional resource, typically
> databases and messaging.  A transaction is started on this one server,
> “inside” the transaction various DBs and messaging are accessed, and the
> transaction is ended.  The server “propagates” the transaction to the DBs
> etc and uses 2-phase commit to ensure consistent results across resources.
> EJB servers have to support this (although they are not required to support
> automatic recovery from failure) and Tomee supports this.
>
> 2. More than one server, where a transaction is started on one server and
> a remote ejb call to another server requires propagating the transaction to
> that second server. Supporting this is optional, for good reason.  I have
> never encountered a situation with non-fossilized code where this is a
> remotely plausible architectural choice.  Put all the ejbs on the same
> server and run multiple copies of the same server.  Tomee does not support
> this.
>
> Hope this reduces rather than adds to confusion :-)
>
> David Jencks
>

> > On Nov 19, 2017, at 6:13 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Le 19 nov. 2017 13:58, "Yann Blazart" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Wait Romain.
> >
> > You mean remote ejb TX do not work with tomee ???
> >

> > Not really, i meant with most servers "by design". Propagation is not
> > supposed to be done through remote calls.
> >

> > That is a big problem
> >
> > Le 19 nov. 2017 1:53 PM, "Thiago Rodrigues" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Thans for the quick response!
> >>
> >> If i remove the MANDATORY from EJB2 everything works fine, but EJB2
> > perform
> >> inserts (with XA Oracle Datasource), but if an exception are thrown in
> >> EJB1(after the EJB2 response) all the operations made in ejb1 are
> >> rolledback but the data inserted by ejb2 are commited (probably because
> >> there is no transaction propagation from ejb1 to ejb2 and a new
> > transaction
> >> are created). I made this work in other AS such wildlfy and wl... but i
> >> would really like to made this work in tomee.
> >>
> >> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> >> [hidden email]>

> that
> >> in
> ejb1

> >> MANDATORY)

> >> works

> >> --
> >> Atenciosamente,
> >> Thiago Rodrigues
> >> [hidden email]

Re: Transaction with RemoteEJB

Romain Manni-Bucau
Yep, this is not a spec feature (10.6, this is optional and
unspecified in term of protocol).

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

> Well, I just read again ejb 3.2 spec,
>
> At 10.6.1.1, of what I understand, context propagation must be.
>
> ???
>
> Le 19 nov. 2017 9:00 PM, "David Jencks" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> I’m not sure I understand what Romain is saying so I will try to explain
>> in my own words.
>>
>> There are 2 things people generally mean when they talk about XA or
>> two-phase transaction support.
>>
>> 1. One server with more than one transactional resource, typically
>> databases and messaging.  A transaction is started on this one server,
>> “inside” the transaction various DBs and messaging are accessed, and the
>> transaction is ended.  The server “propagates” the transaction to the DBs
>> etc and uses 2-phase commit to ensure consistent results across resources.
>> EJB servers have to support this (although they are not required to support
>> automatic recovery from failure) and Tomee supports this.
>>
>> 2. More than one server, where a transaction is started on one server and
>> a remote ejb call to another server requires propagating the transaction to
>> that second server. Supporting this is optional, for good reason.  I have
>> never encountered a situation with non-fossilized code where this is a
>> remotely plausible architectural choice.  Put all the ejbs on the same
>> server and run multiple copies of the same server.  Tomee does not support
>> this.
>>
>> Hope this reduces rather than adds to confusion :-)
>>
>> David Jencks
>>

>> > On Nov 19, 2017, at 6:13 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Le 19 nov. 2017 13:58, "Yann Blazart" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> >
>> > Wait Romain.
>> >
>> > You mean remote ejb TX do not work with tomee ???
>> >

>> > Not really, i meant with most servers "by design". Propagation is not
>> > supposed to be done through remote calls.
>> >

>> > That is a big problem

>> > perform
>> > transaction

>> that
>> ejb1

Re: Transaction with RemoteEJB

yann.blazart@bycode.fr
Hoooo damned sorry. I missed this point.

Very bad news, this was a major advantage....

I m sad that TomEE is not able to do that.

Sometimes it could be usefull