TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Thomas Andraschko
Hi,

found a bug, which is related to a slow startup as discussed in the other
thread.

See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2258
the lookup: loader.loadClass("org.apache.openejb.bval.BValCdiFilter")
fails with a ClassNotFound

could someone check this?
We could easily change it to Class.forName - but not sure what is the
correct classloader.

We should definitily fix such bugs as the startup with TomEE8, compared to
TomEE7, is double as slow.

Best regards,
Thomas

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 11:10, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> found a bug, which is related to a slow startup as discussed in the other
> thread.
>
> See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2258
> the lookup: loader.loadClass("org.apache.openejb.bval.BValCdiFilter")
> fails with a ClassNotFound
>
> could someone check this?
> We could easily change it to Class.forName - but not sure what is the
> correct classloader.

Openejb core one so should be good. I guess it is a transitive issue or a
breaking change in bval we can fix

> We should definitily fix such bugs as the startup with TomEE8, compared to
> TomEE7, is double as slow.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Thomas Andraschko
I dont think thats related to bval, class.forName works fine

Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018,
12:20:

> Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 11:10, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]
> >
> a écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > found a bug, which is related to a slow startup as discussed in the other
> > thread.
> >
> > See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2258
> > the lookup: loader.loadClass("org.apache.openejb.bval.BValCdiFilter")
> > fails with a ClassNotFound
> >
> > could someone check this?
> > We could easily change it to Class.forName - but not sure what is the
> > correct classloader.
> >

> Openejb core one so should be good. I guess it is a transitive issue or a
> breaking change in bval we can fix
>

> > We should definitily fix such bugs as the startup with TomEE8, compared
> > TomEE7, is double as slow.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Thomas

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Romain Manni-Bucau
hmm the loader is the parent loader (container one) and it must work, are
you in a plain tomee or another flavor like tomee-embedded or other?
Class.forName uses the caller classloader which should be the same here in
the best case

Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 12:38, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> I dont think thats related to bval, class.forName works fine
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018,
> 12:20:
>
> > Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 11:10, Thomas Andraschko <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > a écrit :
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > found a bug, which is related to a slow startup as discussed in the
> other
> > > thread.
> > >
> > > See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2258
> > > the lookup: loader.loadClass("org.apache.openejb.bval.BValCdiFilter")
> > > fails with a ClassNotFound
> > >
> > > could someone check this?
> > > We could easily change it to Class.forName - but not sure what is the
> > > correct classloader.
> > >

> > Openejb core one so should be good. I guess it is a transitive issue or a
> > breaking change in bval we can fix
> >

> > > We should definitily fix such bugs as the startup with TomEE8, compared
> > > TomEE7, is double as slow.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Thomas Andraschko
i'm on tomee-embedded-maven-plugin

Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 14:09 Uhr schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <
[hidden email]>:

> hmm the loader is the parent loader (container one) and it must work, are
> you in a plain tomee or another flavor like tomee-embedded or other?
> Class.forName uses the caller classloader which should be the same here in
> the best case

> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> <
> >

> Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 12:38, Thomas Andraschko <
> [hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
> > I dont think thats related to bval, class.forName works fine
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 12. Okt.
> 2018,
> > 12:20:
> >
> > > Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 11:10, Thomas Andraschko <
> > [hidden email]

> > other

> > > Openejb core one so should be good. I guess it is a transitive issue
> or a
> > > breaking change in bval we can fix

> compared

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Romain Manni-Bucau
ok, means the TCCL can have changed and be wrong here due to a change in
the eager boot code which can capture apploader or maven classloader
instead of the mojo classloader.

Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 14:31, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
a écrit :

> i'm on tomee-embedded-maven-plugin
>
> Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 14:09 Uhr schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > hmm the loader is the parent loader (container one) and it must work, are
> > you in a plain tomee or another flavor like tomee-embedded or other?
> > Class.forName uses the caller classloader which should be the same here
> in
> > the best case

> > https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > <

> > Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 12:38, Thomas Andraschko <
> > [hidden email]>
> > a écrit :
> >
> > > I dont think thats related to bval, class.forName works fine
> > >
> > > Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 12. Okt.
> > 2018,
> > > 12:20:

> > > [hidden email]

> > > other

> loader.loadClass("org.apache.openejb.bval.BValCdiFilter")

> the

> > or a

> > compared

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Roberto Cortez
Thomas, you mean that in the same context and execution if you try loadClass you get the ClassNotFound but the Class.forName is able to load the class?

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 12 Oct 2018, at 13:44, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ok, means the TCCL can have changed and be wrong here due to a change in
> the eager boot code which can capture apploader or maven classloader
> instead of the mojo classloader.

> Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 14:31, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
>> i'm on tomee-embedded-maven-plugin
>>
>> Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 14:09 Uhr schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>>> hmm the loader is the parent loader (container one) and it must work, are
>>> you in a plain tomee or another flavor like tomee-embedded or other?
>>> Class.forName uses the caller classloader which should be the same here
>> in
>>> the best case
>>>
>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <
>>> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
>>> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>>> <

>>> Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 12:38, Thomas Andraschko <
>>> [hidden email]>

>>> 2018,

>> loader.loadClass("org.apache.openejb.bval.BValCdiFilter")

>> the

>>> or a

>>> compared

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Thomas Andraschko
Yep
1 min ago i just verified that it only occurs on embedded-maven-plugin

maybe you have a good idea to fix it

in meantime i will check if we should enhance the BValCdiFilter.

Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:25 Uhr schrieb Roberto Cortez
<[hidden email]>:

> Thomas, you mean that in the same context and execution if you try
> loadClass you get the ClassNotFound but the Class.forName is able to load
> the class?
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 12 Oct 2018, at 13:44, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > ok, means the TCCL can have changed and be wrong here due to a change in
> > the eager boot code which can capture apploader or maven classloader
> > instead of the mojo classloader.

> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > <
> >

> > Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 14:31, Thomas Andraschko <
> [hidden email]>
> > a écrit :
> >
> >> i'm on tomee-embedded-maven-plugin

> are
> >> in

> >> loader.loadClass("org.apache.openejb.bval.BValCdiFilter")

> >> the

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Roberto Cortez
Did you check if this also happens in TomEE 7.x?

> On 12 Oct 2018, at 15:29, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yep
> 1 min ago i just verified that it only occurs on embedded-maven-plugin
>
> maybe you have a good idea to fix it
>
> in meantime i will check if we should enhance the BValCdiFilter.
>
> Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:25 Uhr schrieb Roberto Cortez
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Thomas, you mean that in the same context and execution if you try
>> loadClass you get the ClassNotFound but the Class.forName is able to load
>> the class?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 12 Oct 2018, at 13:44, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> ok, means the TCCL can have changed and be wrong here due to a change in
>>> the eager boot code which can capture apploader or maven classloader
>>> instead of the mojo classloader.
>>>
>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
>>> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>>> <
>>>

>>> Le ven. 12 oct. 2018 à 14:31, Thomas Andraschko <
>> [hidden email]>

>> are

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Thomas Andraschko
Yep, it doesn't work there either.
BVal 1.x doesn't require so much metadata-lookup as 2.x, so therefore the
overhead is now much bigger in TomEE8.x now

Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:32 Uhr schrieb Roberto Cortez
<[hidden email]>:

> Did you check if this also happens in TomEE 7.x?
>
> > On 12 Oct 2018, at 15:29, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yep
> > 1 min ago i just verified that it only occurs on embedded-maven-plugin
> >
> > maybe you have a good idea to fix it
> >
> > in meantime i will check if we should enhance the BValCdiFilter.
> >
> > Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:25 Uhr schrieb Roberto Cortez
> > <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Thomas, you mean that in the same context and execution if you try
> >> loadClass you get the ClassNotFound but the Class.forName is able to
> load
> >> the class?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Roberto

> in

> >> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> are
> here

> the

> issue

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Roberto Cortez
Hi Thomas,

If you already have an app that you can share with me that reproduces the issue it would be great. If not I’ll do one here.

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 12 Oct 2018, at 15:37, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yep, it doesn't work there either.
> BVal 1.x doesn't require so much metadata-lookup as 2.x, so therefore the
> overhead is now much bigger in TomEE8.x now
>

> Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:32 Uhr schrieb Roberto Cortez
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Did you check if this also happens in TomEE 7.x?
>>
>>> On 12 Oct 2018, at 15:29, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep
>>> 1 min ago i just verified that it only occurs on embedded-maven-plugin
>>>
>>> maybe you have a good idea to fix it
>>>
>>> in meantime i will check if we should enhance the BValCdiFilter.

>> load

>> in

>> here

>> the

>> issue

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Thomas Andraschko
I cant share it sorry. But you can just deploy any App and check the static
field in the bvalExtension

Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018,
17:21:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> If you already have an app that you can share with me that reproduces the
> issue it would be great. If not I’ll do one here.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 12 Oct 2018, at 15:37, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yep, it doesn't work there either.
> > BVal 1.x doesn't require so much metadata-lookup as 2.x, so therefore the
> > overhead is now much bigger in TomEE8.x now
> >

> > Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:32 Uhr schrieb Roberto Cortez
> > <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Did you check if this also happens in TomEE 7.x?

> [hidden email]>

> >> load

> >> in

> work,
> other?
> >> here

> Okt.

> >> the

> is

> >> issue

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Thomas Andraschko
*start any app with the maven embedded plugin

Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> schrieb am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018,
17:21:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> If you already have an app that you can share with me that reproduces the
> issue it would be great. If not I’ll do one here.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 12 Oct 2018, at 15:37, Thomas Andraschko <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Yep, it doesn't work there either.
> > BVal 1.x doesn't require so much metadata-lookup as 2.x, so therefore the
> > overhead is now much bigger in TomEE8.x now
> >

> > Am Fr., 12. Okt. 2018 um 16:32 Uhr schrieb Roberto Cortez
> > <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Did you check if this also happens in TomEE 7.x?

> [hidden email]>

> >> load

> >> in

> work,
> other?
> >> here

> Okt.

> >> the

> is

> >> issue

Re: TomEE8: BValCdiFilter not initialized

Roberto Cortez
Ok! Thanks!