TomEE management/administration applications

TomEE management/administration applications

sudhakarvm
This post was updated on .
We are looking for TomEE administration application similar to Weblogic
console, from where I can override connection pool settings, thread pool
settings, JVM settings etc. Or using GUI I can enable a queue or disable,
view the EJB's. Is there any such application. Should I look into Webadmin.

I tried tomee-webaccess-7.0.2, it seemed to be just deployed applications
and log file viewer. Can it do anything more.

tomee-webapp-7.0.2.war, seems to be just TomEE installer; but it did not
worked on my machine. I could just see Installer link and nothing happens after
clicking it.

Also can you please suggest any good books for TomEE development and
administration.

Thanks in advance.
Sudhakar

Re: TomEE management/administration applications

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Sudhakar,

We don't have an OS/free console really worth it ATM I think - mainly
because our configuration stays simple enough to not require it. We have a
few JMX stuff but it depends what you are looking for.

Not sure there is a book going really further Tomcat administration and
tomee configuration but you can check our website at
http://tomee.apache.org/docs.html and ask any question you don't find an
answer to here.

Le ven. 5 oct. 2018 à 13:52, sudhakarvm <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> We are looking for TomEE administration application similar to Weblogic
> console, from where I can override connection pool settings, thread pool
> settings, JVM settings etc. Or using GUI I can enable a queue or disable,
> view the EJB's. Is there any such application. Should I look into Webadmin.
>
> I tried tomee-webaccess-7.0.2, it seemed to be just deployed applications
> and log file viewer. Can it do anything more.
>
> tomee-webapp-7.0.2.war, seems to be just TomEE installer; but it did not
> worked on my machine. I could just Installer link and nothing happens after
> clicking it.
>
> Also can you please suggest any good books for TomEE development and
> administration.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Sudhakar

Re: TomEE management/administration applications

exabrial12
To echo Romain's point and add some advice from the trenches: All pool
configuration is done in a very simple file, largely negating the need for a
console. I think most of the functionality you're asking for is available
via JMX. TomEE also has an API for writing your own JMX mbeans to do
anything the container doesn't offer by default:
http://tomee.apache.org/examples-trunk/mbean-auto-registration

However, TomEE has a different design philosophy than Weblogic. We value
minimalism to maximize speed and have only a few MB of RAM overhead per app.
Combine that with it's fast boot times, I've always encouraged people run
one app per TomEE/JVM instance and leverage your operating system's existing
service management facility (systemd, smf), or something like LXC/Docker
instead. Weblogic is designed to be a service manager itself, so it comes
from a different philosophy of thinking.

Monitoring your apps is extremely important for any business. If you'd like
to store the JMX information of TomEE, I suggest deploying/securing Hawtio
in the JVM and using the TICK stack; Hawtio to expose JMX metrics, Telegraf
to poll/transmit those to Influxdb, then graphing them out with Chronograf.
Adding Kapacitor allows you to script alerts. I've been meaning to write a
blog post about this for awhile since it works exceptionally well.

Re: TomEE management/administration applications

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Great answer. Wondering if we could create some kind of a page on our
website with this kind of value?
What do you think?

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 5:33 PM exabrial12 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To echo Romain's point and add some advice from the trenches: All pool
> configuration is done in a very simple file, largely negating the need for
> console. I think most of the functionality you're asking for is available
> via JMX. TomEE also has an API for writing your own JMX mbeans to do
> anything the container doesn't offer by default:
> http://tomee.apache.org/examples-trunk/mbean-auto-registration
>
> However, TomEE has a different design philosophy than Weblogic. We value
> minimalism to maximize speed and have only a few MB of RAM overhead per
> app.
> Combine that with it's fast boot times, I've always encouraged people run
> one app per TomEE/JVM instance and leverage your operating system's
> existing
> service management facility (systemd, smf), or something like LXC/Docker
> instead. Weblogic is designed to be a service manager itself, so it comes
> from a different philosophy of thinking.
>
> Monitoring your apps is extremely important for any business. If you'd like
> to store the JMX information of TomEE, I suggest deploying/securing Hawtio
> in the JVM and using the TICK stack; Hawtio to expose JMX metrics, Telegraf
> to poll/transmit those to Influxdb, then graphing them out with Chronograf.
> Adding Kapacitor allows you to script alerts. I've been meaning to write a
> blog post about this for awhile since it works exceptionally well.

Re: TomEE management/administration applications

Luis Rodríguez Fernández
 Thanks Jonathan, brilliant!

We are doing kind of the same using jolokia --> telegraf --> influxdb -->
grafana.

Jonathan: in your opinion what would be the advantages of chronograf over
grafana? Looking forward for your blog post! :)

Thanks,

Luis

[1] https://jolokia.org/

El mar., 9 oct. 2018 a las 17:33, exabrial12 (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> To echo Romain's point and add some advice from the trenches: All pool
> configuration is done in a very simple file, largely negating the need for
> console. I think most of the functionality you're asking for is available
> via JMX. TomEE also has an API for writing your own JMX mbeans to do
> anything the container doesn't offer by default:
> http://tomee.apache.org/examples-trunk/mbean-auto-registration
>
> However, TomEE has a different design philosophy than Weblogic. We value
> minimalism to maximize speed and have only a few MB of RAM overhead per
> app.
> Combine that with it's fast boot times, I've always encouraged people run
> one app per TomEE/JVM instance and leverage your operating system's
> existing
> service management facility (systemd, smf), or something like LXC/Docker
> instead. Weblogic is designed to be a service manager itself, so it comes
> from a different philosophy of thinking.
>
> Monitoring your apps is extremely important for any business. If you'd like
> to store the JMX information of TomEE, I suggest deploying/securing Hawtio
> in the JVM and using the TICK stack; Hawtio to expose JMX metrics, Telegraf
> to poll/transmit those to Influxdb, then graphing them out with Chronograf.
> Adding Kapacitor allows you to script alerts. I've been meaning to write a
> blog post about this for awhile since it works exceptionally well.

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

- Samuel Beckett

Re: TomEE management/administration applications

exabrial12
Grafana is great. I've used it in the past and liked it. If you have multiple
timeseries databases, it's ability to combine them is very handy.

Chronograf offers a similar feature set, but adds a some pre-built
dashboards for quite a few things... But the biggest selling point is the
Kapacitor integration. Kapacitor is an monitoring/alerting daemon. You write
TickScripts that watch the InfluxDB stream for certain conditions and can
take actions like alerting or even rectifying the issue. The TickScript
language is lambda/builder based so it's not incredibly hard to learn and
offers an immense amount of flexibility.

Attached: one of our generalized Chronograf TomEE dashboards:

<http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/file/t374660/Screen_Shot_2018-10-09_at_3.png>

I'm likely going to submit a patch Telegraf for Tomcat. TomEE needs to put a
"type" on some it's metrics (like am I monitoring a jms connection factory
or a datasource) to make an automatic dashboard, I'll probably get around
two writing a patch for that later.

It's also worth noting that [I believe, correct me if I'm wrong] Tomitribe
offers an enhanced version of TomEE with metrics, and they've been super
busy working on getting MicroProfile health checks into TomEE 7.1.x/8.0.x.
It might be worth reaching out to them!