TomEE logo poll

ivanjunckes
Hey guys, we have been through this discussion before but I don't think we
ever had a conclusion. In my opinion would be very important for the
project to have a logo and now TomEE is getting a lot of exposure why not
take advantage of the moment and promote TomEE even more with a great logo?

These are some options proposed in the past:

We could do something like David did here for JakartaEE:
https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/ee4j/issues/11

And the winning logo would be the one with the most number of thumbs up.

What do you guys think?

Re: TomEE logo poll

Daniel Dias Dos Santos

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer
SouJava & JCP Member
GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

Em sex, 28 de dez de 2018 às 14:32, Ivan Junckes Filho <
[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hey guys, we have been through this discussion before but I don't think we
> ever had a conclusion. In my opinion would be very important for the
> project to have a logo and now TomEE is getting a lot of exposure why not
> take advantage of the moment and promote TomEE even more with a great logo?
>
> These are some options proposed in the past:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-574
>
> We could do something like David did here for JakartaEE:
> https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/ee4j/issues/11
>
> And the winning logo would be the one with the most number of thumbs up.
>
> What do you guys think?

Re: TomEE logo poll

Khalid HORRI
+1

--
*تحياتي*
Cordialement,
Khalid HORRI
Consultant Technique en Java/JEE

Re: TomEE logo poll

Otávio Gonçalves de Santana
+1

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 3:38 PM Khalid HORRI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 6:29 PM Daniel Dias Dos Santos <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1
> > --
> >
> > *Daniel Dias dos Santos*
> > Java Developer
> > SouJava & JCP Member
> > GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
> > Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava
> >

> > Em sex, 28 de dez de 2018 às 14:32, Ivan Junckes Filho <
> > [hidden email]> escreveu:
> >
> > > Hey guys, we have been through this discussion before but I don't think
> > we
> > > ever had a conclusion. In my opinion would be very important for the
> > > project to have a logo and now TomEE is getting a lot of exposure why
> not
> > > take advantage of the moment and promote TomEE even more with a great
> > logo?
> > >
> > > These are some options proposed in the past:
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-574
> > >
> > > We could do something like David did here for JakartaEE:
> > > https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/ee4j/issues/11
> > >
> > > And the winning logo would be the one with the most number of thumbs
> up.
> > >
> > > What do you guys think?
> > >

> --
> *تحياتي*
> Cordialement,
> Best regards
> *خالد حري*
> Khalid HORRI
> Consultant Technique en Java/JEE

Re: TomEE logo poll

Richard Monson-Haefel
My Favorites are ones I created.

TomEE Logo Red-Eyed Tiger
TomEE Logo Lion (although, if I remember correctly, I think David may have
based his on this)

If not those than Paw Print 1 or TomEE_BigCat

--
Richard Monson-Haefel
https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

brunobat

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 28/12/18 16:32, Ivan Junckes Filho wrote:

> Hey guys, we have been through this discussion before but I don't think we
> ever had a conclusion. In my opinion would be very important for the
> project to have a logo and now TomEE is getting a lot of exposure why not
> take advantage of the moment and promote TomEE even more with a great logo?
>
> These are some options proposed in the past:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-574
>
> We could do something like David did here for JakartaEE:
> https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/ee4j/issues/11
>
> And the winning logo would be the one with the most number of thumbs up.
>
> What do you guys think?

Re: TomEE logo poll

ivanjunckes
Would be nice to get some +1 or -1 from some committers here :)

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 9:31 PM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>

> On 28/12/18 16:32, Ivan Junckes Filho wrote:
> > Hey guys, we have been through this discussion before but I don't think
> we
> > ever had a conclusion. In my opinion would be very important for the
> > project to have a logo and now TomEE is getting a lot of exposure why not
> > take advantage of the moment and promote TomEE even more with a great
> logo?
> >
> > These are some options proposed in the past:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-574
> >
> > We could do something like David did here for JakartaEE:
> > https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/ee4j/issues/11
> >
> > And the winning logo would be the one with the most number of thumbs up.
> >
> > What do you guys think?

Re: TomEE logo poll

Daniel Cunha-2
+1

Daniel "soro" Cunha
https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: TomEE logo poll

Gurkan Erdogdu-5
+1

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 2:51 PM Daniel Cunha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Em qua, 2 de jan de 2019 às 08:40, Ivan Junckes Filho <
> [hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>
> > Would be nice to get some +1 or -1 from some committers here :)
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 9:31 PM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > Bruno Baptista
> > > https://twitter.com/brunobat_

> think
> > > we
> > not
> > > logo?

> > up.

> --
> Daniel "soro" Cunha
> https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: TomEE logo poll

Richard Monson-Haefel
Hi Ivan,

Your call to action on this is awesome but what exactly are we +1ing
about?  The act of considering a logo or are we +1ing David's Logo (by the
way the link on your post didn't work for me personally).

thanks!

Richard

--
Richard Monson-Haefel
https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

ivanjunckes
The idea I had in mind is:

1 - Give a 1 week time for people to advocate for a logo. (Share the logo
in github issue)
2 - Give a 1 week time for voting (we would gather all the logos that
people advocated for and add to another github issue and ask for thumbs up)

The logo that gets more thumbs up in a range of a week wins!

So, not asking for +1 in a specific logo, but for the willingness of the
community to choose a logo using a poll mechanism.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Richard Monson-Haefel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> Your call to action on this is awesome but what exactly are we +1ing
> about?  The act of considering a logo or are we +1ing David's Logo (by the
> way the link on your post didn't work for me personally).
>
> thanks!
>
> Richard
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:40 AM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Would be nice to get some +1 or -1 from some committers here :)
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 9:31 PM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > Bruno Baptista
> > > https://twitter.com/brunobat_

> think
> > > we
> > not
> > > logo?

> > up.

> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

Richard Monson-Haefel
Thanks for the clarification!

+1 on that plan!

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

brunobat
+1 for the plan

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 02/01/19 13:52, Ivan Junckes Filho wrote:

> The idea I had in mind is:
>
> 1 - Give a 1 week time for people to advocate for a logo. (Share the logo
> in github issue)
> 2 - Give a 1 week time for voting (we would gather all the logos that
> people advocated for and add to another github issue and ask for thumbs up)
>
> The logo that gets more thumbs up in a range of a week wins!
>
> So, not asking for +1 in a specific logo, but for the willingness of the
> community to choose a logo using a poll mechanism.
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Richard Monson-Haefel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ivan,
>>
>> Your call to action on this is awesome but what exactly are we +1ing
>> about?  The act of considering a logo or are we +1ing David's Logo (by the
>> way the link on your post didn't work for me personally).
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:40 AM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Would be nice to get some +1 or -1 from some committers here :)

>> think
>>> not

>>> up.
>>>>>

>> --
>> Richard Monson-Haefel
>> https://twitter.com/rmonson
>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

I'm generally ok with this, and it looks like there is plenty of support
for it. Some questions:

* would we include the existing proposals?
* I think 1 week is fine for the final vote, but wonder if we'd want to
allow a bit longer to create the actual submissions?

The ASF voting process is documented here:
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html - I can't see any reason why
we couldn't use GitHub for that, but I think we'd need to post a thread on
this mailing list (and probably the user mailing list as well) so its very
clear.

Jon

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The idea I had in mind is:
>
> 1 - Give a 1 week time for people to advocate for a logo. (Share the logo
> in github issue)
> 2 - Give a 1 week time for voting (we would gather all the logos that
> people advocated for and add to another github issue and ask for thumbs up)
>
> The logo that gets more thumbs up in a range of a week wins!
>
> So, not asking for +1 in a specific logo, but for the willingness of the
> community to choose a logo using a poll mechanism.
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Richard Monson-Haefel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ivan,
> >
> > Your call to action on this is awesome but what exactly are we +1ing
> > about?  The act of considering a logo or are we +1ing David's Logo (by
> the
> > way the link on your post didn't work for me personally).
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:40 AM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Would be nice to get some +1 or -1 from some committers here :)

> > think
> the
> why
> > > not
> great

> thumbs
> > > up.

> > --
> > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

Roberto Cortez
I’m wondering if we don’t have to go through some legal process first to make sure that we can whatever logo wins?

> On 3 Jan 2019, at 11:33, Jonathan Gallimore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm generally ok with this, and it looks like there is plenty of support
> for it. Some questions:
>
> * would we include the existing proposals?
> * I think 1 week is fine for the final vote, but wonder if we'd want to
> allow a bit longer to create the actual submissions?
>
> The ASF voting process is documented here:
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html - I can't see any reason why
> we couldn't use GitHub for that, but I think we'd need to post a thread on
> this mailing list (and probably the user mailing list as well) so its very
> clear.
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The idea I had in mind is:
>>
>> 1 - Give a 1 week time for people to advocate for a logo. (Share the logo
>> in github issue)
>> 2 - Give a 1 week time for voting (we would gather all the logos that
>> people advocated for and add to another github issue and ask for thumbs up)
>>
>> The logo that gets more thumbs up in a range of a week wins!
>>
>> So, not asking for +1 in a specific logo, but for the willingness of the
>> community to choose a logo using a poll mechanism.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Richard Monson-Haefel <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ivan,
>>>
>>> Your call to action on this is awesome but what exactly are we +1ing
>>> about?  The act of considering a logo or are we +1ing David's Logo (by
>> the
>>> way the link on your post didn't work for me personally).
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> Richard

>>> think
>> the
>> why
>> great

>> thumbs

>>> --
>>> Richard Monson-Haefel
>>> https://twitter.com/rmonson
>>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

ivanjunckes
On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 9:33 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm generally ok with this, and it looks like there is plenty of support
> for it. Some questions:
>
> * would we include the existing proposals?

It would include the logos people advocate for. Anyone can go on the list
of the old logos and advocate for one of them.

> * I think 1 week is fine for the final vote, but wonder if we'd want to
> allow a bit longer to create the actual submissions?

That is fine, it can be 2 weeks for logo advocating + 1 week for voting.

> The ASF voting process is documented here:
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html - I can't see any reason why
> we couldn't use GitHub for that, but I think we'd need to post a thread on
> this mailing list (and probably the user mailing list as well) so its very
> clear.
>
> +1

> Jon
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > The idea I had in mind is:
> >
> > 1 - Give a 1 week time for people to advocate for a logo. (Share the logo
> > in github issue)
> > 2 - Give a 1 week time for voting (we would gather all the logos that
> > people advocated for and add to another github issue and ask for thumbs
> up)
> >
> > The logo that gets more thumbs up in a range of a week wins!
> >
> > So, not asking for +1 in a specific logo, but for the willingness of the
> > community to choose a logo using a poll mechanism.
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Richard Monson-Haefel <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Ivan,
> > >
> > > Your call to action on this is awesome but what exactly are we +1ing
> > > about?  The act of considering a logo or are we +1ing David's Logo (by
> > the
> > > way the link on your post didn't work for me personally).
> > >
> > > thanks!
> > >
> > > Richard
> > >
> > > On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:40 AM Ivan Junckes Filho <

> > > think
> > the
> > why
> > great

> > thumbs

> > > --
> > > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

ivanjunckes
Roberto, if the logo has legal problems won't be an issue, as we can take
the next most voted one.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 9:44 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I’m wondering if we don’t have to go through some legal process first to
> make sure that we can whatever logo wins?
>
> > On 3 Jan 2019, at 11:33, Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm generally ok with this, and it looks like there is plenty of support
> > for it. Some questions:
> >
> > * would we include the existing proposals?
> > * I think 1 week is fine for the final vote, but wonder if we'd want to
> > allow a bit longer to create the actual submissions?
> >
> > The ASF voting process is documented here:
> > https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html - I can't see any reason
> why
> > we couldn't use GitHub for that, but I think we'd need to post a thread
> on
> > this mailing list (and probably the user mailing list as well) so its
> very
> > clear.
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The idea I had in mind is:
> >>
> >> 1 - Give a 1 week time for people to advocate for a logo. (Share the
> logo
> >> in github issue)
> >> 2 - Give a 1 week time for voting (we would gather all the logos that
> >> people advocated for and add to another github issue and ask for thumbs
> up)
> >>
> >> The logo that gets more thumbs up in a range of a week wins!
> >>
> >> So, not asking for +1 in a specific logo, but for the willingness of the
> >> community to choose a logo using a poll mechanism.

> >> the

> [hidden email]

> >> the
> >> why
> >> great

> >> thumbs

Re: TomEE logo poll

Good question. There is some more information here: https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs. I think we'd need to check for copyright / trademark infringement.

There is also an ASF page listing current project logos: http://www.apache.org/logos/ - note that TomEE already has one on there:

Jon

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:44 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m wondering if we don’t have to go through some legal process first to make sure that we can whatever logo wins?

> On 3 Jan 2019, at 11:33, Jonathan Gallimore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm generally ok with this, and it looks like there is plenty of support
> for it. Some questions:
>
> * would we include the existing proposals?
> * I think 1 week is fine for the final vote, but wonder if we'd want to
> allow a bit longer to create the actual submissions?
>
> The ASF voting process is documented here:
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html - I can't see any reason why
> we couldn't use GitHub for that, but I think we'd need to post a thread on
> this mailing list (and probably the user mailing list as well) so its very
> clear.
>
> Jon
>
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> The idea I had in mind is:
>>
>> 1 - Give a 1 week time for people to advocate for a logo. (Share the logo
>> in github issue)
>> 2 - Give a 1 week time for voting (we would gather all the logos that
>> people advocated for and add to another github issue and ask for thumbs up)
>>
>> The logo that gets more thumbs up in a range of a week wins!
>>
>> So, not asking for +1 in a specific logo, but for the willingness of the
>> community to choose a logo using a poll mechanism.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Richard Monson-Haefel <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ivan,
>>>
>>> Your call to action on this is awesome but what exactly are we +1ing
>>> about?  The act of considering a logo or are we +1ing David's Logo (by
>> the
>>> way the link on your post didn't work for me personally).
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> Richard

>>> think
>> the
>> why
>> great

>> thumbs

>>> --
>>> Richard Monson-Haefel
>>> https://twitter.com/rmonson
>>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE logo poll

Roberto Cortez
Well I think that would be disappointing.

I think that all the logos submitted for voting should be cleared out on any legal issues first and then only voted on the compliant ones.

> On 3 Jan 2019, at 11:47, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Roberto, if the logo has legal problems won't be an issue, as we can take
> the next most voted one.
>
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 9:44 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I’m wondering if we don’t have to go through some legal process first to
>> make sure that we can whatever logo wins?
>>
>>> On 3 Jan 2019, at 11:33, Jonathan Gallimore <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm generally ok with this, and it looks like there is plenty of support
>>> for it. Some questions:
>>>
>>> * would we include the existing proposals?
>>> * I think 1 week is fine for the final vote, but wonder if we'd want to
>>> allow a bit longer to create the actual submissions?
>>>
>>> The ASF voting process is documented here:
>>> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html - I can't see any reason
>> why
>>> we couldn't use GitHub for that, but I think we'd need to post a thread
>> on
>>> this mailing list (and probably the user mailing list as well) so its
>> very
>>> clear.
>>>
>>> Jon

>> logo
>> up)

>> [hidden email]

Re: TomEE logo poll

ivanjunckes
Roberto, I don't know the Apache internals for this. Maybe someone in the
PMC could help with this information. I am not against it if there is a
level of agility...

Anyone could give a feedback about this?