TomEE as JNDI server

dimas
Hi Guys,

We have a need to spin up the stand alone JNDI server (in order to support some PeopleSoft/AMQ integration because AMQ doesn't have one).
There are multiple TomEE's  already running In our environments (and we are pretty happy with it) + operations team is comfortable with  it as well, so the obvious choice is to spin up another TomEE just to host/serve JMDI context to the external client (PSFT).

Is this a good/supported idea?
If not, what are the options?

Cheers,
Dmitry

Re: TomEE as JNDI server

jgallimore
Sounds like an interesting use-case. ActiveMQ does have some JNDI
capabilities: https://activemq.apache.org/jndi-support.html, and the
bindings are controlled via system properties.

How are you adding your bindings in TomEE? Adding resources to tomee.xml?

Off the top of my head, it sounds ok. If you give us an idea of what your
TomEE config looks like (without anything sensitive, such as passwords),
and how you're doing the lookup from PeopleSoft (and whether its the App
server, or a rich client connecting to JNDI and ActiveMQ), we'll probably
be able to give you an idea of whether there are any issues with what
you're doing.

My own PeopleSoft knowledge is from v7.5, so quite out of date, I suspect.
I don't know the specifics of adding libraries and system properties to
Peoplesoft itself, for example, but we can probably guide you in terms of
treating it as a standalone Java application.

Jon

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:15 AM Shultz, Dmitry <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> We have a need to spin up the stand alone JNDI server (in order to support
> some PeopleSoft/AMQ integration because AMQ doesn't have one).
> There are multiple TomEE's  already running In our environments (and we
> are pretty happy with it) + operations team is comfortable with  it as
> well, so the obvious choice is to spin up another TomEE just to host/serve
> JMDI context to the external client (PSFT).
>
> Is this a good/supported idea?
> If not, what are the options?
>
> Cheers,
> Dmitry

RE: TomEE as JNDI server

dimas
I may be totally wrong, but from what I see AMQ JNDI support is good for standalone app that consumes the context programmatically while PSFT supports only JNDI configuration using it's own properties files.
We tried to modify these  files to 'introduce' AMQ objects/JMS destinations to  PSFT with not much success.  I.e. org.apache.activemq.jndi.ActiveMQInitialContextFactory was registered  (I can see it in the error stacktrace) and that's pretty much it. So, if anybody had any positive experience configuring PSFT to use AMQ/Artemis destinations without deploying dedicated JNDI server (or with it) - please share.

I'm not an expert in configuring JNDI for PSFT myself, just helping the guy that maintains our PSFT to migrate from Sonic (provides full blown JNDI Service out of the box) to AMQ/Artemis, but there is ridiculously small amount of useful info available online, i.e.  so far I was able to find only this link http://www.mypeoplesoft.com/m/discussion?id=6576243%3ATopic%3A15796 (that documents some failing attempt to configure PSFT and Tibco).

AMQ seem to promote the use of jndi.properties file, not sure if PSFT would see and consume it though. Just for sake of trying it I'm going to put  the jndi.properties  into the PSFT classpath and see what happens.

There are no restrictions of how to add bindings in TomEE, whatever works (remote PSFT can consume the context) we will use it.

Jon, you mentioned that 'bindings are controlled via system properties'  - is there any related documentation?

Dmitry

Sounds like an interesting use-case. ActiveMQ does have some JNDI
capabilities: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://activemq.apache.org/jndi-support.html__;!!LdWlNaMnLCM!IOGzVt2c1JrsPMl5VruSNnIdVzdyBa5wXO7yQpjwocDcHrjSRt_SOzMWap0sVX0Z2Vpn$ , and the bindings are controlled via system properties.

wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> We have a need to spin up the stand alone JNDI server (in order to
> support some PeopleSoft/AMQ integration because AMQ doesn't have one).
> There are multiple TomEE's  already running In our environments (and
> we are pretty happy with it) + operations team is comfortable with  it
> as well, so the obvious choice is to spin up another TomEE just to
> host/serve JMDI context to the external client (PSFT).
>
> Is this a good/supported idea?
> If not, what are the options?
>
> Cheers,
> Dmitry

RE: TomEE as JNDI server

dimas
There is also this way of doing it https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E21454_01/html/821-2578/dsgn_ppsft-setup_t.html#gkihy but I can't find the PSFTBindJMS.java anywhere online, we wil try to open support tocket to Oracle... will keep you posted :)

Cheers,
Dmitry