TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

fabian-a.richter

Hello everyone,

we are currently using TomEE 1.7.4 and started to discuss an upgrade to the latest version.

Questions (spawned by the TomEE Wikipedia article) arose as to which one is currently the stable (production) release of TomEE: Is it 1.7.5 (as Wikipedia suggests) or the 7.0.4 (as tomee.apache.org suggest) or even 7.0.5 which we have found on a JIRA release notes page?

Another important question we were discussing: Can TomEE run on the OpenJDK JVM without issues or is it necessary to run it on an Oracle JVM? I have read that they are essentially the same, which doesn’t necessarily mean the JDK/JREs are interchangeable, or are they?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

All the best,

Fabian Richter

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Fabian,

answered inline

> Hello everyone,
>

> we are currently using TomEE 1.7.4 and started to discuss an upgrade to
> the latest version.
>

> Questions (spawned by the TomEE Wikipedia article) arose as to which one
> is currently the stable (production) release of TomEE: Is it 1.7.5 (as
> Wikipedia suggests) or the 7.0.4 (as tomee.apache.org suggest) or even
> 7.0.5 which we have found on a JIRA release notes page?

1.7.5 for the 1 branch and 7.0.4 for the last one

you can refer to http://tomee.apache.org/download-ng.html to know which one
you can pick

> Another important question we were discussing: Can TomEE run on the
> OpenJDK JVM without issues or is it necessary to run it on an Oracle JVM? I
> have read that they are essentially the same, which doesn’t necessarily
> mean the JDK/JREs are interchangeable, or are they?

Both work well.

> Thanks in advance for your answers!
>

> All the best,
>
> Fabian Richter

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

agumbrecht
Hi Fabian,

We're using OpenJDK & TomEE on many prod systems, so I'd say it's good
to go in that sense.

The 1.7.5 branch is the EE6 only version, of which the webprofile is
certified.

The 7.x branch is EE7 compatible, but not certified due only to
licensing issues - It's still very stable and used on many prod systems.

The 8.x branch that will soon be available is EE8 compatible.

Hope that helps,

Andy Gumbrecht.

    --
    Andy Gumbrecht

    http://www.tomitribe.com
    agumbrecht@tomitribe.com
    https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

    TomEE treibt Tomitribe ! | http://tomee.apache.org

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Mark Struberg-2

I think what the download page fails to communicate is which EE level it addresses.

We should probably split this into different areas on the download page.

To clarify this

TomEE-1.7.x adresses the JavaEE 6 specifications, with minimum requirement Java7 (up to Java8)
TomEE-7.0.x adresses JavaEE 7, with minimum Java7, soon up to Java11 (7.0.5 in preparation right now)
TomEE-7.1.x (wip) will address JavaEE7 + MicroProfile 1.3, with minimum Java8
TomEE-8.0.x (wip) will address JavaEE8 (+ MicroProfile 1.0) with minimum Java8

ATTENTION: we switched the maven groupId from org.apache.openejb.* in TomEE-1.7.x and before to now org.apache.tomee.
So in case you want to update, just change the groupId. All the rest remained the same.

Fabian, I hope I did cover what you were looking for.

txs and LieGrue,
strub

> Am 04.05.2018 um 15:05 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Fabian,
>
> answered inline

>> Hello everyone,
>>

>> we are currently using TomEE 1.7.4 and started to discuss an upgrade to
>> the latest version.
>>

>> Questions (spawned by the TomEE Wikipedia article) arose as to which one
>> is currently the stable (production) release of TomEE: Is it 1.7.5 (as
>> Wikipedia suggests) or the 7.0.4 (as tomee.apache.org suggest) or even
>> 7.0.5 which we have found on a JIRA release notes page?
>>

> 1.7.5 for the 1 branch and 7.0.4 for the last one
>
> you can refer to http://tomee.apache.org/download-ng.html to know which one
> you can pick
>

>> Another important question we were discussing: Can TomEE run on the
>> OpenJDK JVM without issues or is it necessary to run it on an Oracle JVM? I
>> have read that they are essentially the same, which doesn’t necessarily
>> mean the JDK/JREs are interchangeable, or are they?
>>

> Both work well.
>

>> Thanks in advance for your answers!
>>

>> All the best,
>>
>> Fabian Richter

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Fredrik Jonson-2
Mark Struberg wrote:

> I think what the download page fails to communicate is which EE level
> it addresses.
>
> TomEE-1.7.x adresses the JavaEE 6 specifications, with minimum requirement
> Java7 (up to Java8)
> TomEE-7.0.x adresses JavaEE 7, with minimum Java7, soon up to Java11
> (7.0.5 in preparation right now)
> TomEE-7.1.x (wip) will address JavaEE7 + MicroProfile 1.3 with minimum Java8
> TomEE-8.0.x (wip) will address JavaEE8 + MicroProfile 1.0 with minimum Java8

Thanks for that clarification. It may seem obvious to people in the know, but
it is interesting to see a statement on the upper bound of supported JDK/JRE
version, as well as the lower bound. In addition to the supported Java EE
version range, for the major Tomee versions.

Now, just to be explicit here: Apart from EE certification, does the Tomee
community consider OpenJDK on equal footing to OracleJDK when it comes to Tomee
deployment? Is there any important reason not to recommend OpenJDK over, or at
least on par with, OracleJDK?

I'm asking because I still encounter a bit of hesitation towards migrating from
OracleJDK to OpenJDK. It would be helpful if open source projects such as Tomee
made a clear stance on OpenJDK.

BTW, I also run Tomee 7.x on OpenJDK 8, and have not found any issues compared
to OracleJDK. So, now we know there are more than one application deployed on
Tomee and OpenJDK. :)

Fredrik Jonson

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Mark Struberg-2
I'm running it in production with OpenJDK.

Actually whenever you have some RHEL server then you will run on OpenJDK.
So those days everything which is in the Linux server area will almost certainly run perfectly fine on OpenJDK.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 06.05.2018 um 12:10 schrieb Fredrik Jonson <[hidden email]>:
>
> Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> I think what the download page fails to communicate is which EE level
>> it addresses.
>>
>> TomEE-1.7.x adresses the JavaEE 6 specifications, with minimum requirement
>> Java7 (up to Java8)
>> TomEE-7.0.x adresses JavaEE 7, with minimum Java7, soon up to Java11
>> (7.0.5 in preparation right now)
>> TomEE-7.1.x (wip) will address JavaEE7 + MicroProfile 1.3 with minimum Java8
>> TomEE-8.0.x (wip) will address JavaEE8 + MicroProfile 1.0 with minimum Java8
>
> Thanks for that clarification. It may seem obvious to people in the know, but
> it is interesting to see a statement on the upper bound of supported JDK/JRE
> version, as well as the lower bound. In addition to the supported Java EE
> version range, for the major Tomee versions.
>
> Now, just to be explicit here: Apart from EE certification, does the Tomee
> community consider OpenJDK on equal footing to OracleJDK when it comes to Tomee
> deployment? Is there any important reason not to recommend OpenJDK over, or at
> least on par with, OracleJDK?
>
> I'm asking because I still encounter a bit of hesitation towards migrating from
> OracleJDK to OpenJDK. It would be helpful if open source projects such as Tomee
> made a clear stance on OpenJDK.
>
> BTW, I also run Tomee 7.x on OpenJDK 8, and have not found any issues compared
> to OracleJDK. So, now we know there are more than one application deployed on
> Tomee and OpenJDK. :)
>
> --
> Fredrik Jonson

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

chongma
i also use OpenJDK on CentOS without problem.  I thought OpenJDK was
blessed by Oracle.  I also remember reading that OpenJDK code is used
inside Oracle JDK, Oracle one just has some extra stuff like JavaFX etc

On 06/05/18 12:10, Fredrik Jonson wrote:

> Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> I think what the download page fails to communicate is which EE level
>> it addresses.
>>
>> TomEE-1.7.x adresses the JavaEE 6 specifications, with minimum requirement
>> Java7 (up to Java8)
>> TomEE-7.0.x adresses JavaEE 7, with minimum Java7, soon up to Java11
>> (7.0.5 in preparation right now)
>> TomEE-7.1.x (wip) will address JavaEE7 + MicroProfile 1.3 with minimum Java8
>> TomEE-8.0.x (wip) will address JavaEE8 + MicroProfile 1.0 with minimum Java8
> Thanks for that clarification. It may seem obvious to people in the know, but
> it is interesting to see a statement on the upper bound of supported JDK/JRE
> version, as well as the lower bound. In addition to the supported Java EE
> version range, for the major Tomee versions.
>
> Now, just to be explicit here: Apart from EE certification, does the Tomee
> community consider OpenJDK on equal footing to OracleJDK when it comes to Tomee
> deployment? Is there any important reason not to recommend OpenJDK over, or at
> least on par with, OracleJDK?
>
> I'm asking because I still encounter a bit of hesitation towards migrating from
> OracleJDK to OpenJDK. It would be helpful if open source projects such as Tomee
> made a clear stance on OpenJDK.
>
> BTW, I also run Tomee 7.x on OpenJDK 8, and have not found any issues compared
> to OracleJDK. So, now we know there are more than one application deployed on
> Tomee and OpenJDK. :)

RE: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Franos13
Hello Mark,

Thanks a lot for sharing the TomEE roadmap.

My main concerns about TomEE are:
    -  java 9 and above support (java 10 and 11)
    - JavaEE 8 specification support
    - µProfile follow up: no TomEE µProfile released yet whereas others exist today like Payara micro, Wildfly Swarm for example.

So first, java 9 and above support: when you say 7.0.5 in preparation right now, could you provide us please a release date ?
Second, I have another question: TomEE 7.1.x will address µProfile 1.3, right ? So why, TomEE 8.x won't address µProfile 1.3 at starting point ?

Best regards.

I'm running it in production with OpenJDK.

Actually whenever you have some RHEL server then you will run on OpenJDK.
So those days everything which is in the Linux server area will almost certainly run perfectly fine on OpenJDK.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 06.05.2018 um 12:10 schrieb Fredrik Jonson <[hidden email]>:
>
> Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> I think what the download page fails to communicate is which EE level
>> it addresses.
>>
>> TomEE-1.7.x adresses the JavaEE 6 specifications, with minimum
>> requirement
>> Java7 (up to Java8)
>> TomEE-7.0.x adresses JavaEE 7, with minimum Java7, soon up to Java11
>> (7.0.5 in preparation right now)
>> TomEE-7.1.x (wip) will address JavaEE7 + MicroProfile 1.3 with
>> minimum Java8 TomEE-8.0.x (wip) will address JavaEE8 + MicroProfile
>> 1.0 with minimum Java8
>
> Thanks for that clarification. It may seem obvious to people in the
> know, but it is interesting to see a statement on the upper bound of
> supported JDK/JRE version, as well as the lower bound. In addition to
> the supported Java EE version range, for the major Tomee versions.
>
> Now, just to be explicit here: Apart from EE certification, does the
> Tomee community consider OpenJDK on equal footing to OracleJDK when it
> comes to Tomee deployment? Is there any important reason not to
> recommend OpenJDK over, or at least on par with, OracleJDK?
>
> I'm asking because I still encounter a bit of hesitation towards
> migrating from OracleJDK to OpenJDK. It would be helpful if open
> source projects such as Tomee made a clear stance on OpenJDK.
>
> BTW, I also run Tomee 7.x on OpenJDK 8, and have not found any issues
> compared to OracleJDK. So, now we know there are more than one
> application deployed on Tomee and OpenJDK. :)
>
> --
> Fredrik Jonson

________________________________

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le lun. 14 mai 2018 13:16, COURTAULT Francois <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello Mark,
>
> Thanks a lot for sharing the TomEE roadmap.
>
> My main concerns about TomEE are:
>     -  java 9 and above support (java 10 and 11)
>     - JavaEE 8 specification support
>     - µProfile follow up: no TomEE µProfile released yet whereas others
> exist today like Payara micro, Wildfly Swarm for example.
>
> So first, java 9 and above support: when you say 7.0.5 in preparation
> right now, could you provide us please a release date ?
> Second, I have another question: TomEE 7.1.x will address µProfile 1.3,
> right ? So why, TomEE 8.x won't address µProfile 1.3 at starting point ?

8 will, 7.1 is still being discussed AFAIK

The side note is you can import most of mp spec as any lib in any tomee
distro since they never really depends on the container and rely - as any
spec should - on cdi IoC for the wiring.

> Best regards.

RE: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

Franos13
Hello Romain and Mark,

If I have understood you well, TomEE 8 will address µProfile 1.3  since its first version.

But what about my first question regarding 7.0.5 ?

Best Regards.

Le lun. 14 mai 2018 13:16, COURTAULT Francois < [hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello Mark,
>
> Thanks a lot for sharing the TomEE roadmap.
>
> My main concerns about TomEE are:
>     -  java 9 and above support (java 10 and 11)
>     - JavaEE 8 specification support
>     - µProfile follow up: no TomEE µProfile released yet whereas
> others exist today like Payara micro, Wildfly Swarm for example.
>
> So first, java 9 and above support: when you say 7.0.5 in preparation
> right now, could you provide us please a release date ?
> Second, I have another question: TomEE 7.1.x will address µProfile
> 1.3, right ? So why, TomEE 8.x won't address µProfile 1.3 at starting point ?

8 will, 7.1 is still being discussed AFAIK

The side note is you can import most of mp spec as any lib in any tomee distro since they never really depends on the container and rely - as any spec should - on cdi IoC for the wiring.

> Best regards.

Re: TomEE Stable and OpenJDK

jgallimore
Exact dates are hard to provide. As a rough idea, we'll need a OpenJPA
release, and I think Mark is kicking that off soon, and then I think we're
probably good to go. The TomEE release can take a week or to, depending on
any issues that crop up, and allowing enough time to vote.

Hope that is some help.

Jon