TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Roberto Cortez
Hi all,
I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122

With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting with the MicroProfile Config.
Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other implementations into it as well.
Thanks!
Cheers,Roberto

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Daniel Cunha

Daniel "soro" Cunha
https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Roberto, looks a very good start. I have a few discussion points - not
100% linked to this PR but since it triggers items we'll need to discuss
I'm dumping it here:

1. MPService should probably be replaced to use a lookup from the
classloader and not a particular location (should work in split
distributions probably, thinking to /opt/tomee /opt/mp /opt/apps). Also
think we shouldn't need it at all and just have an include (white) list for
container jars which are scannable (we have a flag for it, we should just
make it configurable with an include/exclude properties and activate it by
default probably), wdyt?
2. due to 1 tomee-microprofile shouldn't exist I think (we keep the
bundling in apache-tomee)
3. NOTICE references mojarra, is it an error?
4. do we bypass mp.war? (+1 from me)
5. open question - we can create another thread on this one: do we use
tomee-maven-plugin to create our assemblies instead of copying 4 times the
assembly.xml and attach hack?

> +1

> > Hi all,
> > I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
> >
> > With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
> > with the MicroProfile Config.
> > Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
> > implementations into it as well.
> > Thanks!
> > Cheers,Roberto
>

> --
> Daniel "soro" Cunha
> https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Roberto Cortez

Hi Romain,
Thank you for your quick reply.
I did try to make it consistent, following the patterns I was able to identify already in the project.
1 - I'll +1 on configurable way to whitelist, include or exclude jars from scanning. This would take priority over the default.excludes.2 - If 1 is true, yet. On the other hand, I don't know if we are going to require other integrations with the other MP specs. The ideia of that project was to concentrate the integration code. In the end if nothing is required than it can go away.3 - I guess it was just copy + paste from other NOTICE4 - +1 too. Was just following what was already in. Are the other war's useful at all? Couldn't we get rid of all of them?5 - +1 on tomee plugin to create assembly

@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog

> +1

> > Hi all,
> > I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
> >
> > With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
> > with the MicroProfile Config.
> > Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
> > implementations into it as well.
> > Thanks!
> > Cheers,Roberto
>

> --
> Daniel "soro" Cunha
> https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Romain Manni-Bucau
Not sure why gmail messed up the formatting so putting my comments/answers
here instead of inline:

1. we have forced scan/exclude in the URLClassLoaderfirst, guess it would
be the exact same kind of config
2. I got it but there is no spec in MP requiring integration code normally
(config doesn't, fault-tolerance doesn't, jwt doesn't - but can require
some fixes in our secu propag but that's not specific to MP, etc...)

webprofile and full profiles wars are very rarely used and kind of a legacy
we can drop for tomee 8 but not tomee 7, would be great to not create this
legacy for MP IMHO. We can throw a vote on that, would also allow to drop
the overlay module BTW ;).

> Hi Romain,
> Thank you for your quick reply.
> I did try to make it consistent, following the patterns I was able to
> identify already in the project.
> 1 - I'll +1 on configurable way to whitelist, include or exclude jars from
> scanning. This would take priority over the default.excludes.2 - If 1 is
> true, yet. On the other hand, I don't know if we are going to require other
> integrations with the other MP specs. The ideia of that project was to
> concentrate the integration code. In the end if nothing is required than it
> can go away.3 - I guess it was just copy + paste from other NOTICE4 - +1
> too. Was just following what was already in. Are the other war's useful at
> all? Couldn't we get rid of all of them?5 - +1 on tomee plugin to create
> assembly
> Cheers,Roberto    On Monday, March 5, 2018, 1:55:53 PM GMT, Romain
> Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Hi Roberto, looks a very good start. I have a few discussion points - not
> 100% linked to this PR but since it triggers items we'll need to discuss
> I'm dumping it here:
>
> 1. MPService should probably be replaced to use a lookup from the
> classloader and not a particular location (should work in split
> distributions probably, thinking to /opt/tomee /opt/mp /opt/apps). Also
> think we shouldn't need it at all and just have an include (white) list for
> container jars which are scannable (we have a flag for it, we should just
> make it configurable with an include/exclude properties and activate it by
> default probably), wdyt?
> 2. due to 1 tomee-microprofile shouldn't exist I think (we keep the
> bundling in apache-tomee)
> 3. NOTICE references mojarra, is it an error?
> 4. do we bypass mp.war? (+1 from me)
> 5. open question - we can create another thread on this one: do we use
> tomee-maven-plugin to create our assemblies instead of copying 4 times the
> assembly.xml and attach hack?

> rmannibucau> |
> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-
> ee-8-high-performance>

> > +1

> > > Hi all,
> > > I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
> > >
> > > With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
> > > with the MicroProfile Config.
> > > Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
> > > implementations into it as well.
> > > Thanks!
> > > Cheers,Roberto
> >

> > --
> > Daniel "soro" Cunha
> > https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

jgallimore
I generally agree about not adding a microprofile profile. I'd be tempted
to just add it to all the existing profiles. What would the size impact of
that be?

Also, I think an example showing how config works would be really great. I
don't think that has to go in the same PR though.

Jon

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 2:40 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > tomee-maven-plugin to create our assemblies instead of copying 4 times
> the
> > assembly.xml and attach hack?

> > <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <https://github.com/
> > rmannibucau> |
> > <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-
> > ee-8-high-performance>

> > > +1

> >:

> starting
> other
> > >

> > > --
> > > Daniel "soro" Cunha
> > > https://twitter.com/dvlc_

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

:

> I generally agree about not adding a microprofile profile. I'd be tempted
> to just add it to all the existing profiles. What would the size impact of

+1 for the full profile (which is likely an "all we can" for us) but rather
-0.9 for the WP which is a minimal distro and generally avoids potential
conflicts
with user code, if we do it by default a user can't put it in its app cause
it will create duplicates beans etc in current state.

> [...]

> > > classloader and not a particular location (should work in split
> > > distributions probably, thinking to /opt/tomee /opt/mp /opt/apps). Also
> > > think we shouldn't need it at all and just have an include (white) list
> > for
> > > container jars which are scannable (we have a flag for it, we should
> just
> > > make it configurable with an include/exclude properties and activate it
> > by
> > > default probably), wdyt?
> > > 2. due to 1 tomee-microprofile shouldn't exist I think (we keep the
> > > bundling in apache-tomee)
> > > 3. NOTICE references mojarra, is it an error?
> > > 4. do we bypass mp.war? (+1 from me)
> > > 5. open question - we can create another thread on this one: do we use
> > > tomee-maven-plugin to create our assemblies instead of copying 4 times

Hey Roberto

I'm getting a build error on your PR:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute
(execute-microprofile-installer) on project apache-tomee: Execution
execute-microprofile-installer of goal
org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute failed: src
'/Users/jgallimore/.m2/repository/org/apache/tomee/tomee-microprofile-webapp/7.0.5-SNAPSHOT/tomee-microprofile-webapp-7.0.5-SNAPSHOT.war'
doesn't exist. -> [Help 1]

Am I missing anything?

Cheers

Jon

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
>
> With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
> with the MicroProfile Config.
> Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
> implementations into it as well.
> Thanks!
> Cheers,Roberto

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Roberto Cortez

I'll check Jon.
Regarding profiles, my idea about a MP build was to also allow us to have a minimal binary with just the MP stuff. This mean removing specs that are not part of MP specs, like JPA. I guess this could be controversial, but it would allows us to have a very small footprint binary.
Roberto    On Monday, March 5, 2018, 4:24:22 PM GMT, Jonathan Gallimore <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hey Roberto

I'm getting a build error on your PR:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute
(execute-microprofile-installer) on project apache-tomee: Execution
execute-microprofile-installer of goal
org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute failed: src
'/Users/jgallimore/.m2/repository/org/apache/tomee/tomee-microprofile-webapp/7.0.5-SNAPSHOT/tomee-microprofile-webapp-7.0.5-SNAPSHOT.war'
doesn't exist. -> [Help 1]

Am I missing anything?

Cheers

Jon

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
>
> With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
> with the MicroProfile Config.
> Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
> implementations into it as well.
> Thanks!
> Cheers,Roberto

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

> I'll check Jon.
> Regarding profiles, my idea about a MP build was to also allow us to have
> a minimal binary with just the MP stuff. This mean removing specs that are
> not part of MP specs, like JPA. I guess this could be controversial, but it
> would allows us to have a very small footprint binary.

Not sure it does worth removing things from WP, we already have the
smallest footprint of EE servers so a few less meg will not ring much to
end users IMHO and it can be very tricky for bval or JTA for instance.

> Roberto    On Monday, March 5, 2018, 4:24:22 PM GMT, Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Hey Roberto
>
> I'm getting a build error on your PR:
>
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
> org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute
> (execute-microprofile-installer) on project apache-tomee: Execution
> execute-microprofile-installer of goal
> org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute failed: src
> '/Users/jgallimore/.m2/repository/org/apache/tomee/
> tomee-microprofile-webapp/7.0.5-SNAPSHOT/tomee-microprofile-
> webapp-7.0.5-SNAPSHOT.war'
> doesn't exist. -> [Help 1]
>
> Am I missing anything?
>
> Cheers
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Roberto Cortez
> <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
> >
> > With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
> > with the MicroProfile Config.
> > Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
> > implementations into it as well.
> > Thanks!
> > Cheers,Roberto

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

jgallimore
The name "MicroProfile" suggests an element of being small, so I'm not sure
why we'd only add this to our biggest distribution and no where else. I've
built the change (thanks for the help Roberto), and it adds <100KB to the
binary. I'd definitely add it to Plus and Plume, but I think we should
either add it web profile, or if we really don't want it in WebProfile, I
see no harm in an extra flavour that is webprofile + microprofile.

I agree that removing some of the stuff in webprofile such as JTA etc is
likely to be tricky, and I'm not sure we gain too much at the moment.

Jon

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

>> I'll check Jon.
>> Regarding profiles, my idea about a MP build was to also allow us to have
>> a minimal binary with just the MP stuff. This mean removing specs that are
>> not part of MP specs, like JPA. I guess this could be controversial, but it
>> would allows us to have a very small footprint binary.
>>

> Not sure it does worth removing things from WP, we already have the
> smallest footprint of EE servers so a few less meg will not ring much to
> end users IMHO and it can be very tricky for bval or JTA for instance.
>

>> Roberto    On Monday, March 5, 2018, 4:24:22 PM GMT, Jonathan Gallimore <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Hey Roberto
>>
>> I'm getting a build error on your PR:
>>
>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>> org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute
>> (execute-microprofile-installer) on project apache-tomee: Execution
>> execute-microprofile-installer of goal
>> org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute failed: src
>> '/Users/jgallimore/.m2/repository/org/apache/tomee/tomee-
>> microprofile-webapp/7.0.5-SNAPSHOT/tomee-microprofile-we
>> bapp-7.0.5-SNAPSHOT.war'
>> doesn't exist. -> [Help 1]
>>
>> Am I missing anything?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Roberto Cortez
>> <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
>> >
>> > With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
>> > with the MicroProfile Config.
>> > Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
>> > implementations into it as well.
>> > Thanks!
>> > Cheers,Roberto

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le 5 mars 2018 21:35, "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

The name "MicroProfile" suggests an element of being small, so I'm not sure
why we'd only add this to our biggest distribution and no where else. I've
built the change (thanks for the help Roberto), and it adds <100KB to the
binary. I'd definitely add it to Plus and Plume, but I think we should
either add it web profile, or if we really don't want it in WebProfile, I
see no harm in an extra flavour that is webprofile + microprofile.

Ok for plume and plus for me, please not to WP.

Open point: should it be switchable to off even if provided in case it
breaks apps?

I agree that removing some of the stuff in webprofile such as JTA etc is
likely to be tricky, and I'm not sure we gain too much at the moment.

Nothing IMHO. Did the exercise for a batch a few years ago - bundled as a
fatjar - and gained like 5M on somzthing like 30M with a way less tested
bundle at the end and more risk to add libs unproperly so previous proposal
is saner IMHO.

Jon

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

>> I'll check Jon.
>> Regarding profiles, my idea about a MP build was to also allow us to have
>> a minimal binary with just the MP stuff. This mean removing specs that are
>> not part of MP specs, like JPA. I guess this could be controversial, but it
>> would allows us to have a very small footprint binary.
>>

> Not sure it does worth removing things from WP, we already have the
> smallest footprint of EE servers so a few less meg will not ring much to
> end users IMHO and it can be very tricky for bval or JTA for instance.
>

>> Roberto    On Monday, March 5, 2018, 4:24:22 PM GMT, Jonathan Gallimore <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Hey Roberto
>>
>> I'm getting a build error on your PR:
>>
>> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
>> org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute
>> (execute-microprofile-installer) on project apache-tomee: Execution
>> execute-microprofile-installer of goal
>> org.codehaus.gmaven:groovy-maven-plugin:2.0:execute failed: src
>> '/Users/jgallimore/.m2/repository/org/apache/tomee/tomee-mic
>> roprofile-webapp/7.0.5-SNAPSHOT/tomee-microprofile-webapp-7.
>> 0.5-SNAPSHOT.war'
>> doesn't exist. -> [Help 1]
>>
>> Am I missing anything?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Roberto Cortez
>> <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > I've submitted a PR:https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/122
>> >
>> > With some initial work to build a MicroProfile dist of TomEE, starting
>> > with the MicroProfile Config.
>> > Please let me know if this is alright. I plan to add some of the other
>> > implementations into it as well.
>> > Thanks!
>> > Cheers,Roberto

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

jgallimore
On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 9:03 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Le 5 mars 2018 21:35, "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
> The name "MicroProfile" suggests an element of being small, so I'm not
> sure why we'd only add this to our biggest distribution and no where else.
> I've built the change (thanks for the help Roberto), and it adds <100KB to
> the binary. I'd definitely add it to Plus and Plume, but I think we should
> either add it web profile, or if we really don't want it in WebProfile, I
> see no harm in an extra flavour that is webprofile + microprofile.
>

> Ok for plume and plus for me, please not to WP.

Would you be ok with the MP profile then? Seems like reasonable middle
ground. Without that, folks who want "Micro"Profile features would be
forced to use the biggest flavours.

> Open point: should it be switchable to off even if provided in case it
> breaks apps?

I'm ok with that.

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Romain Manni-Bucau

wrote:

> Le 5 mars 2018 21:35, "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
> The name "MicroProfile" suggests an element of being small, so I'm not
> sure why we'd only add this to our biggest distribution and no where else.
> I've built the change (thanks for the help Roberto), and it adds <100KB to
> the binary. I'd definitely add it to Plus and Plume, but I think we should
> either add it web profile, or if we really don't want it in WebProfile, I
> see no harm in an extra flavour that is webprofile + microprofile.
>

> Ok for plume and plus for me, please not to WP.

Would you be ok with the MP profile then? Seems like reasonable middle
ground. Without that, folks who want "Micro"Profile features would be
forced to use the biggest flavours.

Yep, as mentionned no issue to have a new distro ;).

> Open point: should it be switchable to off even if provided in case it
> breaks apps?

I'm ok with that.

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Mark Struberg-2
Did we already solve the Java8 question?
Because if we add MP then you cannot build with Java7 anymore.

Lg strub

Mit autocorrect gesendet

> Am 05.03.2018 um 22:31 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> Le 5 mars 2018 22:07, "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 9:03 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> Le 5 mars 2018 21:35, "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>> The name "MicroProfile" suggests an element of being small, so I'm not
>> sure why we'd only add this to our biggest distribution and no where else.
>> I've built the change (thanks for the help Roberto), and it adds <100KB to
>> the binary. I'd definitely add it to Plus and Plume, but I think we should
>> either add it web profile, or if we really don't want it in WebProfile, I
>> see no harm in an extra flavour that is webprofile + microprofile.
>>

>> Ok for plume and plus for me, please not to WP.
>>

> Would you be ok with the MP profile then? Seems like reasonable middle
> ground. Without that, folks who want "Micro"Profile features would be
> forced to use the biggest flavours.
>

> Yep, as mentionned no issue to have a new distro ;).
>

>> Open point: should it be switchable to off even if provided in case it
>> breaks apps?
>>

> I'm ok with that.

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

> Did we already solve the Java8 question?

Nop but not a blocker for java 8

> Because if we add MP then you cannot build with Java7 anymore.

We fixed all the java8/7 build time incompatibilities so we can (now, agree
we need to ensure it is still the case but ATM we dont need buildchain to
do it).

> Lg strub
>
> Mit autocorrect gesendet
>
> > Am 05.03.2018 um 22:31 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >:
> >
> > Le 5 mars 2018 22:07, "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]>
> > écrit :
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 9:03 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> >

> >> Le 5 mars 2018 21:35, "Jonathan Gallimore" <
> [hidden email]>
> >> a écrit :
> >>
> >> The name "MicroProfile" suggests an element of being small, so I'm not
> >> sure why we'd only add this to our biggest distribution and no where
> else.
> >> I've built the change (thanks for the help Roberto), and it adds <100KB
> >> the binary. I'd definitely add it to Plus and Plume, but I think we
> should
> >> either add it web profile, or if we really don't want it in WebProfile,
> >> see no harm in an extra flavour that is webprofile + microprofile.
> >>

> >> Ok for plume and plus for me, please not to WP.
> >>

> > Would you be ok with the MP profile then? Seems like reasonable middle
> > ground. Without that, folks who want "Micro"Profile features would be
> > forced to use the biggest flavours.
> >

> > Yep, as mentionned no issue to have a new distro ;).
> >

> >> Open point: should it be switchable to off even if provided in case it
> >> breaks apps?
> >>

> > I'm ok with that.

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Mark Struberg-2
The point is: you cannot pass the mp TCKs with Java7 but only with Java8.

But if you run the release with Java8 then there is a high chance that the generated bytecode will not run on Java7 anymore.
So until we drop Java7 officially (and move to a TomEE-7.1.0 version) we have to run the release build on Java7.

That's why I suggested to only ship MP with TomEE8.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 06.03.2018 um 08:30 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:

>> Did we already solve the Java8 question?
>>

> Nop but not a blocker for java 8
>

>> Because if we add MP then you cannot build with Java7 anymore.
>>

> We fixed all the java8/7 build time incompatibilities so we can (now, agree
> we need to ensure it is still the case but ATM we dont need buildchain to
> do it).
>

>> Lg strub
>>
>> Mit autocorrect gesendet
>>
>>> Am 05.03.2018 um 22:31 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
>>> :
>>>
>>> Le 5 mars 2018 22:07, "Jonathan Gallimore" <[hidden email]>
>>> écrit :
>>>
>>> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 9:03 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>

>> [hidden email]>

>> else.
>> should

>>> Would you be ok with the MP profile then? Seems like reasonable middle
>>> ground. Without that, folks who want "Micro"Profile features would be
>>> forced to use the biggest flavours.
>>>

>>> Yep, as mentionned no issue to have a new distro ;).

>>> I'm ok with that.
>>>
>>> Jon

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

agumbrecht
+1, nice work Roberto

Thank you very much for taking the time to work on this.

I'd like to see this work merged asap if the build is good, as it is
really easy to continue to work on and improve on the code over time.

Andy.

--
Andy Gumbrecht
https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

Ubique

    --
    Andy Gumbrecht

    http://www.tomitribe.com
    agumbrecht@tomitribe.com
    https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

    TomEE treibt Tomitribe ! | http://tomee.apache.org

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

> The point is: you cannot pass the mp TCKs with Java7 but only with Java8.
>
> But if you run the release with Java8 then there is a high chance that the
> generated bytecode will not run on Java7 anymore.
> So until we drop Java7 officially (and move to a TomEE-7.1.0 version) we
> have to run the release build on Java7.

That is no more true today since we worked to make it possible cleaning up
bad typings but the point is highly valid.

> That's why I suggested to only ship MP with TomEE8.

+1

> LieGrue,
> strub
>

> > Am 06.03.2018 um 08:30 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >:

> >> Did we already solve the Java8 question?
> >>

> > Nop but not a blocker for java 8
> >

> >> Because if we add MP then you cannot build with Java7 anymore.
> >>

> > We fixed all the java8/7 build time incompatibilities so we can (now,
> agree
> > we need to ensure it is still the case but ATM we dont need buildchain to
> > do it).
> >

> >> Lg strub
> >>
> >> Mit autocorrect gesendet

> [hidden email]

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> else.
> <100KB
> >> should
> WebProfile,

Re: TomEE MicroProfile Dist with Config

Mark Struberg-2
Well, we did our best to not use types whose coercion lead to java8 method calls which are not available in a java7 rt.jar.

But the ONLY way you can _guarantee_ Java7 compatibility is to use a java7 rt.jar during the release build.
Everything else ended up being broken in some cases. You basically switch to 'JavaScript mode' where you will only blow up at runtime...

LieGrue,
strub

12