TomEE GraalVM native image

COURTAULT Francois
Hello everyone,

I am able to see some initiatives around GraalVM native-image like Quarkus, Helidon,...
I have also seen that Tomcat 9.0.26 could be built as a native image: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/graal.html

Digging on the web, I discover some work on TomEE side as well: https://github.com/tomitribe/graalvm-microprofile

Are you working on a TomEE version which can be built as a GraalVM native image ?
I think it should be a quite important topic to consider in the roadmap, right ?

Best Regards.

________________________________

Re: TomEE GraalVM native image

Roberto Cortez
Hi,

Let me clarify that this repo:
https://github.com/tomitribe/graalvm-microprofile <https://github.com/tomitribe/graalvm-microprofile>

Is just to play around with the polyglot features of GraalVM.

Building TomEE native images will be another story. I did try that when I was playing with the other repo and there are a lot of things that fail. This is not only about TomEE, but also about all the libraries used in TomEE itself.

To be able to build to native image, you would need to comply with Substrate VM limitations stated here:
https://github.com/oracle/graal/blob/master/substratevm/LIMITATIONS.md <https://github.com/oracle/graal/blob/master/substratevm/LIMITATIONS.md>

For instance, projects like Quarkus or Micronaut removed all reflection calls and resolve these at compile time rather than runtime. While it is possible to instruct GraalVM about some reflection usage when doing the native image, I believe it won’t be enough in TomEE case and most likely some portions would need to be reimplemented. I have no idea what would be the effort involved in a task like this. It is not trivial.

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 13 Nov 2019, at 12:55, Richard Monson-Haefel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> That would be cool. If memory serves there may be some issues with
> reflection and complication but running TomEE on GraalVM should work since
> it won't try to compile the reflection stuff.  I haven't run it on GraalVM
> myself, but this would be a really cool effort and if you can get it to
> work it would be an awesome addition to the project in my opinion.  Are you
> interested in testing it out and working on it?
>
> Richard
>
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 5:35 AM COURTAULT Francois <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am able to see some initiatives around GraalVM native-image like
>> Quarkus, Helidon,...
>> I have also seen that Tomcat 9.0.26 could be built as a native image:
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/graal.html
>>
>> Digging on the web, I discover some work on TomEE side as well:
>> https://github.com/tomitribe/graalvm-microprofile
>>
>> Are you working on a TomEE version which can be built as a GraalVM native
>> image ?
>> I think it should be a quite important topic to consider in the roadmap,
>> right ?
>>
>> Best Regards.
>>

>> ________________________________
>> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees
>> and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use or
>> disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
>> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for
>> the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended
>> recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
>> Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission
>> free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a
>> transmitted virus.
>>

> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE GraalVM native image

Richard Monson-Haefel
Thanks, Roberto!  So, compiling with it is probably not going to be a
priority, but running TomEE on it could be. I wonder if the
performance advantages of using GraalVM over JVM is significant.

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: TomEE GraalVM native image

Roberto Cortez
GraalVM in JVM mode is still Hotspot with the GraalVM JIT compiler.

I would say that you should run some performance tests before doing the switch. In same workloads Graal JIT compiler performs better, some other cases Hotspot JIT compiler is better.

> On 13 Nov 2019, at 15:14, Richard Monson-Haefel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Roberto!  So, compiling with it is probably not going to be a
> priority, but running TomEE on it could be. I wonder if the
> performance advantages of using GraalVM over JVM is significant.
>
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let me clarify that this repo:
>> https://github.com/tomitribe/graalvm-microprofile <
>> https://github.com/tomitribe/graalvm-microprofile>
>>
>> Is just to play around with the polyglot features of GraalVM.
>>
>> Building TomEE native images will be another story. I did try that when I
>> was playing with the other repo and there are a lot of things that fail.
>> This is not only about TomEE, but also about all the libraries used in
>> TomEE itself.
>>
>> To be able to build to native image, you would need to comply with
>> Substrate VM limitations stated here:
>> https://github.com/oracle/graal/blob/master/substratevm/LIMITATIONS.md <
>> https://github.com/oracle/graal/blob/master/substratevm/LIMITATIONS.md>
>>
>> For instance, projects like Quarkus or Micronaut removed all reflection
>> calls and resolve these at compile time rather than runtime. While it is
>> possible to instruct GraalVM about some reflection usage when doing the
>> native image, I believe it won’t be enough in TomEE case and most likely
>> some portions would need to be reimplemented. I have no idea what would be
>> the effort involved in a task like this. It is not trivial.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 13 Nov 2019, at 12:55, Richard Monson-Haefel <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> That would be cool. If memory serves there may be some issues with
>>> reflection and complication but running TomEE on GraalVM should work
>> since
>>> it won't try to compile the reflection stuff.  I haven't run it on
>> GraalVM
>>> myself, but this would be a really cool effort and if you can get it to
>>> work it would be an awesome addition to the project in my opinion.  Are
>> you
>>> interested in testing it out and working on it?
>>>
>>> Richard

>> native

>> for
>> intended
>>>>

>>> --
>>> Richard Monson-Haefel
>>> https://twitter.com/rmonson
>>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
>>

> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

RE: TomEE GraalVM native image

COURTAULT Francois
Hello Jonathan,

I would also consider, as the same priority level than Jakarta EE 8 compliancy, Micro Profile compliancy.
I hope that TomEE 8.0.1 will be MP 2.2... and TomEE 8.1.x MP 3.x (3.2 specification has just been released - 3 days ago)

Is it also the roadmap you or the community have in mind ?

Best Regards.

Re: TomEE GraalVM native image

jgallimore
If we're to roll an 8.0.1 any day now, its unlikely it'll have a
MicroProfile update, as there's a number of dependencies that get pulled in
for that functionality. We can release as often as we want/can, and there's
definitely changes since 8.0.0 that we need to get released, so I wouldn't
hold up 8.0.1 for MicroProfile updates, when we can release an 8.0.2 as
soon as those changes are in.

For clarification, I don't set the roadmap for the community. For me,
Jakarta EE 8 compliance is the priority. If others wish to work on GraalVM
or other functionality in parallel, that is cool with me. An unfortunate
reality, however, is that if everything has the same priority, effectively
you have no priorities. The danger is you'll wait longer for any of it to
show up. If GraalVM native images is your priority, I would strongly
encourage you to contribute to that work.

Jon

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 8:25 AM COURTAULT Francois <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Jonathan,
>
> I would also consider, as the same priority level than Jakarta EE 8
> compliancy, Micro Profile compliancy.
> I hope that TomEE 8.0.1 will be MP 2.2... and TomEE 8.1.x MP 3.x (3.2
> specification has just been released - 3 days ago)
>
> Is it also the roadmap you or the community have in mind ?
>
> Best Regards.

Zowalla, Richard
Hi Jon,

personally, I agree with your view: +1

Richard Z

[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics

Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied Sciences
Max-Planck-Str. 39
D-74081 Heilbronn
phone: +49 7131 504 6791

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

RE: TomEE GraalVM native image

Franos13

Hello everyone,

If I may, priorities by order, for projects developed in my company:

1.       MP 3.x

2.       Graal native image => sub-projects coordination to be compatible with GraalVM native image

3.       Jakarta EE 8.0  web + JMS 2.0 compliancy

Best Regards.