TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Hi everyone,

Following up some of our recent emails, I did push a snapshot version marked as RC of the upcoming TomEE 8 Release.

Please, find the binaries here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/>

And remember to add the following repository to your project:
<repositories>
  <repository>
    <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
    <name>Apache Development Snapshot Repository</name>
    <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
  </repository>
</repositories>

It should be very close to the actual release. Please, help up take it for a spin and try it out :) Thank you!

Cheers,
Roberto

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

David Blevins-2
I think the spirit behind this is great.  However, I don't think it actually helps as the hardest part which will be for you to learn the release process itself.  Time wise you should budget 3 weeks.  When you do know what you're doing the process usually takes 2 weeks minimum as there's almost always at least one aborted vote and reroll.  Given that, the chances of a release by CodeOne are already slim.

My advice would be to create a release branch and start cutting actual binaries in nexus.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Following up some of our recent emails, I did push a snapshot version marked as RC of the upcoming TomEE 8 Release.
>
> Please, find the binaries here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/>
>
> And remember to add the following repository to your project:
> <repositories>
>  <repository>
>    <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
>    <name>Apache Development Snapshot Repository</name>
>    <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
>  </repository>
> </repositories>
>
> It should be very close to the actual release. Please, help up take it for a spin and try it out :) Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Hi David,

Thank you.

I do intent to keep pushing with the release. Just doing “this” already had me going through some stuff, which Jon helped me out.

So consider it a first step :)

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 1 Oct 2018, at 19:28, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think the spirit behind this is great.  However, I don't think it actually helps as the hardest part which will be for you to learn the release process itself.  Time wise you should budget 3 weeks.  When you do know what you're doing the process usually takes 2 weeks minimum as there's almost always at least one aborted vote and reroll.  Given that, the chances of a release by CodeOne are already slim.
>
> My advice would be to create a release branch and start cutting actual binaries in nexus.
>
> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>
>> On Oct 1, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Following up some of our recent emails, I did push a snapshot version marked as RC of the upcoming TomEE 8 Release.
>>
>> Please, find the binaries here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/>
>>
>> And remember to add the following repository to your project:
>> <repositories>
>> <repository>
>>   <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
>>   <name>Apache Development Snapshot Repository</name>
>>   <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
>> </repository>
>> </repositories>
>>
>> It should be very close to the actual release. Please, help up take it for a spin and try it out :) Thank you!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

David Blevins-2
Awesome.  If you have a date in mind for the first release attempt, definitely let people know so they can complete anything they may want to get done.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

> On Oct 1, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you.
>
> I do intent to keep pushing with the release. Just doing “this” already had me going through some stuff, which Jon helped me out.
>
> So consider it a first step :)
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
>> On 1 Oct 2018, at 19:28, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think the spirit behind this is great.  However, I don't think it actually helps as the hardest part which will be for you to learn the release process itself.  Time wise you should budget 3 weeks.  When you do know what you're doing the process usually takes 2 weeks minimum as there's almost always at least one aborted vote and reroll.  Given that, the chances of a release by CodeOne are already slim.
>>
>> My advice would be to create a release branch and start cutting actual binaries in nexus.
>>
>> --
>> David Blevins
>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>
>>> On Oct 1, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Following up some of our recent emails, I did push a snapshot version marked as RC of the upcoming TomEE 8 Release.
>>>
>>> Please, find the binaries here:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/>
>>>
>>> And remember to add the following repository to your project:
>>> <repositories>
>>> <repository>
>>>  <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
>>>  <name>Apache Development Snapshot Repository</name>
>>>  <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
>>> </repository>
>>> </repositories>
>>>
>>> It should be very close to the actual release. Please, help up take it for a spin and try it out :) Thank you!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Roberto

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
I guess it would be ASAP :)

So if anyone wants to have anything in, now its the time. Speak now or forever hold your peace :)

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 2 Oct 2018, at 00:16, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Awesome.  If you have a date in mind for the first release attempt, definitely let people know so they can complete anything they may want to get done.
>

> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>
>> On Oct 1, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> I do intent to keep pushing with the release. Just doing “this” already had me going through some stuff, which Jon helped me out.
>>
>> So consider it a first step :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 1 Oct 2018, at 19:28, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the spirit behind this is great.  However, I don't think it actually helps as the hardest part which will be for you to learn the release process itself.  Time wise you should budget 3 weeks.  When you do know what you're doing the process usually takes 2 weeks minimum as there's almost always at least one aborted vote and reroll.  Given that, the chances of a release by CodeOne are already slim.
>>>
>>> My advice would be to create a release branch and start cutting actual binaries in nexus.
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Blevins
>>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Matthew Broadhead-2
should i try out the RC1 or wait for release candidate?  i guess they
will be the same unless something needs upgrading?

On 02/10/18 12:18, Roberto Cortez wrote:

> I guess it would be ASAP :)
>
> So if anyone wants to have anything in, now its the time. Speak now or forever hold your peace :)
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
>> On 2 Oct 2018, at 00:16, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Awesome.  If you have a date in mind for the first release attempt, definitely let people know so they can complete anything they may want to get done.
>>

>> --
>> David Blevins
>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>
>>> On Oct 1, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> I do intent to keep pushing with the release. Just doing “this” already had me going through some stuff, which Jon helped me out.
>>>
>>> So consider it a first step :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Roberto

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Hi Matthew,

Feel free to try it. Yes, no planned changes, unless something required fixing.

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 2 Oct 2018, at 16:37, Matthew Broadhead <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> should i try out the RC1 or wait for release candidate?  i guess they will be the same unless something needs upgrading?
>
> On 02/10/18 12:18, Roberto Cortez wrote:
>> I guess it would be ASAP :)
>>
>> So if anyone wants to have anything in, now its the time. Speak now or forever hold your peace :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 2 Oct 2018, at 00:16, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Awesome.  If you have a date in mind for the first release attempt, definitely let people know so they can complete anything they may want to get done.
>>>

>>> --
>>> David Blevins
>>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

César Hernández Mendoza
Hi everyone,

I have a simple REST app that is working fine with tomee.version  7.1.0, but tomee:run it's getting issues after updating it to 8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT and also update the javaee-api to 8.0-SNAPSHOT.
mvn test runs fine but when I try to run mvn clean install tomee:run I got a cxf error (I attached the full log file to this email).

03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.368 SEVERE [main] org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.InjectionUtils.reportServerError Method setApplication can not be accessed due to security manager restrictions
03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.378 SEVERE [main] org.apache.openejb.observer.ObserverManager$MethodInvocation.invoke error invoking org.apache.tomee.webservices.TomeeJaxRsService@7ea37dbf

Any idea why this is happening with the RC1?

El mar., 2 oct. 2018 a las 14:04, Roberto Cortez (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi Matthew,

Feel free to try it. Yes, no planned changes, unless something required fixing.

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 2 Oct 2018, at 16:37, Matthew Broadhead <[hidden email].uk.INVALID> wrote:
>
> should i try out the RC1 or wait for release candidate?  i guess they will be the same unless something needs upgrading?
>
> On 02/10/18 12:18, Roberto Cortez wrote:
>> I guess it would be ASAP :)
>>
>> So if anyone wants to have anything in, now its the time. Speak now or forever hold your peace :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 2 Oct 2018, at 00:16, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Awesome.  If you have a date in mind for the first release attempt, definitely let people know so they can complete anything they may want to get done.
>>>

>>> --
>>> David Blevins
>>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com

César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez

Not sure. Let me have a look.    On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 8:56:13 PM GMT+1, César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hi everyone,
I have a simple REST app that is working fine with tomee.version  7.1.0, but tomee:run it's getting issues after updating it to 8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT and also update the javaee-api to 8.0-SNAPSHOT.  mvn test runs fine but when I try to run mvn clean install tomee:run I got a cxf error (I attached the full log file to this email).
03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.368 SEVERE [main] org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.InjectionUtils.reportServerError Method setApplication can not be accessed due to security manager restrictions03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.378 SEVERE [main] org.apache.openejb.observer.ObserverManager$MethodInvocation.invoke error invoking org.apache.tomee.webservices.TomeeJaxRsService@7ea37dbf
Any idea why this is happening with the RC1?
El mar., 2 oct. 2018 a las 14:04, Roberto Cortez (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Hi Matthew,

Feel free to try it. Yes, no planned changes, unless something required fixing.

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 2 Oct 2018, at 16:37, Matthew Broadhead <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> should i try out the RC1 or wait for release candidate?  i guess they will be the same unless something needs upgrading?
>
> On 02/10/18 12:18, Roberto Cortez wrote:
>> I guess it would be ASAP :)
>>
>> So if anyone wants to have anything in, now its the time. Speak now or forever hold your peace :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 2 Oct 2018, at 00:16, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Awesome.  If you have a date in mind for the first release attempt, definitely let people know so they can complete anything they may want to get done.
>>>

>>> --
>>> David Blevins
>>> http://twitter.com/dblevins
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com

César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Hi Cesar,

I think I’ve found the issue. Just pushed a fix and now waiting to the build bot to check if everything is ok. I’ll let you know when it is done.

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 3 Oct 2018, at 22:50, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Not sure. Let me have a look.    On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 8:56:13 PM GMT+1, César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
> I have a simple REST app that is working fine with tomee.version  7.1.0, but tomee:run it's getting issues after updating it to 8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT and also update the javaee-api to 8.0-SNAPSHOT.  mvn test runs fine but when I try to run mvn clean install tomee:run I got a cxf error (I attached the full log file to this email).
> 03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.368 SEVERE [main] org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.InjectionUtils.reportServerError Method setApplication can not be accessed due to security manager restrictions03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.378 SEVERE [main] org.apache.openejb.observer.ObserverManager$MethodInvocation.invoke error invoking org.apache.tomee.webservices.TomeeJaxRsService@7ea37dbf
> Any idea why this is happening with the RC1?
> El mar., 2 oct. 2018 a las 14:04, Roberto Cortez (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Feel free to try it. Yes, no planned changes, unless something required fixing.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
>> On 2 Oct 2018, at 16:37, Matthew Broadhead <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> should i try out the RC1 or wait for release candidate?  i guess they will be the same unless something needs upgrading?
>>
>> On 02/10/18 12:18, Roberto Cortez wrote:
>>> I guess it would be ASAP :)
>>>
>>> So if anyone wants to have anything in, now its the time. Speak now or forever hold your peace :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Roberto

> --
> Atentamente:
> César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Romain Manni-Bucau
@Roberto: do we have a test to reproduce and prevent future regressions? If
your fix is right the error message is quite unexpected so it would be
better to ensure we don't break it unintentionnally (a side note is that
setting a single webapp context and firing an event for all webapps can
have the same pitfall so it can need to be reworked to ensure we don't hit
it for ears to not leak context between webapp which would be another nasty
bug).

Le jeu. 4 oct. 2018 à 01:43, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hi Cesar,
>
> I think I’ve found the issue. Just pushed a fix and now waiting to the
> build bot to check if everything is ok. I’ll let you know when it is done.
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 3 Oct 2018, at 22:50, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > Not sure. Let me have a look.    On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 8:56:13
> PM GMT+1, César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> > I have a simple REST app that is working fine with tomee.version  7.1.0,
> but tomee:run it's getting issues after updating it to 8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT
> and also update the javaee-api to 8.0-SNAPSHOT.  mvn test runs fine but
> when I try to run mvn clean install tomee:run I got a cxf error (I attached
> the full log file to this email).
> > 03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.368 SEVERE [main]
> org.apache.cxf.jaxrs.utils.InjectionUtils.reportServerError Method
> setApplication can not be accessed due to security manager
> restrictions03-Oct-2018 11:54:26.378 SEVERE [main]
> org.apache.openejb.observer.ObserverManager$MethodInvocation.invoke error
> invoking org.apache.tomee.webservices.TomeeJaxRsService@7ea37dbf
> > Any idea why this is happening with the RC1?
> > El mar., 2 oct. 2018 a las 14:04, Roberto Cortez
> (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
> >
> > Hi Matthew,
> >
> > Feel free to try it. Yes, no planned changes, unless something required
> fixing.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Roberto
> >
> >> On 2 Oct 2018, at 16:37, Matthew Broadhead <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> should i try out the RC1 or wait for release candidate?  i guess they
> will be the same unless something needs upgrading?

> forever hold your peace :)

> definitely let people know so they can complete anything they may want to
> get done.

> already had me going through some stuff, which Jon helped me out.

> actually helps as the hardest part which will be for you to learn the
> release process itself.  Time wise you should budget 3 weeks.  When you do
> know what you're doing the process usually takes 2 weeks minimum as there's
> almost always at least one aborted vote and reroll.  Given that, the
> chances of a release by CodeOne are already slim.

> actual binaries in nexus.

> version marked as RC of the upcoming TomEE 8 Release.

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
> <
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

> </url>

> take it for a spin and try it out :) Thank you!

> > --
> > Atentamente:
> > César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Hi Romain,

Well the exception being thrown is not the actual exception.

This was only happening in the MP binary due to the OpenAPI Geronimo implementation. In the DefaultLoader the ServletContext is injected, but at the time that the JAX-RS app is deployed, which is in the AfterApplicationCreated event, the ServletContextHandler does not have a Context anymore so it throws a IllegalStateException("Didnt find a web context for " + contextClassLoader). The caller for this is the setApplication of the OpenAPIFilter when we try to inject it, so that causes the exception we see in the logs.

We never say this in Arquillian testing, because Arquillian waits for the server to start and then deploys the app. This means we are able to get a ServletContext from the request in ServletContextHandler, so it works fine.

I believe this is also related with the fix you did here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1687 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1687>

What do you think?

Cheers,
Roberto

> [...]
>> get done.

>> already had me going through some stuff, which Jon helped me out.

>> actually helps as the hardest part which will be for you to learn the
>> release process itself.  Time wise you should budget 3 weeks.  When you do
>> know what you're doing the process usually takes 2 weeks minimum as there's
>> almost always at least one aborted vote and reroll.  Given that, the
>> chances of a release by CodeOne are already slim.

>> actual binaries in nexus.

>> version marked as RC of the upcoming TomEE 8 Release.

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
>> <
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

>> </url>

>> take it for a spin and try it out :) Thank you!

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le jeu. 4 oct. 2018 à 11:42, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hi Romain,
>
> Well the exception being thrown is not the actual exception.
>
> This was only happening in the MP binary due to the OpenAPI Geronimo
> implementation. In the DefaultLoader the ServletContext is injected, but at
> the time that the JAX-RS app is deployed, which is in the
> AfterApplicationCreated event, the ServletContextHandler does not have a
> Context anymore so it throws a IllegalStateException("Didnt find a web
> context for " + contextClassLoader). The caller for this is the
> setApplication of the OpenAPIFilter when we try to inject it, so that
> causes the exception we see in the logs.
>
> We never say this in Arquillian testing, because Arquillian waits for the
> server to start and then deploys the app. This means we are able to get a
> ServletContext from the request in ServletContextHandler, so it works fine.
>
> I believe this is also related with the fix you did here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1687 <
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1687>
>
> What do you think?

Can be but at the end the two issues are mentionned are not covered:

1. a regression will silently come back
2. for ears we can leak the servlet context if we end up here (and then the
app will wrongly behave)

My point is not to revert what you did but more to ensure it fixes the
issue in our build.

> [...]
> >> release process itself.  Time wise you should budget 3 weeks.  When you
> do
> >> know what you're doing the process usually takes 2 weeks minimum as
> there's
> >> almost always at least one aborted vote and reroll.  Given that, the
> >> chances of a release by CodeOne are already slim.

> >> actual binaries in nexus.

> >> version marked as RC of the upcoming TomEE 8 Release.

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
> >> <
> >>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots
> >> </url>

> >> take it for a spin and try it out :) Thank you!

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
I understand. Was just trying to give more detail into it.

I’ll have a better look and try to come up with some test scenarios.

> [...]
> app will wrongly behave)
>
> My point is not to revert what you did but more to ensure it fixes the
> issue in our build.
>

>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 4 Oct 2018, at 08:23, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> @Roberto: do we have a test to reproduce and prevent future regressions?
>> If
>>> your fix is right the error message is quite unexpected so it would be
>>> better to ensure we don't break it unintentionnally (a side note is that
>>> setting a single webapp context and firing an event for all webapps can
>>> have the same pitfall so it can need to be reworked to ensure we don't
>> hit
>>> it for ears to not leak context between webapp which would be another

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Would something like this work?
https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f <https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f>

I’m not exactly sure what the problem might be with EAR. Web Modules, seem to also be deployed like this, so they suffer from the same issue. After the JAX-RS app is started the context is removed.

Please let me know what other situations you have in mind that may cause issues?

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 4 Oct 2018, at 16:05, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I understand. Was just trying to give more detail into it.
>
> I’ll have a better look and try to come up with some test scenarios.
>
>> On 4 Oct 2018, at 10:47, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Le jeu. 4 oct. 2018 à 11:42, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> a
>> écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Romain,
>>>
>>> Well the exception being thrown is not the actual exception.
>>>
>>> This was only happening in the MP binary due to the OpenAPI Geronimo
>>> implementation. In the DefaultLoader the ServletContext is injected, but at
>>> the time that the JAX-RS app is deployed, which is in the
>>> AfterApplicationCreated event, the ServletContextHandler does not have a
>>> Context anymore so it throws a IllegalStateException("Didnt find a web
>>> context for " + contextClassLoader). The caller for this is the
>>> setApplication of the OpenAPIFilter when we try to inject it, so that
>>> causes the exception we see in the logs.
>>>
>>> We never say this in Arquillian testing, because Arquillian waits for the
>>> server to start and then deploys the app. This means we are able to get a
>>> ServletContext from the request in ServletContextHandler, so it works fine.
>>>
>>> I believe this is also related with the fix you did here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1687 <
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-1687>
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>

>> Can be but at the end the two issues are mentionned are not covered:
>>
>> 1. a regression will silently come back
>> 2. for ears we can leak the servlet context if we end up here (and then the
>> app will wrongly behave)
>>
>> My point is not to revert what you did but more to ensure it fixes the
>> issue in our build.
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Roberto

>>> If
>>> hit
>>> nasty

>>> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
>>> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance

>>> done.

>>> 7.1.0,
>>> 8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT
>>> attached
>>> error

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> or

>>> it
>>> do
>>> there's

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
>>>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le sam. 6 oct. 2018 00:30, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Would something like this work?
>
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f
> <
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f
> >

> I’m not exactly sure what the problem might be with EAR. Web Modules, seem
> to also be deployed like this, so they suffer from the same issue. After
> the JAX-RS app is started the context is removed.

You set a single context for all webapps so code is quite miskeading and
error prone.

> Please let me know what other situations you have in mind that may cause
> issues?
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 4 Oct 2018, at 16:05, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I understand. Was just trying to give more detail into it.
> >
> > I’ll have a better look and try to come up with some test scenarios.
> >
> >> On 4 Oct 2018, at 10:47, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Le jeu. 4 oct. 2018 à 11:42, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a

> but at

> the
> get a
> fine.

> >> Can be but at the end the two issues are mentionned are not covered:
> >>
> >> 1. a regression will silently come back
> >> 2. for ears we can leak the servlet context if we end up here (and then
> the
> >> app will wrongly behave)
> >>
> >> My point is not to revert what you did but more to ensure it fixes the
> >> issue in our build.

> regressions?
> that
> can

> <[hidden email]>

> the

> 8:56:13

> but

> required

> they

> now

> attempt,
> want

> [hidden email]>

> think
> you

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
> >>>>>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Ok, thanks. Can you help to better test it?

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 6 Oct 2018, at 08:26, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le sam. 6 oct. 2018 00:30, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Would something like this work?
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f
>> <
>> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f
>>>

>> I’m not exactly sure what the problem might be with EAR. Web Modules, seem
>> to also be deployed like this, so they suffer from the same issue. After
>> the JAX-RS app is started the context is removed.
>>

> You set a single context for all webapps so code is quite miskeading and
> error prone.
>

>> Please let me know what other situations you have in mind that may cause
>> issues?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 4 Oct 2018, at 16:05, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I understand. Was just trying to give more detail into it.
>>>
>>> I’ll have a better look and try to come up with some test scenarios.

>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a

>> but at

>> the
>> get a
>> fine.

>> the

>> regressions?
>> that
>> can

>> <[hidden email]>

>> the

>> 8:56:13

>> but

>> required

>> they

>> now

>> attempt,
>> want

>> [hidden email]>

>> think
>> you

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
>>>>>>>

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Romain Manni-Bucau
one option can be to start only one webapp here instead of all and hope
there is a single one or others are skipped ;)

Le lun. 8 oct. 2018 à 16:15, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Ok, thanks. Can you help to better test it?
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 6 Oct 2018, at 08:26, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Le sam. 6 oct. 2018 00:30, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
> > écrit :
> >
> >> Would something like this work?
> >>

> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f
> >> <
> >>
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f
> >>>

> >> I’m not exactly sure what the problem might be with EAR. Web Modules,
> seem
> >> to also be deployed like this, so they suffer from the same issue. After
> >> the JAX-RS app is started the context is removed.
> >>

> > You set a single context for all webapps so code is quite miskeading and
> > error prone.
> >

> >> Please let me know what other situations you have in mind that may cause
> >> issues?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Roberto

> <[hidden email]
> >> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a

> >> but at
> have
> web

> >> the
> >> get a
> >> fine.

> then
> >> the

> >> regressions?
> be
> >> that
> >> can
> don't
> another

> >> <[hidden email]>

> >> the
> is

> <[hidden email]

> >> 8:56:13

> >> but

> >> required

> >> they

> >> now

> [hidden email]>

> >> attempt,
> >> want

> “this”

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> think
> the
> >> you
> the

> cutting

> snapshot

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
> >>>>>>>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

> project:

> up

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

David Blevins-2
I shot a note out to bval asking of there's a chance of getting a release this week.

Assuming that's possible, is there anything standing in our way for putting up a release vote ourselves this week?

-David

> On Oct 8, 2018, at 8:28 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> one option can be to start only one webapp here instead of all and hope
> there is a single one or others are skipped ;)

> Le lun. 8 oct. 2018 à 16:15, Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Ok, thanks. Can you help to better test it?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>>> On 6 Oct 2018, at 08:26, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f
>>>>
>> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/ea13f63f21d7f06388e2c54d70120a5a98e4c65f

>> seem
>>>>

>>> You set a single context for all webapps so code is quite miskeading and
>>> error prone.

>> <[hidden email]

>> have
>> web

>> then

>> be
>> don't
>> another

>> is

>> <[hidden email]

>> [hidden email]>

>> “this”

>> the
>> the

>> cutting

>> snapshot

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/
>>>>>>>>>

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tomee/apache-tomee/8.0.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT/

>> project:

>> up

Re: TomEE 8 Release Preview

Roberto Cortez
Romain, you mean here:
https://github.com/radcortez/tomee/blob/426e0c14fede5ee5907e43e1c46e2fd51c904412/tomee/tomee-catalina/src/main/java/org/apache/tomee/catalina/TomcatWebAppBuilder.java#L1772-L1774? <https://github.com/radcortez/tomee/blob/426e0c14fede5ee5907e43e1c46e2fd51c904412/tomee/tomee-catalina/src/main/java/org/apache/tomee/catalina/TomcatWebAppBuilder.java#L1772-L1774?>

Well, why hope there is a single one? :) In case of EAR, shouldn’t all of them be started?

David,

After the RC release, we detected that issue with the MP binary and the way some implementations are accessing the context. I did sent a tentative fix, that fixes that issue, but Romain things that it may cause others, so we are trying to figure out what tests are we missing or if the code needs to change. You can help reviewing it as well.

Cheers,
Roberto

123