TomEE 8 M1 - MP

j4fm
I ran the tomee:8-jre-8.0.0-M1-microprofile Docker container.  Although TomEE
starts up just fine, I cannot access it because of the following error (I
don't think this is Docker specific).  If I move the Microprofile tracing
JARs out of the lib folder before start, then I can access TomEE fine.

404 Not Found

localhost logs:

02-Nov-2018 11:27:34.512 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart Exception starting
filter [opentracing]
 java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.geronimo.microprofile.opentracing.microprofile.server.OpenTracingFilter.init(OpenTracingFilter.java:57)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.initFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:270)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:251)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:102)

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: TomEE 8 M1 - MP

Roberto Cortez
Hi James,

You are deploying an app with it, right?

> On 2 Nov 2018, at 11:32, j4fm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I ran the tomee:8-jre-8.0.0-M1-microprofile Docker container.  Although TomEE
> starts up just fine, I cannot access it because of the following error (I
> don't think this is Docker specific).  If I move the Microprofile tracing
> JARs out of the lib folder before start, then I can access TomEE fine.
>
> 404 Not Found
>
> localhost logs:
>
> 02-Nov-2018 11:27:34.512 SEVERE [main]
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart Exception starting
> filter [opentracing]
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.microprofile.opentracing.microprofile.server.OpenTracingFilter.init(OpenTracingFilter.java:57)
>        at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.initFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:270)
>        at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:251)
>        at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:102)
>
> Thanks

> Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: TomEE 8 M1 - MP

j4fm
Tested with an app and without an app present.  Without an app, shouldn't I
still be able to reach the tomee status/manager pages?

If I remove MP opentracing jars, status/manager pages are reachable both
with and without an app.

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: TomEE 8 M1 - MP

Romain Manni-Bucau
The built-in apps should have a MP config entry with the
value geronimo.opentracing.filter.active=false, you can workaround it
adding in the exploded webapp a
WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/microprofile-config.properties with this value

Le lun. 5 nov. 2018 à 09:18, j4fm <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Tested with an app and without an app present.  Without an app, shouldn't I
> still be able to reach the tomee status/manager pages?
>
> If I remove MP opentracing jars, status/manager pages are reachable both
> with and without an app.
>
> Thanks

> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: TomEE 8 M1 - MP

j4fm
This post was updated on .
That works.  Is this something that will be made default and then an app can
enable when it wants to use opentracing?

I think this approach would be better than having to remember to disable it for every new app that doesn't expect to use tracing.  Especially if MP is added to Plus.

Thank you

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: TomEE 8 M1 - MP

Roberto Cortez
In the current state it is a bug.

It should be enabled by default, but the app should deploy properly and you should keep access to all the usual stuff: console, docs, etc.

I’ll open up an issue.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Roberto