TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Zowalla, Richard
Hi all,

a few days ago, I had a (virtual) coffee discussion with my colleguae
Martin W. about moving some of our research projects towards pure JUnit
5.

The missing thing: An openejb-junit module, which comes without a
transient compile dependency towards junit4.

Today, I had some time and implemented a first draft towards an
additional openejb-junit5 module, which does not depend on junit4
anymore.

The PR is open for discussion / review, see [1].

If someone has additional ideas, thoughts or improvements, I would be
very happy about them!

Gruss
Richard

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/759

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

Re: TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Zowalla, Richard
I went ahead with it and merged it. This shouldn't influence anything
on the master as it is just a new module.

However, it enables some of our users to upgrade their legacy testing
(without application composer or arquillian) environments to pure
junit5.

Gruss
Richard

--
Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics

Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied Sciences
Max-Planck-Str. 39
D-74081 Heilbronn
phone: +49 7131 504 6791
mail: [hidden email]
web: https://www.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

Re: TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Cesar Hernandez
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the PR and context provided.
We now have back the Jenkins job on master at demand, I left yesterday a
build[1] and after 6 hours we got 4 tests[2] but as far as I can see they
are not related to this new extension module :).

[1] https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/TomEE/job/master-build-full/72/
[2]
org.apache.ziplock.maven.MvnTest.main
org.apache.ziplock.maven.MvnTest.test
org.superbiz.mvc.MvcTest.org.superbiz.mvc.MvcTest
org.superbiz.mvc.MvcTest.org.superbiz.mvc.MvcTest

El lun, 1 feb 2021 a las 3:12, Zowalla, Richard (<
[hidden email]>) escribió:

> I went ahead with it and merged it. This shouldn't influence anything
> on the master as it is just a new module.
>
> However, it enables some of our users to upgrade their legacy testing
> (without application composer or arquillian) environments to pure
> junit5.
>
> Gruss
> Richard
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 27.01.2021, 17:25 +0000 schrieb Zowalla, Richard:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > a few days ago, I had a (virtual) coffee discussion with my colleguae
> > Martin W. about moving some of our research projects towards pure
> > JUnit
> > 5.
> >
> > The missing thing: An openejb-junit module, which comes without a
> > transient compile dependency towards junit4.
> >
> > Today, I had some time and implemented a first draft towards an
> > additional openejb-junit5 module, which does not depend on junit4
> > anymore.
> >
> > The PR is open for discussion / review, see [1].
> >
> > If someone has additional ideas, thoughts or improvements, I would be
> > very happy about them!
> >
> > Gruss
> > Richard
> >

> > [1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/759
> --
> Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
> Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics
>
> Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied Sciences
> Max-Planck-Str. 39
> D-74081 Heilbronn
> phone: +49 7131 504 6791
> mail: [hidden email]
> web: https://www.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/

César Hernández.

AW: TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Zowalla, Richard
Hi Cesar,

it seems, that the master build is fine again. The last run did succeed, so I guess the tests failed with some sort of race condition. They even work locally. Might bei Jenkins / CI related?

César Hernández.

Re: TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Cesar Hernandez

> They even work locally. Might bei Jenkins / CI related?

It could be, I've been also following up with an issue on the Jenkins Job
we have for Pull request.

My proposal would be to start migrating the jobs to Jenkins pipelines so we
can have a better way to collaborate in the jobs configuration.

César Hernández.

AW: TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Zowalla, Richard
Hi Cesar,

would be very much appreciated, I guess.

I noticed, that the PR jenkins job shows a different behaviour compared to the master job in terms of reproducability.
In general, we should have a deeper look at the config to make the CI behave more robust.

Gruss
Richard
--
Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Medizinische Informatik
Hochschule Heilbronn
Max-Planck-Str. 39
D-74081 Heilbronn

[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Hi Cesar,
>
> it seems, that the master build is fine again. The last run did succeed,
> so I guess the tests failed with some sort of race condition. They even
> work locally. Might bei Jenkins / CI related?
>
> Gruss
> Richard

César Hernández.

Re: TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
I agree.
Would be awesome to have something more stable. It's better than it was.
But still some work to do.

Le ven. 5 févr. 2021 à 19:55, Zowalla, Richard <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Cesar,
>
> would be very much appreciated, I guess.
>
> I noticed, that the PR jenkins job shows a different behaviour compared to
> the master job in terms of reproducability.
> In general, we should have a deeper look at the config to make the CI
> behave more robust.
>
> Gruss
> Richard
> --
> Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
> Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
>
> Medizinische Informatik
> Hochschule Heilbronn
> Max-Planck-Str. 39
> D-74081 Heilbronn

As a follow-up, I identified that the space in the "Pull Request" Jenkins
job name may have been the issue on the failing test [1] we have been
seeing in PR's results.

I made local tests for tomee/examples/webservice-ssl-client-cert and I just
renamed the job and trigger a rebuild:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/TomEE/job/pull-request/
If this fixes the issue we can also scape quotes in the Keystore and key
generation that occurs during the integration between the ant run and shell
script generateKeyPair.bat and generateServerKey.bat. But let's see first
the result we get.

[1]
..
/home/jenkins/jenkins-agent/workspace/Tomee/*Pull Requests*
/examples/webservice-ssl-client-cert/target/classes
..
do.sun.jdk:
     [echo] *** Running on a Sun JDK ***
     [echo] generate server keys
     [java] Illegal option:*
 Requests/examples/webservice-ssl-client-cert/target/serverStore.jks*
     [java] keytool -genkeypair [OPTION]...

César Hernández.

Re: TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module - Any thoughts?

Zowalla, Richard
Hi Cesar,

very good finding!

The latest PR build is green.