The road to TomEE 8

Mark Struberg-2
Hi folks!

I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
There are a lot of components which are ready to go.

And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries to play with.

I imagine to have 2 goals:

1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified, we can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that we are not yet fully EE8.

2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to 8.1.

The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.

Wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

jgallimore
I'm ok with this - we do still have some Java EE 7 work and maintenance
going on, so I would want a branch for that at least. I think a tomee-7.x
branch for EE7 and master being used for Java EE 8 could work.

I like the 8.0 and 8.1 version numbers you propose. We just need to make
that clear in the docs and on the download page.

Jon

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
> There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
>
> And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries to
> play with.
>
> I imagine to have 2 goals:
>
> 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
> It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
> We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified, we
> can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that we
> are not yet fully EE8.
>
> 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to 8.1.
>
> The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with
> doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push
> releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
>

> Wdyt?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Mark Struberg-2
In GIT it's pretty easy to just rename the branches. They are nothing more than name refs to different HEADs.

So it's perfectly fine to to the EE8 work in a branch for now and just move it over if we feel fit.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 08.08.2017 um 22:07 schrieb Jonathan Gallimore <[hidden email]>:
>
> I'm ok with this - we do still have some Java EE 7 work and maintenance
> going on, so I would want a branch for that at least. I think a tomee-7.x
> branch for EE7 and master being used for Java EE 8 could work.
>
> I like the 8.0 and 8.1 version numbers you propose. We just need to make
> that clear in the docs and on the download page.
>
> Jon
>
> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
>> There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
>>
>> And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries to
>> play with.
>>
>> I imagine to have 2 goals:
>>
>> 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
>> It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
>> We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified, we
>> can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that we
>> are not yet fully EE8.
>>
>> 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to 8.1.
>>
>> The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with
>> doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push
>> releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
>>

>> Wdyt?
>>
>> LieGrue,
>> strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Hi Mark,

That sounds good.
+1

Jean-Louis

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
> There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
>
> And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries to
> play with.
>
> I imagine to have 2 goals:
>
> 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
> It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
> We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified, we
> can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that we
> are not yet fully EE8.
>
> 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to 8.1.
>
> The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with
> doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push
> releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
>

> Wdyt?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Romain Manni-Bucau
+1 and no need of 8.0/8.1 branch for now IMHO.

Le 8 août 2017 22:21, "Jean-Louis Monteiro" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hi Mark,
>
> That sounds good.
> +1
>
> Jean-Louis
>
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>
> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
> > There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
> >
> > And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries
> > play with.
> >
> > I imagine to have 2 goals:
> >
> > 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
> > It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
> > We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified,
> we
> > can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that we
> > are not yet fully EE8.
> >
> > 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to
> 8.1.
> >
> > The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with
> > doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push
> > releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
> >

> > Wdyt?
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Mark Struberg-2
I'd not do a branch for 8.1

Just now do a tomee8 branch starting with 8.0.0-SNAPSHOT
And once we have some progress move it to master.

Then if we have all EE8 specs finished we propagate it to 8.1.0
Makes sense?

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 08.08.2017 um 23:09 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> +1 and no need of 8.0/8.1 branch for now IMHO.
>
> Le 8 août 2017 22:21, "Jean-Louis Monteiro" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> That sounds good.
>> +1
>>
>> Jean-Louis
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Louis Monteiro
>> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
>>> There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
>>>
>>> And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries
>>> play with.
>>>
>>> I imagine to have 2 goals:
>>>
>>> 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
>>> It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
>>> We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified,
>> we
>>> can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that we
>>> are not yet fully EE8.
>>>
>>> 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to
>> 8.1.
>>>
>>> The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with
>>> doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push
>>> releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
>>>

>>> Wdyt?
>>>
>>> LieGrue,
>>> strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le 9 août 2017 01:17, "Mark Struberg" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I'd not do a branch for 8.1

Just now do a tomee8 branch starting with 8.0.0-SNAPSHOT
And once we have some progress move it to master.

Then if we have all EE8 specs finished we propagate it to 8.1.0
Makes sense?

Well we can go with 8.0.x when finished since for users - and versioning -
it doesnt change much.

Anyway it can move to master directly if you branch 7.x before

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 08.08.2017 um 23:09 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> +1 and no need of 8.0/8.1 branch for now IMHO.
>
> Le 8 août 2017 22:21, "Jean-Louis Monteiro" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> That sounds good.
>> +1
>>
>> Jean-Louis
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Louis Monteiro
>> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
>>> There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
>>>
>>> And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries
>>> play with.
>>>
>>> I imagine to have 2 goals:
>>>
>>> 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
>>> It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
>>> We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified,
>> we
>>> can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that
we

>>> are not yet fully EE8.
>>>
>>> 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to
>> 8.1.
>>>
>>> The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with
>>> doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push
>>> releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
>>>

>>> Wdyt?
>>>
>>> LieGrue,
>>> strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Mark Struberg-2
The difference is in the marketing and how we can describe it.

We can claim that TomEE 8.0.x is production ready, but we cannot claim that we implement EE 8 until we got all parts.
And then when moving to 8.1 we can make rumble again.

But true, apart from probably 1 lib there won't be much difference to the latest 8.0.x version - it's just the perception from a user perspective which makes a HUGE difference ;)

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 09.08.2017 um 07:09 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>

> Well we can go with 8.0.x when finished since for users - and versioning -
> it doesnt change much.

Re: The road to TomEE 8

> The difference is in the marketing and how we can describe it.
>
> We can claim that TomEE 8.0.x is production ready, but we cannot claim
> that we implement EE 8 until we got all parts.
> And then when moving to 8.1 we can make rumble again.
>
> But true, apart from probably 1 lib there won't be much difference to the
> latest 8.0.x version - it's just the perception from a user perspective
> which makes a HUGE difference ;)

Maybe let's postpone this discussion until it becomes "possible" if you get
what I mean ;)

> LieGrue,
> strub
>
> > Am 09.08.2017 um 07:09 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >:
> >

> > Well we can go with 8.0.x when finished since for users - and versioning
> -
> > it doesnt change much.

Re: The road to TomEE 8

I’m happy to see is get started with 8.0.0-SNAPSHOT now in a tomee8 branch.

As for 8.1, slight preference to delay that decision until we have some insight as to what things look like compliance-wise.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 12:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks!
>
> I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
> There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
>
> And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries to play with.
>
> I imagine to have 2 goals:
>
> 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
> It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
> We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified, we can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that we are not yet fully EE8.
>
> 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to 8.1.
>
> The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
>

> Wdyt?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Sounds reasonable to me

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:34 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I’m happy to see is get started with 8.0.0-SNAPSHOT now in a tomee8 branch.
>
> As for 8.1, slight preference to delay that decision until we have some
> insight as to what things look like compliance-wise.
>

> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>
> > On Aug 8, 2017, at 12:20 PM, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > I'd love to start the tomee8 branch.
> > There are a lot of components which are ready to go.
> >
> > And I also had an idea about how we could very eagerly publish binaries
> to play with.
> >
> > I imagine to have 2 goals:
> >
> > 1.) TomEE-8.0: this will be the 'development train'.
> > It will contain JavaEE8 parts (mostly) and some JavaEE 7 parts still.
> > We do not need to wait until we are fully EE8 compatible and certified,
> we can just go on and publish this stuff as long as we CLEARLY state that
> we are not yet fully EE8.
> >
> > 2.) TomEE-8.1: once we reach full EE8 compatibility we switch over to
> 8.1.
> >
> > The main benefit of this approach is that we do not need to wait with
> doing a release until all the features are EE8 but we can eagerly push
> releases which are perfectly fine for people to use already.
> >

> > Wdyt?
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub

Re: The road to TomEE 8

Mark Struberg-2
Perfectly fine.
All I want to ensure is that we do not need to wait until we have really all parts.
We should be able to do Tomee8 releases even before. And that is imo only possible if we communicate clearly what is in there.

LieGrue,
strub