The EE8 Roadmap

Mark Struberg-2
Hi folks!

Behind the scene there was a lot of work done towards EE8.
Not directly in TomEE, but in most parts which are needed

* Tomcat 9 for Servlet 4.0 - While the final API is not yet ready we already have many public Milestone builds

* OpenWebBeans-2.0.x for CDI 2.0 - We already implemented most of the new features and are down to 35 failing TCK tests (out of 1300). Might take us 2 more weeks to finish, but we are already very close

* BVal - Matt Benson is working like wild for implementing the new spec changes. Once OWB is finished Romain and I will join the effort with more power. Others are welcome to help of course!

* Johnzon for JSON-P 1.1 and JSON-B 1.0: 1.1.1 is currently being released. Works like a charm!

* MyFaces - gonna need to check the latest status, but I think Leo has already implemented most things

* OpenJPA - lags a bit behind, but there have been no changes so far in JPA for EE8 anyway

* Geronimo - we have quite a few new spec versions to be released. Most are already implemented and just need to get released once the specs go final and we can compare our signatures with the ones from the official artifacts.

How to name the baby? TomEE-8.0.0 seems quite natural to me, wdyt?

When to branch away from trunk?
After OWB is finished?

C'mon, tell me what you think, lords and ladies!

LieGrue,
strub

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

> Hi folks!
>
> Behind the scene there was a lot of work done towards EE8.
> Not directly in TomEE, but in most parts which are needed
>
> * Tomcat 9 for Servlet 4.0 - While the final API is not yet ready we
> already have many public Milestone builds
>
> * OpenWebBeans-2.0.x for CDI 2.0 - We already implemented most of the new
> features and are down to 35 failing TCK tests (out of 1300). Might take us
> 2 more weeks to finish, but we are already very close
>
> * BVal - Matt Benson is working like wild for implementing the new spec
> changes. Once OWB is finished Romain and I will join the effort with more
> power. Others are welcome to help of course!
>
> * Johnzon for JSON-P 1.1 and JSON-B 1.0: 1.1.1 is currently being
> released. Works like a charm!
>
> * MyFaces - gonna need to check the latest status, but I think Leo has
> already implemented most things
>
> * OpenJPA - lags a bit behind, but there have been no changes so far in
> JPA for EE8 anyway
>
> * Geronimo - we have quite a few new spec versions to be released. Most
> are already implemented and just need to get released once the specs go
> final and we can compare our signatures with the ones from the official
> artifacts.
>

> How to name the baby? TomEE-8.0.0 seems quite natural to me, wdyt?

Well no real choice we moved to 7 recently with this engagement for at
least a moment.

> When to branch away from trunk?

When at least OWB is fully ready I'd say and 7.0.4 out, can do it soon if
it helps

> After OWB is finished?

Hehe seems we agree ;)

> C'mon, tell me what you think, lords and ladies!
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Wow, great status Mark.
Thanks a lot.

Yes, agree, TomEE 8.x seems to be the de facto choice based on what the
community decided last time.
Even though the time is missing I'd like to help somehow and join the
effort.

I'll shoot when I have some time.

Cheers.

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

> > Hi folks!
> >
> > Behind the scene there was a lot of work done towards EE8.
> > Not directly in TomEE, but in most parts which are needed
> >
> > * Tomcat 9 for Servlet 4.0 - While the final API is not yet ready we
> > already have many public Milestone builds
> >
> > * OpenWebBeans-2.0.x for CDI 2.0 - We already implemented most of the new
> > features and are down to 35 failing TCK tests (out of 1300). Might take
> us
> > 2 more weeks to finish, but we are already very close
> >
> > * BVal - Matt Benson is working like wild for implementing the new spec
> > changes. Once OWB is finished Romain and I will join the effort with more
> > power. Others are welcome to help of course!
> >
> > * Johnzon for JSON-P 1.1 and JSON-B 1.0: 1.1.1 is currently being
> > released. Works like a charm!
> >
> > * MyFaces - gonna need to check the latest status, but I think Leo has
> > already implemented most things
> >
> > * OpenJPA - lags a bit behind, but there have been no changes so far in
> > JPA for EE8 anyway
> >
> > * Geronimo - we have quite a few new spec versions to be released. Most
> > are already implemented and just need to get released once the specs go
> > final and we can compare our signatures with the ones from the official
> > artifacts.
> >

> > How to name the baby? TomEE-8.0.0 seems quite natural to me, wdyt?
> >

> Well no real choice we moved to 7 recently with this engagement for at
> least a moment.
>

> > When to branch away from trunk?
> >

> When at least OWB is fully ready I'd say and 7.0.4 out, can do it soon if
> it helps
>

> > After OWB is finished?
> >

> Hehe seems we agree ;)
>

> > C'mon, tell me what you think, lords and ladies!
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

Mark Struberg-2
FYI, With help from Romain, Reinhard Sandtner, Gerhard Petracek and John Ament,  Apache OpenWebBeans now passes the CDI-2.0 TCK!

The next step is to do a bit more testing, release the missing Geronimo spec APIs and then we are good to go for rolling TomEE-8.0.0 ^^

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 05.06.2017 um 12:59 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro <[hidden email]>:
>
> Wow, great status Mark.
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Yes, agree, TomEE 8.x seems to be the de facto choice based on what the
> community decided last time.
> Even though the time is missing I'd like to help somehow and join the
> effort.
>
> I'll shoot when I have some time.
>
> Cheers.
>

> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>

>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> Behind the scene there was a lot of work done towards EE8.
>>> Not directly in TomEE, but in most parts which are needed
>>>
>>> * Tomcat 9 for Servlet 4.0 - While the final API is not yet ready we
>>> already have many public Milestone builds
>>>
>>> * OpenWebBeans-2.0.x for CDI 2.0 - We already implemented most of the new
>>> features and are down to 35 failing TCK tests (out of 1300). Might take
>> us
>>> 2 more weeks to finish, but we are already very close
>>>
>>> * BVal - Matt Benson is working like wild for implementing the new spec
>>> changes. Once OWB is finished Romain and I will join the effort with more
>>> power. Others are welcome to help of course!
>>>
>>> * Johnzon for JSON-P 1.1 and JSON-B 1.0: 1.1.1 is currently being
>>> released. Works like a charm!
>>>
>>> * MyFaces - gonna need to check the latest status, but I think Leo has
>>> already implemented most things
>>>
>>> * OpenJPA - lags a bit behind, but there have been no changes so far in
>>> JPA for EE8 anyway
>>>
>>> * Geronimo - we have quite a few new spec versions to be released. Most
>>> are already implemented and just need to get released once the specs go
>>> final and we can compare our signatures with the ones from the official
>>> artifacts.
>>>

>>> How to name the baby? TomEE-8.0.0 seems quite natural to me, wdyt?
>>>

>> Well no real choice we moved to 7 recently with this engagement for at
>> least a moment.
>>

>>> When to branch away from trunk?
>>>

>> When at least OWB is fully ready I'd say and 7.0.4 out, can do it soon if
>> it helps
>>

>>> After OWB is finished?
>>>

>> Hehe seems we agree ;)
>>

>>> C'mon, tell me what you think, lords and ladies!
>>>
>>> LieGrue,
>>> strub

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

Rudy De Busscher
Great news

What are the plans for the Security API?  It will also be included in the
Web Profile.

I can help with the implementation if you like.

Best regards
Rudy

On 17 June 2017 at 21:57, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI, With help from Romain, Reinhard Sandtner, Gerhard Petracek and John
> Ament,  Apache OpenWebBeans now passes the CDI-2.0 TCK!
>
> The next step is to do a bit more testing, release the missing Geronimo
> spec APIs and then we are good to go for rolling TomEE-8.0.0 ^^
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

> > Am 05.06.2017 um 12:59 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > Wow, great status Mark.
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Yes, agree, TomEE 8.x seems to be the de facto choice based on what the
> > community decided last time.
> > Even though the time is missing I'd like to help somehow and join the
> > effort.
> >
> > I'll shoot when I have some time.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >

> > --
> > Jean-Louis Monteiro
> > http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> > http://www.tomitribe.com
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <

> new
> >> us

> more

> >> Well no real choice we moved to 7 recently with this engagement for at
> >> least a moment.

> >> When at least OWB is fully ready I'd say and 7.0.4 out, can do it soon
> if
> >> it helps

> >> Hehe seems we agree ;)

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

Mark Struberg-2
Well, that would be way cool!

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 18.06.2017 um 11:54 schrieb Rudy De Busscher <[hidden email]>:
>
> Great news
>
> What are the plans for the Security API?  It will also be included in the
> Web Profile.
>
> I can help with the implementation if you like.
>
> Best regards
> Rudy
>

> On 17 June 2017 at 21:57, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> FYI, With help from Romain, Reinhard Sandtner, Gerhard Petracek and John
>> Ament,  Apache OpenWebBeans now passes the CDI-2.0 TCK!
>>
>> The next step is to do a bit more testing, release the missing Geronimo
>> spec APIs and then we are good to go for rolling TomEE-8.0.0 ^^
>>
>> LieGrue,
>> strub
>>

>>> Am 05.06.2017 um 12:59 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Wow, great status Mark.
>>> Thanks a lot.
>>>
>>> Yes, agree, TomEE 8.x seems to be the de facto choice based on what the
>>> community decided last time.
>>> Even though the time is missing I'd like to help somehow and join the
>>> effort.
>>>
>>> I'll shoot when I have some time.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Jean-Louis Monteiro
>>> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>

>> new

>> more

>> if

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

Romain Manni-Bucau
first step would probably be to create an incubator project to impl the spec

> Well, that would be way cool!
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

> > Am 18.06.2017 um 11:54 schrieb Rudy De Busscher <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Great news
> >
> > What are the plans for the Security API?  It will also be included in the
> > Web Profile.
> >
> > I can help with the implementation if you like.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Rudy
> >

> > On 17 June 2017 at 21:57, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> FYI, With help from Romain, Reinhard Sandtner, Gerhard Petracek and John
> >> Ament,  Apache OpenWebBeans now passes the CDI-2.0 TCK!
> >>
> >> The next step is to do a bit more testing, release the missing Geronimo
> >> spec APIs and then we are good to go for rolling TomEE-8.0.0 ^^
> >>
> >> LieGrue,
> >> strub

> >> [hidden email]>

> >> new
> take

> spec
> >> more

> has

> in

> Most
> go
> official

> >> if

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

Mark Struberg-2
Or a subproject somewhere if we create it from scratch and don't take over any existing sources where the IP is not 100% guaranteed to be clear.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 18.06.2017 um 16:01 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>:
>
> first step would probably be to create an incubator project to impl the spec

>> Well, that would be way cool!
>>
>> LieGrue,
>> strub
>>

>>> Am 18.06.2017 um 11:54 schrieb Rudy De Busscher <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Great news
>>>
>>> What are the plans for the Security API?  It will also be included in the
>>> Web Profile.
>>>
>>> I can help with the implementation if you like.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Rudy

>> take

>> spec

>> has

>> in

>> Most
>> go
>> official

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

John D. Ament-2
I think it would be great to start a project in any form for the security
spec.

John

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:35 AM Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Or a subproject somewhere if we create it from scratch and don't take over
> any existing sources where the IP is not 100% guaranteed to be clear.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

> > Am 18.06.2017 um 16:01 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >:
> >
> > first step would probably be to create an incubator project to impl the
> spec

> > <https://blog-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com> | Old Blog
> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | JavaEE Factory

> >> Well, that would be way cool!
> >>
> >> LieGrue,
> >> strub

> >:

> the

> John

> Geronimo

> the

> >:

> we

> the
> >> take

> >> spec
> with

> >> has

> far
> >> in

> >> Most
> specs
> >> go
> >> official

> at

> soon

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

Romain Manni-Bucau
mvc too is under radar, think cxf is a good fit but myfaces can be good too
since we have web experts here

> I think it would be great to start a project in any form for the security
> spec.
>
> John
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 11:35 AM Mark Struberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Or a subproject somewhere if we create it from scratch and don't take
> over
> > any existing sources where the IP is not 100% guaranteed to be clear.
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub
> >

> > > Am 18.06.2017 um 16:01 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]
> > >:
> > >
> > > first step would probably be to create an incubator project to impl the
> > spec
> > >

> > > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > > @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> > > <https://blog-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com> | Old Blog
> > https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | JavaEE Factory
> > > <https://javaeefactory-rmannibucau.rhcloud.com>

> [hidden email]
> > >:

> > the

> > John

> > Geronimo

> > the
> the

> <[hidden email]
> > >:

> > we

> > the
> Might

> new
> > with

> Leo

> > far

> released.
> > specs

> wdyt?

> for
> > at

> > soon

Re: The EE8 Roadmap

agumbrecht
+1 for TomEE 8, when it's time - I'm sure that was what we agreed when we
made the move to TomEE 7, the major version stays inline with the EE
version. Makes it pretty clear.

Andy.

--
  Andy Gumbrecht