TOMEE-2958 TOMEE-2959 Tomcat and jackson update

TOMEE-2958 TOMEE-2959 Tomcat and jackson update

Cesar Hernandez
Hi all,

I created the following JIRAS and also a PR is now available for review:

Update to Tomcat 8.5.61

Update to jackson 2.12.0

PR: https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/728
César Hernández.

Re: TOMEE-2958 TOMEE-2959 Tomcat and jackson update

Alex The Rocker
Hello,

Why is Jackson embedded in TomEE, while we have Johnzon providing both
JSON-P & JSON-B ?
Isn't it making TomEE fatter than needed, not mentioning double
maintenance/updating efforts ?

Kind regards,
Alexandre

Le lun. 18 janv. 2021 à 22:55, Cesar Hernandez <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I created the following JIRAS and also a PR is now available for review:
>
> Update to Tomcat 8.5.61
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2958
>
> Update to jackson 2.12.0
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2959
>
> PR: https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/728
> Atentamente:
> César Hernández.

Re: TOMEE-2958 TOMEE-2959 Tomcat and jackson update

jgallimore
Its a dependency bought in by ActiveMQ. I'm happy to look at what it'll
take to use Johnzon, but if memory serves me correctly, last time I looked,
it wasn't trivial. I agree that we should work towards that goal though.

Jon

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:33 PM Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Why is Jackson embedded in TomEE, while we have Johnzon providing both
> JSON-P & JSON-B ?
> Isn't it making TomEE fatter than needed, not mentioning double
> maintenance/updating efforts ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Alexandre
>
> Le lun. 18 janv. 2021 à 22:55, Cesar Hernandez <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I created the following JIRAS and also a PR is now available for review:
> >
> > Update to Tomcat 8.5.61
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2958
> >
> > Update to jackson 2.12.0
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2959
> >
> > PR: https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/728
> > --
> > Atentamente:
> > César Hernández.

Re: TOMEE-2958 TOMEE-2959 Tomcat and jackson update

Zowalla, Richard
Yup, ActiveMQ has a compile dependency towards jackson. There was a
discussion in 2019 [1] about it on the mailing list.

[1]
http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Why-jackson-and-jonhzon-shipped-with-latest-TomEE-td4689451.html

--
Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics

Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied Sciences
Max-Planck-Str. 39
D-74081 Heilbronn
phone: +49 7131 504 6791
mail: [hidden email]
web: https://www.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

Re: TOMEE-2958 TOMEE-2959 Tomcat and jackson update

Alex The Rocker
Okay so I already noticed this weird duplication of JSON-P/B
implementations in TomEE, and answer was that community has other
priorities.
So maybe I'll try something with "some other channel" (can't tell you
more ATM) to try to get some progress on this topic :)

Kind regards,
Alexandre

Le mar. 19 janv. 2021 à 13:08, Zowalla, Richard
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Yup, ActiveMQ has a compile dependency towards jackson. There was a
> discussion in 2019 [1] about it on the mailing list.
>
> [1]
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Why-jackson-and-jonhzon-shipped-with-latest-TomEE-td4689451.html
>
> Am Montag, den 18.01.2021, 22:43 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Gallimore:
> > Its a dependency bought in by ActiveMQ. I'm happy to look at what
> > it'll
> > take to use Johnzon, but if memory serves me correctly, last time I
> > looked,
> > it wasn't trivial. I agree that we should work towards that goal
> > though.
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:33 PM Alex The Rocker <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Why is Jackson embedded in TomEE, while we have Johnzon providing
> > > both
> > > JSON-P & JSON-B ?
> > > Isn't it making TomEE fatter than needed, not mentioning double
> > > maintenance/updating efforts ?
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > > Alexandre
> > >
> > > Le lun. 18 janv. 2021 à 22:55, Cesar Hernandez <
> > > [hidden email]> a

> --
> Richard Zowalla, M.Sc.
> Research Associate, PhD Student | Medical Informatics
>
> Hochschule Heilbronn – University of Applied Sciences
> Max-Planck-Str. 39
> D-74081 Heilbronn
> phone: +49 7131 504 6791
> mail: [hidden email]
> web: https://www.mi.hs-heilbronn.de/

Re: TOMEE-2958 TOMEE-2959 Tomcat and jackson update

Zowalla, Richard
There is even an open PR [1] by Romain to switch to Johnzon and some
discussion on a related JIRA with low activity since 2018 [2]

Might be worth to jump in the discussion and ask for any news on it?

[1] https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/308
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/AMQ/issues/AMQ-7072?filter=allopenissues