TOMEE-2618 Reconcile javax.activation dependencies

TOMEE-2618 Reconcile javax.activation dependencies

David Blevins-2
With the latest Java 11 changes we have two copies and versions of the javax.activation specification in our dist.

 - geronimo-activation_1.1_spec (via javaee-api-8.0)
 - jakarta.activation-1.2.1.jar

The Jakarta EE 8 version of Activation should be 1.2.  There is no Geronimo Activation 1.2 available.

David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: TOMEE-2618 Reconcile javax.activation dependencies

Mark Struberg-2
I'd rather roll a Geronimo-activation-1.2 spec.

EPL is a weak copyleft license. That means shipping with an EPL dependency has a legal impact on downstream consumers. That's the reason why it is only CatB.
Rolling the few missing enhancements should really be easy.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 13.08.2019 um 06:33 schrieb David Blevins <[hidden email]>:
>
> With the latest Java 11 changes we have two copies and versions of the javax.activation specification in our dist.
>
> - geronimo-activation_1.1_spec (via javaee-api-8.0)
> - jakarta.activation-1.2.1.jar
>
> The Jakarta EE 8 version of Activation should be 1.2.  There is no Geronimo Activation 1.2 available.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2618
>

> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: TOMEE-2618 Reconcile javax.activation dependencies

Alex The Rocker
Hello,

+1 : I appreciate Mark's concern wit dependencies licenses
Since we're at this, JAXB license doesn't seem so Apache-friendly :
Jon is working on upgrading 7.1.x to JAXB 2.3.2, and he mentionned
this link for JAXB source:
https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jaxb-api/tree/2.3.2.
This later page mentions an EDL 1.0 licence which sounds rather unlike
usual Apache's.
Isn't there a Geronimo replacement for JAXB which could be shipped in
TomEE to avoid it ?

Kind regards,
Alexandre Vermeerbergen

Le mar. 13 août 2019 à 22:28, Mark Struberg
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I'd rather roll a Geronimo-activation-1.2 spec.
>
> EPL is a weak copyleft license. That means shipping with an EPL dependency has a legal impact on downstream consumers. That's the reason why it is only CatB.
> Rolling the few missing enhancements should really be easy.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>
> > Am 13.08.2019 um 06:33 schrieb David Blevins <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > With the latest Java 11 changes we have two copies and versions of the javax.activation specification in our dist.
> >
> > - geronimo-activation_1.1_spec (via javaee-api-8.0)
> > - jakarta.activation-1.2.1.jar
> >
> > The Jakarta EE 8 version of Activation should be 1.2.  There is no Geronimo Activation 1.2 available.
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2618
> >

> > --
> > David Blevins
> > http://twitter.com/dblevins
> > http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: TOMEE-2618 Reconcile javax.activation dependencies

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
I'll check out the APIs and see where we can use Geronimo.
There should be Geronimo spec jars for everything. If not, it means we
should create them or update the ones we have

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> +1 : I appreciate Mark's concern wit dependencies licenses
> Since we're at this, JAXB license doesn't seem so Apache-friendly :
> Jon is working on upgrading 7.1.x to JAXB 2.3.2, and he mentionned
> this link for JAXB source:
> https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jaxb-api/tree/2.3.2.
> This later page mentions an EDL 1.0 licence which sounds rather unlike
> usual Apache's.
> Isn't there a Geronimo replacement for JAXB which could be shipped in
> TomEE to avoid it ?
>
> Kind regards,
> Alexandre Vermeerbergen
>
> Le mar. 13 août 2019 à 22:28, Mark Struberg
> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > I'd rather roll a Geronimo-activation-1.2 spec.
> >
> > EPL is a weak copyleft license. That means shipping with an EPL
> dependency has a legal impact on downstream consumers. That's the reason
> why it is only CatB.
> > Rolling the few missing enhancements should really be easy.
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub
> >
> > > Am 13.08.2019 um 06:33 schrieb David Blevins <[hidden email]
> >:
> > >
> > > With the latest Java 11 changes we have two copies and versions of the
> javax.activation specification in our dist.
> > >
> > > - geronimo-activation_1.1_spec (via javaee-api-8.0)
> > > - jakarta.activation-1.2.1.jar
> > >
> > > The Jakarta EE 8 version of Activation should be 1.2.  There is no
> Geronimo Activation 1.2 available.
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2618
> > >

> > > --
> > > David Blevins
> > > http://twitter.com/dblevins
> > > http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: TOMEE-2618 Reconcile javax.activation dependencies

Gentle note to everyone on EPL, Tomcat has had EPL dependencies since version 7.x.

I'll add some details on the "Java EE 8 versions of APIs" thread.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins