TOMEE-2291 - Fault Tolerance Microprofile example for @Retry

Jose Henrique Ventura
Hi Guys,

I still have a few things to change/write in the README.md file before I send PR but looking at microprofile-fault-tolerance spec, I see [Metrics added for @Retry](http://download.eclipse.org/microprofile/microprofile-fault-tolerance-1.1/microprofile-fault-tolerance-spec.html) and looking at the geronimo codebase I did not find anything related with retry there or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place.

So, Could someone advise me if that part of the spec was implemented, please? and if so, let me know it if would be good to add a test case related to Metrics in this example?

https://github.com/josehenriqueventura/tomee/tree/mp-faulttolerance-retry/examples/mp-faulttolerance-retry (feel free to provide any feedback for what I have done so far.)

Best Regards,
José Henrique Ventura.

Re: TOMEE-2291 - Fault Tolerance Microprofile example for @Retry

brunobat
Hi José,

The Metrics integration with the @Retry and the Fault Tolerance spec in
general was only added in FT v1.1. This has not yet been implemented in
the Geronimo-Safeguard library we are using for Fault Tolerance. That's
why you don't find it.

I've taken a look at your example and, so far, it looks fine to me.

Just one thing. The @Retry might happen in case of any exception. You
can, in one of the examples, throw a RuntimeException and show that the
retry will happen nevertheless.

Cheers

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 03/12/18 21:51, Jose Henrique Ventura wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I still have a few things to change/write in the README.md file before I send PR but looking at microprofile-fault-tolerance spec, I see [Metrics added for @Retry](http://download.eclipse.org/microprofile/microprofile-fault-tolerance-1.1/microprofile-fault-tolerance-spec.html) and looking at the geronimo codebase I did not find anything related with retry there or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place.
>
> So, Could someone advise me if that part of the spec was implemented, please? and if so, let me know it if would be good to add a test case related to Metrics in this example?
>
> https://github.com/josehenriqueventura/tomee/tree/mp-faulttolerance-retry/examples/mp-faulttolerance-retry (feel free to provide any feedback for what I have done so far.)
>
> Best Regards,
> José Henrique Ventura.

Re: TOMEE-2291 - Fault Tolerance Microprofile example for @Retry

Jose Henrique Ventura-2
Hi Bruno,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have submitted my PR, finally.

Do you know if there is a plan for implementing that feature in Geronimo-Safeguard project?
I would love to help. =)

Best Regards,
José Henrique Ventura.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:29 AM, Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi José,
>
> The Metrics integration with the @Retry and the Fault Tolerance spec in
> general was only added in FT v1.1. This has not yet been implemented in
> the Geronimo-Safeguard library we are using for Fault Tolerance. That's
> why you don't find it.
>
> I've taken a look at your example and, so far, it looks fine to me.
>
> Just one thing. The @Retry might happen in case of any exception. You
> can, in one of the examples, throw a RuntimeException and show that the
> retry will happen nevertheless.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>
> On 03/12/18 21:51, Jose Henrique Ventura wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> > I still have a few things to change/write in the README.md file before I send PR but looking at microprofile-fault-tolerance spec, I see Metrics added for @Retry and looking at the geronimo codebase I did not find anything related with retry there or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place.
> > So, Could someone advise me if that part of the spec was implemented, please? and if so, let me know it if would be good to add a test case related to Metrics in this example?
> > https://github.com/josehenriqueventura/tomee/tree/mp-faulttolerance-retry/examples/mp-faulttolerance-retry (feel free to provide any feedback for what I have done so far.)
> > Best Regards,
> > José Henrique Ventura.

Re: TOMEE-2291 - Fault Tolerance Microprofile example for @Retry

brunobat
Hi José,

Yes, there is work in progress to update Safeguard to Fault Tolerance
1.1 compliance.

I'm looking forward to review your PR.

Cheers.

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 05/12/18 16:30, Jose Henrique Ventura wrote:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I have submitted my PR, finally.
>
> Do you know if there is a plan for implementing that feature in Geronimo-Safeguard project?
> I would love to help. =)
>

> Best Regards,
> José Henrique Ventura.
>
> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Thanks for the feedback on my PR and all other things that you spotted also.

Based on this PR https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/259, I see that you made some changes for a few pom.xml and I also made the same changes to reflect what you have done in mp-faultolerance-retry pom.xml.

Do you want to me submit another PR? A slight difference between mine and yours is that I added in the pom.xml a maven-war-plugin > failOnMissingWebXml to false to avoid adding a web.xml file.

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:45 PM, Bruno Baptista [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi José,
> Yes, there is work in progress to update Safeguard to Fault Tolerance
> 1.1 compliance.
> I'm looking forward to review your PR.
> Cheers.
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
> On 05/12/18 16:30, Jose Henrique Ventura wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruno,
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>> I have submitted my PR, finally.
>> Do you know if there is a plan for implementing that feature in Geronimo-Safeguard project?
>> I would love to help. =)
>> Best Regards,
>> José Henrique Ventura.
>> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Thanks and yes, please do remove the parent in your example in a new PR.

The maven-war-plugin difference is fine. It's good to have a different
solution for the same problem :).

Thanks for noticing it!

Cheers

Bruno Baptista