Subject for next blog post

Richard Monson-Haefel
what is a common mistake people make when configuring TomEE or Tomcat?  I
want that to be the topic of the  blog post the week after next.

Tomcat is sometimes better because it draws a larger audience.  We can talk
about TomEE being Tomcat + at the start of the story raising awareness and
championing the project.

--
Richard Monson-Haefel
https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Daniel Dias Dos Santos
Hello,

maybe ,  configuring   CDI in TomCat and DataSource .
--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer

Em qui., 19 de dez. de 2019 às 09:41, Richard Monson-Haefel <
[hidden email]> escreveu:

> what is a common mistake people make when configuring TomEE or Tomcat?  I
> want that to be the topic of the  blog post the week after next.
>
> Tomcat is sometimes better because it draws a larger audience.  We can talk
> about TomEE being Tomcat + at the start of the story raising awareness and
> championing the project.
>
> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Richard Monson-Haefel
Good one, Daniel!

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Gabriel Ferreira
I like Daniels proposal. +1 :D

I have a curiosity how to embedded tomee in a project, to execute java -jar
project.jar you know?

May it's a subject too :)

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 5:48 PM Richard Monson-Haefel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Good one, Daniel!
>
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM Daniel Dias Dos Santos <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > maybe ,  configuring   CDI in TomCat and DataSource .
> > --
> >
> > *Daniel Dias dos Santos*
> > Java Developer
> > SouJava & JCP Member
> > GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
> > Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava
> >

> > Em qui., 19 de dez. de 2019 às 09:41, Richard Monson-Haefel <
> > [hidden email]> escreveu:
> >
> > > what is a common mistake people make when configuring TomEE or
> Tomcat?  I
> > > want that to be the topic of the  blog post the week after next.
> > >
> > > Tomcat is sometimes better because it draws a larger audience.  We can
> > talk
> > > about TomEE being Tomcat + at the start of the story raising awareness
> > and
> > > championing the project.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
> > >

> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

cocorossello
I also think that a post about how to use tomee-embedded in development would
be good, IMHO

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Subject for next blog post

This one would get my vote.

Couple of pointers:

- Look at the embedded EJB container. This became part of the spec in Java
EE 6, but TomEE (or OpenEJB as it was before TomEE) has actually had the
feature for years before that. Here's an example in a test:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/examples/simple-stateless/src/test/java/org/superbiz/stateless/basic/CalculatorTest.java

- You can then build on that and get a web container as well:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/examples/moviefun/src/test/java/org/superbiz/moviefun/MoviesHtmlUnitTest.java
 and
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/tomee/tomee-embedded/src/test/java/org/apache/tomee/embedded/EmbeddedTomEEContainerTest.java

Hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing the article, whatever topic you
choose.

Jon

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:42 PM Gabriel Ferreira <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I like Daniels proposal. +1 :D
>
> I have a curiosity how to embedded tomee in a project, to execute java -jar
> project.jar you know?
>
> May it's a subject too :)
>

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 5:48 PM Richard Monson-Haefel <
>
> > Good one, Daniel!
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM Daniel Dias Dos Santos <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > maybe ,  configuring   CDI in TomCat and DataSource .
> > > --
> > >
> > > *Daniel Dias dos Santos*
> > > Java Developer
> > > SouJava & JCP Member
> > > GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
> > > Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
> > > Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

> > Tomcat?  I

> can
> > > talk
> awareness
> > > and

> > --
> > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Richard Monson-Haefel
Hi Gabriel,

Another good idea.  How would you use the embedded TomEE?

Richard

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Daniel Dias Dos Santos
Hi,

we have much ideas here  :  )
--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer
SouJava & JCP Member
GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

Em sex., 20 de dez. de 2019 às 10:25, Richard Monson-Haefel <
[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hi Gabriel,
>
> Another good idea.  How would you use the embedded TomEE?
>
> Richard
>
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Gabriel Ferreira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I like Daniels proposal. +1 :D
> >
> > I have a curiosity how to embedded tomee in a project, to execute java
> -jar
> > project.jar you know?
> >
> > May it's a subject too :)
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 5:48 PM Richard Monson-Haefel <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Good one, Daniel!

> > > Tomcat?  I

> > can
> > awareness

> > > --
> > > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
> > >

> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Richard Monson-Haefel
+1

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 8:09 AM Daniel Dias Dos Santos <

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Michael Redlich
Hi Daniel:

+1 on the CDI in Tomcat and datasource.  I believe that would be very
useful!

Mike.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 1:41 PM Daniel Dias Dos Santos <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> maybe ,  configuring   CDI in TomCat and DataSource .
> --
>
> *Daniel Dias dos Santos*
> Java Developer
> SouJava & JCP Member
> GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
> Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava
>

> Em qui., 19 de dez. de 2019 às 09:41, Richard Monson-Haefel <
> [hidden email]> escreveu:
>
> > what is a common mistake people make when configuring TomEE or Tomcat?  I
> > want that to be the topic of the  blog post the week after next.
> >
> > Tomcat is sometimes better because it draws a larger audience.  We can
> talk
> > about TomEE being Tomcat + at the start of the story raising awareness
> and
> > championing the project.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

--
*Code*, *Write*, *Cycle*, *Run*, *Drink*,
*Sleep ... Repeat*

*InfoQ <https://www.infoq.com/> Java Queue Editor*
https://about.me/mpredli <http://about.me/mpredli/>
https://twitter.com/mpredli
https://redlich.net/
https://javasig.org/
*Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler*

Re: Subject for next blog post

Daniel Dias Dos Santos
Hi,

me too.

thanks  Mike .

--

*Daniel Dias dos Santos*
Java Developer
SouJava & JCP Member
GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava

Em sex., 20 de dez. de 2019 às 14:44, Michael Redlich <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> Hi Daniel:
>
> +1 on the CDI in Tomcat and datasource.  I believe that would be very
> useful!
>
> Mike.
>

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 1:41 PM Daniel Dias Dos Santos <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > maybe ,  configuring   CDI in TomCat and DataSource .
> > --
> >
> > *Daniel Dias dos Santos*
> > Java Developer
> > SouJava & JCP Member
> > GitHub: https://github.com/Daniel-Dos
> > Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldiasjava
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/danieldiasjava
> >

> > Em qui., 19 de dez. de 2019 às 09:41, Richard Monson-Haefel <
> > [hidden email]> escreveu:
> >
> > > what is a common mistake people make when configuring TomEE or
> Tomcat?  I
> > > want that to be the topic of the  blog post the week after next.
> > >
> > > Tomcat is sometimes better because it draws a larger audience.  We can
> > talk
> > > about TomEE being Tomcat + at the start of the story raising awareness
> > and
> > > championing the project.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
> > >

> --
> *Code*, *Write*, *Cycle*, *Run*, *Drink*,
> *Sleep ... Repeat*
>
> *InfoQ <https://www.infoq.com/> Java Queue Editor*
> https://about.me/mpredli <http://about.me/mpredli/>
> https://twitter.com/mpredli
> https://redlich.net/
> https://javasig.org/
> *Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler*

Re: Subject for next blog post

Gabriel Ferreira
In my company we use jBoss in production. After I contributed to the TomEE
project, I made some POC's with TomEE embedded demonstrating how to improve
our deployment process with TomEE by building a single jar file and
distributing it in a java container.
I think it's cool to demonstrate how to package a JavaEE project in a
single jar like Spring does.
I don't know if this is the real intention of the project, because I saw in
the examples that it is being used for testing. But if that is also the
proposal, I believe it would make a good article.

:D

[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hi Gabriel,
>
> Another good idea.  How would you use the embedded TomEE?
>
> Richard
>
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 4:42 PM Gabriel Ferreira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I like Daniels proposal. +1 :D
> >
> > I have a curiosity how to embedded tomee in a project, to execute java
> -jar
> > project.jar you know?
> >
> > May it's a subject too :)
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 5:48 PM Richard Monson-Haefel <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Good one, Daniel!

> > > Tomcat?  I

> > can
> > awareness

> > > --
> > > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
> > >

> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Richard Monson-Haefel
Cool.   That sounds really interesting!

Another option:  Using the TomEE Maven Plugin you can do that without
having to do anything other than create WAR file with your web application.
When you run maven it actually downloads and installs TomEE and deploys the
WAR.

This article explains that approach in detail - its easy to try for
yourself. Scroll down to the WAR First section of the article
https://www.tomitribe.com/blog/using-the-tomee-maven-plugin/

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Richard Monson-Haefel
thanks, Jon!  Excellent resource.

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

Gabriel Ferreira
Really cool !
Thank you Richard!

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019, 9:21 AM Richard Monson-Haefel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Cool.   That sounds really interesting!
>
> Another option:  Using the TomEE Maven Plugin you can do that without
> having to do anything other than create WAR file with your web application.
> When you run maven it actually downloads and installs TomEE and deploys the
> WAR.
>
> This article explains that approach in detail - its easy to try for
> yourself. Scroll down to the WAR First section of the article
> https://www.tomitribe.com/blog/using-the-tomee-maven-plugin/
>

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 4:02 PM Gabriel Ferreira <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > In my company we use jBoss in production. After I contributed to the
> TomEE
> > project, I made some POC's with TomEE embedded demonstrating how to
> improve
> > our deployment process with TomEE by building a single jar file and
> > distributing it in a java container.
> > I think it's cool to demonstrate how to package a JavaEE project in a
> > single jar like Spring does.
> > I don't know if this is the real intention of the project, because I saw
> in
> > the examples that it is being used for testing. But if that is also the
> > proposal, I believe it would make a good article.
> >
> > :D
> >
> > Em sex., 20 de dez. de 2019 às 10:25, Richard Monson-Haefel <
> > [hidden email]> escreveu:
> >
> > > Hi Gabriel,
> > >
> > > Another good idea.  How would you use the embedded TomEE?
> > >
> > > Richard

> java
> > > -jar

> next.

> > We

> > > --
> > > Richard Monson-Haefel
> > > https://twitter.com/rmonson
> > > https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
> > >

> --
> Richard Monson-Haefel
> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post

gilbertoca
I do use tomee-embedded-maven-plugin since 2015 (with help of Romain
Manni-Bucau) like almost everyone did with
tomcat-maven-plugin/jetty-maven-plugin.
Ex.: mvn package tomee-embedded:run -P dev-postgresql -Dmaven.test.skip

I setup a parametrized data-source in the web.xml and inject it everywhere
(like the persistence.xml), switching between dev and prod databases.
And make heavy use of openejb-junit package - specially the
@RunWith(EJBContainerRunner.class) annotation.

After that, I make a jar release  with help the tomee-maven-plugin by
running
Ex.: mvn clean package tomee:exec -P prod -Dmaven.test.skip

regards,

Gilberto

Happy new year!!

Gabriel Ferreira wrote

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Subject for next blog post

gilbertoca
forgot test code:
<code>
@PropertyFile("test-config.properties")
@RunWith(EJBContainerRunner.class)
public class ContratoParcelaServiceTest {
    @Resource
    private DataSource dataSource;

    @EJB
    private ContratoParcelaService parcelaService;

    // the tracker is static because JUnit uses a separate Test instance for every test method.
    // used for read-only tests
    private static final DbSetupTracker dbSetupTracker = new DbSetupTracker();

    @Before
    public void setUp() throws Exception {
        Operation operation
                = sequenceOf(
                        CommonOperations.DELETE_ALL,
                        CommonOperations.INSERT_REFERENCE_DATA);

        // same DbSetup definition as above
        DbSetup dbSetup = new DbSetup(new DataSourceDestination(dataSource), operation);

        // use the tracker to launch the DbSetup.
        dbSetupTracker.launchIfNecessary(dbSetup);
    }

    @Test
    public void parcelasComMesmoAdf() {
        dbSetupTracker.skipNextLaunch();
        List<ContratoParcela> parcelas = parcelaService.buscarParcelasPorAdf("000");
        Assert.assertEquals(4, parcelas.size());
    }
</code>

On 2020/01/03 15:22:41, gilbertoca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do use tomee-embedded-maven-plugin since 2015 (with help of Romain
> Manni-Bucau) like almost everyone did with
> tomcat-maven-plugin/jetty-maven-plugin.
> Ex.: mvn package tomee-embedded:run -P dev-postgresql -Dmaven.test.skip
>
> I setup a parametrized data-source in the web.xml and inject it everywhere
> (like the persistence.xml), switching between dev and prod databases.
> And make heavy use of openejb-junit package - specially the
> @RunWith(EJBContainerRunner.class) annotation.
>

> After that, I make a jar release  with help the tomee-maven-plugin by
> running
> Ex.: mvn clean package tomee:exec -P prod -Dmaven.test.skip
>
> regards,
>
> Gilberto
>
> Happy new year!!
>

> Gabriel Ferreira wrote
> > I like Daniels proposal. +1 :D
> >
> > I have a curiosity how to embedded tomee in a project, to execute java
> > -jar
> > project.jar you know?
> >
> > May it's a subject too :)
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 5:48 PM Richard Monson-Haefel <
>
> > monsonhaefel@
>

> > wrote:
> >
> >> Good one, Daniel!
> >>
> >> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM Daniel Dias Dos Santos <
> >>

> > daniel.dias.analistati@

> > monsonhaefel@

> >> Tomcat?  I

> >> can
> >> awareness

> >> --
> >> Richard Monson-Haefel
> >> https://twitter.com/rmonson
> >> https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

> Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Subject for next blog post

Richard Monson-Haefel
Very helpful, Gilberto. Thank you!   I'm taking a short break from blogging
right now but doing something on embedded TomEE is at the top of my list.

Richard

https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/

Re: Subject for next blog post