Status of TomEE 8

David Blevins-2
> On Apr 17, 2018, at 9:57 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What is blocking to release tomee 8? Nothing ;)

Moving this over as it's probably a good "top level" topic to discuss.  This will probably come to do "do we care about certification anymore" and that will probably involve us asking users for their opinions.

Here's the status I'm aware of from my involvement in Jakarta EE / EE4J PMC.

  - TCKs are due to show up in the May, June timeframe.  Once they show up, we will be able to legally run them.  I.e. after 5 years our TCK access will finally be restored.

  - Jakarta EE 8 TCK will be an functionally identical copy of the Java EE 8 TCK.  This is intentional so being Jakarta EE 8 certified can be implied to be Java EE 8 certified.

  - As this one will be open source, we will all be able to work on it together, openly without special paperwork.  We will also be able to openly share the results and talk about how close or far we are and do we want to release then or wait.

So I see three options:

 a) April - Release TomEE 8.x now with unknown compliance
 b) July - Run the Jakarta EE 8.x TCK, potentially release with known non-compliance and information on what isn't compliant
 c) September - Time-box closing as many issues as possible, fix what we can in 2 months and release with known non-compliance, but far less, and information on what isn't compliant
 d) ?? - Release TomEE 8.x when it is Jakarta EE 8 Web Profile compliant

I don't mention the 8.0 vs 8.1 distinction because I don't think it adds anything to the conversation.  Whenever we do our first release it would be called 8.0, it's really about when we want to do that.  I think we're all on the same page that if we did release 8.0 now, we'd increment the version in some way on milestones C or D.

I won't give my preference in this email as to not pollute the options.  If you see an option that isn't discussed, do the same and attempt to present it disconnected from your preference (i.e. use different emails).

We should probably discuss for a while, capture some options we like, then loop in users and try to get as much feedback as possible.  Maybe a google poll.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Status of TomEE 8

Romain Manni-Bucau
A) without hesitation. After years of feedbacks, our state is that we have
2 kinds of users:

- I dont care about the certification
- Certification is mandatory for me to look at what you do

Last category is clearly a subset of big companies and we lost them with EE
7 status so I think users just expect releases and moves.

It means release whatever you have and just clearly state what it is.

Side note: and we jakarta ee we can get back the second category but later.
However at least we still make category a happy in the meantime.

Le 19 avr. 2018 05:10, "David Blevins" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Apr 17, 2018, at 9:57 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What is blocking to release tomee 8? Nothing ;)

Moving this over as it's probably a good "top level" topic to discuss.
This will probably come to do "do we care about certification anymore" and
that will probably involve us asking users for their opinions.

Here's the status I'm aware of from my involvement in Jakarta EE / EE4J PMC.

  - TCKs are due to show up in the May, June timeframe.  Once they show up,
we will be able to legally run them.  I.e. after 5 years our TCK access
will finally be restored.

  - Jakarta EE 8 TCK will be an functionally identical copy of the Java EE
8 TCK.  This is intentional so being Jakarta EE 8 certified can be implied
to be Java EE 8 certified.

  - As this one will be open source, we will all be able to work on it
together, openly without special paperwork.  We will also be able to openly
share the results and talk about how close or far we are and do we want to
release then or wait.

So I see three options:

 a) April - Release TomEE 8.x now with unknown compliance
 b) July - Run the Jakarta EE 8.x TCK, potentially release with known
non-compliance and information on what isn't compliant
 c) September - Time-box closing as many issues as possible, fix what we
can in 2 months and release with known non-compliance, but far less, and
information on what isn't compliant
 d) ?? - Release TomEE 8.x when it is Jakarta EE 8 Web Profile compliant

I don't mention the 8.0 vs 8.1 distinction because I don't think it adds
anything to the conversation.  Whenever we do our first release it would be
called 8.0, it's really about when we want to do that.  I think we're all
on the same page that if we did release 8.0 now, we'd increment the version
in some way on milestones C or D.

I won't give my preference in this email as to not pollute the options.  If
you see an option that isn't discussed, do the same and attempt to present
it disconnected from your preference (i.e. use different emails).

We should probably discuss for a while, capture some options we like, then
loop in users and try to get as much feedback as possible.  Maybe a google
poll.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Status of TomEE 8

Mark Struberg-2
+1

And please note that we still have a few projects which are not yet fully EE8. E.g in BVal we are still working on it. Down to just a few failing TCK tests, but still.

LieGrue,
strub

> [...]
> information on what isn't compliant
> d) ?? - Release TomEE 8.x when it is Jakarta EE 8 Web Profile compliant
>
> I don't mention the 8.0 vs 8.1 distinction because I don't think it adds
> anything to the conversation.  Whenever we do our first release it would be
> called 8.0, it's really about when we want to do that.  I think we're all
> on the same page that if we did release 8.0 now, we'd increment the version
> in some way on milestones C or D.
>
> I won't give my preference in this email as to not pollute the options.  If
> you see an option that isn't discussed, do the same and attempt to present
> it disconnected from your preference (i.e. use different emails).
>
> We should probably discuss for a while, capture some options we like, then
> loop in users and try to get as much feedback as possible.  Maybe a google

Re: Status of TomEE 8

chongma
+1 for april release.  i tried 8 with my projects and everything seemed fine

--
Matthew Broadhead
NBM Solicitors

32 Rainsford Road
Chelmsford Essex CM1 2QG
Tel: 01245 269909 Fax: 01245 261932
www.nbmlaw.co.uk

Partners: WJ Broadhead NP Eason SJ Lacey CR Broadhead D Seepaul T Carley

NBM Solicitors are authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We are also bound by their code of conduct. Registered no. 00061052

NBM also provide a will writing service, see http://www.nbmlaw.co.uk/wills.htm for more information

Confidentiality
Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you receive the message in error, please notify the sender and immediately destroy all copies.

Security warning
Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that e-mail is not a 100% secure communications medium. We advise you that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us. This e-mail does not constitute a legally binding document. No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Nigel Broadhead Mynard Solicitors by e-mail communications.

If you have any queries, please contact [hidden email]

Re: Status of TomEE 8

How about an April release of a TomEE 8 Milestone 1?

Jon

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 4:10 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On Apr 17, 2018, at 9:57 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > What is blocking to release tomee 8? Nothing ;)
>
> Moving this over as it's probably a good "top level" topic to discuss.
> This will probably come to do "do we care about certification anymore" and
> that will probably involve us asking users for their opinions.
>
> Here's the status I'm aware of from my involvement in Jakarta EE / EE4J
> PMC.
>
>   - TCKs are due to show up in the May, June timeframe.  Once they show
> up, we will be able to legally run them.  I.e. after 5 years our TCK access
> will finally be restored.
>
>   - Jakarta EE 8 TCK will be an functionally identical copy of the Java EE
> 8 TCK.  This is intentional so being Jakarta EE 8 certified can be implied
> to be Java EE 8 certified.
>
>   - As this one will be open source, we will all be able to work on it
> together, openly without special paperwork.  We will also be able to openly
> share the results and talk about how close or far we are and do we want to
> release then or wait.
>
> So I see three options:
>
>  a) April - Release TomEE 8.x now with unknown compliance
>  b) July - Run the Jakarta EE 8.x TCK, potentially release with known
> non-compliance and information on what isn't compliant
>  c) September - Time-box closing as many issues as possible, fix what we
> can in 2 months and release with known non-compliance, but far less, and
> information on what isn't compliant
>  d) ?? - Release TomEE 8.x when it is Jakarta EE 8 Web Profile compliant
>
> I don't mention the 8.0 vs 8.1 distinction because I don't think it adds
> anything to the conversation.  Whenever we do our first release it would be
> called 8.0, it's really about when we want to do that.  I think we're all
> on the same page that if we did release 8.0 now, we'd increment the version
> in some way on milestones C or D.
>
> I won't give my preference in this email as to not pollute the options.
> If you see an option that isn't discussed, do the same and attempt to
> present it disconnected from your preference (i.e. use different emails).
>
> We should probably discuss for a while, capture some options we like, then
> loop in users and try to get as much feedback as possible.  Maybe a google
> poll.
>

> --
> David Blevins
> http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Status of TomEE 8

Romain Manni-Bucau
+1 for a next week release, no need of M1 or whatever marker in the name,
just 8.0.0 is fine IMHO.

:

> How about an April release of a TomEE 8 Milestone 1?
>
> Jon
>
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 4:10 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > > On Apr 17, 2018, at 9:57 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > What is blocking to release tomee 8? Nothing ;)
> >
> > Moving this over as it's probably a good "top level" topic to discuss.
> > This will probably come to do "do we care about certification anymore"
> and
> > that will probably involve us asking users for their opinions.
> >
> > Here's the status I'm aware of from my involvement in Jakarta EE / EE4J
> > PMC.
> >
> >   - TCKs are due to show up in the May, June timeframe.  Once they show
> > up, we will be able to legally run them.  I.e. after 5 years our TCK
> access
> > will finally be restored.
> >
> >   - Jakarta EE 8 TCK will be an functionally identical copy of the Java
> EE
> > 8 TCK.  This is intentional so being Jakarta EE 8 certified can be
> implied
> > to be Java EE 8 certified.
> >
> >   - As this one will be open source, we will all be able to work on it
> > together, openly without special paperwork.  We will also be able to
> openly
> > share the results and talk about how close or far we are and do we want
> > release then or wait.
> >
> > So I see three options:
> >
> >  a) April - Release TomEE 8.x now with unknown compliance
> >  b) July - Run the Jakarta EE 8.x TCK, potentially release with known
> > non-compliance and information on what isn't compliant
> >  c) September - Time-box closing as many issues as possible, fix what we
> > can in 2 months and release with known non-compliance, but far less, and
> > information on what isn't compliant
> >  d) ?? - Release TomEE 8.x when it is Jakarta EE 8 Web Profile compliant
> >
> > I don't mention the 8.0 vs 8.1 distinction because I don't think it adds
> > anything to the conversation.  Whenever we do our first release it would
> be
> > called 8.0, it's really about when we want to do that.  I think we're all
> > on the same page that if we did release 8.0 now, we'd increment the
> version
> > in some way on milestones C or D.
> >
> > I won't give my preference in this email as to not pollute the options.
> > If you see an option that isn't discussed, do the same and attempt to
> > present it disconnected from your preference (i.e. use different emails).
> >
> > We should probably discuss for a while, capture some options we like,
> then
> > loop in users and try to get as much feedback as possible.  Maybe a
> google
> > poll.
> >

> > --
> > David Blevins
> > http://twitter.com/dblevins
> > http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: Status of TomEE 8

cocorossello
Hi,

If you can release the javaee-api 8.0 dependency I can start using tomee 8
in production, so I can give some feedback.

I can release tomee in our private repository (I've already done it for
tomee 7.0.5), so we can work comfortably with snapshots, but I don't know
how to release that dependency.

Best regards,
Vicente.

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Status of TomEE 8

cocorossello
Hi,

I just noticed that javax.validation.ClockProvider and some methods related
to bean validation api 2.0 are missing in javaee-api-8.0-SNAPSHOT  (I'm
using it with hibernate-validator 6.0).

Is it an error?

Thanks,
Vicente.

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Status of TomEE 8

Romain Manni-Bucau
We didnt upgrade the api yet and still uses validation 1.1

Le 5 mai 2018 13:03, "cocorossello" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that javax.validation.ClockProvider and some methods related
> to bean validation api 2.0 are missing in javaee-api-8.0-SNAPSHOT  (I'm
> using it with hibernate-validator 6.0).
>
> Is it an error?
>
> Thanks,
> Vicente.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-
> f982480.html

Re: Status of TomEE 8

chongma
i saw MyFaces 2.3.1 was released.  will that get update in 8.0?

On 05/05/18 14:18, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> We didnt upgrade the api yet and still uses validation 1.1
>
> Le 5 mai 2018 13:03, "cocorossello" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just noticed that javax.validation.ClockProvider and some methods related
>> to bean validation api 2.0 are missing in javaee-api-8.0-SNAPSHOT  (I'm
>> using it with hibernate-validator 6.0).
>>
>> Is it an error?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vicente.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-
>> f982480.html

Re: Status of TomEE 8

Romain Manni-Bucau
It is in since yesterday

Le 5 mai 2018 15:53, "Matthew Broadhead" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> i saw MyFaces 2.3.1 was released.  will that get update in 8.0?

>> We didnt upgrade the api yet and still uses validation 1.1
>>
>> Le 5 mai 2018 13:03, "cocorossello" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just noticed that javax.validation.ClockProvider and some methods
>>> related
>>> to bean validation api 2.0 are missing in javaee-api-8.0-SNAPSHOT  (I'm
>>> using it with hibernate-validator 6.0).
>>>
>>> Is it an error?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vicente.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-
>>> f982480.html

Re: Status of TomEE 8

Mark Struberg-2
Yesterday I did update to Apache BVal-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.

A big thanks to Matt Benson for the huge amount of work he did put into it - he definitely deserves an OSS gold star award for his passion!

We will be working towards a BVal-2 release in the next weeks I guess.

While trying to run the build yesterday I figured that some mp integration stuff is broken.
Trying to smothen this out in the next days and then doing the setup to also pass the Bean Validation 2.0 TCK (which we already pass in BVal).

LieGrue,
strub