Specs partially in

Heads up.  I've go the EJB3 related specs partially in at :

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jee5_exp/
geronimo-spec-ejb/

Still missing anything JPA related.  It's mostly annotations at this
point.

If someone wants to earn some cred they can help me dig through and
find all the things that need to be added still.

Re: Specs partially in

Andrus Adamchik
JPA javax.persistence and javax.persistence.spi sources are available
from Glassfish repo:

https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/persistence-
api/src/java/javax/persistence/

Not sure what are the license implications of copying their sources -
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html

Andrus

On Feb 8, 2006, at 3:58 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> JPA javax.persistence and javax.persistence.spi sources are
> available from Glassfish repo:
>
> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/persistence-
> api/src/java/javax/persistence/
>
> Not sure what are the license implications of copying their sources
> - https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html

Yea, I'm going to steer clear of those.  My mortal brain can't fathom
the legal implications of CDDL.

-David

> Andrus
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 6:11 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Heads up.  I've go the EJB3 related specs partially in at :
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jee5_exp/
>> geronimo-spec-ejb/
>>
>> Still missing anything JPA related.  It's mostly annotations at
>> this point.
>>
>> If someone wants to earn some cred they can help me dig through
>> and find all the things that need to be added still.
>>

>> -David

Re: Specs partially in

Andrus Adamchik
How else can we do it then? Since Glassfish seems to be the only
"official" source of those API's (there is nothing else that Sun
provides at the moment).

Wonder if typing all involved interfaces/enums/annotations from
scratch based on say JavaDocs generated from Glassfish sources makes
it safe to put the result under Apache license. There has to be a way
to do it, right? :-) Are there any past precedents?

Andrus

On Feb 8, 2006, at 4:47 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> How else can we do it then? Since Glassfish seems to be the only
> "official" source of those API's (there is nothing else that Sun
> provides at the moment).
>
> Wonder if typing all involved interfaces/enums/annotations from
> scratch based on say JavaDocs generated from Glassfish sources
> makes it safe to put the result under Apache license. There has to
> be a way to do it, right? :-) Are there any past precedents?

Typing them in is the only way I know of.  Been using the advice of
the specs so far and it going fairly quickly.

-David

> Andrus
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 7:27 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> On Feb 8, 2006, at 3:58 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>
>>> JPA javax.persistence and javax.persistence.spi sources are
>>> available from Glassfish repo:
>>>
>>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/
>>> persistence-api/src/java/javax/persistence/
>>>
>>> Not sure what are the license implications of copying their
>>> sources - https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html
>>>

>> Yea, I'm going to steer clear of those.  My mortal brain can't
>> fathom the legal implications of CDDL.
>>
>> -David

Re: Specs partially in

Andrus Adamchik
Unless you've already started, I'll be glad to help with those two
packages.

Andrus

On Feb 8, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Unless you've already started, I'll be glad to help with those two
> packages.

You can checkout what i've go so far at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jee5_exp

You can put them right in the geronimo-spec-ejb module and put a big
svn diff style patch on this jira item:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/OPENEJB-109

Thanks, Andrus!

-David

> Andrus
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Typing them in is the only way I know of.  Been using the advice
>> of the specs so far and it going fairly quickly.
>>
>> -David

Re: Specs partially in

Matt Hogstrom
Heh,

I think mortal is the right word as you are just a man.  Those that have
concocted a cauldron of small type and preserved it electronically for all to
click through are wizards of the darkest order with mischief and mayhem on their
  wicked little minds.  Stay in the safety of your typewriter my friend and do
not give the evil ones an opportunityto use their black magic on you ;-P

David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 3:58 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> JPA javax.persistence and javax.persistence.spi sources are  available
>> from Glassfish repo:
>>
>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/source/browse/glassfish/persistence-
>> api/src/java/javax/persistence/
>>
>> Not sure what are the license implications of copying their sources  -
>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html
>>

> Yea, I'm going to steer clear of those.  My mortal brain can't fathom
> the legal implications of CDDL.
>
> -David
>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2006, at 6:11 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>> Heads up.  I've go the EJB3 related specs partially in at :
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jee5_exp/
>>> geronimo-spec-ejb/
>>>
>>> Still missing anything JPA related.  It's mostly annotations at  this
>>> point.
>>>
>>> If someone wants to earn some cred they can help me dig through  and
>>> find all the things that need to be added still.
>>>

>>> -David

Re: Specs partially in

On Feb 8, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Unless you've already started, I'll be glad to help with those two
> packages.

While we're at it.  Sign one of these and fax it in:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

See the bottom of that page "Contributor License Agreements"

One of those Apache hoops we have to jump through for patches more
than a couple lines long.

Re: Specs partially in

Jeff Genender
I have started already...i will check in shortly...

Jeff

Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Unless you've already started, I'll be glad to help with those two
> packages.
>
> Andrus
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Typing them in is the only way I know of.  Been using the advice of
>> the specs so far and it going fairly quickly.
>>
>> -David

Re: Specs partially in

Andrus Adamchik
Hmm... There is some miscommunication going on here - after 8:45 PM
EST message from David, I started doing this work too and is close to
finishing it now....

Andrus

On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:51 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> I have started already...i will check in shortly...
>
> Jeff
>
> Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> Unless you've already started, I'll be glad to help with those two
>> packages.
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>> Typing them in is the only way I know of.  Been using the advice of
>>> the specs so far and it going fairly quickly.
>>>
>>> -David

Re: Specs partially in

Andrus Adamchik
I guess a good idea would be to assign such things via Jira. Ok, I
only wasted a few hours.

Andrus

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Hmm... There is some miscommunication going on here - after 8:45 PM
> EST message from David, I started doing this work too and is close
> to finishing it now....
>
> Andrus
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:51 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> I have started already...i will check in shortly...
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> Unless you've already started, I'll be glad to help with those two
>>> packages.
>>>
>>> Andrus

Re: Specs partially in

On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:06 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> I guess a good idea would be to assign such things via Jira. Ok, I
> only wasted a few hours.

That would be a good idea.  Do you have a jira account?  I'll add you
to the OpenEJB jira.

Do you guys have any sort of tests cases for JPA yet?

Also, somewhat unrelated, what do you do for reading in deployment
descriptors?  OpenEJB used to use Castor XML, then we switched to
XMLBeans in Geronimo.

I was thinking maybe JAXB2.  One of the first steps will be reading
in a persistence.xml so we can pull out the JPA PersistenceProvider
and create those PersistenceUnitInfo thingies.

Is that something you'd want to work on?

-David

> Andrus
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> Hmm... There is some miscommunication going on here - after 8:45
>> PM EST message from David, I started doing this work too and is
>> close to finishing it now....
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:51 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>> I have started already...i will check in shortly...
>>>
>>> Jeff

Re: Specs partially in

Andrus Adamchik

On Feb 8, 2006, at 11:32 PM, David Blevins wrote:
> Do you have a jira account?  I'll add you to the OpenEJB jira.

Yes, my codehaus Jira id is "andrus".

> Do you guys have any sort of tests cases for JPA yet?

No. The plan is to develop them in parallel with the implementation
code.

> Also, somewhat unrelated, what do you do for reading in deployment
> descriptors?  OpenEJB used to use Castor XML, then we switched to
> XMLBeans in Geronimo.
>
> I was thinking maybe JAXB2.  One of the first steps will be reading
> in a persistence.xml so we can pull out the JPA PersistenceProvider
> and create those PersistenceUnitInfo thingies.
>
> Is that something you'd want to work on?

Believe it or not Cayenne is using good old SAX API. Wasn't fun to
write the parser (not that we had much choice in 2001), but it works
and it is very fast. This time around I would go with something more
fancy. JAXB is probably a good option (IIRC it doesn't require extra
runtime jars - this is a big plus for the container-less JPA operation).

BTW, persistence.xml is pretty trivial (and doesn't seem to have a
schema in the spec), so a hand-parser would work fine. But the entity-
mapping.xml is much more involved.

I can work on that. Since this is the code we would want to reuse
across OpenEJB/Geronimo/Cayenne, we need a separate subproject that
builds a separate small jar. The question is where do we put it
(package name-wise and physical repository). I suggest
"org.objectstyle.cayenne.jpa" and a subproject on codehaus (or I can
set up a repository on ObjectStyle.org).

I am not yet fully clear on the practical distinctions of the
PersistenceProvider operation within container compared to
standalone, but the plan is that cayenne-jpa.jar will be a full
standalone provider (that includes .par bootstrapping code), and
OpenEJB can extend some of its classes to do container-specific
tricks (and use it as a default provider if needed).

Does it make sense?

If so I will start on the parsing code and provider placeholder.

Andrus

Misc EJB3 stuff (Re: [openejb-dev] Specs partially in)

On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:35 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 11:32 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>> Do you have a jira account?  I'll add you to the OpenEJB jira.
>
> Yes, my codehaus Jira id is "andrus".

Great.  Just put you in the openejb-contributors group, so we can now
assign stuff to you.

>> Do you guys have any sort of tests cases for JPA yet?
>
> No. The plan is to develop them in parallel with the implementation
> code.

So how far along are you guys on implementing JPA.

>> Also, somewhat unrelated, what do you do for reading in deployment
>> descriptors?  OpenEJB used to use Castor XML, then we switched to
>> XMLBeans in Geronimo.
>>
>> I was thinking maybe JAXB2.  One of the first steps will be
>> reading in a persistence.xml so we can pull out the JPA
>> PersistenceProvider and create those PersistenceUnitInfo thingies.
>>
>> Is that something you'd want to work on?
>
> Believe it or not Cayenne is using good old SAX API. Wasn't fun to
> write the parser (not that we had much choice in 2001), but it
> works and it is very fast.

I believe it.  I actually did the same till we moved to sf.net and
set out to redesign how OpenEJB 0.8 - 1.0 work.

> This time around I would go with something more fancy. JAXB is
> probably a good option (IIRC it doesn't require extra runtime jars
> - this is a big plus for the container-less JPA operation).
>
> BTW, persistence.xml is pretty trivial (and doesn't seem to have a
> schema in the spec), so a hand-parser would work fine. But the
> entity-mapping.xml is much more involved.

Yea, it is.  I'd probably just scrape what I want from it too if were
to do it in a container-less environment like you want to do.

>   can work on that. Since this is the code we would want to reuse
> across OpenEJB/Geronimo/Cayenne, we need a separate subproject that
> builds a separate small jar. The question is where do we put it
> (package name-wise and physical repository). I suggest
> "org.objectstyle.cayenne.jpa" and a subproject on codehaus (or I
> can set up a repository on ObjectStyle.org).

I'm really more interested in someone getting experience on JAXB2
than reusing the code to marshall a persistence.xml.  Specifically,
if it works well I'll want to roll it out instead of xmlbeans for the
other dozen and more deployment descriptors which have four major
versions each as well for our own config files.

> I am not yet fully clear on the practical distinctions of the
> PersistenceProvider operation within container compared to
> standalone, but the plan is that cayenne-jpa.jar will be a full
> standalone provider (that includes .par bootstrapping code), and
> OpenEJB can extend some of its classes to do container-specific
> tricks (and use it as a default provider if needed).
>
> Does it make sense?

I'm more excited about seeing progress than where the code lives.
You could just get started on those details where ever is most
comfortable to you and as long as you are willing to sign a CLA and
submit a few reusable java files, we're good to go on our side.  We
can copy/paste reuse and dual license on the parts where there is
slight overlap between ejb container and jpa provider.  If that
becomes too hard, we can deal with it then.

If we can get somewhere fast on this, moving support for a JPA
provider into Geronimo 1.x is definitely doable.  People would love
to have it.

What do you think?

Re: Specs partially in

Jeff Genender
Andrus,

I am deeply sorry...I wasn't monitoring the lists and wanted to get this
banged out.  I apologize...I should have checked the lists.  I owe you
a few beers...

Jeff

Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> I guess a good idea would be to assign such things via Jira. Ok, I only
> wasted a few hours.
>
> Andrus
>

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> Hmm... There is some miscommunication going on here - after 8:45 PM
>> EST message from David, I started doing this work too and is close to
>> finishing it now....
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:51 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>> I have started already...i will check in shortly...
>>>
>>> Jeff

Re: Misc EJB3 stuff

Andrus Adamchik
I'll send the CLA, no problem.

We certainly have different overall priorities, so I agree - an
attempt at planning something too reusable seems like a waste of
time. I'll move ahead with the standalone provider code and then
we'll figure out how to integrate it.

Re JAXB2. I was wrong - it has substantial runtime, so it is much
less attractive from Cayenne standpoint. Still I am undecided on that.

> So how far along are you guys on implementing JPA.

We are just starting. Cayenne engine supports maybe 80-90% of the
persistence functionality of the spec (it supports things that are
not there, but this is irrelevant for this discussion). Now we are
figuring out the approach to build a compliant JPA facade.

Andrus

On Feb 9, 2006, at 2:04 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> [...]
>> standalone, but the plan is that cayenne-jpa.jar will be a full
>> standalone provider (that includes .par bootstrapping code), and
>> OpenEJB can extend some of its classes to do container-specific
>> tricks (and use it as a default provider if needed).
>>
>> Does it make sense?
>
> I'm more excited about seeing progress than where the code lives.
> You could just get started on those details where ever is most
> comfortable to you and as long as you are willing to sign a CLA and
> submit a few reusable java files, we're good to go on our side.  We
> can copy/paste reuse and dual license on the parts where there is
> slight overlap between ejb container and jpa provider.  If that
> becomes too hard, we can deal with it then.
>
> If we can get somewhere fast on this, moving support for a JPA
> provider into Geronimo 1.x is definitely doable.  People would love

Re: Specs partially in

Jeff Genender
David,

I need the karma in JIRA to assign and close out OPENEJB-109.  Its
done...geronimo-JPA is in the SVN now.

Jeff

David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>
>> Unless you've already started, I'll be glad to help with those two
>> packages.
>>

> You can checkout what i've go so far at:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jee5_exp
>
> You can put them right in the geronimo-spec-ejb module and put a big svn
> diff style patch on this jira item:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/OPENEJB-109
>
> Thanks, Andrus!
>
> -David
>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>>
>>> Typing them in is the only way I know of.  Been using the advice of
>>> the specs so far and it going fairly quickly.
>>>
>>> -David

Re: Specs partially in

Andrus Adamchik
Jeff,

No problem. I am new to the community, still figuring out how things
work.

A beer someday sounds like a good idea tho ;-)

Andrus

On Feb 9, 2006, at 2:29 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Andrus,
>
> I am deeply sorry...I wasn't monitoring the lists and wanted to get
> this
> banged out.  I apologize...I should have checked the lists.  I owe you
> a few beers...
>
> Jeff
>
> Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> I guess a good idea would be to assign such things via Jira. Ok, I
>> only
>> wasted a few hours.
>>
>> Andrus
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm... There is some miscommunication going on here - after 8:45 PM
>>> EST message from David, I started doing this work too and is
>>> close to
>>> finishing it now....
>>>
>>> Andrus

Re: Specs partially in

Jeff Genender
Andrus,

I'll tell you what I could use some help on...

The javax.persistence.Persistence concrete class.  Its on page 151-152
of the JPA spec.

Do you want to build that out?  I didn't include it in the JPA.

Jeff

Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> No problem. I am new to the community, still figuring out how things work.
>
> A beer someday sounds like a good idea tho ;-)
>
> Andrus
>

> On Feb 9, 2006, at 2:29 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> Andrus,
>>
>> I am deeply sorry...I wasn't monitoring the lists and wanted to get this
>> banged out.  I apologize...I should have checked the lists.  I owe you
>> a few beers...
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> I guess a good idea would be to assign such things via Jira. Ok, I only
>>> wasted a few hours.
>>>
>>> Andrus

12