SEVERE: A child container failed during start

SEVERE: A child container failed during start

onyii5119
At times I get the following exception while starting Tomee. Usually I run shutdown before the startup. Any clues what must be causing? Is there a special way to shutdown Tomee completely that I am not aware of?
My OS is Linux.

Thanks

INFO: -------------------------
TomcatWebAppBuilder.init
Nov 24, 2012 2:23:47 PM org.apache.openejb.util.JarExtractor extract
INFO: Extracting jar: /home/ec2-user/download/apache-tomee-webprofile-1.5.0/treasurehour/trh
Nov 24, 2012 2:23:47 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase startInternal
SEVERE: A child container failed during start
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.openejb.loader.Files$FileRuntimeException: Does not exist: /home/ec2-user/download/apache-tomee-webprofile-1.5.0/treasurehour/trh
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:252)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:1123)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:785)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1559)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1549)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
Caused by: org.apache.openejb.loader.Files$FileRuntimeException: Does not exist: /home/ec2-user/download/apache-tomee-webprofile-1.5.0/treasurehour/trh
        at org.apache.openejb.loader.Files.exists(Files.java:85)
        at org.apache.openejb.loader.Files.file(Files.java:95)
        at org.apache.openejb.loader.Zips.unzip(Zips.java:37)
        at org.apache.openejb.loader.Zips.unzip(Zips.java:29)
        at org.apache.openejb.util.JarExtractor.extract(JarExtractor.java:72)
        at org.apache.openejb.util.JarExtractor.extract(JarExtractor.java:49)
        at org.apache.openejb.config.DeploymentLoader.unpack(DeploymentLoader.java:1573)
        at org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomcatWebAppBuilder.init(TomcatWebAppBuilder.java:575)
        at org.apache.tomee.catalina.GlobalListenerSupport.lifecycleEvent(GlobalListenerSupport.java:94)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:401)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.init(LifecycleBase.java:99)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:139)
        ... 7 more
Nov 24, 2012 2:23:47 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase startInternal
SEVERE: A child container failed during start
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[treasurehour.org]]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:252)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:1123)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:302)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService.java:443)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:732)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:684)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:322)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:451)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[treasurehour.org]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1559)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1549)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: A child container failed during start
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:1131)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:785)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 7 more
Nov 24, 2012 2:23:47 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
SEVERE: Catalina.start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardServer[8005]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:684)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:322)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:451)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardService[Catalina]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:732)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina]]
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:154)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService.java:443)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 9 more
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: A child container failed during start
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:1131)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:302)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        ... 11 more
Nov 24, 2012 2:23:47 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 14444 ms

Re: SEVERE: A child container failed during start

smithh032772
I've seen the same error with TomEE 1.5+ SNAPSHOT, usually when I deploy my
web app via NetBeans, but just today (and last night), I started to deploy
WAR file by copying WAR file to tomee /webapps folder, and I don't usually
get that error when I copy WAR file to tomee /webapps folder.

You can try that and see what happens. How are you deploying, and and what
is your IDE (Netbeans, eclipse, ...)?

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM, onyii5119 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService.java:443)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
>         ... 9 more
> Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: A child container failed
> during start
>         at
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:1131)
>         at
>
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:302)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
>         ... 11 more
> Nov 24, 2012 2:23:47 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> INFO: Server startup in 14444 ms

Re: SEVERE: A child container failed during start

onyii5119
Thanks for your suggestion. Nonetheless, I have always deployed a war file. My IDE is eclipse. I have always noticed a pattern: after a new build when I deploy to Tomee it gives the exception. I will then shutdown and start the server again, after which it works fine.

Re: SEVERE: A child container failed during start

Romain Manni-Bucau
hi,

can you try to give more explicitely steps to get the error?

the error mainly means you deploy an app which doesnt exist so i guess
that's linked to IDE update of the binaries

*Romain Manni-Bucau*

2012/11/24 onyii5119 <[hidden email]>

> Thanks for your suggestion. Nonetheless, I have always deployed a war file.
> My IDE is eclipse. I have always noticed a pattern: after a new build when
> deploy to Tomee it gives the exception. I will then shutdown and start the
> server again, after which it works fine.

Re: SEVERE: A child container failed during start

smithh032772
Romain is basically saying that you should generate your war file and copy
it to webapps folder like I did and see what your results are. Seems as
though your IDE, like mine, is not as reliable as standard tomcat deploy
procedure.. Place war file in TomEE webapps folder and let TomEE do the
rest. :-)

onyii5119
The steps you outlined is exactly what I do. I build the war file and copy it to Tomee.

Re: SEVERE: A child container failed during start

Romain Manni-Bucau
Can you share your war and server.xml?