Revert back change from TomEEJohnzonProvider to TomEEJsonbProvider in 7.1.x

Revert back change from TomEEJohnzonProvider to TomEEJsonbProvider in 7.1.x

jgallimore
Hey folks

We had this change a while back:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/424ea0f0121604b58f140bbf4d6233be5874591c#diff-b22ad18567f14c1bdba3fa795bd10535

This looks like a good change in the context of EE8 (master) but is a
breaking change on the 7.1.x branch (EE7). JAX-RS 2.0 does appear to
reference JSON-B as far as I can see.

Any objections? Richard Z (@rzo1)?

Re: Revert back change from TomEEJohnzonProvider to TomEEJsonbProvider in 7.1.x

Zowalla, Richard
Hi Jon,

the related issue was https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2565 with a lot of comments documenting the issues, which were fixed with this commit.

The original change was conducted in 2018: https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/4302acab62bb64c2d77cce3a66b92ae7e9cff7c5 and already affected end-users of 7.1.0 -> 7.1.1

In https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/424ea0f0121604b58f140bbf4d6233be5874591c#diff-b22ad18567f14c1bdba3fa795bd10535 , we changed the default provider list back to the previous values of 7.1.x. as it was before https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/4302acab62bb64c2d77cce3a66b92ae7e9cff7c5 and already affected end-users of 7.1.0 -> 7.1.1

Best,
Richard

smime.p7s (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Revert back change from TomEEJohnzonProvider to TomEEJsonbProvider in 7.1.x

jgallimore
That's very useful context - thanks for that. I'll recheck with the
application I have here. It could be the case that this has been "unlucky"
to a certain extent to have been working ok on 7.1.1, and broken after that
with the revert back to the 7.1.0 behaviour. I'll also see how this lines
up with the 7.0.x branch. The two branches should line up, with the key
difference being addition of MicroProfile and raising the minimum Java
level to Java SE 8. It looks like TomEEJsonbProvider isn't a thing in the
TomEE 7.x branch at first glance.

Jon

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:39 PM Zowalla, Richard <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> the related issue was https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2565
> with a lot of comments documenting the issues, which were fixed with this
> commit.
>
> The original change was conducted in 2018:
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/4302acab62bb64c2d77cce3a66b92ae7e9cff7c5
> and already affected end-users of 7.1.0 -> 7.1.1
>
> In
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/424ea0f0121604b58f140bbf4d6233be5874591c#diff-b22ad18567f14c1bdba3fa795bd10535
> , we changed the default provider list back to the previous values of
> 7.1.x. as it was before
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/4302acab62bb64c2d77cce3a66b92ae7e9cff7c5
> and already affected end-users of 7.1.0 -> 7.1.1
>
> Best,
> Richard
>
> Am Montag, den 02.12.2019, 14:19 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Gallimore:
>
> Hey folks
>

> We had this change a while back:
>
> https://github.com/apache/tomee/commit/424ea0f0121604b58f140bbf4d6233be5874591c#diff-b22ad18567f14c1bdba3fa795bd10535
>

> This looks like a good change in the context of EE8 (master) but is a
>
> breaking change on the 7.1.x branch (EE7). JAX-RS 2.0 does appear to
>
> reference JSON-B as far as I can see.
>

> Any objections? Richard Z (@rzo1)?
>

> Thanks

Re: Revert back change from TomEEJohnzonProvider to TomEEJsonbProvider in 7.1.x

Zowalla, Richard
Okay - keep me in the loop in your investigation.
I am happy to help out in case I can do anything :)

Richard Z

[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

The provider order is configurable, and arguably we'd want the JSON-B
provider to be the default in master going forward. I'm not sure what is
most "correct" for 7.1.x at this point, but I'm not sure flip-flopping
between one default and another helps anyone.

The application in question works on 7.1.1, and fails with master, 7.1.0
and the latest 7.1.x snapshot, unless TomEEJohnzonProvider is specified. So
it does fall into that "unlucky" category.

My understanding is that 7.1.x should be the same as 7.0.x, and the only
change to be to include MicroProfile. It could be that MicroProfile
requires JSON-B... I might not be close enough to that code to be sure.
Hence why it was added. If anyone knows for sure, that would be awesome.

Jon