Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Getting the feeling calling the bundle Tomtom is a disadvantage.  Hadn't realized how incredible popular the Tomtom GPS tech was in Europe.  There's really no way to google it or monitor it on twitter without getting a ton of results related to the GPS.  I've seen a fair number of people say they dislike the name -- course they say so in unflattering ways :)

Have been thinking about what a better name would be and finally had a thought that wasn't terrible.

Thinking Tomee might be fun (pronounced like Tommy).  Basically short for Tomcat EE.

Thoughts?

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Thiago Veronezi
I think thats a really good name.
[]s,
Thiago.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Getting the feeling calling the bundle Tomtom is a disadvantage.  Hadn't
> realized how incredible popular the Tomtom GPS tech was in Europe.  There's
> really no way to google it or monitor it on twitter without getting a ton of
> results related to the GPS.  I've seen a fair number of people say they
> dislike the name -- course they say so in unflattering ways :)
>
> Have been thinking about what a better name would be and finally had a
> thought that wasn't terrible.
>
> Thinking Tomee might be fun (pronounced like Tommy).  Basically short for
> Tomcat EE.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

jgallimore
I like it. I did like TomTom as well, but was a bit wary about the name
clash.

Jon
On 4 Nov 2010 21:18, "Thiago Veronezi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think thats a really good name.
> []s,
> Thiago.
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]
>wrote:
>
>> Getting the feeling calling the bundle Tomtom is a disadvantage. Hadn't
>> realized how incredible popular the Tomtom GPS tech was in Europe.
There's
>> really no way to google it or monitor it on twitter without getting a ton
of

>> results related to the GPS. I've seen a fair number of people say they
>> dislike the name -- course they say so in unflattering ways :)
>>
>> Have been thinking about what a better name would be and finally had a
>> thought that wasn't terrible.
>>
>> Thinking Tomee might be fun (pronounced like Tommy). Basically short for
>> Tomcat EE.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

>> -David

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Good catch!
+1

Jean-Louis

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

AndyG
I like TomEE - With capitals ;-)

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Interesting post from Adam
http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/tomcat_on_steroids_with_ejb

Jean-Louis

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Matthias Wessendorf-5
+1 on TomEE

Also, I am currently (when ever time permits) trying to merge MyFaces
and OWB into it...
That's even more EE

-Matthias

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting post from Adam
> http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/tomcat_on_steroids_with_ejb
>
> Jean-Louis

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Gurkan Erdogdu
Hi folks;

We are thinking to propose SIwpas as an incubator porject in ASF.

Gurkan

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Matthias Wessendorf-5
Cool!

-Matze

sent from my Android phone
On Nov 5, 2010 6:43 PM, "Gurkan Erdogdu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks;
>
> We are thinking to propose SIwpas as an incubator porject in ASF.
>
> Gurkan

Why not just help out?

I have to say I'm confused why you would fork the OpenEJB/Tomcat integration code to a google code project, then reintroduce it back into Apache as an Incubator project.

If you have new ideas I'm sure we'd all love to hear them and be excited to have the help.

-David

Gurkan Erdogdu wrote
Hi folks;

We are thinking to propose SIwpas as an incubator porject in ASF.

Gurkan

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Gurkan Erdogdu
Hi,

David when we started SIwpas, OpenEJB/Tomcat integration was not the  right
project for us to contribute. Becuase it needs lots of  customization and also
trimming of  the features like Web Services,  Connectors , JMS etc. Moreover, at
that time OpenEJB/Tomcat integration  was not so active project as today. For
example, OpenEJB/Tomcat still  does not support Tomcat 7. Working with that type
of project consumes  lots of time becuase of patching, waiting for accepting,
etc....

When you are not a committer of the project, it is not easy to patch  everthing
and continue to next. While we write SIwpas, we patch other  projects like
OpenEJB, MyFaces, Tomcat, OpenWebBeans etc. It means that  we did not just get
OpenEJB/Tomcat integration and started forking.  SIwpas contains lots of new
things. It has passed OpenWebBeans Web  Profile TCK, and we will start to
certify it as a Java EE Web Profile  Container. SIwpas Web 2.0 administration
console is on the way also.

Anyway, I understood your points but I ensure that you also understand  my
points....

Just my 2 cents

Thanks;

--Gurkan

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Gurkan Erdogdu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> David when we started SIwpas, OpenEJB/Tomcat integration was not the  right
> project for us to contribute. Becuase it needs lots of  customization and also
> trimming of  the features like Web Services,  Connectors , JMS etc. Moreover, at
> that time OpenEJB/Tomcat integration  was not so active project as today. For
> example, OpenEJB/Tomcat still  does not support Tomcat 7. Working with that type
> of project consumes  lots of time becuase of patching, waiting for accepting,
> etc....
>
> When you are not a committer of the project, it is not easy to patch  everthing
> and continue to next. While we write SIwpas, we patch other  projects like
> OpenEJB, MyFaces, Tomcat, OpenWebBeans etc. It means that  we did not just get
> OpenEJB/Tomcat integration and started forking.  SIwpas contains lots of new
> things. It has passed OpenWebBeans Web  Profile TCK, and we will start to
> certify it as a Java EE Web Profile  Container. SIwpas Web 2.0 administration
> console is on the way also.
>

> Anyway, I understood your points but I ensure that you also understand  my
> points....
>
> Just my 2 cents

This seems easy to fix.  If you're passionate about the success of the
project and are willing to do those things here, I don't see any
reason you couldn't be a committer right now.

As you point out we could use the help.

Dain was the most recent to take the Tomcat code under his wing and
really took it a level further than its previous version.  It would be
great to have you in there pushing it to the next level.

There's plenty of room for more ideas and hands!

-David