Releases?

jgallimore
Hi All,

Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed as
well.

Re: Releases?

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Go for it

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
> dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
> Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
> ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed as
> well.
>
> Thanks

Re: Releases?

Wiesner, Martin
Thx Jon for getting things rolling. Much appreciated!

Best
Martin
-
https://twitter.com/mawiesne

> Am 08.01.2021 um 14:35 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro <[hidden email]>:
>
> Go for it
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
>> dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
>> Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
>> ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed as
>> well.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jon

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
Thanks! Getting this underway now.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:25 PM Wiesner, Martin <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thx Jon for getting things rolling. Much appreciated!
>
> Best
> Martin
> -
> https://twitter.com/mawiesne
>
> > Am 08.01.2021 um 14:35 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > Go for it
> > --
> > Jean-Louis Monteiro
> > http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> > http://www.tomitribe.com
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
> >> dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
> >> Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
> >> ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed
> as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Jon

Re: Releases?

Alex The Rocker
Hi Jon,

Yesssss great proposal, i'm 100% for a 8.0.6, and I will provide
feedbacks based on our apps when RC (Release Candidate) will be
available (please don't forget Arquillian embedded TomEE 8.0.6 in RC).

Kind regards,
Alexandre

Le ven. 8 janv. 2021 à 14:15, Jonathan Gallimore
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi All,
>
> Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
> dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
> Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
> ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed as
> well.
>
> Thanks

AW: Releases?

Zowalla, Richard

great idea - no objections from my side

Gruss
Richard

Re: Releases?

Cesar Hernandez
+1 on a new release.
btw, this one is a pending dependency update in case still make it for the
release. The CI result got stuck base on the WIP I'm troubleshooting in the
Jenkins TomEE PR job: https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/729

El vie, 8 ene 2021 a las 10:25, Zowalla, Richard (<
[hidden email]>) escribió:

> Hi,
>
> great idea - no objections from my side
>
> Gruss
> Richard

César Hernández.

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
I ran into some issues over the weekend, specifically with CDI tests, where
each test seemed to be timing out after 90 seconds, additionally there's a
warning about a .war not being deployed. The CI seems to have the same
issue.

Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.apache.openejb.arquillian.common.TomEEContainer
undeploy
WARNING: 747aba401bdbd3a58da1ac3acd318310abb7e18d.war was not deployed
Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.jboss.cdi.tck.shrinkwrap.ArchiveBuilder build
INFO: Test archive built [info:
org.jboss.cdi.tck.tests.implementation.producer.method.broken.parameterizedTypeWithWildcard.ParameterizedTypeWithWildcardTest,
time: 13 ms]
Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.apache.openejb.client.EventLogger log
INFO: RemoteInitialContextCreated{providerUri=
http://localhost:33417/tomee/ejb}
Jan 08, 2021 5:34:21 PM
org.jboss.cdi.tck.impl.testng.ProgressLoggingTestListener beforeInvocation

I stopped the build here after it ran for 8 hours. I'm taking a look at
this today.

Jon

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Cesar Hernandez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 on a new release.
> btw, this one is a pending dependency update in case still make it for the
> release. The CI result got stuck base on the WIP I'm troubleshooting in the
> Jenkins TomEE PR job: https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/729
>
> El vie, 8 ene 2021 a las 10:25, Zowalla, Richard (<
> [hidden email]>) escribió:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > great idea - no objections from my side
> >
> > Gruss
> > Richard

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
Looks like there is an underlying memory leak here. I'm digging into it. It
looks like StandardContext objects aren't being cleaned up when undeploying
applications.

Jon

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:46 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I ran into some issues over the weekend, specifically with CDI tests,
> where each test seemed to be timing out after 90 seconds, additionally
> there's a warning about a .war not being deployed. The CI seems to have the
> same issue.
>
> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM
> org.apache.openejb.arquillian.common.TomEEContainer undeploy
> WARNING: 747aba401bdbd3a58da1ac3acd318310abb7e18d.war was not deployed
> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.jboss.cdi.tck.shrinkwrap.ArchiveBuilder build
> INFO: Test archive built [info:
> org.jboss.cdi.tck.tests.implementation.producer.method.broken.parameterizedTypeWithWildcard.ParameterizedTypeWithWildcardTest,
> time: 13 ms]
> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.apache.openejb.client.EventLogger log
> INFO: RemoteInitialContextCreated{providerUri=
> http://localhost:33417/tomee/ejb}
> Jan 08, 2021 5:34:21 PM
> org.jboss.cdi.tck.impl.testng.ProgressLoggingTestListener beforeInvocation
>
> I stopped the build here after it ran for 8 hours. I'm taking a look at
> this today.
>
> Jon
>
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Cesar Hernandez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> +1 on a new release.
>> btw, this one is a pending dependency update in case still make it for the
>> release. The CI result got stuck base on the WIP I'm troubleshooting in
>> the
>> Jenkins TomEE PR job: https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/729
>>
>> El vie, 8 ene 2021 a las 10:25, Zowalla, Richard (<
>> [hidden email]>) escribió:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > great idea - no objections from my side
>> >
>> > Gruss
>> > Richard

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
A (very long) git bisect is showing the taglib shading as being the culprit
here - I assume the package change is leading to a classloader issue or
similar. Continuing to work on it, I'll let you know what I find. Pointer
are definitely welcome :)

Jon

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like there is an underlying memory leak here. I'm digging into it.
> It looks like StandardContext objects aren't being cleaned up when
> undeploying applications.
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:46 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I ran into some issues over the weekend, specifically with CDI tests,
>> where each test seemed to be timing out after 90 seconds, additionally
>> there's a warning about a .war not being deployed. The CI seems to have the
>> same issue.
>>
>> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM
>> org.apache.openejb.arquillian.common.TomEEContainer undeploy
>> WARNING: 747aba401bdbd3a58da1ac3acd318310abb7e18d.war was not deployed
>> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.jboss.cdi.tck.shrinkwrap.ArchiveBuilder build
>> INFO: Test archive built [info:
>> org.jboss.cdi.tck.tests.implementation.producer.method.broken.parameterizedTypeWithWildcard.ParameterizedTypeWithWildcardTest,
>> time: 13 ms]
>> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.apache.openejb.client.EventLogger log
>> INFO: RemoteInitialContextCreated{providerUri=
>> http://localhost:33417/tomee/ejb}
>> Jan 08, 2021 5:34:21 PM
>> org.jboss.cdi.tck.impl.testng.ProgressLoggingTestListener beforeInvocation
>>
>> I stopped the build here after it ran for 8 hours. I'm taking a look at
>> this today.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Cesar Hernandez <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on a new release.
>>> btw, this one is a pending dependency update in case still make it for
>>> the
>>> release. The CI result got stuck base on the WIP I'm troubleshooting in
>>> the
>>> Jenkins TomEE PR job: https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/729

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
I think I have managed to resolved - essentially the taglibs jar changing
name, and also some packages having "openejb.shade." prepended to them
looked to be tripping us up.

I have run a full build on a server here, but I do get some test failures
that I'll look at. I'll also see what the CI produces, and I'll get a TCK
run done as well.

Thanks for your patience.

Jon

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:52 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> A (very long) git bisect is showing the taglib shading as being the
> culprit here - I assume the package change is leading to a classloader
> issue or similar. Continuing to work on it, I'll let you know what I find.
> Pointer are definitely welcome :)
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Looks like there is an underlying memory leak here. I'm digging into it.
>> It looks like StandardContext objects aren't being cleaned up when
>> undeploying applications.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 11:46 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I ran into some issues over the weekend, specifically with CDI tests,
>>> where each test seemed to be timing out after 90 seconds, additionally
>>> there's a warning about a .war not being deployed. The CI seems to have the
>>> same issue.
>>>
>>> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM
>>> org.apache.openejb.arquillian.common.TomEEContainer undeploy
>>> WARNING: 747aba401bdbd3a58da1ac3acd318310abb7e18d.war was not deployed
>>> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.jboss.cdi.tck.shrinkwrap.ArchiveBuilder build
>>> INFO: Test archive built [info:
>>> org.jboss.cdi.tck.tests.implementation.producer.method.broken.parameterizedTypeWithWildcard.ParameterizedTypeWithWildcardTest,
>>> time: 13 ms]
>>> Jan 08, 2021 5:31:22 PM org.apache.openejb.client.EventLogger log
>>> INFO: RemoteInitialContextCreated{providerUri=
>>> http://localhost:33417/tomee/ejb}
>>> Jan 08, 2021 5:34:21 PM
>>> org.jboss.cdi.tck.impl.testng.ProgressLoggingTestListener beforeInvocation
>>>
>>> I stopped the build here after it ran for 8 hours. I'm taking a look at
>>> this today.
>>>
>>> Jon

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
Specifically, these are the tests I'm seeing some issues with:

[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.538 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.datasourcerealm.DataSourceRealmTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.914 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlEarTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.474 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
2.528 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlCastTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
1.178 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlHibernateEarTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.528 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.datasourcerealm.DataSourceRealmTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.843 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlEarTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
0.514 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
2.68 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlCastTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
1.116 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.openejb.arquillian.tests.cmp.sample.CustomOrmXmlHibernateEarTest
[ERROR] Tests run: 9, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
4.371 s <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.openejb.activemq.JMS2AMQTest
[ERROR]
sendToMdbWithTxAndCheckLeaks(org.apache.openejb.activemq.JMS2AMQTest)  Time
elapsed: 1.852 s  <<< FAILURE!
[ERROR] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
24.385 s <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.openejb.itest.legacy.LegacyServerTest

addMovie(org.superbiz.movie.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.231 sec  <<<
ERROR!
getAllMovies(org.superbiz.movie.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.089 sec
 <<< ERROR!
addMovie(org.superbiz.movie.wp.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.214 sec
 <<< ERROR!
getAllMovies(org.superbiz.movie.wp.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.095
sec  <<< ERROR!
addMovie(org.superbiz.movie.wp.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.151 sec
 <<< ERROR!
getAllMovies(org.superbiz.movie.wp.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.119
sec  <<< ERROR!
addMovie(org.superbiz.movie.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.195 sec  <<<
ERROR!
getAllMovies(org.superbiz.movie.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.097 sec
 <<< ERROR!
addMovie(org.superbiz.movie.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.17 sec  <<<
ERROR!
getAllMovies(org.superbiz.movie.MovieServiceTest)  Time elapsed: 0.122 sec
 <<< ERROR!
org.superbiz.mvc.MVCTest  Time elapsed: 27.863 sec  <<< ERROR!

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:30 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I have managed to resolved - essentially the taglibs jar changing
> name, and also some packages having "openejb.shade." prepended to them
> looked to be tripping us up.
>
> I have run a full build on a server here, but I do get some test failures
> that I'll look at. I'll also see what the CI produces, and I'll get a TCK
> run done as well.
>
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:52 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A (very long) git bisect is showing the taglib shading as being the
>> culprit here - I assume the package change is leading to a classloader
>> issue or similar. Continuing to work on it, I'll let you know what I find.
>> Pointer are definitely welcome :)
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like there is an underlying memory leak here. I'm digging into it.
>>> It looks like StandardContext objects aren't being cleaned up when
>>> undeploying applications.
>>>
>>> Jon

Re: Releases?

Alex The Rocker
Hello Jon,

Would you please make sure that this 8.0.6 TomEE release will include
latest CVEs fixes (from TomEE, ActiveMQ, etc) ?

<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi All,
>
> Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
> dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
> Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
> ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed as
> well.
>
> Thanks

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
Yes. Is there a specific concern you have?

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:40 AM Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Jon,
>
> Would you please make sure that this 8.0.6 TomEE release will include
> latest CVEs fixes (from TomEE, ActiveMQ, etc) ?
>
> Kind regards;
> Alexandre
>
> Le ven. 8 janv. 2021 à 14:15, Jonathan Gallimore
> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
> > dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
> > Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
> > ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed
> as
> > well.
> >
> > Thanks

Re: Releases?

Alex The Rocker
yes, for example CVE-2021-24122, for which fix exists in Tomcat 9.0.40
/ 8.5.60 / etc.
I hope this will be at least Tomcat's version embedded in upcoming TomEE 8.0.6

Kind regards,
Alexandre

Le mer. 13 janv. 2021 à 12:53, Jonathan Gallimore
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Yes. Is there a specific concern you have?
>
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:40 AM Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Jon,
> >
> > Would you please make sure that this 8.0.6 TomEE release will include
> > latest CVEs fixes (from TomEE, ActiveMQ, etc) ?
> >
> > Kind regards;
> > Alexandre
> >
> > Le ven. 8 janv. 2021 à 14:15, Jonathan Gallimore
> > <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Any objections if I kick off a 8.0.6 release? I think there are some
> > > dependency updates that it would be useful to get included (specifically
> > > Tomcat), and also there's a regression with using a non-transactional
> > > ActiveMQ connection factory in a transactional method that I have fixed
> > as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Jon

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
Hi Alexandre

The Tomcat version for 8.0.6 will be 9.0.41, and I am cutting the release
now. This will include the fix for CVE-2021-24122, announced on Tomcat's
mailing list today.

Kind Regards

Jon

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:26 PM Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> yes, for example CVE-2021-24122, for which fix exists in Tomcat 9.0.40
> / 8.5.60 / etc.
> I hope this will be at least Tomcat's version embedded in upcoming TomEE
> 8.0.6
>
> Kind regards,
> Alexandre
>
> Le mer. 13 janv. 2021 à 12:53, Jonathan Gallimore
> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Yes. Is there a specific concern you have?
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 10:40 AM Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Jon,
> > >
> > > Would you please make sure that this 8.0.6 TomEE release will include
> > > latest CVEs fixes (from TomEE, ActiveMQ, etc) ?
> > >
> > > Kind regards;
> > > Alexandre

> (specifically
> fixed
> > > as

Re: Releases?

jgallimore
I have posted a vote for 8.0.6. I'll follow up with 7.x versions. This does
include Tomcat 9.0.41. Please do note that ActiveMQ just started a new
release vote for 5.16.1 just before I posted this, which is *not* included.
We can certainly followup with an 8.0.7 if needed or include it if a reroll
is needed.

Jon

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre
>
> The Tomcat version for 8.0.6 will be 9.0.41, and I am cutting the release
> now. This will include the fix for CVE-2021-24122, announced on Tomcat's
> mailing list today.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Jon
>

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:26 PM Alex The Rocker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> yes, for example CVE-2021-24122, for which fix exists in Tomcat 9.0.40
>> / 8.5.60 / etc.
>> I hope this will be at least Tomcat's version embedded in upcoming TomEE
>> 8.0.6
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Alexandre
>>
>> Le mer. 13 janv. 2021 à 12:53, Jonathan Gallimore
>> <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> >
>> > Yes. Is there a specific concern you have?

>> (specifically
>> non-transactional
>> fixed

Re: Releases?

exabrial12
We've been have some applications in prod OOME. I took a heap dump of one and
saw a bunch of Johnzon CDI instances, so this is a welcome release.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Releases?

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Do you know if it's fixed by the current master?
Just want to make sure it's fixed lol

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:58 PM exabrial12 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We've been have some applications in prod OOME. I took a heap dump of one
> and
> saw a bunch of Johnzon CDI instances, so this is a welcome release.
>
> Thanks everyone!

> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: Releases?

exabrial12
We're going into a 3 day weekend, and I have a "don't deploy on a Friday
rule" for the dept 😂 but I think we could flip one of the nodes to the
master snapshot in the cluster over starting Tuesday morning. It generally
takes about 1-3 days for the server to OOME after that. I wouldn't delay the
release on account of our schedule but we could certainly test it to help
out since we can reproduce pretty easily.

--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
12