Re: OpenTracing - nullpointer OpenTracingFilter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenTracing - nullpointer OpenTracingFilter

ivanjunckes
When you say it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE, could you please be more
specific? Of course if you are aware of what it could be·

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hmm, we can add a check in the filter and fail the deployment but at the
> end it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE so likely saner to fix it in TomEE,
> right?
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>
>
>
> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 15:37, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
>> I would say if the extension was not executed for some reason that we
>> need to know why, we need to make sure the filter doesn't throw that
>> exception or completely ignore the filter logic right?
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ivan,
>>>
>>> This means the opentracing extension was not executed for the app:
>>> https://github.com/apache/geronimo-opentracing/blob/master/geronimo-opentracing/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/microprofile/opentracing/microprofile/cdi/OpenTracingExtension.java#L125
>>>
>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
>>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>>> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>
>>>
>>>
>>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 14:39, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
>>> a écrit :
>>>
>>>> Hey guys, I would like some help with an opentracing issue. I am not
>>>> sure if it was already fixed or not. It was happening on version 1.0.0,
>>>> current M1 release of TomEE 8.
>>>>
>>>> There is a nullpointer happening in OpenTracingFilter and it seems to
>>>> be because this injection is null.
>>>>
>>>> @Inject
>>>> private GeronimoOpenTracingConfig config;
>>>>
>>>> So this line throws the null pointer:
>>>>
>>>> skipDefaultTags = Boolean.parseBoolean(config.read("filter.forcedTracing.skipDefaultTags", "false"));
>>>>
>>>> Anyone can help with this?
>>>>
>>>> Logs are attached.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenTracing - nullpointer OpenTracingFilter

Romain Manni-Bucau
Long story short, the MP impl assume CDI is active, if not then tomee but
disable the MP impl.
For us it means disabling also the servlet container initializers. It can
be done in OpenEJBContextConfig or - likely good - implementing a
contextual ConfigSource (reading AppContext#properties for instance) and
forcing geronimo.opentracing.filter.active to false for the webapp (not
globally). Setting the system property you should get the same behavior but
it will be global so some app will not get tracing.
In other word it is the core work tomee must do: integration :).

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
<https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>


Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 17:03, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> When you say it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE, could you please be more
> specific? Of course if you are aware of what it could be·
>
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, we can add a check in the filter and fail the deployment but at the
>> end it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE so likely saner to fix it in TomEE,
>> right?
>>
>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>
>>
>>
>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 15:37, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
>> a écrit :
>>
>>> I would say if the extension was not executed for some reason that we
>>> need to know why, we need to make sure the filter doesn't throw that
>>> exception or completely ignore the filter logic right?
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi Ivan,
>>>>
>>>> This means the opentracing extension was not executed for the app:
>>>> https://github.com/apache/geronimo-opentracing/blob/master/geronimo-opentracing/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/microprofile/opentracing/microprofile/cdi/OpenTracingExtension.java#L125
>>>>
>>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
>>>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
>>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>>>> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 14:39, Ivan Junckes Filho <
>>>> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>>
>>>>> Hey guys, I would like some help with an opentracing issue. I am not
>>>>> sure if it was already fixed or not. It was happening on version 1.0.0,
>>>>> current M1 release of TomEE 8.
>>>>>
>>>>> There is a nullpointer happening in OpenTracingFilter and it seems to
>>>>> be because this injection is null.
>>>>>
>>>>> @Inject
>>>>> private GeronimoOpenTracingConfig config;
>>>>>
>>>>> So this line throws the null pointer:
>>>>>
>>>>> skipDefaultTags = Boolean.parseBoolean(config.read("filter.forcedTracing.skipDefaultTags", "false"));
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyone can help with this?
>>>>>
>>>>> Logs are attached.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenTracing - nullpointer OpenTracingFilter

Roberto Cortez
Hi Ivan,

Can you please provide a test case that reproduces the issue? Thank you!

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 22 Jan 2019, at 16:07, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Long story short, the MP impl assume CDI is active, if not then tomee but
> disable the MP impl.
> For us it means disabling also the servlet container initializers. It can
> be done in OpenEJBContextConfig or - likely good - implementing a
> contextual ConfigSource (reading AppContext#properties for instance) and
> forcing geronimo.opentracing.filter.active to false for the webapp (not
> globally). Setting the system property you should get the same behavior but
> it will be global so some app will not get tracing.
> In other word it is the core work tomee must do: integration :).
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>
>
>
> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 17:03, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> When you say it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE, could you please be more
>> specific? Of course if you are aware of what it could be·
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, we can add a check in the filter and fail the deployment but at the
>>> end it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE so likely saner to fix it in TomEE,
>>> right?
>>>
>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
>>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>>> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>
>>>
>>>
>>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 15:37, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
>>> a écrit :
>>>
>>>> I would say if the extension was not executed for some reason that we
>>>> need to know why, we need to make sure the filter doesn't throw that
>>>> exception or completely ignore the filter logic right?
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
>>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi Ivan,
>>>>>
>>>>> This means the opentracing extension was not executed for the app:
>>>>> https://github.com/apache/geronimo-opentracing/blob/master/geronimo-opentracing/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/microprofile/opentracing/microprofile/cdi/OpenTracingExtension.java#L125
>>>>>
>>>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>>>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>>>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>>>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
>>>>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
>>>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>>>>> <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 14:39, Ivan Junckes Filho <
>>>>> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hey guys, I would like some help with an opentracing issue. I am not
>>>>>> sure if it was already fixed or not. It was happening on version 1.0.0,
>>>>>> current M1 release of TomEE 8.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> There is a nullpointer happening in OpenTracingFilter and it seems to
>>>>>> be because this injection is null.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> @Inject
>>>>>> private GeronimoOpenTracingConfig config;
>>>>>>
>>>>>> So this line throws the null pointer:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> skipDefaultTags = Boolean.parseBoolean(config.read("filter.forcedTracing.skipDefaultTags", "false"));
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Anyone can help with this?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Logs are attached.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenTracing - nullpointer OpenTracingFilter

ivanjunckes
This is the ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2457

This looks like a release blocker in my opinion. I will check the master
and see how it behaves.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 3:53 PM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ivan,
>
> Can you please provide a test case that reproduces the issue? Thank you!
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 22 Jan 2019, at 16:07, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Long story short, the MP impl assume CDI is active, if not then tomee but
> > disable the MP impl.
> > For us it means disabling also the servlet container initializers. It can
> > be done in OpenEJBContextConfig or - likely good - implementing a
> > contextual ConfigSource (reading AppContext#properties for instance) and
> > forcing geronimo.opentracing.filter.active to false for the webapp (not
> > globally). Setting the system property you should get the same behavior
> but
> > it will be global so some app will not get tracing.
> > In other word it is the core work tomee must do: integration :).
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> > <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
> > <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <
> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> > <
> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance
> >
> >
> >
> > Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 17:03, Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
> a
> > écrit :
> >
> >> When you say it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE, could you please be
> more
> >> specific? Of course if you are aware of what it could be·
> >>
> >> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Hmm, we can add a check in the filter and fail the deployment but at
> the
> >>> end it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE so likely saner to fix it in
> TomEE,
> >>> right?
> >>>
> >>> Romain Manni-Bucau
> >>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> >>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
> >>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
> >>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
> >>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> >>> <
> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance
> >
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 15:37, Ivan Junckes Filho <
> [hidden email]>
> >>> a écrit :
> >>>
> >>>> I would say if the extension was not executed for some reason that we
> >>>> need to know why, we need to make sure the filter doesn't throw that
> >>>> exception or completely ignore the filter logic right?
> >>>>
> >>>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
> >>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> Hi Ivan,
> >>>>>
> >>>>> This means the opentracing extension was not executed for the app:
> >>>>>
> https://github.com/apache/geronimo-opentracing/blob/master/geronimo-opentracing/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/microprofile/opentracing/microprofile/cdi/OpenTracingExtension.java#L125
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
> >>>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> >>>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
> >>>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
> >>>>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
> >>>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> >>>>> <
> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance
> >
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 14:39, Ivan Junckes Filho <
> >>>>> [hidden email]> a écrit :
> >>>>>
> >>>>>> Hey guys, I would like some help with an opentracing issue. I am not
> >>>>>> sure if it was already fixed or not. It was happening on version
> 1.0.0,
> >>>>>> current M1 release of TomEE 8.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> There is a nullpointer happening in OpenTracingFilter and it seems
> to
> >>>>>> be because this injection is null.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> @Inject
> >>>>>> private GeronimoOpenTracingConfig config;
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> So this line throws the null pointer:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> skipDefaultTags =
> Boolean.parseBoolean(config.read("filter.forcedTracing.skipDefaultTags",
> "false"));
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Anyone can help with this?
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> Logs are attached.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenTracing - nullpointer OpenTracingFilter

ivanjunckes
Good news, this is not happening in the master. I will close the ticket and
wait for the release.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:16 AM Ivan Junckes Filho <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is the ticket:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2457
>
> This looks like a release blocker in my opinion. I will check the master
> and see how it behaves.
>
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 3:53 PM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ivan,
>>
>> Can you please provide a test case that reproduces the issue? Thank you!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Roberto
>>
>> > On 22 Jan 2019, at 16:07, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Long story short, the MP impl assume CDI is active, if not then tomee
>> but
>> > disable the MP impl.
>> > For us it means disabling also the servlet container initializers. It
>> can
>> > be done in OpenEJBContextConfig or - likely good - implementing a
>> > contextual ConfigSource (reading AppContext#properties for instance) and
>> > forcing geronimo.opentracing.filter.active to false for the webapp (not
>> > globally). Setting the system property you should get the same behavior
>> but
>> > it will be global so some app will not get tracing.
>> > In other word it is the core work tomee must do: integration :).
>> >
>> > Romain Manni-Bucau
>> > @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>> > <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>> > <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
>> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>> > <
>> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 17:03, Ivan Junckes Filho <
>> [hidden email]> a
>> > écrit :
>> >
>> >> When you say it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE, could you please be
>> more
>> >> specific? Of course if you are aware of what it could be·
>> >>
>> >> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:50 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>
>> >> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> Hmm, we can add a check in the filter and fail the deployment but at
>> the
>> >>> end it is a bug in CDI support of TomEE so likely saner to fix it in
>> TomEE,
>> >>> right?
>> >>>
>> >>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> >>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>> >>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>> >>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
>> >>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
>> >>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>> >>> <
>> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance
>> >
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 15:37, Ivan Junckes Filho <
>> [hidden email]>
>> >>> a écrit :
>> >>>
>> >>>> I would say if the extension was not executed for some reason that we
>> >>>> need to know why, we need to make sure the filter doesn't throw that
>> >>>> exception or completely ignore the filter logic right?
>> >>>>
>> >>>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:08 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> >>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >>>>
>> >>>>> Hi Ivan,
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> This means the opentracing extension was not executed for the app:
>> >>>>>
>> https://github.com/apache/geronimo-opentracing/blob/master/geronimo-opentracing/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/microprofile/opentracing/microprofile/cdi/OpenTracingExtension.java#L125
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> >>>>> @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>> >>>>> <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>> >>>>> <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
>> >>>>> <https://github.com/rmannibucau> | LinkedIn
>> >>>>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>> >>>>> <
>> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance
>> >
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Le mar. 22 janv. 2019 à 14:39, Ivan Junckes Filho <
>> >>>>> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>> Hey guys, I would like some help with an opentracing issue. I am
>> not
>> >>>>>> sure if it was already fixed or not. It was happening on version
>> 1.0.0,
>> >>>>>> current M1 release of TomEE 8.
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> There is a nullpointer happening in OpenTracingFilter and it seems
>> to
>> >>>>>> be because this injection is null.
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> @Inject
>> >>>>>> private GeronimoOpenTracingConfig config;
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> So this line throws the null pointer:
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> skipDefaultTags =
>> Boolean.parseBoolean(config.read("filter.forcedTracing.skipDefaultTags",
>> "false"));
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> Anyone can help with this?
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>> Logs are attached.
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>>
>> >>>>>>
>>
>>