[RTC] Update for new OpenEJB 2.2

Dain Sundstrom
I have finished the work to update the openejb dead-2.2 branch to run
with Geronimo 1.2.  The dead-2.2 branch contains a major
rearchitecture of the OpenEJB container system which split the
deployment units from reusable container and this rearchitecture has
already been adopted in OpenEJB 3.  This work was done in the https://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/dain/openejb-2.2-merge
branch, and is largely composed of merges from the Geronimo dead-1.2
branch.

A patch for this change can be found in GERONIMO-12345, but the
attached patch is not expected work perfectly.  Any mismatches or
problems will be worked out during the final merge with trunk.  The
best way to test this change is to checkout and build the branch
directly.  The maven m:co goal should work to check out the https://
svn.codehaus.org/openejb/branches/dain-2.2-merge/merged branch from
openejb.  For those with tck access, there is a dain-openejb-2.2-
merge branch available for testing the tck.

Please, review this quickly so the branch doesn't drift too much.

Thanks in advance,

-dain

A quick history of this branch follows:

417321 Fixed openejb version number in project.properties
416533 Applied GERONIMO-1960 which verifies GBean references when the
final configuration data is created in a deployment context
416483 Fixed deployment plans to match newest openejb changes
416428 Fixed more plans
415721 Biggest change which updates the j2ee deployment context to
contain the transactionManager name amongst some smaller changes
415720 Update maven.xml to use new openejb module names
415225 Set svn:ignore on new interceptor module
415224 svn merge -r 378403:378404 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
geronimo/trunk@378404
415222 svn merge -r 378358:378359 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
geronimo/trunk@378359
415220 svn merge -r 378346:378347 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
geronimo/trunk@378347
415218 svn merge -r 378182:378183 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
geronimo/trunk@378183

Re: [RTC] Update for new OpenEJB 2.2

Alan Cabrera
Can you explain in more detail the rearchitecture that was done in this
update?  If this from openejb3 does that mean that we can deprecate
openejb3?

Regards,
Alan

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> I have finished the work to update the openejb dead-2.2 branch to run
> with Geronimo 1.2.  The dead-2.2 branch contains a major
> rearchitecture of the OpenEJB container system which split the
> deployment units from reusable container and this rearchitecture has
> already been adopted in OpenEJB 3.  This work was done in the
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/dain/openejb-2.2-merge
> branch, and is largely composed of merges from the Geronimo dead-1.2
> branch.
>
> A patch for this change can be found in GERONIMO-12345, but the
> attached patch is not expected work perfectly.  Any mismatches or
> problems will be worked out during the final merge with trunk.  The
> best way to test this change is to checkout and build the branch
> directly.  The maven m:co goal should work to check out the
> https://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/branches/dain-2.2-merge/merged branch
> from openejb.  For those with tck access, there is a
> dain-openejb-2.2-merge branch available for testing the tck.
>
> Please, review this quickly so the branch doesn't drift too much.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -dain
>

> A quick history of this branch follows:
>
> 417321 Fixed openejb version number in project.properties
> 416533 Applied GERONIMO-1960 which verifies GBean references when the
> final configuration data is created in a deployment context
> 416483 Fixed deployment plans to match newest openejb changes
> 416428 Fixed more plans
> 415721 Biggest change which updates the j2ee deployment context to
> contain the transactionManager name amongst some smaller changes
> 415720 Update maven.xml to use new openejb module names
> 415225 Set svn:ignore on new interceptor module
> 415224 svn merge -r 378403:378404
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk@378404
> 415222 svn merge -r 378358:378359
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk@378359
> 415220 svn merge -r 378346:378347
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk@378347
> 415218 svn merge -r 378182:378183
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk@378183

Re: [RTC] Update for new OpenEJB 2.2

Jacek Laskowski
On 6/27/06, Dain Sundstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A patch for this change can be found in GERONIMO-12345, but the
> attached patch is not expected work perfectly.  Any mismatches or
> problems will be worked out during the final merge with trunk.

Hi Dain,

It had really worried me as what you said implies that we won't be
able to verify whether what has been voted is really what has been
applied to trunk. Before I spend time applying the patch, would you
comment on the problems you might've encountered which ended up as
'not expected work perfectly'.

Other than that I'm awaiting a response to Alan's question about
OpenEJB 3 being considered deprecated.

> -dain

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: Re: [RTC] Update for new OpenEJB 2.2

On Jun 26, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Can you explain in more detail the rearchitecture that was done in
> this update?  If this from openejb3 does that mean that we can
> deprecate openejb3?

No, you misunderstand.  Just about December/January/February OpenEJB
1 trunk and 2 trunk were realigned (2 more than 1), then both were
used as the basis for the openejb3 code which will deprecate all
prior openejb versions (finally!).  The trick is Geronimo decided to
ditch it's trunk (1.2) around April and OpenEJB 2 and 3 are still
using it.  In short this "patch" unscrews us :)  It merges the old G
1.2 features back into new G 1.2 so we can restore OpenEJB 2.2 and
3.x will compile again.

-David

David Blevins wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> Can you explain in more detail the rearchitecture that was done in
>> this update?  If this from openejb3 does that mean that we can
>> deprecate openejb3?
>
> No, you misunderstand.  Just about December/January/February OpenEJB 1
> trunk and 2 trunk were realigned (2 more than 1), then both were used
> as the basis for the openejb3 code which will deprecate all prior
> openejb versions (finally!).  The trick is Geronimo decided to ditch
> it's trunk (1.2) around April and OpenEJB 2 and 3 are still using it.
> In short this "patch" unscrews us :)  It merges the old G 1.2 features
> back into new G 1.2 so we can restore OpenEJB 2.2 and 3.x will compile
> again.

Thanks for explaining this.  I'll test the patch tonight.

Regards,
Alan