RE: [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

fabian-a.richter
Like this:
https://gist.github.com/TrustedGate/f670c079088404f42d69aabd409de7c4 ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Louis Monteiro <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2018 8:38 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: *EXT* [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

Hi,

Around SOAP, there are a couple of possible optimizations.
What would be helpful is to get into the docker container when you are over
the linear zone and get a jstack of the tomee process.
Post it here or in gist and put the link here.

Jean-Louis

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 8:27 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>

> we have been running some performance tests with our application
> (TomEE
> 7.0.5 based) and are stuck:
>

> Until 4 core VMs (or docker containers) we see a linear increase in
> performance, which is great and was anticipated.
>

> But after 4 cores, we barely get 10% (with 8 cores) more performance
> of the system.
>

> We used jmeter based load tests (SOAP calls) with 10/20/30/40 and 100
> threads, VM to VM via 1gbit, and 4 GB of RAM.
>

> We played around with session bean pool sizes (min set to thread
> count, max to 1000) and stateful bean pool settings and also with jvm
> heap size and GC parameters, to no avail.
>

> Are there any more performance parameters we can toy around with in
> TomEE or Tomcat that you can recommend?
>

> Thank you and best
>
> Fabian

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Yes exactly.

Were you injecting anything when you took the jstack?
It seems that only one thread is working.

We would need you to do it when you are injecting.
If you could also give us the CPU usage when you take the jstack that'd be
great.
You can run `vmstat 5` on another terminal so you can see what's going on.

You are using Stateless Session beans. Any reason you aren't using a plain
singleton?
With Singleton (Lock.READ) there is no pooling involved, so you don't have
anything to configure or tune.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:53 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Like this:
> https://gist.github.com/TrustedGate/f670c079088404f42d69aabd409de7c4 ?

You were right, my student did something wrong with the first thread dump, I
uploaded a correct one:
https://gist.github.com/TrustedGate/83781f05950f245a3bfd2388c5bfd7ab

Also at the bottom there is a vmstat result, its definitely multithreaded :)

Re: [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Fabian,

a few pointers and directions to check:

1. Ensure to test with securerandom.source=/dev/./urandom since you use a
lot of crypto
2. You use hsqldb which is known to not scale very well with the
concurrency, maybe switch to another database with a correctly configured
connection pool
3. You use DataBaseRealm which does a lookup of the connection for each
authentication which is synchronized and has no cache on the password
hashes so it can be slow at runtime

Personally i would start by using a fast realm (even if it always says
"ok") to validate this hypothesis before investigating other cases.