RE: [Newsletter] Re: [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

RE: [Newsletter] Re: [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

fabian-a.richter
Injecting? The jmeter was running during the threaddump. What do you mean with
injecting?

Is Singleton (Lock.READ) not even more of a bottleneck when it comes to
multiple concurrent requests? IIRC we tried Singleton before, but not sure
what the reason was why we went with @Stateless...

Re: [Newsletter] Re: [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Ah ok. Well I was asking if you were injecting when you took the thread
dump because from a server point of view I saw only one thread working.
If you were using jmeter with multiple virtual users, I was expecting to
see more than one thread working.

I'll double check.

@Singleton is by default using Lock WRITE which prevents multiple threads
to access the singleton.
If you don't need synchronization or if your code is thread safe (no
instance variables, etc). You can safely use @Singleton with Lock READ
which will be faster than @Stateless because there is no pool involved. And
again, there is no tuning to do

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Injecting? The jmeter was running during the threaddump. What do you mean
> with
> injecting?
>
> Is Singleton (Lock.READ) not even more of a bottleneck when it comes to
> multiple concurrent requests? IIRC we tried Singleton before, but not sure
> what the reason was why we went with @Stateless...

Mark Struberg-2
Are you using @Singleton with a locking scenario or are all methods Read?
In that case you could possibly replace that @Singleton with a CDI @ApplicationScoped bean?

Of course with @Transactional if you make use of that, etc.
Would probably be worth a try.

LieGrue,
strub

> Injecting? The jmeter was running during the threaddump. What do you mean with
> injecting?
>
> Is Singleton (Lock.READ) not even more of a bottleneck when it comes to
> multiple concurrent requests? IIRC we tried Singleton before, but not sure
> what the reason was why we went with @Stateless...

Hi Romain,

thank you so much for your detailed feedback. After I created the second threaddump I had a look into it myself and came to the same conclusions. We will investigate further, and if there are any more TomEE related performance issues, I will get back in contact.

Thanks all for the replies!

Best
Fabian

Re: [Newsletter] Re: [Newsletter] Re: TomEE Performance

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
You are welcome.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 2:17 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Romain,
>
> thank you so much for your detailed feedback. After I created the second
> threaddump I had a look into it myself and came to the same conclusions. We
> will investigate further, and if there are any more TomEE related
> performance issues, I will get back in contact.
>
> Thanks all for the replies!
>
> Best
> Fabian

exabrial12
Hey one more note, if you're on a virtualized Linux system and having the
random pool as a bottleneck, take a look at http://www.issihosts.com/haveged.
This is a pretty simple way to increase the entropy pool system-wide and
has solved several issues for me in the past. Be sure to read the fine
print of course for your particular business case.

Cheers!

--
Jonathan | [hidden email]
Pessimists, see a jar as half empty. Optimists, in contrast, see it as half