OpenEJB 3 and Cayenne JPA

Hey Andrus,

What's the status of the Cayenne JPA stuff?  Are there any parts
implementing JPA interfaces which are more or less usable at the moment?

I'm completely insane of course, but I think if i work all night and
day for the next few weeks I can have something for people to play
around with by JavaOne.  You up for the challenge?

At the moment I'm poking at the start of some deployment code and
it's going quite well.  By the weekend we should see some magic there
and I'll be looking line up some more integration stuff, then I'll be
working more on the 2.x container integration.  So there is like a
week or two gap till I'd be looking for some JPA functionality to
integrate -- figured I'd shoot this off and see if you might be able
to get something JPA wise in Cayenne by then.

Re: OpenEJB 3 and Cayenne JPA

Andrus Adamchik
Hi David,

Let's do it!

Currently a JPA EntityManager is a thin wrapper around Cayenne so it
allows to use the JPA API, but underneath it only supports Cayenne
mapping. EJB QL queries are yet unsupported. Jeff Genender and Bill
Dudney are looking at class enhancers, annotations and the mapping.
I'll check on cayenne-dev list where we stand on that.

As far as container integration, we can start right away, as provider
part is there. Here is provider M2 project info:

http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/JPA+Development+Setup

I guess once we nail down the integration part, we can continue to
work in parallel and get in as many features as possible.

Andrus

On Apr 12, 2006, at 1:13 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Let's do it!

Great!

> Currently a JPA EntityManager is a thin wrapper around Cayenne so
> it allows to use the JPA API, but underneath it only supports
> Cayenne mapping. EJB QL queries are yet unsupported. Jeff Genender
> and Bill Dudney are looking at class enhancers, annotations and the
> mapping. I'll check on cayenne-dev list where we stand on that.

Cool.  That'd be the stuff we need.  Especially some form of mapping.

> As far as container integration, we can start right away, as
> provider part is there. Here is provider M2 project info:
>
> http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/JPA+Development+Setup
>
> I guess once we nail down the integration part, we can continue to
> work in parallel and get in as many features as possible.

I still need a week or two to nail down our deployment and work
toward the JPA side of things.  Once that occurs it should be fairly
easy to add in support for at least application-managed EntityManagers.

For a simple goal, I'd like to take this app which is just one
stateless session bean and one CMP and turn it into an EJB 3 style
session bean with an new JPA style entity.

http://demo1.openejb.org/moviefun/index.jsp
(source: http://cvs.openejb.org/viewrep/openejb/tags/v1_0/openejb1/
examples/moviefun/src/java/org/acme/movie)

Would be nice to make that example a tad more involved with a few
more entities, but that app safely encompasses a basic functionality
we need: a jsp talking to a session bean talking to an entity.

JavaOne MovieFun!

-David

> Andrus
>

> On Apr 11, 2006, at 11:51 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>> Hey Andrus,
>>
>> What's the status of the Cayenne JPA stuff?  Are there any parts
>> implementing JPA interfaces which are more or less usable at the
>> moment?
>>
>> I'm completely insane of course, but I think if i work all night
>> and day for the next few weeks I can have something for people to
>> play around with by JavaOne.  You up for the challenge?
>>
>> At the moment I'm poking at the start of some deployment code and
>> it's going quite well.  By the weekend we should see some magic
>> there and I'll be looking line up some more integration stuff,
>> then I'll be working more on the 2.x container integration.  So
>> there is like a week or two gap till I'd be looking for some JPA
>> functionality to integrate -- figured I'd shoot this off and see
>> if you might be able to get something JPA wise in Cayenne by then.
>>
>> -David

Re: OpenEJB 3 and Cayenne JPA

Andrus Adamchik
Cool. I'll play with the example, remapping it in Cayenne. Like I
said, at least Cayenne-style mapping will definitely work, but I am
optimistic about us supporting JPA variant as well by JavaOne.

Andrus

On Apr 12, 2006, at 2:12 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> For a simple goal, I'd like to take this app which is just one
> stateless session bean and one CMP and turn it into an EJB 3 style
> session bean with an new JPA style entity.
>
> http://demo1.openejb.org/moviefun/index.jsp
> (source: http://cvs.openejb.org/viewrep/openejb/tags/v1_0/openejb1/
> examples/moviefun/src/java/org/acme/movie)
>
> Would be nice to make that example a tad more involved with a few
> more entities, but that app safely encompasses a basic
> functionality we need: a jsp talking to a session bean talking to
> an entity.

Re: OpenEJB 3 and Cayenne JPA

Andrus Adamchik
Hi David,

So how is it going on your end?

I finished mapping loaders from both XML and annotations (but not yet
spec-compliant merging of the two). Now I am half way done with the
"bridge" between JPA and Cayenne mapping. I will be on the road for
the next few days, but I hope to finish this work over the weekend.
Once this is done, we'll be able to persist arbitrary annotated
objects (the only Cayenne artifact in them being a special superclass
- class enhancer is still to be done).

The next step I am planning is a JPA class generation template, so
that we can use CayenneModeler for mapping and generation of JPA-
annotated objects. This should significantly simplify DB reverse
engineering and mapping process.

Andrus

On Apr 12, 2006, at 2:12 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> I still need a week or two to nail down our deployment and work
> toward the JPA side of things.  Once that occurs it should be
> fairly easy to add in support for at least application-managed
> EntityManagers.
>
> For a simple goal, I'd like to take this app which is just one
> stateless session bean and one CMP and turn it into an EJB 3 style
> session bean with an new JPA style entity.
>
> http://demo1.openejb.org/moviefun/index.jsp
> (source: http://cvs.openejb.org/viewrep/openejb/tags/v1_0/openejb1/
> examples/moviefun/src/java/org/acme/movie)
>
> Would be nice to make that example a tad more involved with a few
> more entities, but that app safely encompasses a basic
> functionality we need: a jsp talking to a session bean talking to
> an entity.
>
> JavaOne MovieFun!

Re: OpenEJB 3 and Cayenne JPA

Andrus Adamchik
BTW, Cayenne JPA code is already transfered to Apache repo, making it
easier for non-Cayenne-committers to poke around:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/cayenne/trunk/

Andrus