OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

Bjorn Danielsson
Is there an OpenEJB 3.2 binary snapshot available anywhere?

What I am looking for specifically is an OpenEJB plugin that works
with Tomcat 6.0.29 and which has a working include/exclude mechanism
for annotation scanning.

The exclude mechanism doesn't seem to work in the 3.1.4 plugin, and
when I tried a 4.0.0 snapshot it didn't play along with Tomcat 6.0.29,
because calls were made to a method that only exists in Tomcat 7:
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.addApplicationEventListener.

I also tried to compile 3.2 from the Subversion branch, but I ran
into problems with broken openwebbeans dependencies which I couldn't
figure out how to fix.

I am trying to integrate my own EJB-based code with a third-party
application that runs on Tomcat 6.0.29, so using Tomcat 7 is not
an option at the moment. The plugin from the OpenEJB 3.1.4 release
actually works, but I need to add an extra gig of RAM to the server
just in order to get through the annotation-scanning phase, which
even then takes quite a long time.

Running my EJBs in the standalone container in its own JVM works
too of course, but for production it would be much nicer to have
everything deployed in Tomcat.

Björn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Re: OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

Marius Kruger
On 29 August 2011 17:13, Bjorn Danielsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there an OpenEJB 3.2 binary snapshot available anywhere?

If you use maven the easiest is to add the following repository:
http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/

You can also browse that url to see all the available binaries.

I didn't see a 3.2-SNAPSHOT for tomee there,
I just use embedded openejb in tomcat and jetty.

<>< Marius ><>

Re: OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

be careful!
The right version is 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT (don't forget the -0)
Actually, it was an error to publish a 3.2-SNAPSHOT and as you may know,
Maven does not allow use to remove already published artifacts.

Jean-Louis

Marius Kruger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 17:13, Bjorn Danielsson
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there an OpenEJB 3.2 binary snapshot available anywhere?
>
> If you use maven the easiest is to add the following repository:
> http://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/
>
> You can also browse that url to see all the available binaries.

Thanks! I already found a 4.0.0 binary there, but no 3.2.x.
I did find a POM file there: openejb-3.2.0-20110819.150103-5.pom.

Can I use that to compile it from some working Subversion revision?
What would be the magic mvn command to accomplish that?

Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Re: OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

Adding the snapshot repository and specifying 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT instead of
3.2-SNAPSHOT is enough.
Then, the magic will appear and Maven will provide you with the latest
snapshot deployed.

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adding the snapshot repository and specifying 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT instead of
> 3.2-SNAPSHOT is enough.
> Then, the magic will appear and Maven will provide you with the latest
> snapshot deployed.

The only thing that 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT provides is the pom file. I was
wondering if there is a way to automatically download and compile
everything given that pom file. I tried this:

mvn -f openejb-3.2.0-20110819.150103-5.pom install

but that didn't work (missing child modules). And since I don't
have a PhD in Mavenology, I gave up.

I also tried replacing the string 3.2-SNAPSHOT with 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT
in all 132 XML files in the openejb-3.2.x-TomcatIntegration branch
and then compiling with mvn, but that resulted in exactly the same
broken openwebbeans depencies as I mentioned in my earlier mail on
Aug 29.

And before all this I deleted my ~/.m2 and installed a profile
with the snapshot repository to ${maven.home}/conf/settings.xml
and verified that the profile is active.

So what am I doing wrong?

Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Re: OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

Marius Kruger
Its probably too late but if you want to build openejb 3.2.x should be
able to check it out from svn:
svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openejb/branches/openejb-3.2.x/
and in theory build it :
cd openejb-3.2.x
mvn clean install -DskipTests

I've been having some problems to do this because of missing dependencies too,
but IMHO if that happens it is a bug and should be fixed.

I have also had problems with "broken openwebbeans dependencies"

And at the moment I get:
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project openejb-itests-client: Could
not resolve dependencies for project
org.apache.openejb:openejb-itests-client:jar:3.2.0-SNAPSHOT: Could not
find artifact org.apache.openejb:javaee-api-embedded:jar:6.0-20110818.204305-18

I assume that the guys are more focussed on the 4.0.0 release ATM and
don't really get around to 3.2.0.

Re: OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

Bjorn Danielsson
Marius Kruger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I assume that the guys are more focussed on the 4.0.0 release ATM and
> don't really get around to 3.2.0.

Yes, that is my impression too when I read the "dev" mailing list
archives. The 3.2.x branch seems to be broken. But I thought maybe
it's possible to backport the annotation scanning fixes to 3.1.4?
And then I noticed that the 3.1.x branch didn't end with the 3.1.4
release. There are commits in that branch as late as March 2011.

So I tried checking out and compiling the latest revision from
the 3.1.x branch. And it solved my problem completely. It has the
exclude/include mechanism that I needed for annotation scanning,
and it provides a Tomcat plugin that works with Tomcat 6.0.29,
which is the Tomcat version I am constrained to use by the huge
third-party application I am integrating my EJB code into.

The 3.1.x binaries I compiled called themselves 3.1.5-SNAPSHOT.
Maven aborted after 40 minutes due to a missing file while running
some test, but the compilation itself got through without errors,
and the resulting openejb.war seems to work perfectly.

Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Re: OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

David Blevins-2

On Sep 20, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Bjorn Danielsson wrote:

> Marius Kruger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I assume that the guys are more focussed on the 4.0.0 release ATM and
>> don't really get around to 3.2.0.
>
> Yes, that is my impression too when I read the "dev" mailing list
> archives. The 3.2.x branch seems to be broken.

True on both counts.  Though a more revealing and accurate description is probably; most the committers are busy with their day jobs and the small number of active people are stretched pretty thin.  I know I'm getting about 4hrs of sleep a night.

We could use more people.

Would be a dream come true to see someone from the community rise up and just sort of take control of all the build processes -- or lack there of :)

They'd need an Amazon wishlist though as no doubt they'd get some "thank you"s from me and maybe others.

Anyway, I spent a couple hours last night and got 3.2 build.  I didn't managed to get a 'mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true' to work.  Some help with that would be amazing.

I pushed some binaries as well:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/3.2.0-SNAPSHOT/apache-tomee-3.2.0-20110920.233417-1.zip
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/openejb-tomcat-webapp/3.2.0-SNAPSHOT/openejb-tomcat-webapp-3.2.0-20110920.233148-1.war

-David

On 21 September 2011 02:40, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I assume that the guys are more focussed on the 4.0.0 release ATM and
>>> don't really get around to 3.2.0.
>>
>> Yes, that is my impression too when I read the "dev" mailing list
>> archives. The 3.2.x branch seems to be broken.
>
> True on both counts.  Though a more revealing and accurate description is probably; most the committers are busy with their day jobs and the small number of active people are stretched pretty thin.  I know I'm getting about 4hrs of sleep a night.

shame man, yeah that was about as much as I got lastnight too.
I do understand and don't blame anyone, but I also don't really know
where to start helping to get 3.2 out.

> I pushed some binaries as well:

thx!
will try now..

<>< Marius ><>

On Sep 21, 2011, at 5:29 AM, Marius Kruger wrote:

>>> Yes, that is my impression too when I read the "dev" mailing list
>>> archives. The 3.2.x branch seems to be broken.
>>
>> True on both counts.  Though a more revealing and accurate description is probably; most the committers are busy with their day jobs and the small number of active people are stretched pretty thin.  I know I'm getting about 4hrs of sleep a night.
>
> shame man, yeah that was about as much as I got lastnight too.
> I do understand and don't blame anyone, but I also don't really know
> where to start helping to get 3.2 out.

It's all by choice, so I can't really complain :)  Great progress is being made, so it's worth it :)

Thanks for offering to help, I'll followup on your dev list post!

Re: OpenEJB 3.2 availability question

Bjorn Danielsson
David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyway, I spent a couple hours last night and got 3.2 build.
> I didn't managed to get a 'mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true'
> to work.  Some help with that would be amazing.
>
> I pushed some binaries as well:

Many thanks for this!

I just confirmed that the new 3.2.0 snapshot works in my project,
both standalone and the Tomcat war plugin. The only change needed
was to update the api jars in my client. Works like a charm now.
Thanks once again.

I wish I could help improve the build processes, but Maven and I
don't get along very well :-(

Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

On Sep 22, 2011, at 4:37 AM, Bjorn Danielsson wrote:

> David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, I spent a couple hours last night and got 3.2 build.
>> I didn't managed to get a 'mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true'
>> to work.  Some help with that would be amazing.
>>
>> I pushed some binaries as well:
>
> Many thanks for this!
>
> I just confirmed that the new 3.2.0 snapshot works in my project,
> both standalone and the Tomcat war plugin. The only change needed
> was to update the api jars in my client. Works like a charm now.
> Thanks once again.
>
> I wish I could help improve the build processes, but Maven and I
> don't get along very well :-(

No worries :)  Pounding on the snapshot binaries and confirming that things do work well is actually pretty helpful.

Thank you!

-David