Metrics question

jgallimore
Apologies if this is a stupid question... but if I extract the MicroProfile
flavor of TomEE, and try and do `curl http://localhost:8080/metrics` -
should I get some built in basic metric data back?

Re: Metrics question

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Yes you should get vendor, system and app name space

Le lun. 7 janv. 2019 à 12:03, Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Apologies if this is a stupid question... but if I extract the MicroProfile
> flavor of TomEE, and try and do `curl http://localhost:8080/metrics`
> <http://localhost:8080/metrics> -
> should I get some built in basic metric data back?
>
> Thanks

Re: Metrics question

jgallimore
Ah right. It isn't working for me on a build of master. All I've done is
build it, extract the tar.gz for MicroProfile, run catalina.sh run, and try
the curl command I mentioned. No other customization, no additional apps
deployed.

I'm not sure if I have missed a step, or a switch. Looking at the TCK now
to see if there is something I have missed. If anyone knows anything
obvious, please let me know!

Jon

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes you should get vendor, system and app name space
>
> Le lun. 7 janv. 2019 à 12:03, Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Apologies if this is a stupid question... but if I extract the
> MicroProfile
> > flavor of TomEE, and try and do `curl http://localhost:8080/metrics`
> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> > <http://localhost:8080/metrics> -
> > should I get some built in basic metric data back?
> >
> > Thanks

Re: Metrics question

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
I used it and demoed it at Devoxx MA. So something might have changed if it
does not work now.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah right. It isn't working for me on a build of master. All I've done is
> build it, extract the tar.gz for MicroProfile, run catalina.sh run, and try
> the curl command I mentioned. No other customization, no additional apps
> deployed.
>
> I'm not sure if I have missed a step, or a switch. Looking at the TCK now
> to see if there is something I have missed. If anyone knows anything
> obvious, please let me know!
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes you should get vendor, system and app name space
> >
> > Le lun. 7 janv. 2019 à 12:03, Jonathan Gallimore <
> > [hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > > Apologies if this is a stupid question... but if I extract the
> > MicroProfile
> > > flavor of TomEE, and try and do `curl http://localhost:8080/metrics`
> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> > <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> > > <http://localhost:8080/metrics> -
> > > should I get some built in basic metric data back?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Jon

Re: Metrics question

I'll have a look after lunch

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah right. It isn't working for me on a build of master. All I've done is
> build it, extract the tar.gz for MicroProfile, run catalina.sh run, and try
> the curl command I mentioned. No other customization, no additional apps
> deployed.
>
> I'm not sure if I have missed a step, or a switch. Looking at the TCK now
> to see if there is something I have missed. If anyone knows anything
> obvious, please let me know!
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes you should get vendor, system and app name space
> >
> > Le lun. 7 janv. 2019 à 12:03, Jonathan Gallimore <
> > [hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > > Apologies if this is a stupid question... but if I extract the
> > MicroProfile
> > > flavor of TomEE, and try and do `curl http://localhost:8080/metrics`
> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> > <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> > > <http://localhost:8080/metrics> -
> > > should I get some built in basic metric data back?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Jon

Re: Metrics question

jgallimore
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll run the tests and post my output.

Jon

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:12 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll have a look after lunch
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ah right. It isn't working for me on a build of master. All I've done is
> > build it, extract the tar.gz for MicroProfile, run catalina.sh run, and
> try
> > the curl command I mentioned. No other customization, no additional apps
> > deployed.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I have missed a step, or a switch. Looking at the TCK now
> > to see if there is something I have missed. If anyone knows anything
> > obvious, please let me know!
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes you should get vendor, system and app name space

> > > MicroProfile
> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> > <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> > > <http://localhost:8080/metrics>

Re: Metrics question

Roberto Cortez
I believe it never worked that way. It always required to have an app deployed.

> On 7 Jan 2019, at 11:12, Jean-Louis Monteiro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'll have a look after lunch
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>

> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ah right. It isn't working for me on a build of master. All I've done is
>> build it, extract the tar.gz for MicroProfile, run catalina.sh run, and try
>> the curl command I mentioned. No other customization, no additional apps
>> deployed.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I have missed a step, or a switch. Looking at the TCK now
>> to see if there is something I have missed. If anyone knows anything
>> obvious, please let me know!
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:05 AM Jean-Louis Monteiro <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes you should get vendor, system and app name space

>>> MicroProfile
>> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
>>> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>

Re: Metrics question

jgallimore
Even with one of the metrics samples deployed, I still get a 404 from
http://localhost:8080/metrics.

Jon

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I believe it never worked that way. It always required to have an app
> deployed.
>
> > On 7 Jan 2019, at 11:12, Jean-Louis Monteiro <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'll have a look after lunch
> > --
> > Jean-Louis Monteiro
> > http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> > http://www.tomitribe.com
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM Jonathan Gallimore <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Ah right. It isn't working for me on a build of master. All I've done is
> >> build it, extract the tar.gz for MicroProfile, run catalina.sh run, and
> try
> >> the curl command I mentioned. No other customization, no additional apps
> >> deployed.
> >>
> >> I'm not sure if I have missed a step, or a switch. Looking at the TCK
> now
> >> to see if there is something I have missed. If anyone knows anything
> >> obvious, please let me know!
> >>
> >> Jon

> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>
> >> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>

Re: Metrics question

jgallimore
This: `curl -v
http://localhost:8080/mp-metrics-counted-8.0.0-SNAPSHOT/metrics` - does
work and includes both the base and application metrics.

Looking through the tests in microprofile-metrics-api-tck and
microprofile-metrics-rest-tck, it looks like only accessing metrics via a
CDI enabled application is actually tested. Should accessing /metrics work?
From my brief reading of the spec, it feels like it should work. There's a
fairly obvious conflict with the ROOT application, of course. Adding an
empty beans.xml and setting metadata-complete to "false" in web.xml for the
ROOT app did make it work (although the output comes back as JSON as
opposed to prometheus). Removing the ROOT app didn't work.

My reading of §2.3 of the spec here:
https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/releases/download/1.0.2-RC2/metrics_spec.pdf
does suggest that /metrics should work, but I'd be interested in what
others think.

Next question: is there a way that one could/should go about adding a
vendor specific metric? I'd like to have a go at that.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Even with one of the metrics samples deployed, I still get a 404 from
> http://localhost:8080/metrics.
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I believe it never worked that way. It always required to have an app
>> deployed.
>>
>> > On 7 Jan 2019, at 11:12, Jean-Louis Monteiro <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'll have a look after lunch
>> > --
>> > Jean-Louis Monteiro
>> > http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
>> > http://www.tomitribe.com

>> is
>> and try
>> apps

>> now

>> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>

Re: Metrics question

Roberto Cortez
The spec does not seem to be clear in that regard, maybe on purpose.

It if was supposed to work that way, that should be included in the TCK. I find it hard to believe that it was not included, because someone forgot to add it…

On the other hand, I can see the possible conflicts that it would cause on the "/" context, and even considering that nothing is stopping you to deploy your own app to "/“. Maybe we need to ask in the MP list about this..

I did found this on the MP Metrics project:
https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/issues/65 <https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/issues/65>

Cheers,
Roberto

> On 7 Jan 2019, at 11:48, Jonathan Gallimore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This: `curl -v
> http://localhost:8080/mp-metrics-counted-8.0.0-SNAPSHOT/metrics` - does
> work and includes both the base and application metrics.
>
> Looking through the tests in microprofile-metrics-api-tck and
> microprofile-metrics-rest-tck, it looks like only accessing metrics via a
> CDI enabled application is actually tested. Should accessing /metrics work?
> From my brief reading of the spec, it feels like it should work. There's a
> fairly obvious conflict with the ROOT application, of course. Adding an
> empty beans.xml and setting metadata-complete to "false" in web.xml for the
> ROOT app did make it work (although the output comes back as JSON as
> opposed to prometheus). Removing the ROOT app didn't work.
>
> My reading of §2.3 of the spec here:
> https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/releases/download/1.0.2-RC2/metrics_spec.pdf
> does suggest that /metrics should work, but I'd be interested in what
> others think.
>
> Next question: is there a way that one could/should go about adding a
> vendor specific metric? I'd like to have a go at that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
>
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Even with one of the metrics samples deployed, I still get a 404 from
>> http://localhost:8080/metrics.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe it never worked that way. It always required to have an app
>>> deployed.

>>> is
>>> and try
>>> apps

>>> now

>>> <http://localhost:8080/metrics>

Re: Metrics question

jgallimore
Thanks Roberto.

One more question - metrics-wise, is there any gluecode, or is the
implementation jar just added to lib/ and picked up through scanning?

Jon

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 12:34 PM Roberto Cortez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The spec does not seem to be clear in that regard, maybe on purpose.
>
> It if was supposed to work that way, that should be included in the TCK. I
> find it hard to believe that it was not included, because someone forgot to
> add it…
>
> On the other hand, I can see the possible conflicts that it would cause on
> the "/" context, and even considering that nothing is stopping you to
> deploy your own app to "/“. Maybe we need to ask in the MP list about this..
>
> I did found this on the MP Metrics project:
> https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/issues/65 <
> https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/issues/65>
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto
>
> > On 7 Jan 2019, at 11:48, Jonathan Gallimore <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > This: `curl -v
> > http://localhost:8080/mp-metrics-counted-8.0.0-SNAPSHOT/metrics`
> <http://localhost:8080/mp-metrics-counted-8.0.0-SNAPSHOT/metrics> - does
> > work and includes both the base and application metrics.
> >
> > Looking through the tests in microprofile-metrics-api-tck and
> > microprofile-metrics-rest-tck, it looks like only accessing metrics via a
> > CDI enabled application is actually tested. Should accessing /metrics
> work?
> > From my brief reading of the spec, it feels like it should work. There's
> > fairly obvious conflict with the ROOT application, of course. Adding an
> > empty beans.xml and setting metadata-complete to "false" in web.xml for
> the
> > ROOT app did make it work (although the output comes back as JSON as
> > opposed to prometheus). Removing the ROOT app didn't work.
> >
> > My reading of §2.3 of the spec here:
> >
> https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-metrics/releases/download/1.0.2-RC2/metrics_spec.pdf
> > does suggest that /metrics should work, but I'd be interested in what
> > others think.
> >
> > Next question: is there a way that one could/should go about adding a
> > vendor specific metric? I'd like to have a go at that.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM Jonathan Gallimore <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Even with one of the metrics samples deployed, I still get a 404 from
> >> http://localhost:8080/metrics.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>
> >> On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM Roberto Cortez
> <[hidden email]>

> [hidden email]>

> http://localhost:8080/metrics` <http://localhost:8080/metrics>

Re: Metrics question