Looking towards graduation

Brett Porter-2
Hi folks,

Over recent times, as a mentor, there's not been a whole lot to do
around here - things are ticking along just fine on their own - so I
started thinking about when it might be appropriate to graduate from
the incubator. The status file lists that all of the early pre-
requisites for graduation are complete, and with discussions about
putting a release together things are coming along nicely.

Does anyone have some thoughts on a good time to consider this?

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Looking towards graduation

Jason Dillon
Get your capes and hats ordered now... is there going to be a
gradnight party so we can all get hammered afterwards too?

--jason

On Mar 21, 2007, at 6:28 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Over recent times, as a mentor, there's not been a whole lot to do
> around here - things are ticking along just fine on their own - so
> I started thinking about when it might be appropriate to graduate
> from the incubator. The status file lists that all of the early pre-
> requisites for graduation are complete, and with discussions about
> putting a release together things are coming along nicely.
>
> Does anyone have some thoughts on a good time to consider this?
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Re: Looking towards graduation

Jeff Genender-2
Brett,

This would be really awesome. Do we have some milestones we need to pass
additionally?

I would be happy to begin discussing this now.

Jeff

Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Over recent times, as a mentor, there's not been a whole lot to do
> around here - things are ticking along just fine on their own - so I
> started thinking about when it might be appropriate to graduate from the
> incubator. The status file lists that all of the early pre-requisites
> for graduation are complete, and with discussions about putting a
> release together things are coming along nicely.
>
> Does anyone have some thoughts on a good time to consider this?
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Re: Looking towards graduation

On Mar 21, 2007, at 6:28 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Over recent times, as a mentor, there's not been a whole lot to do
> around here - things are ticking along just fine on their own - so
> I started thinking about when it might be appropriate to graduate
> from the incubator. The status file lists that all of the early pre-
> requisites for graduation are complete, and with discussions about
> putting a release together things are coming along nicely.
>
> Does anyone have some thoughts on a good time to consider this?

I guess now is as good a time as any to consider it.  If there's
something more we can learn by being in the Incubator, great.  If
not, that's great too.

Incubation for us really hasn't been any sort of burden, so I'm not
overly concerned about "getting out".

I mean, there isn't anything you have to do in the Incubator that you
don't have to keep doing after graduation, so it's business as usual
either way.

Re: Looking towards graduation

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Hi All...

Sorry for these questions, is there any extra workings we will do when we
are graduated from the incubator ??? And I want to know what we can do to be
graduated from the incubation ???
DBlevins, Regardless of these questions, I agree with you, if it is the time
to be graduated so why waiting, but if we need more time - which I doubt it
would be the case - so we need to investigate this more.

On 3/22/07, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 6:28 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Over recent times, as a mentor, there's not been a whole lot to do
> > around here - things are ticking along just fine on their own - so
> > I started thinking about when it might be appropriate to graduate
> > from the incubator. The status file lists that all of the early pre-
> > requisites for graduation are complete, and with discussions about
> > putting a release together things are coming along nicely.
> >
> > Does anyone have some thoughts on a good time to consider this?
>
> I guess now is as good a time as any to consider it.  If there's
> something more we can learn by being in the Incubator, great.  If
> not, that's great too.
>
> Incubation for us really hasn't been any sort of burden, so I'm not
> overly concerned about "getting out".
>
> I mean, there isn't anything you have to do in the Incubator that you
> don't have to keep doing after graduation, so it's business as usual
> either way.

- Mohammad Nour

Re: Looking towards graduation

Andrus Adamchik

On Mar 22, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:

> Sorry for these questions, is there any extra workings we will do
> when we
> are graduated from the incubator ???

Not really. What happens is that the project becomes fully self-
governed, without Incubator PMC oversight. An occasional ASF Board
Report is the only formal requirement. In fact once you are out of
the incubator, release procedure becomes more straightforward (only
the project PMC vote is required), as it is presumed that all IP
compliance issues were addressed and double/triple checked while in
Incubator.

> And I want to know what we can do to be graduated from the
> incubation ???

Roughly the procedure is this (assuming OpenEJB goes TLP):

* Incubation checklist must be complete: http://incubator.apache.org/
projects/openejb.html
* A graduation proposal in the form of a Board Resolution is drafted
to be presented for the vote, as described below.
* Graduation proposal is voted upon by the project community internally.
* Graduation proposal is voted upon by the incubator, with only
Incubator PMC member votes being binding.
* If the vote passes, it is taken to the ASF board that meets once a
month. Once the Board accepts it, the project becomes an official
Apache project.
* After that it is a matter of renaming the mailing lists and
adjusting other infrastructure to reflect the final project position
at Apache.

Andrus

Re: Looking towards graduation

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Thanks Andrus :)

- Mohammad Nour

On Mar 22, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
>
>> Sorry for these questions, is there any extra workings we will do
>> when we
>> are graduated from the incubator ???
>
> Not really. What happens is that the project becomes fully self-
> governed, without Incubator PMC oversight. An occasional ASF Board
> Report is the only formal requirement. In fact once you are out of
> the incubator, release procedure becomes more straightforward (only
> the project PMC vote is required), as it is presumed that all IP
> compliance issues were addressed and double/triple checked while in
> Incubator.
>
>> And I want to know what we can do to be graduated from the
>> incubation ???
>
> Roughly the procedure is this (assuming OpenEJB goes TLP):
>
> * Incubation checklist must be complete: http://
> incubator.apache.org/projects/openejb.html
> * A graduation proposal in the form of a Board Resolution is
> drafted to be presented for the vote, as described below.
> * Graduation proposal is voted upon by the project community
> internally.
> * Graduation proposal is voted upon by the incubator, with only
> Incubator PMC member votes being binding.
> * If the vote passes, it is taken to the ASF board that meets once
> a month. Once the Board accepts it, the project becomes an official
> Apache project.
> * After that it is a matter of renaming the mailing lists and
> adjusting other infrastructure to reflect the final project
> position at Apache.

Guess we need to start working on a Graduation Proposal.  Andrus, do
you have the Cayenne proposal handy that we could use as a reference?

Thanks for the info too!

Re: Looking towards graduation

khurram hanif

Hallo,

Please remove me from mailing list.

M Khurram
The only way to contorl or finish successfully "Think before it will happen, as when it will be happening you will not have time to Think"

From:  "Mohammad Nour El-Din" <[hidden email]>
To:  [hidden email]
Subject:  Re: Looking towards graduation
Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:12:14 +0200

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger Download today it's FREE!

Re: Looking towards graduation

Brett Porter-2
Khurram: one message was enough, thanks.

Removed from all openejb lists.

- Brett

On Mar 23, 2007, at 12:22 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Khurram: one message was enough, thanks.
>
> Removed from all openejb lists.

Tried to remove him earlier today through the moderator commands, but
it apparently didn't take.

Thanks, Brett.

-David

> On 23/03/2007, at 6:15 PM, khurram hanif wrote:
>
>> Hallo,
>>

>> Please remove me from mailing list.
>>

>> M Khurram
>> The only way to contorl or finish successfully "Think before it
>> will happen, as when it will be happening you will not have time
>> to Think"
>> From:  "Mohammad Nour El-Din" <[hidden email]>
>> To:  [hidden email]
>> Subject:  Re: Looking towards graduation
>> Date:  Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:12:14 +0200
>> >Hi All...
>> >
>> >Sorry for these questions, is there any extra workings we will do
>> >when we
>> >are graduated from the incubator ??? And I want to know what we can
>> >do to be
>> >graduated from the incubation ???
>> >DBlevins, Regardless of these questions, I agree with you, if it is
>> >the time
>> >to be graduated so why waiting, but if we need more time - which I
>> >doubt it
>> >would be the case - so we need to investigate this more.

>> >--
>> >Thanks
>> >- Mohammad Nour
>>
>> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger
>> Download today it's FREE!

Re: Looking towards graduation

manucet
This is great news!!  Do we plan to do the release before or after graduation?

Regards
Manu

On 3/23/07, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>

> > On Mar 22, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry for these questions, is there any extra workings we will do
> >> when we
> >> are graduated from the incubator ???
> >
> > Not really. What happens is that the project becomes fully self-
> > governed, without Incubator PMC oversight. An occasional ASF Board
> > Report is the only formal requirement. In fact once you are out of
> > the incubator, release procedure becomes more straightforward (only
> > the project PMC vote is required), as it is presumed that all IP
> > compliance issues were addressed and double/triple checked while in
> > Incubator.
> >
> >> And I want to know what we can do to be graduated from the
> >> incubation ???
> >
> > Roughly the procedure is this (assuming OpenEJB goes TLP):
> >
> > * Incubation checklist must be complete: http://
> > incubator.apache.org/projects/openejb.html
> > * A graduation proposal in the form of a Board Resolution is
> > drafted to be presented for the vote, as described below.
> > * Graduation proposal is voted upon by the project community
> > internally.
> > * Graduation proposal is voted upon by the incubator, with only
> > Incubator PMC member votes being binding.
> > * If the vote passes, it is taken to the ASF board that meets once
> > a month. Once the Board accepts it, the project becomes an official
> > Apache project.
> > * After that it is a matter of renaming the mailing lists and
> > adjusting other infrastructure to reflect the final project
> > position at Apache.
>
> Guess we need to start working on a Graduation Proposal.  Andrus, do
> you have the Cayenne proposal handy that we could use as a reference?
>
> Thanks for the info too!

Re: Looking towards graduation

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Good question Manu, but recalling the words of Andrus, IMHO I think it will
be better to release after graduation.

- Mohammad Nour

On Mar 22, 2007, at 6:44 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>

>> On Mar 22, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for these questions, is there any extra workings we will do
>>> when we
>>> are graduated from the incubator ???
>>
>> Not really. What happens is that the project becomes fully self-
>> governed, without Incubator PMC oversight. An occasional ASF Board
>> Report is the only formal requirement. In fact once you are out of
>> the incubator, release procedure becomes more straightforward
>> (only the project PMC vote is required), as it is presumed that
>> all IP compliance issues were addressed and double/triple checked
>> while in Incubator.
>>
>>> And I want to know what we can do to be graduated from the
>>> incubation ???
>>
>> Roughly the procedure is this (assuming OpenEJB goes TLP):
>>
>> * Incubation checklist must be complete: http://
>> incubator.apache.org/projects/openejb.html
>> * A graduation proposal in the form of a Board Resolution is
>> drafted to be presented for the vote, as described below.
>> * Graduation proposal is voted upon by the project community
>> internally.
>> * Graduation proposal is voted upon by the incubator, with only
>> Incubator PMC member votes being binding.
>> * If the vote passes, it is taken to the ASF board that meets once
>> a month. Once the Board accepts it, the project becomes an
>> official Apache project.
>> * After that it is a matter of renaming the mailing lists and
>> adjusting other infrastructure to reflect the final project
>> position at Apache.
>
> Guess we need to start working on a Graduation Proposal.  Andrus,
> do you have the Cayenne proposal handy that we could use as a
> reference?

Found the Cayenne proposal here:

Section C:  http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2006/
board_minutes_2006_12_20.txt

There's also some good info here too:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation#resolution

The first thing I noticed is that it seems the "initial members"
seems to only list the PMC people.  Is that basically right?

Second, do any of our Mentors wish to stay on after graduation?
Hoping for "yes", but I know Brett has already told me he's really
overcommitted.  Henri?  Jason?

I'll take a stab at drafting up a proposal and check it into svn or
something.

On Mar 28, 2007, at 4:41 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> The first thing I noticed is that it seems the "initial members"
> seems to only list the PMC people.  Is that basically right?
>
> Second, do any of our Mentors wish to stay on after graduation?
> Hoping for "yes", but I know Brett has already told me he's really
> overcommitted.  Henri?  Jason?
>
> I'll take a stab at drafting up a proposal and check it into svn or
> something.

Stab taken:  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openejb/trunk/
draft-charter.txt

Used the OFBiz and Cayenne charters as references, here they are:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2006/
board_minutes_2006_12_20.txt

Re: Looking towards graduation

Jacek Laskowski
On 3/29/07, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stab taken:  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openejb/trunk/
> draft-charter.txt

Thanks Dave! It's one the worst moments when one has to start from
scratch, and then it's so easy just to amend.

(I wonder why it's not in the Wiki, but either way's fine)

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of The Apache OpenEJB
Project: ...the names go...

Is this a question about PMC group or the committers? I don't see Manu
and Mohammad. Why?

Jacek

Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

On Mar 28, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On 3/29/07, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Stab taken:  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openejb/
>> trunk/
>> draft-charter.txt
>
> Thanks Dave! It's one the worst moments when one has to start from
> scratch, and then it's so easy just to amend.
>
> (I wonder why it's not in the Wiki, but either way's fine)
>
> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
> appointed to serve as the initial members of The Apache OpenEJB
> Project: ...the names go...
>
> Is this a question about PMC group or the committers? I don't see Manu
> and Mohammad. Why?

That's what I was asking here:

On Mar 28, 2007, at 4:41 PM, David Blevins wrote:
> The first thing I noticed is that it seems the "initial members"
> seems to only list the PMC people.  Is that basically right?
>
> Second, do any of our Mentors wish to stay on after graduation?
> Hoping for "yes", but I know Brett has already told me he's really
> overcommitted.  Henri?  Jason?

It seems to be the case in all the charters I've read so far.

Re: Looking towards graduation

Jacek Laskowski
On 3/29/07, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems to be the case in all the charters I've read so far.

So, let's set a precedent now and include them in the list. I don't
see a reason why they're out.

Jacek

Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Looking towards graduation

Rick McGuire
Is there a particular reason why I'm not on the list as well?

Rick

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On 3/29/07, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It seems to be the case in all the charters I've read so far.
>
> So, let's set a precedent now and include them in the list. I don't
> see a reason why they're out.
>
> Jacek

Re: Looking towards graduation

Brett Porter-2
The list is just a reflection of the current state of the project as
it stands today. It is the PPMC [1], which will become the PMC of the
project if accepted.

This is basically no change - everyone retains the same commit and
voting rights that they have now. And of course, once the project
graduates, people will still be added to the PMC over time.

Cheers,
Brett

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/incubator-
info.txt

On 30/03/2007, at 5:35 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> Is there a particular reason why I'm not on the list as well?
>
> Rick
>
> Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> On 3/29/07, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to be the case in all the charters I've read so far.
>>
>> So, let's set a precedent now and include them in the list. I don't
>> see a reason why they're out.
>>
>> Jacek

12