Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Jonathan S. Fisher
Just want to here some feedback on the parts everyone is *actually*
using... A list to glance off of is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Enterprise_Edition

Here's our list:

   - EJB3 (Only because of Transaction support)
   - JMS
   - JAX-RS
   - CDI / @Inject
   - JTA
   - Bean Validation
   - Servlets / Filters
   - JPA

Thanks,
-Jonathan

--
Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject
sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from
any computer.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

agumbrecht
All of the above. Looks like you're already in the right path.

Andy.

http://www.tomitribe.com - @AndyGeeDe - On a mobile device, and I have fat
fingers. Sorry for typos.

    --
    Andy Gumbrecht

    http://www.tomitribe.com
    agumbrecht@tomitribe.com
    https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

    TomEE treibt Tomitribe ! | http://tomee.apache.org

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

same + JSON-P + JBatch + (a bit shy but used it a bit) JCache

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> All of the above. Looks like you're already in the right path.
>
> Andy.
>
> http://www.tomitribe.com - @AndyGeeDe - On a mobile device, and I have fat
> fingers. Sorry for typos.
> On 8 Feb 2015 19:35, "Jonathan Fisher" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Just want to here some feedback on the parts everyone is *actually*
>> using... A list to glance off of is here:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Enterprise_Edition
>>
>> Here's our list:
>>
>>    - EJB3 (Only because of Transaction support)
>>    - JMS
>>    - JAX-RS
>>    - CDI / @Inject
>>    - JTA
>>    - Bean Validation
>>    - Servlets / Filters
>>    - JPA
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Jonathan
>>
>> --
>> Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
>> transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject
>> to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and
>> Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of the
>> individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
>> recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the
>> message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
>> penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the
>> sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from
>> any computer.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

yann.blazart@bycode.fr
All of the année too.

But EJB3 Not Only because of Transaction support

First we are forced to use JEE6, sadly ,
Second,  we have Mdb,  use of async methodes,  timer and scheduled,  and
@lock on @singleton and more of that

Ejb remote,  yes it is usefull.
Le 8 févr. 2015 19:41, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]> a écrit
:

> Hi
>
> same + JSON-P + JBatch + (a bit shy but used it a bit) JCache
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau
> http://www.tomitribe.com
> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
> https://github.com/rmannibucau

> > All of the above. Looks like you're already in the right path.
> >
> > Andy.
> >
> > http://www.tomitribe.com - @AndyGeeDe - On a mobile device, and I have
> fat
> > fingers. Sorry for typos.
> > On 8 Feb 2015 19:35, "Jonathan Fisher" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Just want to here some feedback on the parts everyone is *actually*
> >> using... A list to glance off of is here:
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Enterprise_Edition
> >>
> >> Here's our list:
> >>
> >>    - EJB3 (Only because of Transaction support)
> >>    - JMS
> >>    - JAX-RS
> >>    - CDI / @Inject
> >>    - JTA
> >>    - Bean Validation
> >>    - Servlets / Filters
> >>    - JPA
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -Jonathan
> >>
> >> --
> >> Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
> >> transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be
> subject
> >> to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability
> and
> >> Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of
> the
> >> individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
> intended
> >> recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the
> >> message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
> >> penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact
> the
> >> sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material
> from
> >> any computer.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

yann.blazart@bycode.fr
Damned phone.

Not "all of the année too"  but all of the above too
Le 8 févr. 2015 20:16, "Yann Blazart" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> All of the année too.
>
> But EJB3 Not Only because of Transaction support
>
> First we are forced to use JEE6, sadly ,
> Second,  we have Mdb,  use of async methodes,  timer and scheduled,  and
> @lock on @singleton and more of that
>
> Ejb remote,  yes it is usefull.
> Le 8 févr. 2015 19:41, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hi
>>
>> same + JSON-P + JBatch + (a bit shy but used it a bit) JCache
>>

>> Romain Manni-Bucau
>> @rmannibucau
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>> http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
>> https://github.com/rmannibucau

>> > All of the above. Looks like you're already in the right path.
>> >
>> > Andy.
>> >
>> > http://www.tomitribe.com - @AndyGeeDe - On a mobile device, and I have
>> fat
>> > fingers. Sorry for typos.

>> subject
>> Portability and
>> of the
>> intended
>> the
>> the
>> from

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

shikida
Ejb, jms, jax, servlets, jpa
Em 08/02/2015 16:35, "Jonathan Fisher" <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> Just want to here some feedback on the parts everyone is *actually*
> using... A list to glance off of is here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Enterprise_Edition
>
> Here's our list:
>
>    - EJB3 (Only because of Transaction support)
>    - JMS
>    - JAX-RS
>    - CDI / @Inject
>    - JTA
>    - Bean Validation
>    - Servlets / Filters
>    - JPA
>
> Thanks,
> -Jonathan
>
> --
> Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
> transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject
> to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and
> Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of the
> individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the
> message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
> penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the
> sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from
> any computer.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Lars-Fredrik Smedberg
For us...

EJB3 (Singleton, MessageDriven mostly - Tx, @Asynchronous, EJB Timers etc)
JMS
JAX-RS
JAX-WS
CDI
JTA
Bean Validation
Servlets / Filters
JavaBatch

@Romain JCache isnt part of JEE yet is it? Is it supported in TomEE or do
you add it when needed?

--
Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards

Lars-Fredrik Smedberg

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY:
immediately at [hidden email], and destroy all copies of this
message and any attachments.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Jcache is on tomee 2 snapshot yes
 Le 8 févr. 2015 22:42, "Lars-Fredrik Smedberg" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> For us...
>
> EJB3 (Singleton, MessageDriven mostly - Tx, @Asynchronous, EJB Timers etc)
> JMS
> JAX-RS
> JAX-WS
> CDI
> JTA
> Bean Validation
> Servlets / Filters
> JavaBatch
>
> @Romain JCache isnt part of JEE yet is it? Is it supported in TomEE or do
> you add it when needed?
>

> On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM, Leonardo K. Shikida <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ejb, jms, jax, servlets, jpa
> > Em 08/02/2015 16:35, "Jonathan Fisher" <[hidden email]>
> > escreveu:
> >
> > > Just want to here some feedback on the parts everyone is *actually*
> > > using... A list to glance off of is here:
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Platform,_Enterprise_Edition
> > >
> > > Here's our list:
> > >
> > >    - EJB3 (Only because of Transaction support)
> > >    - JMS
> > >    - JAX-RS
> > >    - CDI / @Inject
> > >    - JTA
> > >    - Bean Validation
> > >    - Servlets / Filters
> > >    - JPA
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Jonathan
> > >
> > > --
> > > Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
> > > transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be
> > subject
> > > to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability
> > and
> > > Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of
> > the
> > > individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
> intended
> > > recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of
> the
> > > message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
> > > penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact
> the
> > > sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material
> from
> > > any computer.
> > >

> --
> Med vänlig hälsning / Best regards
>
> Lars-Fredrik Smedberg
>
> STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY:
> address(es) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If
> you are not the intended recipient, please notify Lars-Fredrik Smedberg
> immediately at [hidden email], and destroy all copies of this
> message and any attachments.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

smithh032772
i'm doing the following:

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Lars-Fredrik Smedberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For us...
>
> EJB3 (Singleton, Stateless, MessageDriven mostly - Tx, @Asynchronous, EJB
> @Schedule)
>

> JMS (Active MQ bundled with TomEE++)
>

> CDI @ApplicationScoped, @RequestScoped, @SessionScoped, @ViewScoped
>

> JTA
> Bean Validation
> Servlets / Filters

JSF 2.2 (MyFaces)

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Anthony Fryer
EJB3 (singletons, transactions and asynchronous)
JMS
JAX-WS (client and server)
JAX-RS  (client and server)
JSF (only for html rendering of JAX-RS responses)
CDI (how can you not use it?)
JTA
JPA
Servlets
Filters
JCA (outbound connection pool with transaction support)

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
pretty decent stack.

JCA (outbound connection pool with transaction support)

Very cool part of Java EE but not well known.
Thanks for sharing

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Anthony Fryer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> EJB3 (singletons, transactions and asynchronous)
> JMS
> JAX-WS (client and server)
> JAX-RS  (client and server)
> JSF (only for html rendering of JAX-RS responses)
> CDI (how can you not use it?)
> JTA
> JPA
> Servlets
> Filters
> JCA (outbound connection pool with transaction support)

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Anthony Fryer
Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote

So true.  I've actually never met anyone in person that has built a JCA adapter.  Most people try to solve the problem JCA solves by re-inventing the wheel and usually because they just don't know what JCA can do for them.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Romain Manni-Bucau
to defend them a bit JCA API is full of boilerplate (IIRC there is
even a "common-jca" module allowing you to write only "business") so
it is often faster and more efficient (in term of
maintenance/knowledge) to not use them + it allows your app to be
responsible of the injections (and not @Resource) which is for some
teams what is looked for. As usual not the silver bullet

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com
https://github.com/rmannibucau

> Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote
>> JCA (outbound connection pool with transaction support)
>>

>> Very cool part of Java EE but not well known.
>
> So true.  I've actually never met anyone in person that has built a JCA
> adapter.  Most people try to solve the problem JCA solves by re-inventing
> the wheel and usually because they just don't know what JCA can do for them.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Anthony Fryer
JCA is hardcore and does require alot of boilerplate that takes some getting used to and if all you need is a "connection pool", then the value of it is questionable when you can easily use something like apache commons pool to implement a quick easy solution.  But when you start wanting to use transactions with that external system you're connecting to, even if they're only resource local, you start getting value out of JCA.  I think JCA could be massively improved in a similar way EJBs improved from version 2 to 3.  I haven't yet looked at the changes in JCA in jee7 but if i'm not mistaken, didn't David Blevins have alot of input into the new JCA spec?

Most people listed JMS and JPA (which require datastores) as parts of the stack they're using, so they're also using JCA under the hood right?

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Vincenzo D'Amore
EJB3
JAX-RS
JAX-WS
CDI
JTA

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Bjorn Danielsson
EJB 3.1 (stateless local)
JPA
JTA
JAX-RS
Servlet 3.0
JavaMail
JAXB
JSP

Bjorn Danielsson
Cuspy Code AB

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

Jonathan S. Fisher
So this was really insightful :) Pretty much everyone is writing either
"processing" like servers with MBeans or fast RESTful backends for their
Angular like apps.

This was more of an exercise in curiosity, but I hope this might have been
useful for the devs as progress is made towards JEE7 too. Thanks everyone!

*Jonathan Fisher*
*VP - Information Technology*
*Spring Venture Group*
(o) 913-653-8820

--
Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject
to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the
message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the
sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from
any computer.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

karlkilden
Hello,

JSF Myfaces 2.2.x
CDI
JAX-RS
JTA
EJB (scheduleing, and JTA access
JBatch
BeanVal
JPA 2.1 (eclipselink)
Servlets & Filters (but very few and local)
Java Mail

Websockets and JCache are really interesting for some upcoming development
but we might go with other non standardized APIs that may or may not share
the backend (esp for websockets).

CDI and Deltaspike is the core of the application EJBs for example could be
replaced with Deltaspike module for Quartz and @Scheduled from deltaspike /
Java EE 7.

Besides Deltaspike Omnifaces, Solr and Primefaces are also heavily used
libraries

On 15 February 2015 at 19:01, Jonathan Fisher <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> So this was really insightful :) Pretty much everyone is writing either
> "processing" like servers with MBeans or fast RESTful backends for their
> Angular like apps.
>
> This was more of an exercise in curiosity, but I hope this might have been
> useful for the devs as progress is made towards JEE7 too. Thanks everyone!
>

> *Jonathan Fisher*
> *VP - Information Technology*
> *Spring Venture Group*
> (o) 913-653-8820
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 9:50 AM, Bjorn Danielsson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > EJB 3.1 (stateless local)
> > JPA
> > JTA
> > JAX-RS
> > Servlet 3.0
> > JavaMail
> > JAXB
> > JSP
> >
> > --
> > Bjorn Danielsson
> > Cuspy Code AB
> >

> --
> Email Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this
> transmission is confidential, proprietary or privileged and may be subject
> to protection under the law, including the Health Insurance Portability and
> Accountability Act (HIPAA). The message is intended for the sole use of the
> individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you are notified that any use, distribution or copying of the
> message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
> penalties. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the
> sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the material from
> any computer.

Re: Just curious, what parts of JEE is everyone using?

shikida
Primefaces +1 here too