JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

brunobat
Hi Folks,

Any idea if we can run tests using the Jupiter engine of JUnit 5 with
Arquillian on TomEE?

Has anyone tried it?

Cheers

--
Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

Thomas Andraschko
AFAIK Arquillian itself is still not compatible with JUnit5?!

Am Mo., 11. März 2019 um 19:15 Uhr schrieb Bruno Baptista <
[hidden email]>:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Any idea if we can run tests using the Jupiter engine of JUnit 5 with
> Arquillian on TomEE?
>
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

Hey Bruno,

I don't know and did not try yet.
What does it bring out of curiosity?

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 7:15 PM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Any idea if we can run tests using the Jupiter engine of JUnit 5 with
> Arquillian on TomEE?
>
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

brunobat
Hi Jean-Louis,

I'm hacking a comparison between multiple frameworks and all apart from
Arquillian seem to support JUnit 5 already.

I was hopping to be missing something, but it seems it's not supported yet.

Cheers

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 11/03/19 18:22, Jean-Louis Monteiro wrote:

> Hey Bruno,
>
> I don't know and did not try yet.
> What does it bring out of curiosity?
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 7:15 PM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Any idea if we can run tests using the Jupiter engine of JUnit 5 with
>> Arquillian on TomEE?
>>
>> Has anyone tried it?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>> Bruno Baptista
>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

asotobu
No, it is not supported.

Missatge de Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> del dia dl., 11 de març
2019 a les 19:28:

> Hi Jean-Louis,
>
> I'm hacking a comparison between multiple frameworks and all apart from
> Arquillian seem to support JUnit 5 already.
>
> I was hopping to be missing something, but it seems it's not supported yet.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>

> On 11/03/19 18:22, Jean-Louis Monteiro wrote:
> > Hey Bruno,
> >
> > I don't know and did not try yet.
> > What does it bring out of curiosity?
> > --
> > Jean-Louis Monteiro
> > http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> > http://www.tomitribe.com
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 7:15 PM Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Folks,
> >>
> >> Any idea if we can run tests using the Jupiter engine of JUnit 5 with
> >> Arquillian on TomEE?
> >>
> >> Has anyone tried it?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bruno Baptista
> >> https://twitter.com/brunobat_

  Alex Soto Bueno - Computer Engineer
  www.lordofthejars.com

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

brunobat
Thanks for the help Thomas, Jean-Louis and Alex!

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

On 11/03/19 18:32, Alex Soto wrote:

> No, it is not supported.
>
> Missatge de Bruno Baptista <[hidden email]> del dia dl., 11 de març
> 2019 a les 19:28:
>
>> Hi Jean-Louis,
>>
>> I'm hacking a comparison between multiple frameworks and all apart from
>> Arquillian seem to support JUnit 5 already.
>>
>> I was hopping to be missing something, but it seems it's not supported yet.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruno Baptista
>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>

>> On 11/03/19 18:22, Jean-Louis Monteiro wrote:
>>> Hey Bruno,
>>>
>>> I don't know and did not try yet.
>>> What does it bring out of curiosity?
>>> --
>>> Jean-Louis Monteiro
>>> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
>>> http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

brunobat
Hi All!
2 years have passed. Any news about this?
Can we now test with Arquillian and TomEE with JUnit 5?
Cheers
Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_

Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
Hi Bruno,

I think Richard worked on it.
Not sure about the status, but as far as I can recall, he created a ticket
(TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module) and a PR for it.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM brunobat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All!
> 2 years have passed. Any news about this?
> Can we now test with Arquillian and TomEE with JUnit 5?
> Cheers
> Bruno Baptista
> https://twitter.com/brunobat_

> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

Richard Zowalla-2
Hi all,

yes, I did some work related to JUnit5 for the old (legacy) code (via
InitialContext, see [1]), which shouldnt be used anymore but hinders
some users to migrate to JUnit5 (who are using the legacy approach).
This PR is merged into master and will be available with the next
release.

However, this does not necessarily apply to Arquillian /
ApplicationComposer code.

I might find some time looking at Arquillian / ApplicationComposer code
related to JUnit5. Afaik, Arquillian did not support JUnit5 for quite a
long time. However, since 1.7.0.Alpha5 [2], it should be included, so
we could definitley take a look at it and check, if we need to adjust
something. However, there is no 1.7.0 release available yet.

Gruss
Richard

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/759
[2]
https://github.com/arquillian/arquillian-core/issues/137#issuecomment-536316718

Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 09:18 +0100 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> I think Richard worked on it.
> Not sure about the status, but as far as I can recall, he created a
> ticket
> (TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module) and a PR for it.
> --
> Jean-Louis Monteiro
> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> http://www.tomitribe.com
>

> On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM brunobat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All!
> > 2 years have passed. Any news about this?
> > Can we now test with Arquillian and TomEE with JUnit 5?
> > Cheers
> > Bruno Baptista
> > https://twitter.com/brunobat_
> >

> > --
> > Sent from:
> > http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

brunobat
Thanks Jean-Louis, Richard!

On 08/03/21 08:44, Richard Zowalla wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> yes, I did some work related to JUnit5 for the old (legacy) code (via
> InitialContext, see [1]), which shouldnt be used anymore but hinders
> some users to migrate to JUnit5 (who are using the legacy approach).
> This PR is merged into master and will be available with the next
> release.
>
> However, this does not necessarily apply to Arquillian /
> ApplicationComposer code.
>
> I might find some time looking at Arquillian / ApplicationComposer code
> related to JUnit5. Afaik, Arquillian did not support JUnit5 for quite a
> long time. However, since 1.7.0.Alpha5 [2], it should be included, so
> we could definitley take a look at it and check, if we need to adjust
> something. However, there is no 1.7.0 release available yet.
>
> Gruss
> Richard
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/759
> [2]
> https://github.com/arquillian/arquillian-core/issues/137#issuecomment-536316718
>

> Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 09:18 +0100 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro:
>> Hi Bruno,
>>
>> I think Richard worked on it.
>> Not sure about the status, but as far as I can recall, he created a
>> ticket
>> (TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module) and a PR for it.
>> --
>> Jean-Louis Monteiro
>> http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
>> http://www.tomitribe.com
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM brunobat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All!
>>> 2 years have passed. Any news about this?
>>> Can we now test with Arquillian and TomEE with JUnit 5?
>>> Cheers
>>> Bruno Baptista
>>> https://twitter.com/brunobat_
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

Richard Zowalla-2
I did a quick check:

Arquillian is supporting JUnit 5 since 1.7.0-Alpha5. I created a Jira
[1] and added two examples (see PR @ [2]), which are using JUnit 5 only
for Arquillian-based testing.

ApplicationComposer relies on JUnit4 Code. Thus, a ApplicationComposer
JUnit5-Extension would be necessary. I created a Jira [3] for it. Might
find some time working on it in the next weeks :)

Gruss
Richard

- [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2976
- [2] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/765
- [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2977

Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 09:51 +0000 schrieb Bruno Baptista:

> Thanks Jean-Louis, Richard!
>

> On 08/03/21 08:44, Richard Zowalla wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > yes, I did some work related to JUnit5 for the old (legacy) code
> > (via
> > InitialContext, see [1]), which shouldnt be used anymore but
> > hinders
> > some users to migrate to JUnit5 (who are using the legacy
> > approach).
> > This PR is merged into master and will be available with the next
> > release.
> >
> > However, this does not necessarily apply to Arquillian /
> > ApplicationComposer code.
> >
> > I might find some time looking at Arquillian / ApplicationComposer
> > code
> > related to JUnit5. Afaik, Arquillian did not support JUnit5 for
> > quite a
> > long time. However, since 1.7.0.Alpha5 [2], it should be included,
> > so
> > we could definitley take a look at it and check, if we need to
> > adjust
> > something. However, there is no 1.7.0 release available yet.
> >
> > Gruss
> > Richard
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/759
> > [2]
> > https://github.com/arquillian/arquillian-core/issues/137#issuecomment-536316718
> >

> > Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 09:18 +0100 schrieb Jean-Louis Monteiro:
> > > Hi Bruno,
> > >
> > > I think Richard worked on it.
> > > Not sure about the status, but as far as I can recall, he created
> > > ticket
> > > (TomEE-2966: JUnit5 OpenEJB Extension Module) and a PR for it.
> > > --
> > > Jean-Louis Monteiro
> > > http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro
> > > http://www.tomitribe.com

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

Richard Zowalla-2
Hi @all,

we have some progress related to a pure JUnit 5 application composers
extension, see [1].

Would be good to get some additional feedback on it. Already received a
lot of valuable feedback by @rmannibucau (thx), which is already
incorporated in the current PR.

Gruss
Richard

- [1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/767

Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 11:41 +0100 schrieb Richard Zowalla:

> I did a quick check:
>
> Arquillian is supporting JUnit 5 since 1.7.0-Alpha5. I created a Jira
> [1] and added two examples (see PR @ [2]), which are using JUnit 5
> only
> for Arquillian-based testing.
>
> ApplicationComposer relies on JUnit4 Code. Thus, a
> ApplicationComposer
> JUnit5-Extension would be necessary. I created a Jira [3] for it.
> Might
> find some time working on it in the next weeks :)
>
> Gruss
> Richard
>
> - [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2976
> - [2] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/765
> - [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2977
>

> Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 09:51 +0000 schrieb Bruno Baptista:
> > Thanks Jean-Louis, Richard!
> >

> > On 08/03/21 08:44, Richard Zowalla wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > yes, I did some work related to JUnit5 for the old (legacy) code
> > > (via
> > > InitialContext, see [1]), which shouldnt be used anymore but
> > > hinders
> > > some users to migrate to JUnit5 (who are using the legacy
> > > approach).
> > > This PR is merged into master and will be available with the next
> > > release.
> > >
> > > However, this does not necessarily apply to Arquillian /
> > > ApplicationComposer code.
> > >
> > > I might find some time looking at Arquillian /
> > > ApplicationComposer
> > > code
> > > related to JUnit5. Afaik, Arquillian did not support JUnit5 for
> > > quite a
> > > long time. However, since 1.7.0.Alpha5 [2], it should be
> > > included,
> > > so
> > > we could definitley take a look at it and check, if we need to
> > > adjust
> > > something. However, there is no 1.7.0 release available yet.
> > >
> > > Gruss
> > > Richard
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/759
> > > [2]
> > > https://github.com/arquillian/arquillian-core/issues/137#issuecomment-536316718
> > >

> > > Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 09:18 +0100 schrieb Jean-Louis
> > > Monteiro:

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

Zowalla, Richard
Hi all,

I went ahead and merged the changes. We are now capable of running
JUnit 5 tests via @RunWithApplicationComposer with some modes to
specify (container for each test method, for each test class, per jvm
or based on the JUnit 5 test instance lifecycle). Usage example can be
found in [1] and in the related JUnit5-only tests in [2].

Might be necessary to enhance / improve or even translate the current
example.

Next, I will focus on the JUnit 5 arquillian things, so we have some
examples available for the ones, who want to use JUnit 5 only.

Gruss
Richard

[1]
https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/examples/junit5-application-composer
[2]
https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/master/container/openejb-junit5/src/test/java/org/apache/openejb/junit5

Am Donnerstag, den 18.03.2021, 14:02 +0100 schrieb Richard Zowalla:

> Hi @all,
>
> we have some progress related to a pure JUnit 5 application composers
> extension, see [1].
>
> Would be good to get some additional feedback on it. Already received
> lot of valuable feedback by @rmannibucau (thx), which is already
> incorporated in the current PR.
>
> Gruss
> Richard
>
> - [1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/767
>

> Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 11:41 +0100 schrieb Richard Zowalla:
> > I did a quick check:
> >
> > Arquillian is supporting JUnit 5 since 1.7.0-Alpha5. I created a
> > Jira
> > [1] and added two examples (see PR @ [2]), which are using JUnit 5
> > only
> > for Arquillian-based testing.
> >
> > ApplicationComposer relies on JUnit4 Code. Thus, a
> > ApplicationComposer
> > JUnit5-Extension would be necessary. I created a Jira [3] for it.
> > Might
> > find some time working on it in the next weeks :)
> >
> > Gruss
> > Richard
> >
> > - [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2976
> > - [2] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/765
> > - [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2977
> >

> > Am Montag, den 08.03.2021, 09:51 +0000 schrieb Bruno Baptista:
> > > Thanks Jean-Louis, Richard!

Re: JUnit5 Jupiter support with Arquillian

David Blevins-2
> On Mar 23, 2021, at 1:45 PM, Zowalla, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I went ahead and merged the changes. We are now capable of running
> JUnit 5 tests via @RunWithApplicationComposer with some modes to
> specify (container for each test method, for each test class, per jvm
> or based on the JUnit 5 test instance lifecycle). Usage example can be
> found in [1] and in the related JUnit5-only tests in [2].
>
> Might be necessary to enhance / improve or even translate the current
> example.
>
> Next, I will focus on the JUnit 5 arquillian things, so we have some
> examples available for the ones, who want to use JUnit 5 only.
Thank you so much for doing this work, Richard!

I didn't realize there was such a gap with JUnit 5, which has been out quite a while.  You're definitely filling a bit hole in functionality.  Very great contribution!

-David

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment