JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

daveg-iwd

It seems that some of the capabilities provided by javax.json.bind were
broken in this release of Plume.  I'm referring to things such as using the
javax.json.bind.JsonbConfig, javax.json.bind.config.PropertyNamingStrategy,
javax.json.bind.config.PropertyVisibilityStrategy along with the
javax.json.bind.annotation.JsonbTypeAdapter annotation.  We have been using
them in some REST clients running on 7.1.0 Plume and they work just fine.
But on 7.1.1 with identical server configs, all of the JSONB configuration
and the annotated fields seem to be ignored.

Is there some sort of config setting we need to adjust to make johnzon act
as the jsonb implementation?

Re: JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

David Salter-4
Hi,

Do you have a small example that replicates the issue ?

Thanks,

David.

> On 10 Jul 2019, at 15:00, daveg-iwd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> It seems that some of the capabilities provided by javax.json.bind were
> broken in this release of Plume.  I'm referring to things such as using the
> javax.json.bind.JsonbConfig, javax.json.bind.config.PropertyNamingStrategy,
> javax.json.bind.config.PropertyVisibilityStrategy along with the
> javax.json.bind.annotation.JsonbTypeAdapter annotation.  We have been using
> them in some REST clients running on 7.1.0 Plume and they work just fine.
> But on 7.1.1 with identical server configs, all of the JSONB configuration
> and the annotated fields seem to be ignored.
>
> Is there some sort of config setting we need to adjust to make johnzon act
> as the jsonb implementation?

> Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Users-f979441.html

Re: JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

daveg-iwd
I went ahead and opened an issue on JIRA.  I included an example project as
an upload. Hope that's OK.

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2565>

Re: JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

Cesar Hernandez
Hi, I updated the JIRA ticket with the following:

Hi David Gannon

I did a first swing catching up with this issue.

By looking at the release notes for 7.1.1 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TOMEE/versions/12344119) I see two
potential related commits:

Update TomEE with Johnzon 1.0.2
DateTimeParseException Regression when upgrading to TomEE 7.1.0
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2233,
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/162,
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/227
Since you provided a finely detailed repro maven project, now the ToDo is
to test the 7.1.1 branch against your project removing one change at the
time.

I'm not familiar with the code from Johnzon but will be happy to start
digging in if the upgrade to Johonzon is the root cause, if not then my
plan is to study and understand the issue solved by Richard Zowalla in
TomEE-2233.

César Hernández.

Re: JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

Cesar Hernandez
Hi David Gannon,

I did a second swing to this issue [3] without success. This is what I did:

1) I pull TomEE 7.1.x branch [1]
2) Rolled back johnzon from 1.0.2 to 1.0.1 and built TomEE project locally
[2]
3) Ran the example project you provided in the ticket [3]
4) The tests keep failing :(.

I might be already in the path to do a git bisect in the commits from TomEE
7.1.1 up to TomEE 7.1.2 but if someone else wants to help on this task or
have a different idea why this issue is occurring that would be great!

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/tree/tomee-7.1.x
[2] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/292/files
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2565

César Hernández.

Re: JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

Cesar Hernandez
Update,
With the collaboration from Rich Zowalla we concluded that Johnzon update
is not the root cause of the issue.
I'm starting to run a git bisect and will keep you updated with my
progress.

@David Gannon
Do you have any update on your side about this issue?

César Hernández.

Re: JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

Cesar Hernandez
Hi,

I found the commit that introduces the issue David is having.

This is what I did:
- checkout tomee-7.1.x branch and created a separate branch to do git bisect
- Things didn't ran smoothly since gitbisect keeps checking out the master
branch.
- I manually did a git bisect approach and find the

Want to try by yourseld
- checkout tomee-7.1.x on a new local branch
- git revert 4302acab62
- build tomee: mvn clean install -DskipTests
- update jsontest pom.xml to
use: <tomee.version>7.1.2-SNAPSHOT</tomee.version>
- build jsontest: mvn clean package
- the jsontest passes successfully.

I think the next step is to understand what the commit 4302acab62 is doing
since I see that it includes some configuration options. Any help is
appreciated.

César Hernández.

Re: JSONB Capabilities Broken in 7.1.1 Plume?

Cesar Hernandez
Hi David Gannon,

The PR I identified yesterday was analyzed by Richard and now we identify
both a workaround for you to apply to 7.1.1 and also a bug for an upcoming
release.

*The workaround:*
Specify "org.apache.openejb.server.cxf.rs.johnzon.TomEEJsonbProvider" via
"openejb.jaxrs.jsonProviders" in the system properties  until a fix is
available with 7.1.2

On the sample project you shared this will be the steps to apply the
workaround:
1) Keep your pom.xml to use: <tomee.version>7.1.1</tomee.version>
2) update the junit test and set this property for the embedded container:
p.setProperty("openejb.jaxrs.jsonProviders",
"org.apache.openejb.server.cxf.rs.johnzon.TomEEJsonbProvider")
3) mvn clean package
4) the jsontest passes successfully.

Thank you Richard Zowalla for the help, your detail responses on the Jira
ticket definitely help other contributors to catchup with bisect strategies
and troubleshooting logic in TomEE project.

César Hernández.