IntelliJ IDE

chongma
I am thinking of switching from Eclipse to IntelliJ community edition
but I am still unclear how to deploy multiple projects to TomEE.

In eclipse i can open multiple projects and then drag them to a server
to deploy them.  The server has a single shared configuration folder
where i can manage config files.  i can the start and stop the server
using the IDE.

in IntelliJ i understand that i can open each eclipse project as a
"module" under a single umbrella project.  but where do i store the
TomEE config files?  and how do i deploy the modules and start and stop
the server?

Re: IntelliJ IDE

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Matthew,

in Idea you can import multiple projects (maven tab -> "+" button)
and in TomEE/Tomcat configuration you can select the artifacts (modules)
you want to deploy and add as much as needed and still use a single
configuration folder (same popup for the configuration)

>:

> I am thinking of switching from Eclipse to IntelliJ community edition but
> I am still unclear how to deploy multiple projects to TomEE.
>
> In eclipse i can open multiple projects and then drag them to a server to
> deploy them.  The server has a single shared configuration folder where i
> can manage config files.  i can the start and stop the server using the IDE.
>
> in IntelliJ i understand that i can open each eclipse project as a
> "module" under a single umbrella project.  but where do i store the TomEE
> config files?  and how do i deploy the modules and start and stop the
> server?

Re: IntelliJ IDE

Svetlin Zarev

If you are going to use the community edition of IJ, then you'll have to
manually manage the server - i.e. start/stop/deploy/undeploy.

> I am still unclear how to deploy multiple projects to TomEE
Just build the wars and drop them in the "webapps" folder of a running
TomEE server

> The server has a single shared configuration folder where i can manage
config files
You have the "conf" folder, where you can manually manage the configuration

> i can the start and stop the server using the IDE
You can use the bin/catalina.sh or catalina.bat script to start the server:

start normally: catalina.sh run
start in debug mode: catalina.sh jpda run
stop the server: just press CTRL+C in the terminal window you used to start
the server

> but where do i store the TomEE config files
what config files ?

Also I think that you can automate (i.e. click a button in idea) a great
deal of those steps using the maven plugin, but personally I haven't used
it .

Kind regards,
Svetlin

>:

> I am thinking of switching from Eclipse to IntelliJ community edition but
> I am still unclear how to deploy multiple projects to TomEE.
>
> In eclipse i can open multiple projects and then drag them to a server to
> deploy them.  The server has a single shared configuration folder where i
> can manage config files.  i can the start and stop the server using the IDE.
>
> in IntelliJ i understand that i can open each eclipse project as a
> "module" under a single umbrella project.  but where do i store the TomEE
> config files?  and how do i deploy the modules and start and stop the
> server?

Re: IntelliJ IDE

chongma
I do not have a Maven tab in IntelliJ?

The TomEE Run/Debug configuration only works in ultimate edition and I
am using Community edition as i don't have 500€ to pay for the IDE.
Also the link to TomEE website from the following page is broken
https://www.jetbrains.com/help/idea/run-debug-configuration-tomee-server.html

On 12/07/2017 14:45, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> in Idea you can import multiple projects (maven tab -> "+" button)
> and in TomEE/Tomcat configuration you can select the artifacts (modules)
> you want to deploy and add as much as needed and still use a single
> configuration folder (same popup for the configuration)

>> :
>> I am thinking of switching from Eclipse to IntelliJ community edition but
>> I am still unclear how to deploy multiple projects to TomEE.
>>
>> In eclipse i can open multiple projects and then drag them to a server to
>> deploy them.  The server has a single shared configuration folder where i
>> can manage config files.  i can the start and stop the server using the IDE.
>>
>> in IntelliJ i understand that i can open each eclipse project as a
>> "module" under a single umbrella project.  but where do i store the TomEE
>> config files?  and how do i deploy the modules and start and stop the
>> server?

Re: IntelliJ IDE

Romain Manni-Bucau
In the menu: View -> Tollbar, View -> Tool Buttons. Will make it more
friendly ;)