Incubation

So Geronimo 1.1 went out this week.  Seems we're ready to start the
move.

Here is what we've got so far:
  -- proposal
     http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenEjbProposal
  -- vote thread on [hidden email]
  -- incubator proposal thread

Can any of our mentors give some insight as to what the next step is?

Re: Incubation

Brett Porter-2
On 1/07/2006 5:04 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> So Geronimo 1.1 went out this week.  Seems we're ready to start the move.
>
> Here is what we've got so far:
>  -- proposal
>     http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenEjbProposal
>  -- vote thread on [hidden email]
>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113359335700001&r=1&w=2
>  -- incubator proposal thread
>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113890997600003&r=1&w=2
>
> Can any of our mentors give some insight as to what the next step is?

Is the mentor list correct? (Jason, me and James). Jason and I need to
be added to the Incubator PMC. I can send that request, but first I
should check - Jason, are you still going to do this?

A status site needs to be created - David, can you look after that?
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html has some instructions,
and I can help if you ping me on IRC.

Do all the committers have CLAs and accounts? That's a non-blocking
thing but should be taken care of as quickly as possible to minimise
disruption to their work.

A PPMC needs to be formed (even though it is planning to go to
Geronimo). I assume that will be the initial committer list + mentors +
anyone from the Geronimo PMC that isn't on that list and wants to be a
part of it. The alternate approach is for the initial PPMC to be just
the mentors and they vote in others (something that better suits a
project aiming for TLP, but can work in either case).

Infra needs to be done. File an issue for mailing list creation first,
and I'll take care of that. Once that's done, other stuff like SVN can
be done. You'll want to svndump your current repository and get someone
to import it (possibly twiddling usernames). Line it all up and have a
practice run first to minimise disruption.

Then incubation is underway.

All the legal paperwork needs to be done and checked off in the status.
I'm pretty sure this has already been done, it just needs to be double
checked. No releases can be done until this has occurred.

Then go forth and "build a community" that can either stand on its own
two feet (and graduate to a TLP with approval of the board), or is a
functional part of the Geronimo project (and graduate to the Geronimo
TLP). I don't believe you need to decide up front any more.

Put up a site at incubator.apache.org/openejb, redirect your old stuff, etc.

I think that's about it. Good luck :)

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter <[hidden email]>
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/

Re: Incubation

On Jul 2, 2006, at 8:06 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> On 1/07/2006 5:04 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>> So Geronimo 1.1 went out this week.  Seems we're ready to start
>> the move.
>> Here is what we've got so far:
>>  -- proposal
>>     http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenEjbProposal
>>  -- vote thread on [hidden email]
>>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113359335700001&r=1&w=2
>>  -- incubator proposal thread
>>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113890997600003&r=1&w=2
>> Can any of our mentors give some insight as to what the next step is?
>
> Is the mentor list correct? (Jason, me and James). Jason and I need
> to be added to the Incubator PMC. I can send that request, but
> first I should check - Jason, are you still going to do this?

I hope Jason still is.  You and Henri for sure.

> A status site needs to be created - David, can you look after that?
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html has some
> instructions, and I can help if you ping me on IRC.

Here is a first cut on that http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
INCUBATOR-23.  Hope i got enough info in there to start with.

> Do all the committers have CLAs and accounts? That's a non-blocking
> thing but should be taken care of as quickly as possible to
> minimise disruption to their work.

Definitely from everyone who's active.  Still tracking down a few
people who aren't really around anymore.

> A PPMC needs to be formed (even though it is planning to go to
> Geronimo). I assume that will be the initial committer list +
> mentors + anyone from the Geronimo PMC that isn't on that list and
> wants to be a part of it. The alternate approach is for the initial
> PPMC to be just the mentors and they vote in others (something that
> better suits a project aiming for TLP, but can work in either case).

The alternate approach sounds best.

> Infra needs to be done. File an issue for mailing list creation
> first, and I'll take care of that. Once that's done, other stuff
> like SVN can be done. You'll want to svndump your current
> repository and get someone to import it (possibly twiddling
> usernames). Line it all up and have a practice run first to
> minimise disruption.

Here is the jira for list creation -- http://issues.apache.org/jira/
browse/INCUBATOR-24

> Then incubation is underway.
>
> All the legal paperwork needs to be done and checked off in the
> status. I'm pretty sure this has already been done, it just needs
> to be double checked. No releases can be done until this has occurred.

Ok.

> Then go forth and "build a community" that can either stand on its
> own two feet (and graduate to a TLP with approval of the board), or
> is a functional part of the Geronimo project (and graduate to the
> Geronimo TLP). I don't believe you need to decide up front any more.

I suspect we are a year away from having to even worry about it.

> Put up a site at incubator.apache.org/openejb, redirect your old
> stuff, etc.

We also have Confluence and JIRA to migrate.  Both of those on
Codehaus/Contegix obviously.  Confluence should be easy to export/
import.  Not sure what is required for JIRA -- I seem to recall it is
a big undertaking.

> I think that's about it. Good luck :)

Thanks!

-David

On 6/07/2006 9:50 AM, David Blevins wrote:
> Here is a first cut on that
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-23.  Hope i got enough
> info in there to start with.

Done - thanks!

>> A PPMC needs to be formed (even though it is planning to go to
>> Geronimo). I assume that will be the initial committer list + mentors
>> + anyone from the Geronimo PMC that isn't on that list and wants to be
>> a part of it. The alternate approach is for the initial PPMC to be
>> just the mentors and they vote in others (something that better suits
>> a project aiming for TLP, but can work in either case).
>
> The alternate approach sounds best.

Ok, done. Jason, Hen and I will be the initial ppmc.

> Here is the jira for list creation --
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-24

Done. I have asked Ben for the list subscriptions and can subscribe
everyone over there and then send a message out if that's ok.

I'd suggest moving all the dev@ traffic there as soon as possible.

> We also have Confluence and JIRA to migrate.  Both of those on
> Codehaus/Contegix obviously.  Confluence should be easy to
> export/import.

Yep, I'll leave you in charge of that since you have the necessary karma
on the ASF confluence.

> Not sure what is required for JIRA -- I seem to recall
> it is a big undertaking.

You have the following options:
- leave it at Codehaus
- have your own instance running on issues.apache.org (like Struts do)
- bribe Atlassian into implementing the merge feature.
- start fresh

Other than those two, the next step will be SVN.

First, we need the status file updated with the committers that will be
part of the project initially.

Once everyone is happy with the lists and committers, pick a day to lock
it down, take an svndump, and import at Apache. Hen has the necessary
karma for that, so hopefully he can help out there.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Incubation

Henri Yandell
On 7/10/06, Brett Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/07/2006 9:50 AM, David Blevins wrote:
>
> > We also have Confluence and JIRA to migrate.  Both of those on
> > Codehaus/Contegix obviously.  Confluence should be easy to
> > export/import.
>
> Yep, I'll leave you in charge of that since you have the necessary karma
> on the ASF confluence.
>
> > Not sure what is required for JIRA -- I seem to recall
> > it is a big undertaking.
>
> You have the following options:
> - leave it at Codehaus
> - have your own instance running on issues.apache.org (like Struts do)
> - bribe Atlassian into implementing the merge feature.
> - start fresh

- Hope that Hen finds time to improve the Jira xmlrpc interface so he
can start to write a script to migrate a Jira from one instance to
another. :)

> Other than those two, the next step will be SVN.
>
> First, we need the status file updated with the committers that will be
> part of the project initially.
>
> Once everyone is happy with the lists and committers, pick a day to lock
> it down, take an svndump, and import at Apache. Hen has the necessary
> karma for that, so hopefully he can help out there.

Yep, Garrett's very responsive on that stuff too but I can definitely
take care of things. Mapping usernames over is the only painful bit to
be done I think.

Hen

[openejb-user] [NOTICE] Committers -- Add yourself to the STATUS file

A reminder to please add yourself to the STATUS file [1] or at the
very least reply to this email and say "Count me in!"

A small sign that you're still with us is all that's required to let
us know you're still committed to OpenEJB and would like to
participate in the Incubation.  Even if you are an OpenEJBer of
yesteryear, you're still invited to come.

Best regards,
David Blevins

[1] http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt

Re: [NOTICE] Committers -- Add yourself to the STATUS file

David Jencks
I'll try to get to adding my name myself, but in any case please
count me in :-)

thanks
david jencks

On Jul 16, 2006, at 8:08 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> A reminder to please add yourself to the STATUS file [1] or at the
> very least reply to this email and say "Count me in!"
>
> A small sign that you're still with us is all that's required to
> let us know you're still committed to OpenEJB and would like to
> participate in the Incubation.  Even if you are an OpenEJBer of
> yesteryear, you're still invited to come.
>
> Best regards,
> David Blevins
>
> [1] http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt

Re: [openejb-dev] [NOTICE] Committers -- Add yourself to the STATUS file

Very excellent.  Welcome back, Daniel!

-David

On Jul 17, 2006, at 5:59 AM, Daniel S. Haischt wrote:

> "Count me in!" ;)
>
> David Blevins schrieb:
>> A reminder to please add yourself to the STATUS file [1] or at
>> the  very
>> least reply to this email and say "Count me in!"
>>
>> A small sign that you're still with us is all that's required to
>> let  us
>> know you're still committed to OpenEJB and would like to
>> participate in
>> the Incubation.  Even if you are an OpenEJBer of  yesteryear, you're
>> still invited to come.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> David Blevins
>>
>> [1] http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt

>> !DSPAM:44baff3c358879420213628!
>>

> --
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards
> DAn.I.El S. Haischt
>
> Spammers, please please send any mail to:
> Daniel S. Haischt <[hidden email]>
>
> Want a complete signature??? Type at a shell prompt:
> $ > finger -l [hidden email]

Re: [openejb-dev] [NOTICE] Committers -- Add yourself to the STATUS file

Lajos Moczar

Well, since one never knows ...

count me in!

Lajos

On Jul 17, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Lajos Moczar wrote:

> Well, since one never knows ...
>
> count me in!

Excellent!  Great to have you back :)

Sign and fax this http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf
See this page for details: http://www.apache.org/licenses

Also need your preferred user id for your Apache account.

-David

> David Blevins wrote:
>>
>> A reminder to please add yourself to the STATUS file [1] or at the
>> very
>> least reply to this email and say "Count me in!"
>>
>> A small sign that you're still with us is all that's required to
>> let us
>> know you're still committed to OpenEJB and would like to
>> participate in
>> the Incubation.  Even if you are an OpenEJBer of yesteryear, you're
>> still invited to come.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> David Blevins
>>
>> [1] http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt

Re: [NOTICE] Committers -- Add yourself to the STATUS file

Paulo, definitely great to see you on the lists again.  We're moving
the project to Apache and are transitioning into the Incubator.
Would be wonderful to have you on the team again!

Let us know and we'll get started setting you up with an Apache account.

-David

On Jul 16, 2006, at 8:08 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> A reminder to please add yourself to the STATUS file [1] or at the
> very least reply to this email and say "Count me in!"
>
> A small sign that you're still with us is all that's required to
> let us know you're still committed to OpenEJB and would like to
> participate in the Incubation.  Even if you are an OpenEJBer of
> yesteryear, you're still invited to come.
>
> Best regards,
> David Blevins
>
> [1] http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt

RE: [NOTICE] Committers -- Add yourself to the STATUS file

Paulo Lopes
Hi David!

Thanks for the welcome back! Yeah I been away from all projects for a while,
I had to finish my degree and then I wanted to try out something new such as
game design but I think I should keep to programming :) Since my last
contribution I changed work 3 times and now I don't use OpenEJB at work but
I think it is a cool project to keep contributing.

My old account at codehaus is kind of void, because the email address I used
was my previous employer work email address and I can't receive those
anymore.

About the project, right now I don't know exactly where to help, last time I
contributed was with some changes with class loaders in order to make
OpenEJB embebed working with TC5 and some lint checking on the full source
code...

Any sugestions on open issues I can look at?

BTW, I still can't access the SVN reppo ;-)

Best regards,
Paulo Lopes
http://www.scratchydreams.com

On Jul 28, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Paulo Lopes wrote:

> Thanks for the welcome back! Yeah I been away from all projects for
> a while,
> I had to finish my degree and then I wanted to try out something
> new such as
> game design but I think I should keep to programming :) Since my last
> contribution I changed work 3 times and now I don't use OpenEJB at
> work but
> I think it is a cool project to keep contributing.

Sounds like you've been on quite an adventure.  You're a whole new
Paulo now.

> My old account at codehaus is kind of void, because the email
> address I used
> was my previous employer work email address and I can't receive those
> anymore.

I'm sure we can get you straightened out with new keys and such.  If
you file a JIRA with your new email and public key, I'll see that it
gets straightened out http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/HAUS

> About the project, right now I don't know exactly where to help,
> last time I
> contributed was with some changes with class loaders in order to make
> OpenEJB embebed working with TC5 and some lint checking on the full
> source
> code...
>
> Any sugestions on open issues I can look at?

We are in critical need of our itests to be expanded to cover EJB 3
beans.  We have a pretty serious number of tests that need to be
written.  Mohammed is also looking to contribute in that area as
well, but we could really use a *lot* more hands.  Here is the list:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/OPENEJB-142

Is that something you'd be interested in?

> BTW, I still can't access the SVN reppo ;-)

Hmm.  I guess I'd open a JIRA for that here with the full error info
and svn version http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/HAUS

Re: [NOTICE] Committers -- Add yourself to the STATUS file

On Jul 28, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Paulo Lopes wrote:

> Hi David!
>
> Thanks for the welcome back!

Added you into the STATUS.txt file.

Re: Incubation

Ok...

On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
> First, we need the status file updated with the committers that
> will be
> part of the project initially.
>
> Once everyone is happy with the lists and committers, pick a day to
> lock
> it down, take an svndump, and import at Apache. Hen has the necessary
> karma for that, so hopefully he can help out there.

It's been a month and I think we've got everyone we're going to get.
We need two get accounts for Paulo and Lajos, but I hope we can get
those squared away.

http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt

Does this look OK to everyone?  And when do you think would be a good
date for a move?  I was thinking a week from now.

Thoughts?

Re: Incubation

My bad, I responded to the old [hidden email] list....
Moving people's replies there over to here for good measure.

On Aug 8, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> +1

> Ok...
>
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>> First, we need the status file updated with the committers that
>> will be
>> part of the project initially.
>>
>> Once everyone is happy with the lists and committers, pick a day
>> to lock
>> it down, take an svndump, and import at Apache. Hen has the necessary
>> karma for that, so hopefully he can help out there.
>
> It's been a month and I think we've got everyone we're going to
> get.  We need two get accounts for Paulo and Lajos, but I hope we
> can get those squared away.
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt
>
> Does this look OK to everyone?  And when do you think would be a
> good date for a move?  I was thinking a week from now.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [openejb-dev] Re: Incubation

Alan Cabrera
David Blevins wrote:

> Ok...
>
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>> First, we need the status file updated with the committers that will be
>> part of the project initially.
>>
>> Once everyone is happy with the lists and committers, pick a day to lock
>> it down, take an svndump, and import at Apache. Hen has the necessary
>> karma for that, so hopefully he can help out there.
>
> It's been a month and I think we've got everyone we're going to get.
> We need two get accounts for Paulo and Lajos, but I hope we can get
> those squared away.
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt
>
> Does this look OK to everyone?  And when do you think would be a good
> date for a move?  I was thinking a week from now.
>
> Thoughts?

Are there any strong connections between OpenEJB and Geronimo v1.1.1
that warrant us waiting for the v1.1.1 release?

Regards,
Alan

On Aug 8, 2006, at 7:19 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:
>> Ok...
>>
>> On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>>> First, we need the status file updated with the committers that
>>> will be
>>> part of the project initially.
>>>
>>> Once everyone is happy with the lists and committers, pick a day
>>> to lock
>>> it down, take an svndump, and import at Apache. Hen has the
>>> necessary
>>> karma for that, so hopefully he can help out there.
>>
>> It's been a month and I think we've got everyone we're going to
>> get.  We need two get accounts for Paulo and Lajos, but I hope we
>> can get those squared away.
>>
>> http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt
>>
>> Does this look OK to everyone?  And when do you think would be a
>> good date for a move?  I was thinking a week from now.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Are there any strong connections between OpenEJB and Geronimo
> v1.1.1 that warrant us waiting for the v1.1.1 release?

There are, but Matt already made the OpenEJB 2.1.1 release
candidate.  If Geronimo 1.1.1 doesn't clear by next we can wait, but
I'm fine planning as if it's a go.

Re: Incubation

Jacek Laskowski
On 8/8/06, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2006, at 9:39 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
> > First, we need the status file updated with the committers that
> > will be
> > part of the project initially.
> >
> > Once everyone is happy with the lists and committers, pick a day to
> > lock
> > it down, take an svndump, and import at Apache. Hen has the necessary
> > karma for that, so hopefully he can help out there.
>
> It's been a month and I think we've got everyone we're going to get.
> We need two get accounts for Paulo and Lajos, but I hope we can get
> those squared away.
>
> http://svn.codehaus.org/openejb/trunk/STATUS.txt
>
> Does this look OK to everyone?  And when do you think would be a good
> date for a move?  I was thinking a week from now.
>
> Thoughts?

(still on holidays, but it caught my eye :-))

The sooner the better. +1 for the move. I'm available from 08/15 and
am willing to help to get it done (before my manager finds out I'm
back and assign some tasks to do that will surely make it much harder
;-))

Jacek

Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Moving SVN (Re: Incubation)

> ... when do you think would be a good date for a move?  I was
> thinking a week from now.
>
> Thoughts?

So a week was yesterday, but Geronimo 1.1.1 isn't out yet.  Matt, any
feedback on how Geronimo 1.1.1 is looking from an OpenEJB 2.1.1
perspective?