Idea: Lightening demos

So when we did the demos at the ApacheCon session last Friday, it was quite the experience.  People's faces just lit right up!

The coolest thing was I just did them straight from the examples zip we make available on the website, including creating the Intellij projects on the fly, opening them up and running the example right there.  Sort of a "nothing up the sleeve" approach so people could witness the entire process first-hand, download to run.

After the first demo, some one said, "what about Web Services?".  No problem, I said.  Changed into the simple-webservice example, generated an Intellij project, popped it open and ran it.  "Wow", was the reaction.  After which came, "Well, what about WebService security?".  Again, no problem.  Changed into the "webservice-security" example, same process, same "wow" reaction.  This happened a couple times and was quite fun.

Since then I've been thinking some more screencasts would be great.  Not long 10 minute ones with lots of talking, but rather super quick demos, aimed at 2 minutes or less.  Who doesn't have two minutes?

Not sure if it can be done in 2 minutes, but seems like a really fun idea.  Inspired by the ApacheCon Lightening Talks, which are 5 minutes or less, I thought it would be fun to call them Lightening Demos.

Maybe with the goal that each example page has a short "Lightening Demo" link.

Thoughts?

Been a while since we chatted about screencasts or did any.  We got a license for ScreenFlow from telestream.net for doing screencasts.  If anyone wants the key, just let me know.

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Mohammad Nour El-Din
+1 wow, this is why I like ApacheCon you always come up with new ideas
inspired by people/activities you meet/attend there.

To take some real action though, lets start listing the examples we
want to make Lightning Demos for. Dear OpenEJBers, would you please
for each one of you reply on this e-mail thread with points he/she
would like to made a Lightning Demo for, so I can make a Wiki page
with each one of them and then when each demo is completed we add
links to it on both the OpenEJB site and Wiki. Looking forward your
replies :).

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 1:06 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So when we did the demos at the ApacheCon session last Friday, it was quite the experience.  People's faces just lit right up!
>
> The coolest thing was I just did them straight from the examples zip we make available on the website, including creating the Intellij projects on the fly, opening them up and running the example right there.  Sort of a "nothing up the sleeve" approach so people could witness the entire process first-hand, download to run.
>
> After the first demo, some one said, "what about Web Services?".  No problem, I said.  Changed into the simple-webservice example, generated an Intellij project, popped it open and ran it.  "Wow", was the reaction.  After which came, "Well, what about WebService security?".  Again, no problem.  Changed into the "webservice-security" example, same process, same "wow" reaction.  This happened a couple times and was quite fun.
>
> Since then I've been thinking some more screencasts would be great.  Not long 10 minute ones with lots of talking, but rather super quick demos, aimed at 2 minutes or less.  Who doesn't have two minutes?
>
> Not sure if it can be done in 2 minutes, but seems like a really fun idea.  Inspired by the ApacheCon Lightening Talks, which are 5 minutes or less, I thought it would be fun to call them Lightening Demos.
>
> Maybe with the goal that each example page has a short "Lightening Demo" link.
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Been a while since we chatted about screencasts or did any.  We got a license for ScreenFlow from telestream.net for doing screencasts.  If anyone wants the key, just let me know.

- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 wow, this is why I like ApacheCon you always come up with new ideas
> inspired by people/activities you meet/attend there.
>
> To take some real action though, lets start listing the examples we
> want to make Lightning Demos for. Dear OpenEJBers, would you please
> for each one of you reply on this e-mail thread with points he/she
> would like to made a Lightning Demo for, so I can make a Wiki page
> with each one of them and then when each demo is completed we add
> links to it on both the OpenEJB site and Wiki. Looking forward your
> replies :).

Thought of a cool slogan for it too.. "From download to debug"

In the session I showed people that they could drop breakpoints and
reach them, since simply seeing that green bar wiz by somehow doesn't
fully capture the coolness.

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

dsh-3
Personally I got a Camtasia for Mac license if that helps... but of
course I can't share it :)

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:06 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So when we did the demos at the ApacheCon session last Friday, it was quite the experience.  People's faces just lit right up!
>
> The coolest thing was I just did them straight from the examples zip we make available on the website, including creating the Intellij projects on the fly, opening them up and running the example right there.  Sort of a "nothing up the sleeve" approach so people could witness the entire process first-hand, download to run.
>
> After the first demo, some one said, "what about Web Services?".  No problem, I said.  Changed into the simple-webservice example, generated an Intellij project, popped it open and ran it.  "Wow", was the reaction.  After which came, "Well, what about WebService security?".  Again, no problem.  Changed into the "webservice-security" example, same process, same "wow" reaction.  This happened a couple times and was quite fun.
>
> Since then I've been thinking some more screencasts would be great.  Not long 10 minute ones with lots of talking, but rather super quick demos, aimed at 2 minutes or less.  Who doesn't have two minutes?
>
> Not sure if it can be done in 2 minutes, but seems like a really fun idea.  Inspired by the ApacheCon Lightening Talks, which are 5 minutes or less, I thought it would be fun to call them Lightening Demos.
>
> Maybe with the goal that each example page has a short "Lightening Demo" link.
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Been a while since we chatted about screencasts or did any.  We got a license for ScreenFlow from telestream.net for doing screencasts.  If anyone wants the key, just let me know.

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Jacek Laskowski
On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:06 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since then I've been thinking some more screencasts would be great.  Not long 10 minute ones with lots of talking, but rather super quick demos, aimed at 2 minutes or less.  Who doesn't have two minutes?
>
> Not sure if it can be done in 2 minutes, but seems like a really fun idea.  Inspired by the ApacheCon Lightening Talks, which are 5 minutes or less, I thought it would be fun to call them Lightening Demos.

Hi,

A really great idea. I've been thinking about screencasting for a
while and did some actually, but the idea died eventually after a few,
with none about OpenEJB. I used to do screencasting in Polish and
never in English, so that's gonna make a difference. I've got my
license for ScreenFlow and want to take it for a spin this week. We'll
see how it works out.

I go for the simple-stateless sample. If you could share what the
steps I should take during the screencast, it'd be great.

Jacek

Jacek Laskowski
Notatnik Projektanta Java EE - http://jaceklaskowski.pl

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Hey all

   For each Lightning Demo, please add its information and related
comments and/or link in [1]. Thanks in advance.

[1] - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENEJB/Lightening+Demos

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Jacek Laskowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:06 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Since then I've been thinking some more screencasts would be great.  Not long 10 minute ones with lots of talking, but rather super quick demos, aimed at 2 minutes or less.  Who doesn't have two minutes?
>>
>> Not sure if it can be done in 2 minutes, but seems like a really fun idea.  Inspired by the ApacheCon Lightening Talks, which are 5 minutes or less, I thought it would be fun to call them Lightening Demos.
>
> Hi,
>
> A really great idea. I've been thinking about screencasting for a
> while and did some actually, but the idea died eventually after a few,
> with none about OpenEJB. I used to do screencasting in Polish and
> never in English, so that's gonna make a difference. I've got my
> license for ScreenFlow and want to take it for a spin this week. We'll
> see how it works out.
>
> I go for the simple-stateless sample. If you could share what the
> steps I should take during the screencast, it'd be great.
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski
> Notatnik Projektanta Java EE - http://jaceklaskowski.pl

- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Jacek Laskowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:06 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Since then I've been thinking some more screencasts would be great.  Not long 10 minute ones with lots of talking, but rather super quick demos, aimed at 2 minutes or less.  Who doesn't have two minutes?
>>
>> Not sure if it can be done in 2 minutes, but seems like a really fun idea.  Inspired by the ApacheCon Lightening Talks, which are 5 minutes or less, I thought it would be fun to call them Lightening Demos.
>
> Hi,
>
> A really great idea. I've been thinking about screencasting for a
> while and did some actually, but the idea died eventually after a few,
> with none about OpenEJB. I used to do screencasting in Polish and
> never in English, so that's gonna make a difference. I've got my
> license for ScreenFlow and want to take it for a spin this week. We'll
> see how it works out.

Here's a cool spin on that idea.  We really just need to record the
screencast once.  After that we can redo the audio as many times as we
like.  Any audio recording software would work -- say Voice Memo on
the iPhone.

We actually have a lot of languages between all of us.  And recording
audio is way easier than doing a whole screencast.

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Brilliant Idea :), we are like gonna make OpenEJB Studios for Recording Demos :D

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:08 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Jacek Laskowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:06 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Since then I've been thinking some more screencasts would be great.  Not long 10 minute ones with lots of talking, but rather super quick demos, aimed at 2 minutes or less.  Who doesn't have two minutes?
>>>
>>> Not sure if it can be done in 2 minutes, but seems like a really fun idea.  Inspired by the ApacheCon Lightening Talks, which are 5 minutes or less, I thought it would be fun to call them Lightening Demos.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A really great idea. I've been thinking about screencasting for a
>> while and did some actually, but the idea died eventually after a few,
>> with none about OpenEJB. I used to do screencasting in Polish and
>> never in English, so that's gonna make a difference. I've got my
>> license for ScreenFlow and want to take it for a spin this week. We'll
>> see how it works out.
>
> Here's a cool spin on that idea.  We really just need to record the
> screencast once.  After that we can redo the audio as many times as we
> like.  Any audio recording software would work -- say Voice Memo on
> the iPhone.
>
> We actually have a lot of languages between all of us.  And recording
> audio is way easier than doing a whole screencast.

- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> we are like gonna make OpenEJB Studios for Recording Demos :D

Hehe.  Ok, so I cranked out some prototypes.  No audio yet.  I figured
we could add that later.  Some of these are pretty good and some are
only so-so.

http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/SimpleStateless.mov
http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/SimpleStateful.mov
http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/InjectionOfDataSource.mov
http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/InjectionOfEntityManager.mov
http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/TestCaseInjection.mov
http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/AlternateDescriptors.mov
http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/SimpleMdb.mov
http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/SimpleWebService.mov

Still uploading these, so if the link doesn't work, give it a few
minutes and try again.  Not the final destination obviously, just
temporary as we might still want to do some audio before really
publishing.  I started doing audio for the first one I made and
quickly lost an hour and a half just trying to plot out what to say
and get it in down in the right amount time.  So I just decided to
delay the polish and see how many I could crank out.

It was really hard to stay under 2 minutes.  I did numerous takes of
the first few and then just sort of gave up and figured in the 2
minute range is good enough.

The MDB example really doesn't show the connections (the mental kind
of connection) between the testcase and the MDB because that helper
EJB has all the really interesting code and the testcase has almost
nothing.  When that example was written we didn't have the
@LocalClient/testcase-injection support yet so we pretty much had to
use an mdb to get access to the connection factory, etc.  Now we can
move all that code right into the test case and delete the helper EJB.

The simple-webservice is pretty beefy and too hard to get through in 2
minutes.  We could probably split that one into two examples;
simple-webserivce (no handler chain) and webservice-handlers (so we
can specifically focus on the handler chain stuff).

Anyway, looking forward to some feedback!

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Oh, and so I don't forget .. was using 1024x640 screen resolution.
Seemed to be the best.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  So I just decided to delay the polish and see how many I could crank out.

That's really funny you mentioned 'polish' while I've been wondering
about doing screencasting in English :)

Jacek

Jacek Laskowski
Notatnik Projektanta Java EE - http://jaceklaskowski.pl

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

dsh-3
David will do the english flicks and you the Polish one... hummm I
suspect that would be a disadvantage for David ;)

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Jacek Laskowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  So I just decided to delay the polish and see how many I could crank out.
>
> That's really funny you mentioned 'polish' while I've been wondering
> about doing screencasting in English :)
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski
> Notatnik Projektanta Java EE - http://jaceklaskowski.pl

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

dsh-3
Damn messed up the joke... LOL :D

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Jacek Laskowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  So I just decided to delay the polish and see how many I could crank out.
>
> That's really funny you mentioned 'polish' while I've been wondering
> about doing screencasting in English :)

Funny.  I meant polish as in to make shiny.  But anyway, be my guest :)

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:23 AM, dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damn messed up the joke... LOL :D

Haha... I'd still be at a disadvantage :)

On twitter, mohammadnour Mohammad Nour
> @dblevins Would you please add then into Lightning Demos Wiki page :).
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENEJB/Lightening+Demos

Sure, we can put them up on the website now.  We'd want to put them in
vimeo or youtube -- last time we posted a .mov file and blogged about
it, many people couldn't watch it.

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Hey all...

   I got an e-mail from [1] asking me for confirming my account
information, although I didn't create any account on it. I just wanna
make sure that this is not a spam or a hacking ? Anybody knows about
that ?

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Jacek Laskowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:25 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>  So I just decided to delay the polish and see how many I could crank out.
>>
>> That's really funny you mentioned 'polish' while I've been wondering
>> about doing screencasting in English :)
>>

> Funny.  I meant polish as in to make shiny.  But anyway, be my guest :)
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:23 AM, dsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Damn messed up the joke... LOL :D
>
> Haha... I'd still be at a disadvantage :)
>
> On twitter, mohammadnour Mohammad Nour
>> @dblevins Would you please add then into Lightning Demos Wiki page :).
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENEJB/Lightening+Demos
>
> Sure, we can put them up on the website now.  We'd want to put them in
> vimeo or youtube -- last time we posted a .mov file and blogged about
> it, many people couldn't watch it.

- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey all...
>
>   I got an e-mail from [1] asking me for confirming my account
> information, although I didn't create any account on it. I just wanna
> make sure that this is not a spam or a hacking ? Anybody knows about
> that ?

I sent those out so we can all upload videos.

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sure, we can put them up on the website now.  We'd want to put them in
>> vimeo or youtube -- last time we posted a .mov file and blogged about
>> it, many people couldn't watch it.

Uploading them now to http://vimeo.com/openejb

Bought us an upgraded account so we can post HD videos.  If you can
add them to the Lightening Demo page that'd be great.  As well I'll
try and craft up a blog post for them.

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Deal ;)

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey all...
>>
>>   I got an e-mail from [1] asking me for confirming my account
>> information, although I didn't create any account on it. I just wanna
>> make sure that this is not a spam or a hacking ? Anybody knows about
>> that ?
>
> I sent those out so we can all upload videos.
>
>> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Sure, we can put them up on the website now.  We'd want to put them in
>>> vimeo or youtube -- last time we posted a .mov file and blogged about
>>> it, many people couldn't watch it.
>
> Uploading them now to http://vimeo.com/openejb
>
> Bought us an upgraded account so we can post HD videos.  If you can
> add them to the Lightening Demo page that'd be great.  As well I'll
> try and craft up a blog post for them.

- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Oh, and so I don't forget .. was using 1024x640 screen resolution.
> Seemed to be the best.

Darn, vimeo counts anything below 1280x720 as not HD and will
downgrade the video significantly.  Had to re-export everything from
Screenflow as 125% of the actual size just so vimeo would not cut the
quality down so much.

http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Mental note... set my display to at least 1280x800.

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

Mohammad Nour El-Din
Sorry for the question, but I don't know how to login, do I have to
create my own account, or there are something like shared password ?

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:22 AM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM, David Blevins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Oh, and so I don't forget .. was using 1024x640 screen resolution.
>> Seemed to be the best.
>
> Darn, vimeo counts anything below 1280x720 as not HD and will
> downgrade the video significantly.  Had to re-export everything from
> Screenflow as 125% of the actual size just so vimeo would not cut the
> quality down so much.
>
> http://vimeo.com/help/compression
>
> Mental note... set my display to at least 1280x800.

- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein

than your best."

"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
- Steve Jobs

Re: Idea: Lightening demos

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry for the question, but I don't know how to login, do I have to
> create my own account, or there are something like shared password ?

Will send you the pass.  Apparently they allow multiple emails, but
just one pass.

The HD quality videos seem really terrible to me.  They constantly
pause then skip ahead so fast you can't see the commands that were
typed.

Anyone else seeing this?