How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Frankie
Now it has happened the second time to me that I prepared to work on a task
and only by chance noticed in time that someone else has already picked it
up.
It would be frustrating spending time for nothing - or knowing that someone
else did (when I have been faster)

David said "Most important thing I think is to say what code you'll be
working on before you invest the time, just to make sure someone else is not
also cleaning the same code (duplication)."
(http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/JIRA-ticket-and-PR-s-td4685790.html)
- but I dont't know how to do this.

The two examples:

[1]
http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Merging-Old-and-New-Websites-td4685488.html
David worked on this when I wanted to add some notes to the website. There
was no JIRA ticket. So obviously it's not enough to check JIRA before
creating a new ticket ...

[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TOMEE/issues/TOMEE-2316?filter=allopenissues
When I prepared to have a look at this I saw a PR message in the mailing
list.
There was a JIRA ticket but noone seemed to be working on it since it was
unassigned ...

So I wonder how this is organized in this project. How can I know that a
task is "free" (noone working on it) and how can I tell the community that
I'm gonna work on a task?
When I read throught the mailing list I often found that for every task
there should be a JIRA ticket. But it doesn't seem to happen in real life
reliably. And even when I create a JIRA ticket I have no permission to
assign it to myself to let others know that I will do the task.

Any hints to help me to feel more comfortable? Is there an "official
workflow"?



--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

César Hernández Mendoza
Thanks, Frankie for your feedback.

I have also found a little hard to navigate across the scenario you
describe.
it seems we (non committer) don't have enough flexibility to interact and
therefore we can't depend on JIRA workflow.

The happy path scenario would be to have JIRA workflow access, but if that
is not possible I wonder if, in the same way, we have committers reviewing
PRs, we can also have committers performing JIRA administration task.
This means that after a non-committer creates a Jira ticket, he/she should
ask in the list for a committer to assign the JIRA.

About the PR without Jira tickets, I wonder if in the past there are some
lessons learned when the project tried to have a "no JIRA, no PR merge"
policy. Without that background, my vote would be +1, but I would like to
hear more opinions and point of views.


El mar., 4 dic. 2018 a las 6:34, Frankie (<[hidden email]>)
escribió:

> Now it has happened the second time to me that I prepared to work on a task
> and only by chance noticed in time that someone else has already picked it
> up.
> It would be frustrating spending time for nothing - or knowing that someone
> else did (when I have been faster)
>
> David said "Most important thing I think is to say what code you'll be
> working on before you invest the time, just to make sure someone else is
> not
> also cleaning the same code (duplication)."
> (
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/JIRA-ticket-and-PR-s-td4685790.html
> )
> - but I dont't know how to do this.
>
> The two examples:
>
> [1]
>
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Merging-Old-and-New-Websites-td4685488.html
> David worked on this when I wanted to add some notes to the website. There
> was no JIRA ticket. So obviously it's not enough to check JIRA before
> creating a new ticket ...
>
> [2]
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TOMEE/issues/TOMEE-2316?filter=allopenissues
> When I prepared to have a look at this I saw a PR message in the mailing
> list.
> There was a JIRA ticket but noone seemed to be working on it since it was
> unassigned ...
>
> So I wonder how this is organized in this project. How can I know that a
> task is "free" (noone working on it) and how can I tell the community that
> I'm gonna work on a task?
> When I read throught the mailing list I often found that for every task
> there should be a JIRA ticket. But it doesn't seem to happen in real life
> reliably. And even when I create a JIRA ticket I have no permission to
> assign it to myself to let others know that I will do the task.
>
> Any hints to help me to feel more comfortable? Is there an "official
> workflow"?
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from:
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
>


--
Atentamente:
César Hernández Mendoza.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

jgallimore
Hi Frankie

It should be possible for us to assign a JIRA to you now. If you post and
ask, we'll do that as quickly as we can.

Apologies for the problems you've had, and thank you for the feedback. I do
hope you continue, I'm sure we can work these issues out.

Jon

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018, 15:17 César Hernández Mendoza <[hidden email]
wrote:

> Thanks, Frankie for your feedback.
>
> I have also found a little hard to navigate across the scenario you
> describe.
> it seems we (non committer) don't have enough flexibility to interact and
> therefore we can't depend on JIRA workflow.
>
> The happy path scenario would be to have JIRA workflow access, but if that
> is not possible I wonder if, in the same way, we have committers reviewing
> PRs, we can also have committers performing JIRA administration task.
> This means that after a non-committer creates a Jira ticket, he/she should
> ask in the list for a committer to assign the JIRA.
>
> About the PR without Jira tickets, I wonder if in the past there are some
> lessons learned when the project tried to have a "no JIRA, no PR merge"
> policy. Without that background, my vote would be +1, but I would like to
> hear more opinions and point of views.
>
>
> El mar., 4 dic. 2018 a las 6:34, Frankie (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
>
> > Now it has happened the second time to me that I prepared to work on a
> task
> > and only by chance noticed in time that someone else has already picked
> it
> > up.
> > It would be frustrating spending time for nothing - or knowing that
> someone
> > else did (when I have been faster)
> >
> > David said "Most important thing I think is to say what code you'll be
> > working on before you invest the time, just to make sure someone else is
> > not
> > also cleaning the same code (duplication)."
> > (
> >
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/JIRA-ticket-and-PR-s-td4685790.html
> > )
> > - but I dont't know how to do this.
> >
> > The two examples:
> >
> > [1]
> >
> >
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Merging-Old-and-New-Websites-td4685488.html
> > David worked on this when I wanted to add some notes to the website.
> There
> > was no JIRA ticket. So obviously it's not enough to check JIRA before
> > creating a new ticket ...
> >
> > [2]
> >
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/TOMEE/issues/TOMEE-2316?filter=allopenissues
> > When I prepared to have a look at this I saw a PR message in the mailing
> > list.
> > There was a JIRA ticket but noone seemed to be working on it since it was
> > unassigned ...
> >
> > So I wonder how this is organized in this project. How can I know that a
> > task is "free" (noone working on it) and how can I tell the community
> that
> > I'm gonna work on a task?
> > When I read throught the mailing list I often found that for every task
> > there should be a JIRA ticket. But it doesn't seem to happen in real life
> > reliably. And even when I create a JIRA ticket I have no permission to
> > assign it to myself to let others know that I will do the task.
> >
> > Any hints to help me to feel more comfortable? Is there an "official
> > workflow"?
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Sent from:
> > http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
> >
>
>
> --
> Atentamente:
> César Hernández Mendoza.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Frankie
Hi Jon,

that's great. So others could see that I am working on a task.

However for the above mentioned samples this would not help me to see if a
task is already in progress by someone else - when there is "no ticket" or
"ticket not assigned".

That's why I asked if there are any rules or a defined workflow - I need to
understand the way we actually cooperate in this project.

Perhaps I just think too complicated - obviously it worked somehow in the
past. I just want to know how ...

Frankie




--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Richard Monson-Haefel
I think the process needs to be documented and made a part of the "Getting
Started Contributing" that I would like to write.  Can someone give a list
of general steps that must be followed when a new person (or any person)
decides to work on TomEE?

For example:
1. Check JIRA
2. Ask on Mailing list
3 ....

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:17 AM Frankie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> that's great. So others could see that I am working on a task.
>
> However for the above mentioned samples this would not help me to see if a
> task is already in progress by someone else - when there is "no ticket" or
> "ticket not assigned".
>
> That's why I asked if there are any rules or a defined workflow - I need to
> understand the way we actually cooperate in this project.
>
> Perhaps I just think too complicated - obviously it worked somehow in the
> past. I just want to know how ...
>
> Frankie
>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from:
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
>


--
Richard Monson-Haefel
https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Frankie
In reply to this post by Frankie
I found hints at http://tomee.apache.org/dev/contribution-tips.html but the
important point "how to assign" a task to a person is not completely clear
there.

So the workflow for a task one is interested in could be like this?:

[1] Check JIRA
- create ticket, if not exists
- (request to) assign ticket
=> the assignment of the ticket could raise an automated post in the mailing
list

[2] Process Task
- fork repo
- create branch in fork
- discuss on mailing list / in JIRA ticket (prefered?)
- work on code

[3] Submit Change
- create PR
- ask for review on mailing list

[4] Merge Change (by a committer)
- review changes
- merge code
- change JIRA ticket status / close ticket => would help to inform
contributor that merge is done ...

[5] Clean up
- wait until PR is merged (ticket status change)
- remove branch in fork

I think it would be important not only to have this defined (and documented)
but that it matches the way we act in working on tasks so one can rely on
it.

    Frankie




--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Frankie
Extended considering
http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Stabilize-TomEE-Build-td4685909.html 

[1] Check JIRA
- create ticket, if not exists
- (request to) assign ticket
=> the assignment of the ticket could raise an automated post in the mailing
list

[2] Process Task
- fork repo
- create branch in fork
- discuss on mailing list / in JIRA ticket (prefered?)
- work on code

[3] Submit Change
- create PR
- ask for review on mailing list

[4] Merge Change (by a committer)
- review changes
- merge code
- change JIRA ticket status / close ticket => would help to inform
contributor that merge is done ...

[5] Monitor build - on build errors caused by my changes:
- reopen JIRA ticket
- comment ticket
- fix build issues
- goto [3]

[6] Clean up
- wait until PR is merged (ticket status change)
- remove branch in fork

Frankie



--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

jgallimore
Hi Frankie

This is awesome, and thank you for posting it. JIRAs actually do post to a
mailing list - but it is [hidden email] as opposed to dev@. You
should be able to to subscribe by sending an email to
[hidden email].

Commenting on JIRA themselves and tracking tasks there is good, but I would
encourage posting on dev@ as well, so your audience is a wide as possible.

The link you posted is on the old version of the site - do you know if we
have a copy on the new site? If not, it would be great to shift this over,
include your list, and update it (I notice this page references svn, for
example).

Thanks

Jon

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:46 AM Frankie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Extended considering
>
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Stabilize-TomEE-Build-td4685909.html
>
> [1] Check JIRA
> - create ticket, if not exists
> - (request to) assign ticket
> => the assignment of the ticket could raise an automated post in the
> mailing
> list
>
> [2] Process Task
> - fork repo
> - create branch in fork
> - discuss on mailing list / in JIRA ticket (prefered?)
> - work on code
>
> [3] Submit Change
> - create PR
> - ask for review on mailing list
>
> [4] Merge Change (by a committer)
> - review changes
> - merge code
> - change JIRA ticket status / close ticket => would help to inform
> contributor that merge is done ...
>
> [5] Monitor build - on build errors caused by my changes:
> - reopen JIRA ticket
> - comment ticket
> - fix build issues
> - goto [3]
>
> [6] Clean up
> - wait until PR is merged (ticket status change)
> - remove branch in fork
>
> Frankie
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from:
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Richard Monson-Haefel
In reply to this post by Frankie
Awesome!  I'll combine this with JG's feedback in a guide.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:35 AM Frankie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found hints at http://tomee.apache.org/dev/contribution-tips.html but
> the
> important point "how to assign" a task to a person is not completely clear
> there.
>
> So the workflow for a task one is interested in could be like this?:
>
> [1] Check JIRA
> - create ticket, if not exists
> - (request to) assign ticket
> => the assignment of the ticket could raise an automated post in the
> mailing
> list
>
> [2] Process Task
> - fork repo
> - create branch in fork
> - discuss on mailing list / in JIRA ticket (prefered?)
> - work on code
>
> [3] Submit Change
> - create PR
> - ask for review on mailing list
>
> [4] Merge Change (by a committer)
> - review changes
> - merge code
> - change JIRA ticket status / close ticket => would help to inform
> contributor that merge is done ...
>
> [5] Clean up
> - wait until PR is merged (ticket status change)
> - remove branch in fork
>
> I think it would be important not only to have this defined (and
> documented)
> but that it matches the way we act in working on tasks so one can rely on
> it.
>
>     Frankie
>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from:
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
>


--
Richard Monson-Haefel
https://twitter.com/rmonson
https://www.linkedin.com/in/monsonhaefel/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Frankie
In reply to this post by jgallimore
Hi Jon,

could you send me the mail address of the JIRA mailing list per PM? It's
replaced here by "hidden email" ...

(Most of )The content from the link I posted will be at
http://tomee.apache.org/community/contributing/contribution-tips.html - as
soon as the current master branch is published.

I think we could split this into "contribution tips" with (only) general
hints on contributing and something like "workflow" with the description of
the steps when taking up a task.

Frankie



--
Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

jgallimore
JIRA notifications should go to [hidden email]. I don't know if you
can reply to it and have it update the ticket - never tried it.

Is that what you were after?

Jon

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:48 PM Frankie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> could you send me the mail address of the JIRA mailing list per PM? It's
> replaced here by "hidden email" ...
>
> (Most of )The content from the link I posted will be at
> http://tomee.apache.org/community/contributing/contribution-tips.html - as
> soon as the current master branch is published.
>
> I think we could split this into "contribution tips" with (only) general
> hints on contributing and something like "workflow" with the description of
> the steps when taking up a task.
>
> Frankie
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from:
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Frankie
In reply to this post by jgallimore
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

brunobat
Hi Frankie,

I suggest a middle step between 3. and 4. related to PR review:

Review PR

* Checkout master: `git checkout master`

* Update master: `git fetch upstream` and `git rebase upstream/master`

* Create a local review branch: `git checkout -b review-prXXX`

* Switch to review branch: `checkout review-prXXX`

* Checkout PR: `git fetch upstream pull/XXX/head:prXXX`

* Merge PR into review branch: `git merge prXXX`

* Most times you don't need to build the whole project. It depends on
what code is being added/changed. If it's and example, go to the
sub-project and do a `mvn clean install` there.

* If it's an example, check the guidelines for compliance:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/blob/master/examples/README.adoc


I think we could place Frankie's guidelines as a file in the project, as
a PR. What do you guys think?

Cheers

Bruno Baptista
https://twitter.com/brunobat_


On 08/12/18 15:49, Frankie wrote:
> Follow up discussion on workflow to
> http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TOMEE-2339-Describe-Workflow-for-Contribution-td4686169.html
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/TomEE-Dev-f982480.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find out that someone else is already working on a task

Frankie